• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

For the Animal Crossing fans...

Is Sudowoodo a Gyroid?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • They are clearly related, I'm just not sure what the relation _is_.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Because it's 2.30am and we're having surreal thoughts...

Is Sudowoodo a Gyroid? :).

I dunno...Gyroids are sweet, and so are Sudowoodo...

I hope they include Gyroids in Animal Crossing for the DS, they're awsome things to set in time with your house's music, but...Gyroids don't and never should have legs. Otherwise, they could escape! :shock:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sudowoodo does kind of boogie down in Colosseum like the Gyroid outside your front door... I say they're related! Sudowoodo is the evolved form of Gyroids :D

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I like the idea of Sudowoodo being the evolved form of a Gyroid. It even fits: Sudowoodo is a Rock pokemon, and Gyroids are dug out of the ground...

Actually, I can't believe I forgot this, but apparently Gyroids are based on ancient Japanese sculptures called haniwa. They are made of baked clay, and their purpose was to decorate and identify Japanese burial grounds. Apparently the reason they are so simple is because they had to be made quickly. So I suppose if these figures are a well-known part of Japanese history, it wouldn't be surprising for something (at least part-) based on them to make it into several different games. We have Sudowoodo (and Baltoy/Claydol) in Pokemon, Gyroids in Animal Crossing, and Cactuars from Final Fantasy... Of course, Sudowoodo and Cactuars have plant influences as well.

I need Gyroids in my real life house. I'd have thought Gyroid action figures would be fairly easy to make (you'd just need a battery or a wind-up mechanism to set them going), but it seems you can only get Gyroid plushes, not action figures :(.