• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Fire Fight

Um, I need help (I'm new to this site so don't hate me.) But, I focus on Fire Type Pokemon, and I need help with doing so. Here is my team.
Typhlosion Male, level 100
Attacks
1. Flamethrower
2. Lava Plume
3. Return
4. Flame Charge
Stats Attack, 199. Defense, 218. Sp. Atk, 274. Sp. Def, 198. and Speed, 234.

Charizard Male, level 90
Attacks
1. Heat Wave
2. Dragon Claw
3. Fly
4. Flamethrower
Stats Attack, 189. Defense, 184. Sp Atk, 240. Sp. Def, 191. and Speed 205.

Emboar Male, level 71
Attacks
1. Fire Pledge
2. Heat Crash
3. Flamethrower
4. Flame charge
Stats Attack, 219. Defense, 127. Sp. Atk, 164. Sp. Def, 100. and Speed 126

Blaziken Male, level 94
Attacks
1. Blaze Kick
2. Flare Blitz
3. Flamethrower
4. Earthquake
Stats Attack, 270. Defense, 163. Sp. Atk, 233. Sp. Def, 168. and Speed, 173

Serperior Male, level 71
Attacks
1. Leaf Blade
2. Coil
3. Giga Drain
4. Leaf Storm
Stats Attack, 164. Defense, 154. Sp. Atk, 134. Sp. Def, 144. and Speed, 223

Samurott Female, level 78
Attack
1. Water Pulse
2. Hydro Pump
3. Surf
4. Ice Beam
Stats Attack, 221. Defense, 147. Sp. Atk, 166. Sp. Def, 125. and Speed, 169.

I added the last two because I needed more around tactics, so I could get more advantage. And I need help on the team. So if anyone could help, I would thank you very much.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
King of Lucario said:
Once you've changed your movesets accordingly, I'll go into more detail.

You call THAT accordingly? How much of that topic did you even read? Very little by my analysis because half your movesets are just as bad as they were before and the ones you "improved" are better but still awful at best.

If you actually read the topic I linked you, you somehow managed to miss this part sitting right at the top of the page:

3 ) Never have two attacks of the same type on one Pokemon. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as Lucario running both Aura Sphere and Vacuum Wave on a set so it gets STAB priority as well as a harder-hitting STAB attack, or Kingdra running Waterfall and Hydro Pump for mixed sweeping, on top of simply having nothing else better than its STAB attacks. If you're unsure whether you have a genuine reason for using two attacks of the same type on a Pokemon, then you're far better off playing it safe and sticking to using attacks with entirely different typing.

When I said "read that" I meant read the ENTIRE TOPIC, FROM BEGINNING TO END. Can you actually go and do that this time?

I did, sir. Let me put their new moves.
Typhlosion now has Wild Charge, Focus Blast, Earthquake, and Flamethrower
Charizard now has Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Fly, and Flamethrower.
I changed nothing on Serperior since his/her small attack range...
Emboar now knows Grass Knot, Earthquake, Flamethower, and Flamecharge.
Samurott now has Waterfall, Surf, Ice Beam, and Grass knot.
And I changed Blaze Kick to Focus Blast on Blaziken.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Much better, now then:

- Typhlosion's Sp.Attack is significantly higher than his Attack here, so Wild Charge and Earthquake will be rather spare-looking compared to Focus Blast and Flamethrower. Hidden Power is an interesting option for Typhlosion if you can get a good type with it (Ice, Electric or Grass are best) to run alongside Flamethrower and Focus Blast, and I'd honestly put Substitute in the final moveslot for lack of anything better besides possibly Eruption, which is allowed alongside stuff like Flamethrower on the same set because Eruption becomes extremely weak once Typhlosion starts to take damage, so having a second Fire-type move on-hand can prevent loss of damage output. If your Hidden Power is a crap one, then Power Herb Solarbeam is the only other thing I can suggest (but this isn't optimal by any stretch.)

- 'Zard is similar to Typhlosion here (and renders Typhlosion rather redundant actually) except 'Zard has a far better movepool to his name. My personal favourite set for 'Zard carries Flamethrower, Dragon Pulse, Focus Punch and Substitute, the idea being to switch in on something that'll likely switch out from 'Zard, use Substitute, and then attack. Don't use Focus Punch unless your Sub is up or you're certain the opponent will switch out.

- Leech Seed is mandatory on any Serperior without the Dream World ability Contrary (which is all of them,) and a defensive set in general works well. Not to be repetitive or anything, but Serperior also happens to be your other, other good user of Substitute, a move that works brilliantly alongside Leech Seed and Serperior's good speed. Either a combination of Leaf Blade and Coil works well with the aforementioned, or Giga Drain + Calm Mind or Hidden Power Fire/Ice/Ground. Take your pick.

- Emboar loves Flame Charge, good to see you have it. Your Attack is quite high here, so focusing on that will be a better option, although feel free to stick Fire Blast on him for some special damage (his Sp.Attack here isn't that bad) although you've missed out your Fighting STAB attack. Brick Break over Earthquake here, and go for Wild Charge over Grass Knot since you already have a Grass-type on-hand.

- Ah, Samurott...this guy is really out of place on this team and most others actually since every other Water-type starter is better than him. That's all I can really say on him.

- Blaziken's best Fighting-type move is now officially Hi Jump Kick, so that's the best pick (watch out for Ghost-types.) Fire Blast/Flamethrower for your Fire-type attack, and then you could go for any combination of U-Turn, Brave Bird, Rock Slide...something to hit anything that would resist your Fire or Fighting-type attacks. (i.e. not Earthquake)

Well...that's all there is to it for now, although you need hold items and it's obvious you don't EV train/nature breed since your stats are very low for your levels. Also, due to you using all starters and mostly Fire-types, your team synergy is quite poor as well as it stands...you'll need a lot more variety than this to beat a competitive player with any knowledge to their name.

Thanks for the advice, Lucario, I've been thinking of adding Zoroark and Bisharp to replace Emboar and Samurott, should I? Or not?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd consider that a good idea in both cases. Emboar's made slightly redundant here by Blaziken and Samurott just isn't that great anyway. Bisharp on the other hand can use Stealth Rock for you while Zoroark does his usual Illusion + kill stuff act. I'd also consider replacing Typhlosion as well since he's made rather redundant by Charizard.

Replace Typhlosion with who though? That's my question. And I need a good move set for Zoroark and Bisharp..LEt me list their stuff now. P.S. Sorry for the late replies at times. Not my laptop, and I've been searching up the Levander Town Song and it's Humors, and bootleg versions of Pokemon. It's fun to be honest. But it's got my paranoid. But here are Zoroark and Bisharp.

Zoroark Level 62, Male
Attacks
1. Foul Play
2. Faint Attack
3. Flamethrower
4. Night Slash
Stats. Attack, 161. Defense, 106. Sp. Atk, 171. Sp. Def, 99. Speed 167

Bisharp Level 60, Female
Attacks
1. X-Scissor
2. Iron Head
3. Cut
4 Night Slash
Stats. Attack, 164. Defense, 140. Sp. Atk, 101. Sp. Def, 113. Speed, 105

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Again, both movesets show an extreme lack of gameplay knowledge.

- THREE Dark-type moves on Zoroark? If you read that topic I linked you to you sure didn't remember much of it.

- Is Cut in the list of moves in aforementioned topic? No, because it's absolutely terrible. I already suggested Stealth Rock, so why isn't it there?

As for Typhlosion, that's your choice to make. There ain't a whole lot left for me to tell you since it's the basics you need to work on. Keep reading through the link I gave you for further instruction, and I advise you to check this page out as well:

http://www.pokecharms.com/2011/06/smug- ... -the-game/

Throwing movesets at you won't help if you don't understand why I'm picking specific moves. The idea is to help you so you can make good movesets by yourself after I've given you direction.

No no, I put their old movelist up. I'm just trying to figure out a good movelist for them. And I'm thinking of maybe Haxorus

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
By "figure out" you mean just dump your Pokemon in here and let me do all the thinking for you right?

Like I said, that isn't going to do you any good at this point. What you need is the basics, and I've now given you all the information you need in the form of the two links I've posted here. Read those (and read them thoroughly because I'll know if you haven't,) use their guidance to help make your movesets...and we'll see what comes of that.