• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

First Ever TV DVD Awards

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The other news today is that Video Store magazine has officially announced the nominees for the first ever TV DVD Awards. Three nominees were chosen in each of twelve categories (from over 150 entries), by a panel of experts that included myself, USA Today's Mike Snider, veteran home video journalist Bruce Apar, TV Shows on DVD.com's Gord Lacey and DVD Talk's Geoffrey Kleinman. Here's the cool part - YOU guys get to pick the winners! You can visit either Video Store's website or TV Shows on DVD.com to make your picks. The winners will be announced Oct. 19 during the second annual TV DVD Conference in Century City, CA. Here's the list of nominees:

Best Special Feature - 24: Season Two: Exposed Part One & Part Two featurette, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Sixth Season: Once More with Feeling featurette, The X-Files: The Complete Ninth Season: The Making of the Truth documentary

Best 1950s Series - Have Gun With Travel: The Complete First Season, The Honeymooners: The "Classic 39" Episodes, I Love Lucy: The Complete Second Season

Best 1960s Series - The Dick Van Dyke Show (complete series), Here's Lucy: Best-Loved Episodes, Star Trek: The Original Series Season One

Best 1970s Series - Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic Series, The Richard Pryor Show, Sonny & Cher: The Ultimate Collection

Best 1980s Series - The Kids in the Hall: Complete Season One, SCTV Network 90/Volume One, Sledge Hammer! Season One

Best 1990s Series - Freaks & Geeks: The Complete Series, The Simpsons: Complete Fourth Season, West Wing: The Complete First Season

Best 2000s Series - 24: Season Two, Alias: The Complete Second Season, The Sopranos: The Complete Fourth Season

Best Animated Series - Looney Tunes Golden Collection, The Simpsons: Complete Fourth Season, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete First Season

Best British TV Release - MI-5: Volume One, The Office, Pennies From Heaven

Best Compilation - The Jack Paar Collection, The Ultimate Johnny Carson Collection, Unsolved Mysteries

Best Made-for-TV Documentary - Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, How's Your News?, The World at War

Best Miniseries or TV Movie - The Reagans, Shogun, The Winds of War

Anything you agree/disagree with?

I personally don't agree with this category:

Best British TV Release - MI-5: Volume One, The Office, Pennies From Heaven

Because, apart from The Office, i havn't heard of them. And The Office sucked for rewatching, unless in a large group like in school or something.

I do however agree with Once more with Feeling being nominated for best Featurette ^^. That, however, is not the episode but something they did for the series on the DVD.

Katie may be able to clear up what exactly it is with her Merch Knowledge and the fact she has the DVD. ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
Katie may be able to clear up what exactly it is with her Merch Knowledge and the fact she has the DVD. ^^

I'm too tired to do so now but I'll look into it tomorrow morning if nobody else has already. I'm pretty sure it was a featurette that showed the making of the episode but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyways, I'll definitely be voting for Buffy's nominee. How could I not?

And I totally agree with them picking Freaks and Geeks as one of the best 90s series'. It's a very good show that got axed early solely because of a bad networking.
Although... I still think Buffy season 2 or 3 was better ;p