• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

First Pokémon World Tournament Download Goes Live

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 may have only been released in Europe just over a week now, but the first downloadable tournament for the Pokémon World Tournament feature has already been released internationally for owners of the new games. This release is the first in a series of three which puts players against the top four finalists in the three different age divisions from this years Pokémon Video Game World Championships.

290px-B2W2_Prelease_World_Tournament_Cynthia_Eng.png

The first tournament which went live today sees you facing the top four players from this year's Junior Division who are:
  • Junior Division World Champ: Abram Burrows
  • Junior Division Runner-up Brian Hough
  • Junior Division 3rd Place Finisher Brendan Zheng
  • Junior Division 4th Place Finisher Kippei Takaki
The next tournament will be live to download from the 5th of November and features the top four players from this year's Senior division who are:
  • Senior Division World Champ Toler Webb
  • Senior Division Runner-up Jaime Martinez Alonzo
  • Senior Division 3rd Place Finisher Nitesh Manem
  • Senior Division 4th Place Finisher Henry Maxon
The third and final tournament will be live to download from the 19th of November and features the top four players from this year's Master Division who are:
  • Masters Division World Champ Ray Rizzo
  • Masters Division Runner-up Wolfe Glick
  • Masters Division 3rd Place Finisher Abel Martin Sanz
  • Masters Division 4th Place Finisher Joe Polkowski
To download the tournaments all you need to do is access the green computer in the Pokémon World Tournament building. There is currently no end date for downloading the Junior Division tournament, so there is no rush for those of you who have yet to reach that point in the new games.

Last edited:
It's pretty cool to battle against teams used by real-life experts... but not so cool when almost all those said teams consist of Cresselia, Tyranitar, Hitmontop, and one or two more Pseudo-Legendaries. Doesn't anyone believe in originality anymore?

Still, it made for a great challenge, and since losing means getting shards to pay off move tutors with, it's a win-win! ~:D~

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I did a silly thing and tried challenging this tournament with my level 36 Pokemon. Didn't even consider that my team wouldn't be leveled to 50. Yeaaaaaah.

But on the plus side, I got a free blue shard and my Samurott took a Crunch from Tyranitar and stayed standing! It just, y'know, died from a flick the next turn. What a great match. XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Valin said:
It's pretty cool to battle against teams used by real-life experts... but not so cool when almost all those said teams consist of Cresselia, Tyranitar, Hitmontop, and one or two more Pseudo-Legendaries. Doesn't anyone believe in originality anymore?

They're world class players, they believe in what matters: winning. Not unimportant trash like "originality."

I look forward to downloading the Masters teams, especially after seeing what Wolfe and Rizzo used in the final.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
King of Lucario said:
Valin said:

They're world class players, they believe in what matters: winning. Not unimportant trash like "originality."

Hey now, even some competitive players tend to like a bit of originality to their choices or movesets (and pride themselves when they can manage such and still win). I wouldn't call it "unimportant trash", it's just not as important as handicapping yourself for the sake of being unique. ~:)~

And I second the interest regarding the Masters tournament. It'll be fun giving it a go with my own VGC12 team. ^^

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Linkachu said:
King of Lucario said:
Valin said:

Hey now, even some competitive players tend to like a bit of originality to their choices or movesets (and pride themselves when they can manage such and still win).

Key words right there.

Also, I can't speak for Juniors and Seniors, but Masters finals saw quite a few Exeggutor/Ninetales combos running around. Still "unoriginal?"

King of Lucario said:
Linkachu said:
King of Lucario said:

Hey now, even some competitive players tend to like a bit of originality to their choices or movesets (and pride themselves when they can manage such and still win).

Key words right there.

Also, I can't speak for Juniors and Seniors, but Masters finals saw quite a few Exeggutor/Ninetales combos running around. Still "unoriginal?"

Eh. Fair enough. Besides, Brian Hough had a Sableye on his team, when I imagine most would use Spiritomb.

It's not like I didn't understand why everybody was using mostly the same Pokemon. I mean, hey, it's to be the best in the world, right? It's only natural to use whatever gives you the best chance. Compared to that, what does it matter being the proverbial Cheerio in a bowl of Cheerios?

Even though I'm totally cool with the more recent generations, I guess I'm still sort of an old-school Pokemon fan, and I believe in using Pokemon I actually like; not solely because they're useful (though if Tyranitar, Hitmontop, Hydreigon, etc. really are the favorite Pokemon of Ray Rizzo and all those other players, then hey, more power to them).

I get it, though: You don't win high-level competitions by being choosy. I really wasn't being serious when I made that statement anyway, so I'm sorry if I offended you, KoL.

As for the "unimportant trash" comment, while I'm aware originality doesn't mean much in competitive Pokemon battling, it is the innovations of man that allows civilization to ascend to greater heights.

Besides, I'm a custodian; I know all about what qualifies (and what doesn't qualify) as "trash." ~:p~