• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Free Copy Of Pokédex 3D Pro With Download Copy Of X/Y At GAME

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Now, as many of you may remember GAME announced that people who pre-order a physical copy of Pokémon X or Pokémon Y will get a special Pokéball case for their 3DS games.
Pokédex_3D_Pro_logo.png
Well, this week GAME decided to announce quite a sweet deal for those of you who wish to buy a downloadable copy of Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. If you pre-purchase a copy of one of the games then not only will the download code be sent out to you before the games are released, you'll also be sent a free download code right away for Pokédex 3D Pro which normally costs £13.49.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Oh, ugh... Downloadable copy :(. No thanks!

I'm sure Nintendo are willing to transfer your games to a new console if you upgrade, but I'm not sure what happens if your 3DS is lost or stolen. And in all the generations so far, it's been useful to be able to move the cartridge to another handheld for trading.

Also, we don't have a GAME near us any more, and I'm leery as hell about ordering from the big one on Oxford Street (nearest Richard's work) after they simply handed out the preorder bonus for Black/White to the first people in the queue instead of the people with proof that they preordered >_<.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Oh, ugh... Downloadable copy :(. No thanks!

I'm sure Nintendo are willing to transfer your games to a new console if you upgrade, but I'm not sure what happens if your 3DS is lost or stolen. And in all the generations so far, it's been useful to be able to move the cartridge to another handheld for trading.

Nintendo, following repeated questioning, continues to insist that the fact they need a unified user account across their platforms is "on their radar" - which would make this problem null - but at this point, we can't even begin to guess when they might actually get around to it. Some of the infrastructure is there on the Wii U - but it's 100% not around on the 3DS at all yet. I expect that they'd bring that along when Miiverse finally makes it to the 3DS, but Nintendo's been saying that's on the way for over a year. At this stage, Nintendo time is getting worse than Valve time.

Unless losing your 3DS is really a prospect that's worth considering, I wouldn't worry about it too much (and any purchases will be retroactively applied to your account for sure - it would be catastrophic for Nintendo to do anything else) - and if you don't already own the Pokedex 3D, this is an adequate bonus for buying Pokemon digitally (which is quite worth it anyway given the benefit of always having it with you on the system). It's also worth considering that your Pokemon can probably (depending on the limits of the system - we don't know yet) be stored safely in Pokemon Bank regardless.

I'm getting one copy physically, and probably the other one - or the next game - digitally. I'd be tempted with this offer if I didn't already waste the money on the Pokedex app ages ago.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I was one of few people who actually held out on buying the Pokédex app, so when GAME announced this I went for it, despite having not really wanted to buy my first game this generation digitally.

Nintendo not having games tied to an account was the main reason for not wanting to go digital yet, but at the same time I'm not all too much at risk of breaking or losing my XL because lets face it, the thing is too big to really take out the house with you on long trips, and nothing is going to happen to it inside.

Pokémon Bank will likely fix any issues of trading Pokémon and it's safe storage because if it truly does work where you log into an account to access your Pokémon, then even if you broke your 3DS and lost X/Y you'd still have access to the Pokémon on a fresh copy of the game.

So, yeah. First game will now be digital while I buy the second physically. Holding out on the Pokédex thing was one of the better choices I've made in recent months, too. It's certainly nice and a lot of the Pokémon look adorable, but wasn't worth the pricetag. :p