• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS First go at Battle Tower [since Emerald anyway]

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Flygon @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
Levitate
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
EVs: 180 Attack, 76 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed

Drifblim @ Starf Berry
Quiet Nature
Unburden*
- Ominous Wind / Shadow Ball / Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
EVs: 252 HP, 80-100 Def, 156-176 Speed
* Unburden's effects cannot be baton passed.

Lapras @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
Shell Armor [Though I'll take Water Absorb if I get it]
-Ice Shard
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Confuse Ray
EVs: 108 Attack, 200 Defense, 200 Sp. Attack

Flygon is going to be the lead for the team.. as most attacking leads serve, it's purpose is to tear through as much as it can before either being KO'd or feeling threatened enough to warrant U-turn.

Drifblim is my first go at a baton passer that isn't Ninjask. With it's nature and EVs, it should be slower than most offensive threats until its held item is used... and after it should be faster than most. Timing is the largest factor involving the set I'm trying, Ominous wind provides a slim chance at being able to baton pass a turbo boost, while Calm mind will let me pass an ensured two boosts.
I have to try and use Substitute on the turn Drifblim would be put between 25-50% health so that I can A) Go last on the turn the subs comes up, so it can't be destroyed right after creation. B) Activate the starf berry and unburden so I'll go first next turn.. which allows me to baton pass from behind the safe wall of a substitute.

Lapras is a tanky special attacker, as the set kind of shows. Ice Shard will give it priority in the case it would need it, as well as a STAB Ice attack to help topple dragons. Confuse ray may help it out in some situations and will also compliment leftovers.
The EVs combined with Sassy nature will give Lapras nearly equal defenses as well as hopefully allowing it to thrive even without having stats baton passed to it. If it does get a baton pass though, Starf will be useful no matter what it boosts and Calm Mind will help out the primary offense as well as some extra durability. Starf boosting speed would be the least useful to Lapras, and I might occasionally pass that to Flygon instead.

Weaknesses:
Flygon - Ice [4x], Dragon
Drifblim - Dark, Ghost, Electric, Ice, Rock
Lapras - Electric, Grass, Fighting, Rock.

Resistances:
Flygon: Electric [0x], Ground [0x], Fire, Poison, Rock
Drifblim - Normal [0x], Fighting [0x], Ground [0x], Bug [1/4], Grass, Poison.
Lapras - Ice [1/4], Water

Lapras can switch into Ice for either.
Flygon can switch into Electric for either, as well as Rock for either [though I'll have to be more careful there]
Drifblim can switch into fighting for Lapras... though I don't know how much good that'll do if I've already used Drifblim to baton pass.

Even though Flygon resists it, I would consider the team a bit weak to rock.. Flygon can't exactly take a hit because of the Life Orb.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd opt for Shadow Ball on Drifblim's first slot, otherwise he'll be in a world of shit if he ends up being left alone with Flygon and Lapras KO'd, first of all.

Flygon's fine as it is.

Lapras I would consider Water Absorb for, because the CPUs will be a lot more predictable offensively and Water Absorb will see a lot of use by extension.

If Rock does scare you a bit, you could opt for an item that doesn't damage Flygon, although Flygon's overall damage output may be compromised too heavily to be able to manage this.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Drifblim will get tests before I decide on the final set.. the main reason I didn't want to opt for Shadow Ball at first was the fact I didn't see it being of any use after a baton pass.

I'll go for whatever I get first on Lapras.. if one
doesn't work out, I'll breed a similar Lapras with the other ability. I forget that CPUs are quite a bit more predictable than human players XD

Flygon's mixed EVs/moveset was the main reason I was against removing the life orb.. though Choice Band with Fire Punch might work alright.

Thanks for the tips :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't underestimate the usefulness of Shell Armor on a Lapras, especially if you do get off a Baton Pass to it. Lucky Critical hits can really screw up plans on Battle Tower, so even though Water Absorb would be nice for the HP boosting and 100% resistance to Water-type attacks - I'd risk not having it for the improved security. Even the most powerful Water-type attack won't do too much damage to a Lapras like that, and Leftovers will help make up for switch-in resistance damage.

My fears here, like you've mentioned yourself, are Lapras going down and having to face something with Ice-type moves, or Rock-type moves in general. Having that Naive Flygon should help quite a bit, and I think Life Orb is a good direction. You wouldn't want to get stuck dealing with an opponent who held on just enough to retaliate and KO you (barring Focus Sash usage which you couldn't do anything about anyways).

Again, I like the team, and I say run with it for at least a test run. If you haven't done Battle Tower in awhile it'll be a good learning experience for future team tweaks.