• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Other First triples team

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Electivire @ Air Balloon
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ion Deluge
- Discharge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Lilligant (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 166 Def / 4 SpA / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
- Teeter Dance
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Light Screen

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Psyshock
- Will-O-Wisp

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw
- Heat Wave
- Iron Tail

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Discharge
- Flame Burst
- Signal Beam

Gastrodon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover

I'm sure that having a dedicated set-up for my lead will be my downfall at some point, and I have next to no experience with triple battles... But now that they are available on showdown I can finally throw together this strategy I came up with a while back when I first stumbled onto Ion Deluge.

Electivire - the lesser half of my opening strategy, Ion Deluge electrifies all normal type attacks, causing them to become electric-type. I chose Discharge over a physical STAB despite also having manectric because the team is built to take the hit one way or another - either being immune to it or simply capable of taking the hit. Ice hits ground types and Earthquake will take care of many opposing electric types.

Lilligant - the greater half of my opening strategy, Teeter Dance hits all adjacent pokemon and confuses the entire field in Lilligant's position... but with Ion Deluge tacked on, Electivire instead boosts in speed and Manectric has the potential to boost in special attack. I had originally thought ground types would be immune to the effect much like Thunder Wave, but that isn't the case as it turns out. Other moves exist just to help support the team - Giga Drain being able to cover the water/ground that Electivire can't itself.

Ninetales - The sunlight provided Ensures Liligant's speed and also provides me something of an indirect defense against other heavily electric teams, since they will often have an important core in Rain Dance. That aside, Ninetales is just a supporting attacker.

Manectric - Very much appreciates the boost to special attack in the event I can safely swap Ninetales for Manectric during the opening turn when I use Teeter Dance. That aside, Manectric appreciates sunlight more than probably any other electric type [Eelektross and Heliolisk are up for debate] giving it a boost to flamethrower and Flame Burst.

Gastrodon - Chosen for Storm Drain as well as its immunity to Discharge. It coincidentally resists the ever present Rock Slide.

Flygon - again, immune to discharge as well as Earthquake this time around and provides some nice coverage as well as a usually sun-boosted Heat Wave. Its speed stat is lowered so that it can U-turn just behind Electivire in the absence of a speed boost on 'vire, though I'm considering changing this.

I know outright that Vileplume is an option over Lilligant, but the two fulfill their role almost identically with only slightly different typing. Vileplume's superior bulk is offset by lower speed.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I imagine for the same reasons as in doubles, Protect/Detect will be strong in this format and stalling strategies not so much due to the risk of (specifically Gastrodon) getting a triple-team pounding on his recovery turn.

As for the strategy and team, Safeguard and Trick Room will likely be your biggest issues since the team is focused on speed and a status effect. Although Trick Room has seen a drop in use lately, you should still be wary of it.