• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Firefly/Serenity

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Is awesome.

It owns your soul in more than a million ways.

Discuss.

(Yes, I have been watching Serenity... again :D)

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
And here I am, having only watched Serenity once, and never having heard of Firefly unitl after I'd watched it. Darn.

Brilliant film! Probably a brilliant series, but oh well, whatever! Its view of what the future'll be like is a lot like what I thought it would be like, but with uber-cool stuffs as well. Like chinese all over the place and such. And more spaceships!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Fox is an evil, demonic network which should be ransacked by zombies and burned to the ground in the process. Poetic justice I'd say ;)

Seriously, do those people have any idea what story telling is? I was already disgusted enough by Fox's insistence on airing the episodes out of freakin' order, only to can Firefly in the end, but it wasn't until I watched the interviews by Whedon that I realized how utterly stupid Fox was. Whedon already had two highly successful series' under his belt, and Fox tried to tell him that people wouldn't like his opening episode? That it'd be too boring for the target audience? That people wanted action, action, action and no character development?

Well, yeah, most mindless dolts out there do want nothing but action, but Whedon's magic comes from his attention to detail, creativity, interesting/enjoyable characters, etc. etc tied in WITH sweet-assed action stuffness. Even the X-Men comics he wrote were highly accepted by fans for his unique style. So where the bloody heck did Fox get off telling him what people wanted to see, resulting in totally screwing Firefly in the ass?! It's like they wanted it to fail from the start! You just need to look on the back of the Firefly boxset (or somewhere on the set) at the original airdates of each epi to see how moronic Fox was... Blargh. Die Fox, die.

Err... yeah. I actually do have positive things to say about Firefly/Serenity itself, but I gotta go now ^^;

EDIT: Annnd I'm back. Just as rabid fan-girlish as evar, and proud of it :)

I must admit that when I first watched Firefly on TV I didn't get into the show as easily as Buffy/Angel. It seemed... choppy; not consistant with the character development n' such. Odd, eh? *Stabs Fox*

Serenity is what made me fall in love with the series all over again. The setting... the characters... the humor. It reminded me a lot of Cowboy Bebop, only with Whedon's flair and goodness - which supremely rocks. Westerny worlds always kick all sorts of ass.

I loved the idea of English and Chinese merging considering that Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world. Besides that, many people believe that there will be one dominating language/nation in the future. Whedon gave it life in a really cool way ^^
I also enjoyed how the series tried to avoid the overly cliche ideas like aliens making contact with humans in the future or noises from the ships in space. Terra forming is still a science fictiony idea, but it's more realistic than multiple alien races forming a galatic empire :p

Firefly and Serenity were both just so great... the music, the atmosphere, the cast of characters... I .>

After I finish my annual Buffy maraton, totally rewatching Firefly/Serenity again ;D