• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

FR/LG release date in Canada

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm hoping Gary's wrong about this...

For any Canadians around here who tried to buy FR/LG today, did your store give it to you?
When I went to get FR my gaming store, EBGames, told me the official release date wasn't until Thursday, thus they couldn't sell it to me yet. I wanna know if this was the case for everyone or just for that one store (although, when I hit Futureshop they didn't have the games out either).

I know atleast one person who can answer this... *Pokes QQ*

The following is an actual transcript of the events of Monday and Tuesday of the week of September 5, 2004. WARNING: some scenes may shock and disturb you. Reader descretion is advised.

~~Monday, September 6, 2004. 2:30 pm. An phone conversation between me and a buddy at EBGames.~~

"Hello, EBGames, your GameCube headquarters, Jean-Paul speaking."

"Hey, Jean-Paul, Ryan here."

"Hey, 'sup? Verifying your LeafGreen pre-order?"

"Yeah. It's in tomorrow, right?"

"Yup."

"Hm. I'm working tomorrow from 3-12, any chance I can come in earlier to pick it up?"

"I guess. We don't normally open the boxes of new shipments until mid-to-late afternoon, but if you come in around 2, 2:30, we can open up the box and pull one out for you."

"Awesome. All right, then, guess I'll see you tomorrow!"

"Later."

~~Fast-forward to Tuesday, September 7, 2004. 2:10 pm.~~

I walk into EBGames. The first words I hear are...

"The games don't come out until Thursday."

It was Jean-Paul. I stop dead in my tracks. Could it be? Could the September 9 date be true after all? Could it be possible that EBGames computers merely mentioned the date they got the games?

"We got them in this morning, they're in the storage room in a box. We're not allowed to sell them until Thursday."

Well, there goes the rest of my day. The whole morning was wasted, waiting for this moment.

"Did you get the Player's Guides in?"

"Yep, right there," he says, gesturing to a pile of Prima guides.

"No, I mean the REAL ones."

"Oh...no."

~~~~

I know, I know. Not only did I not get the game, but now the Player's Guides have been delayed, too. The copy I ordered in the mail still hasn't shipped yet, and was supposed to be shipped on August 31. Anyways, to everyone not living in New York, looks like we've got at least a two-day wait on our hands. Some of you have longer waits. You know who you are.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
You want to know who was the first to say it was September 7th?

All the way back at the E3?

Have you guessed yet?

It's pretty obvious..

It's none other than your friend, and mine...

GEORGE HARRISON OF NOA.

Maybe THAT would explain your troubles. ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
And to think, in another topic I was trying to give Harrison the benefit of a doubt.

Never again :evil:

Your experience sounded about as bad as mine, QQ. Good to know I wasn't the only grumpy buyer that day.

And speaking of guides, the Prima ones looked pretty good except for one problem: No egg moves. It had Move tutor moves but nothing on breeding, and that's what I love most about my NP R/S guide :?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Speaking of Prima.... i'm still awaiting my reply from them... *taps foot Sonic Style* They get till the weekend before i begin to hassle them. ^^

Awesome, thanks! That give me an excuse to use a smiley I haven't used in a long time!
QQEvail.gif

Today's the day, mateys! In less than three hours I will be in possession of my very own copy of LeafGreen! Then I'm off to my friend's house for starter collecting and Wireless action! (He's got a head start: Toys 'R' Us sold them yesterday.)

Still gotta wait to get that guide...or even for it to ship. (I wonder if the people that ordered the NP bundle get the guides, or if they'll be shipped out to them seperately?)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wha-hey! I finally got FR - as well as LG, which wasn't planned.

You wanna know something incredibly annoying though?
Turns out that EBGames called up my mom (my designated contact #) on Wednesday afternoon and said "FireRed just came in. You can pick it up at any time".
Hold up - just came in? Wednesday afternoon?! *Bangs head against desk*

Oi... Either it was a different guy who made that call or the one I talked to on Tuesday is a complete moron. He bloody showed me my copy of FR Tuesday morning. Blah.

You still got yours at EB? Hm. My friend told me that Toys 'R' Us has this deal on where you could get both games for $78 or something like that. It's 22% off, but only when you get both games.

My LeafGreen is awesome! I've played just a couple hours, far enough to beat Gary on Route 22 with a Level 4 Mankey, Level 8 Pidgey, Rattata and Squirtle, and Level 9 Bulbasaur and Charmander (my friend and I got together to test out the Union Room with a couple of trades :D ).

Still waiting for my Player's Guide to so much as ship...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I just pre-ordered my copy of Pokemon 'Flame' today. -_-. These people work in the top game-store chain in the UK and they can't even get the name of the game right. What's worse is that they even tried to CORRECT me when i told them 3 times that it was Fire Red.

Got the crappy Trainer's guide over here too by the way.

Either way, i have my copy of Pokemon Fire Red secured for me for October 1st.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
No, you got that wrong.

It's nearly as bad as FireRed.

I bet George Harrison was behind that.

He should be shot violently in the face.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QuagsireQing said:
You still got yours at EB? Hm. My friend told me that Toys 'R' Us has this deal on where you could get both games for $78 or something like that. It's 22% off, but only when you get both games.

Yeah, mostly because they already had my reserved copy of FR in. As for LG, they pretty much seduced me into buying it too because of their "Buy both get $20" deal :oops:

Toys R' Us always has great stuff like that going on... Too bad PEI doesn't have a single one :(

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
QuagsireQing said:
You seem to have something against him...

I'm a Reggie-Man. :wink:

Well, i was until he started using polls on Gamefags as viable proof of opinion. Now he has a dent in my opinion rates of him, which he'll have to fix by showing another fabulous Zelda trailer. ^^