• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Films you think deserve a sequel/sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the title is self explanatory. What films do you think deserve a sequel, or another sequel? A Prequel even. Now, before you ask, I purposely put this in the "Down to Business" catagory because I'm sure we want a good, detailed reason as to why you want one, not just "Becuase the original was AUSUMSAUCE!!!" -_-

Now, what film do I think really deserves a sequel? I have to hand it to Dreamworks when they made How to Train Your Dragon, I was expecting a kiddy movie, but instead I got a good, hilarious and cute movie :3 HTYD had some very good scenery in it, and they also based the dragons on actual animals, which was fun trying to guess what was what. The plot was very good, and I do like the personalities that the characters had; especially Toothless. While he expressed his beastly self at times, he also showed a more playful side, most notably like that of a kitten :3 The voices were okay, but I just think they could've done better on Hiccup's. Other than that, it seemed very authentic to what they were based on. Overall, the movie was perfect. It wasn't too childish, too cheesy, too teenage romance, too violent, and too adult. It was, dare I say, perfect for the whole "village".

Now, why do I want a sequel? Well, even though the movie ended with a happy ending, I still felt as if I was left hanging. I wanted to see the friendship between Hiccup and Toothless expand, and possibly some more kitty-dragon cuteness -3- I also wanted to see how the Vikings would integrate the dragons into their comunity other than just being pets. The dragon designs were also great, but I wanted to see some based more off of actual dragons, rather than just random creatures with big eyes. Plus, what bothered me throughout was that Toothless just seemed to be a lone Night Fury. Did he have a family? So many questions left unsolved, but hopefully answered someday.

Now, i would appreciate no flaming others' ideas with comments like "But that movay was, liek, so boriiiiiinnnngggg!" or "But that movie sucked.". Okay, your turn.

I strongly believe Inception deserves a sequel. How they started the beginning in a dream and replayed that dream at the end, as result of Mr. Saito getting stuck within limbo and having Cobb save him. It was slightly confusing though; how Mal really died was slightly confusing. Through half the movie I wondered; did she really jump off the building, or did dying a certain way trigger her real life death? And then how Cobb saved Mr. Saito from his dream, all before they touched down in America? That was shocking. And the kick theory; what? It befuddles me.

I believe it deserves a sequel, so we can delve deeper into the idea of inception. And explain the aforementioned things. The most prominent of reasons: Right at the end, Cobb spun his totem to test reality, and is distracted by his children. the camera closes in on the top, and it looks like it starts to wobble, but right them, the movie cuts off. Was it a dream or not? If it was a dream, will anyone save him? If it was reality, what happens next? Anyone else agree?

Anywaaaay... I still need to see How to Train Your Dragon. My girlfriend said she loved it and recommended it, so, why not?

Difficult. Very difficult.

The crazed being inside of me wants a sequel for To Kill a Mockingbird, but that's like, TOTALLY GONNA HAPPEN, so I guess I should keep dreaming. It's not the film that should get a sequel, but the crazed half of me REALLY WANTS ONE..... honestly though it would be a very twisted version... with guns and explosions and GI Joe type action.

GI Joe should never get a sequel, in my honest opinion.

Kung Fu Panda and Monsters Versus Aliens.... wow I'm much too old for them, but I had to hand it to Dreamworks, they were astonishingly good for children's movies. I used to like Pixar more, but Dreamworks really have animation covered with two movies like those.

I'd really like to see a sequel to Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I don't know how they;d go about doing it. It'd get too repetitive too quick. It'd be interesting to see, though.

A second Inception would ruin it in my opinion, Inception should be left a stand alone movie because I firmly believe to quit when you're on a high. Inception was excellent and a sequel could ruin it. I believe the same thing with the movie Avatar.

I'd absolutely go AWOL for a sequel to the excellent 2009 movie STAR TREK. I am a total Trekkie and would seriously have some sort of party in my brain... (o.o) if they were to reboot the whole franchise with this new look the series has. Better still, they could make a TV show with the cast they have. I would probably... well I won't mention that.

Personally, sequels for me ruin the effect (except with Godfather). Most of my favourite films are made so that there just can't be a sequel.... unfortunately (To Kill A Mockingbird, Capote, Spartacus, Star Trek, A Streetcar Named Desire) You know how it is.

Anyways, that;s it from me...! heheh

Bayou King said:
I'd absolutely go AWOL for a sequel to the excellent 2009 movie STAR TREK.

You're in luck. The cast have signed on for two more movies, the first of which to be released on June 29, 2012.

Sequels. Some ruin movies, others make movie franchises. First off, I'd say a sequel to A Bug's Life is in order. With Toy Story getting two sequels, Cars getting a sequel and Monsters Inc. getting a sequel, I think it's A Bug's Life's turn. There are so many different directions you could take it.

Apart from that, there isn't much else I want. We're getting The Dark Knight Rises in 2012, so that's fine.

Still, when I found out there was going to be a Spy Kids 4, I did kind of go "Woooah." I might not even see it, it's just a Spy Kids 4 was so unlikely.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Bayou King said:
I'd absolutely go AWOL for a sequel to the excellent 2009 movie STAR TREK. I am a total Trekkie and would seriously have some sort of party in my brain... (o.o) if they were to reboot the whole franchise with this new look the series has.

And you call yourself a Trekkie? As much as I really like Star Trek XI, over my dead body can it be anything more than an alternate universe. I'm already rather irritated with the constant rumours that XII will be a rehash of Wrath of Khan, but just plain rewriting the entire franchise's history with Abrams' lens flare filled sillyverse? No ta.

The Diary of A Wimpy Kid Movie, definatley.

They only made the movie on the first book. I wanted them to do it for all the books. So Thor should just make 4 more movies, a movie for each book!

Incredibles.

Not only did this movie establish a very well thought out universe in which supers DID exist, it explained away why they went away. With the political and social changes that allowed the supers to be allowed to show back up, I'd love to see what kind of repercussions it would have on the super hero community as a whole, what kind of further development we could see from our lovable family, and more importantly, another supervillain that would be as cunning and awesome as Syndrome was. Seeing how people develop while having superhuman abilities and the moral choices they have to make about what to DO with said superpowers (or not do as the case may be) has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Was a big fan of Heroes and Dark Angel and now No Ordinary Family and all the stuff like them.

Aah, why is everyone like "OMG HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON WAS A GODLY MOVIE AND SO MANY QUESTIONS WERE UNSOLVED"

It was a really good movie, but the books are ten times better, and if you would like to know more, you should read them. xD

Also, @Louie Forest--Diary of a Wimpy Kid Rodrick Rules comes out in March. :)

Well, not to offend you, but many of us just don't like to read. It was a good movie that didn't require any previous knowledge of a book to like :) THat's why many of us call it a "GODLY MOVIE". Plus, for people like me, it's hard to imagine how toothless would've actually acted in a book, that's why it was fun :)Plus, if they didn't include everything, that's another reason to make a sequel.

Anyway, I guess I'll post another so this isn't total spam.

I think they should make another Scary Movie. No, really, that's the title. Anyway, I really really hate regular horror films, mostly because they make me have really bad nightmares. However, when I watch parodies of them, it makes them funny. Scary movies 1-4 were just hilarious, even though there wasn't much done for it. I would like a 5th film made because I'm seeing way too many scary films out there that are just begging to be made fun of. THe randomness is hilarious, and it always has something going on in the background when the main characters are trying to act serious. So yes, Scary Movie 5 please.

Toastie said:
Bayou King said:
I'd absolutely go AWOL for a sequel to the excellent 2009 movie STAR TREK.

You're in luck. The cast have signed on for two more movies, the first of which to be released on June 29, 2012.

Sequels. Some ruin movies, others make movie franchises. First off, I'd say a sequel to A Bug's Life is in order. With Toy Story getting two sequels, Cars getting a sequel and Monsters Inc. getting a sequel, I think it's A Bug's Life's turn. There are so many different directions you could take it.

Apart from that, there isn't much else I want. We're getting The Dark Knight Rises in 2012, so that's fine.

Still, when I found out there was going to be a Spy Kids 4, I did kind of go "Woooah." I might not even see it, it's just a Spy Kids 4 was so unlikely.

THey're making a spy kids 4? I just found that odd, considering that the last one sucked (mainly because they milked the whole 3DDDDDDD thing. Hopefully they won't try to make it too kiddy or overexcert the 3d thing. If anything, let's hope they don't try to go 4D 0_0

Spy Kids 3-D was made when 3-D glasses were still red and blue plastic strips across your eyes. So it wasn't useful then, but they made it like that because it was mostly in a high tech game, so they wanted to create the feel of one. So it wasn't really milking a cash cow then because the cow wasn't producing much milk then. It was only after the newer versions of the glasses came out that the cow made the milk profitable and cheap. And don't worry, as long as Spy Kids 4 doesn't take place in a video game again, then they should see no need to use 3-D, or 4-D for that matter.

Moving on, if there are films that should have a sequel, but is being blocked by the discontinuity of directors, it's the Alex Rider and Percy Jackson. A series of Alex Rider movies had so much potential thanks to the books, but they decided to introduce Sabina and fill her in on the spy secret far too early, which basically formed half the plot of Eagle Strike. For Percy Jackson, although this could quickly be patched up with some changed lines, Hades was portrayed as being too evil for the movie, he was just as much of a puppet as Zeus and Poseidon were in the books after all.

These movies definitely deserve sequels in my books, and I bet most of you would agree if you enjoyed the books as much as I did

Pheonix said:
Incredibles.

Not only did this movie establish a very well thought out universe in which supers DID exist, it explained away why they went away. With the political and social changes that allowed the supers to be allowed to show back up, I'd love to see what kind of repercussions it would have on the super hero community as a whole, what kind of further development we could see from our lovable family, and more importantly, another supervillain that would be as cunning and awesome as Syndrome was. Seeing how people develop while having superhuman abilities and the moral choices they have to make about what to DO with said superpowers (or not do as the case may be) has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Was a big fan of Heroes and Dark Angel and now No Ordinary Family and all the stuff like them.

Seconded.

I loved the first movie, and in the end they actually revealed the Underminer, who I think would have deserved some more air time. Maybe not as a major antagonist, but maybe as a villain that our heroes defeat early on in the movie. I did have some other ones as well, can't just remember what they were...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Brendan Savem said:
Moving on, if there are films that should have a sequel, but is being blocked by the discontinuity of directors, it's the Alex Rider and Percy Jackson. A series of Alex Rider movies had so much potential thanks to the books, but they decided to introduce Sabina and fill her in on the spy secret far too early, which basically formed half the plot of Eagle Strike. For Percy Jackson, although this could quickly be patched up with some changed lines, Hades was portrayed as being too evil for the movie, he was just as much of a puppet as Zeus and Poseidon were in the books after all.

Alex Rider and Percy Jackson should never have had one movie, let alone have sequels.

^Agreed.

Also, the first Percy Jackson was good, maybe the second one as well, but the rest were mediocre at best.

Doubled said:
Well, not to offend you, but many of us just don't like to read. It was a good movie that didn't require any previous knowledge of a book to like :) THat's why many of us call it a "GODLY MOVIE". Plus, for people like me, it's hard to imagine how toothless would've actually acted in a book, that's why it was fun :)Plus, if they didn't include everything, that's another reason to make a sequel.

Consider me offended. >:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubled: Speak for your self. "Many of us don't like to read" my foot. Statements like that make me want to beat you with my book collection. Starting with Anna Karenina.

On to the topic, though. I don't think any film "deserves" a sequel, particularly those which have been well written. Inception speaks for itself: it is Cobb's dream - all of it. Also, it's arguably a metaphor of Chris Nolan's experiences in film making, but that's by-the-by. The only films which should be part of a series are those which have it written in the original planning stages, not those which are born from box office ratings. Hell, even though the Marvel comics set up a good base for a series of films for Spidey, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, as actual films I disliked their sequels. Iron Man 2, though fun, wasn't that great either.

A sequel should add to the experience of the original, not detract from it by re-hashing old happenings and having stale characters.

Tatile said:
Doubled: Speak for your self. "Many of us don't like to read" my foot. Statements like that make me want to beat you with my book collection. Starting with Anna Karenina.

Or War and Peace.

Took Tolstoy six years to write that one.

Weeds said:
Pheonix said:
Incredibles.
Seconded.

Third ... 'd. Or something. :>

I loooooove the Incredibles movie (I actually saw it like 3 times in the cinema), and it is just ... screaming for a sequel. The whole Incredibles computer-game was absolute garbage; they should have instead invested the time into a sequel for the, er, much better movie.

Another movie that's pretty much screaming for a sequel is Cirque De Freak: Vampire's Assistant. If you've seen it right up to the end, you'd know why. ;D

JATORC said:
To Kill a Mockingbird, but that's like, TOTALLY GONNA HAPPEN,
Whaaaaa
GI Joe should never get a sequel, in my honest opinion.
I think it completely needs to get a sequel, considering how "Rise Of Cobra" was basically purely set-up. And while ROC had it's problems, they weren't bad enough that they mean a second Joe film wouldn't be the film Joe deserves.

I'd absolutely go AWOL for a sequel to the excellent 2009 movie STAR TREK. I am a total Trekkie and would seriously have some sort of party in my brain... (o.o)
Inevitable. It was mentioned in the comics (written by the writers of the film) that Nero's ship used Borg technology. And the old TV series never had the Borg encounter the original cast, so it would be something new made from something old.

Incredibles.
Oh hell yeah.

I think they should make another Scary Movie. No, really
But... the "Epic movie" and "Date Movie" movies all carry on the same wit and humor of the original Scary Movie movies only without limitation to making fun of scary movies (or even the movies denoted by the title). They... were great back in high school. Considering how much the recent -Movie -Movies adhere to their designated genre, "Scary Movie 5" wouldn't be any different than whatever they ARE making.

I, for one, eagerly await the next Wayne's World. Failing that, I'll settle for another Bill and Ted. However since those are both long shots, then I'm eager to see Tom Cruise's character from Tropic Thunder in his upcoming spin-off movie. "The Hangover 2" would logically be funny, but that would be asking a lot.

Yo Jackie Chan, Owen Wilson, get on Shanghai Noon 3. Nobody cares about the movies you make with Wes Anderson or Bret Ratner.

Tailon

Gryffindork
But... the "Epic movie" and "Date Movie" movies all carry on the same wit and humor of the original Scary Movie movies only without limitation to making fun of scary movies (or even the movies denoted by the title). They... were great back in high school. Considering how much the recent -Movie -Movies adhere to their designated genre, "Scary Movie 5" wouldn't be any different than whatever they ARE making.

Sorry, but no. In my personal opinion, Seltzer and Friedberg have nothing on the people behind Scary Movie, and have made some of the worst films in cinematic history , and I will not stand to see them compared to actually decent and somewhat funny films. I will admit Scary Movie 5 probably wouldn't be very good , but there is no way any other film would sink to the level of Seltzerberg.

I really had to get that out. I also ummm... quintuple(?) the idea of an Incredibles sequel, as it would most likely involve things like the kids dealing with their fame from their actions in the first film as they go through school, and Jak-Jak growing up with his wacked out powers until they get under control. Also Toy Story 3 kicked ass and I know for a fact Pixar can make some seriously epic sequels.

Along with that, How To Train Your Dragon has a confirmed sequel, and should stop there. I'm pretty sure plenty of us have seen what Dreamworks did to Shrek after Shrek 2 :>

but... Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer were writers on the original Scary Movie. Take them out and you're left with The Wayans. You go for some Wayan's sans Friedberg and Seltzer and you end up with something like "White Chicks" or "Little Man". But a quick glace over wikipedia reveals that the world will soon be excitedly waiting in line for... White Chicks 2. :-\

Last edited by a moderator:

Tailon

Gryffindork
Again, no. Seltzer ad Friedberg did write part of the script, but it was three drafts, including the Wayans', which formed the final script, and as far as I know most of their work was scrapped. They also didn't work on the 3 sequels, all of which are superior to their films. Now this is turning into a debate, I'm sorry to have gotten the thread off track lie this.

zodberg said:
But... the "Epic movie" and "Date Movie" movies all carry on the same wit and humor of the original Scary Movie movies only without limitation to making fun of scary movies (or even the movies denoted by the title).

Ugh. GTFO.

And this topic should be called "Underappreciated Books That Were Turned Into Overhyped, Popular, and Crappy Movies"

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
How very polite of you. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with them. No need to be rude.

Warned.

I'm one of those guys who watches the credits to movies and all - I don't want "sequels" so much I want the same creative teams working together - in my head, I pretty much regard Snatch as Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels 2. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for X-Men 3.

BUT I would like a Shanghai Noon 3 (written by Gough/Millar) - there was a point when this was going to happen (Shanghai Dawn) but Owen Wilson just doesn't have it anymore, circa "Marmaduke".

I think it's pretty tragic that the next James Bond movie was put on hold for the foreseeable future, but xXx 3: The Return of Xander Cage is under development.
On the upside, Tropic Thunder's getting a spinoff based around the best character.

DoctorOak said:
Bayou King said:
I'd absolutely go AWOL for a sequel to the excellent 2009 movie STAR TREK. I am a total Trekkie and would seriously have some sort of party in my brain... (o.o) if they were to reboot the whole franchise with this new look the series has.

And you call yourself a Trekkie? As much as I really like Star Trek XI, over my dead body can it be anything more than an alternate universe. I'm already rather irritated with the constant rumours that XII will be a rehash of Wrath of Khan, but just plain rewriting the entire franchise's history with Abrams' lens flare filled sillyverse? No ta.

You know what I thought about that at first?

Exactly the same as you. I shunned all those who accepted Abrams's new universe.

Now, when it comes to remaking Wrath of Khan.... that's when I'mma stop appreciating it. Bottom line Abrams: YOU CAN'T KILL SPOCK AGAIN. By killing him again, it wouldn't have half the effect it did then.

If they were to remake one of the old Trek movies in this "new style".... I'd have to say it should be Voyage Home. Imagine it! Whales.... nuclear "wessels".... dude, it's be the bets remake ever.... imagine Spock and Kirk looking at an iPad and saying "such primitve technology"... "it's like caveman writing on tablets"... or something.... it'd be the bets choice in my opinion.... however, I'd really, really, REALLY like it if they stoppred maing big blockbusters, and just made it a TV Show again....

I'll be honest, Painful, the iPad touch technology isn't all that far from what we can expect of reboot-Trek-tech: it's the basis of one of our most intuitive movements. Touch tech is very much alive and well in the Star Trek universe and I think they'd be far more fascinated by seeing the ancestors of their contemparies than they were by the mouse. The problem with rebooting a movie based on time travel is that technology has since evolved in a way that has been almost unpredictable (1990's computer geeks most likely would not have forseen the iPod kick-starting Apple into the mainstream).

But hey, it's possible I'm all wrong. I'm not much of a Trekkie at all.

Disney needs to stop focusing on crap like Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers, and make more animated stuff.

Like a Lion King Prequel (to explain the stories of Mufasa and Taka[aka Scar])
Or maybe Hercules 2: Hades' Revenge ( mostly for the sake of another future Kingdom Hearts game with Olympus Coliseum)
Or they could remake the likes of early cartoons like Bambi, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, and Snow White.

A

Anonymous

Damian Kulash said:
Weeds said:
Pheonix said:
Incredibles.
Seconded.

Third ... 'd. Or something. :>
Fouth'd.
I also think there should be a sequel ,mostly because of the whole "Underminer" dude should showed in the theater.Also when they make a fucking video game about it!

I also agree with the "How to Train Your Dragon" thing ,mostly because I wanna see what happens with Hiccup and that other viking girl(I forgot her name) or about the questions left unanswered.

Mostly I think that "Cars" should get a sequal in theaters ,here why:
They make a movie ,a video game that's supposed to be the sequel ,a sequel to the game(Mater-national) ,a sequel to the sequel (Race o Rama),a spin-off series(Mater's Tall Tales") and a video game based off the spin-off BUT NO FUCKING 2ND MOVIE!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.