• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Fears and phobias

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yar. It's a good thing my sister wasn't sitting here just now. A fairly large spider suddenly dropped down from the ceiling, dangled in the air for a few moments, then landed on my monitor and started crawling around it. For me, the only start I got was the initial shock - but I get that from anything that sneaks up on me. After that I watched it for a bit, then caught it in a cup and released it outside (I generally don't kill bugs, unless its an accident or a mosquito >.>).
My sister on the other hand would've freaked. She's arachnophobic. Freezes up or screams/freaks out even if she sees a freakin' pen-tip sized spider. A close friend of mine is also the same way, and I'm sure some of you - or people you know - are too. Phobias are teh fun.

I guess I do have my own phobia, though. I don't like "bees". My definition of bees includes wasps and hornets, tho. I'm alright watching them through a window (though seeing a hive on TV makes my skin crawl), but when I'm outside and a bee flies by I can't help but react. The reaction can be anywhere from quietly moving away, jerking/running away, to getting slightly-to-full-blown panic attacks. Bees in cars with me is by far the worst. I've freaked out so badly I started crying. It's just something I can't help - like the reaction is conditioned.

I have other fears, of course, but my overactive imagination is the blame of most of them. For someone who believes that monsters could be real, a strange noise in the night when everything is pitch black doesn't do my mind a favor. The same goes for when I'm outside at night. Noises in the dark spook me. They get my imagination going big time. Even distant coyote howling makes my heart race... understandable, though, since my childhood nightmares were usually filled with wolves. Which is amusing since I LOVE all things canine :p

But enough of my rambling. Who else has silly phobias and fears to share?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sem is speaking in third person :p And he's a buggie killer. I love teh creepy crawlies, even earwigs :(

I should've been more clear about one thing. While I dislike bees in the way of a phobia, I don't hate them. I actually find bumblebees incredibly cute, and hornets/wasps are quite cool creatures. Still... I've been known to be cruel when a freakin' big hornet is stuck in the same room as me. I once sprayed Raid on one and watched it die, then felt horrible. It wasn't its fault it got stuck :*(

Katie is a sad, sad person...

Ohoho...I DEFINITELY have a phobia...not sure if there's a word for it though...

I'm really afraid of caterpillars. Seriously...especially those hairy ones! Why? Well, it went back to elementary school...see, in second grade (before I was afraid of them), we had a couple big oak trees in our playground, all over the various playing structures. Now, that year was the lead up to the caterpillar infestation year (AKA third grade, which I will get to in a moment), so there were quite a few of the little buggers on our slides and stuff. But we thought they were cute, and at day care, we got paper cups to go out and snag one or two as a sort of "pet."

So, being that sort of little girl to like cute furry things, I went out, paper cup in my hand...and instead of getting one in my cup, I got a rather big one in my hair.

Yeah, it flailed about in the hair (RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE), and I screamed, shook it off, ran down the slide, and dashed into the portables where the after school care was being held...don't remember too much after that.

Then oh lovely third grade happened. The year of the caterpillar infestation...they were EVERYWHERE. They, like, went on a mini-Exodus or something out of the oak trees and onto every square centimeter of pavement they could find...nowhere was safe! My friend and I resorted to hop-scotch, since it was far-ish away from the trees and meant that we would be spending quite a bit of time in the air. Ugh...but that year...it was like...for every square meter of pavement, there would be at least three or five caterpillars. It was worse on the playgrounds...

But then the next year was better, and my middle school had no oak trees! Those three years of my life...ABSOLUTELY NO CATERPILLARS!

Then I got to high school, and was back in square one...since our track was ringed with oak trees (and caterpillars), and we had to be out there TWO periods of the day, for both PE and band (since we were practicing marching). Ugh.

And what's better? I get to go out there again this year...during Caterpillar Season...for stupid marching...T_T

So yeah, I scream, get all whiny, freaked out...the whole shebang. Though I don't think I've ever cried...hmm...

But spiders are okay (as long as they aren't ON me). I have a spider neighbor at my locker. I named him Fred. Fred is cool. Yay for Fred. X3

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I'm ok with most things, as long as they don't touch me. ^^ However, I have a really bad phobia of moths. That started about a month ago, when in the middle of the night (I read for waaay too long) this huge great big moth, which was at least as big as my hand, comes flying out of my light! Now unfortunately my bed's right next to the ceiling, but I was at the opposite end to the light, so I screamed and flapped a towel at it to make it go away. I spent the next few hours whimpering, waking everyone up. I don't think I got any sleep that night.

It got worse. The next day, when I finally gained the courage to get off my bed, I climbed down the ladder to find the damn thing on my CLOTHES. So I freaked and ran downstairs in my pyjamas. ^^" I refused to go anywhere near my room for a night or so, when my mum checked all over it for the blasted moth. Everywhere but behind the door (which I'm now refusing to close. Yes, even now XD).

Now everyone makes fun of me for it. I can't help it if I don't like moths. Being attacked by a big one really doesn't help. Now my sister, she's the one scared stupid by spiders. When we were in Cornwall they were everywhere, so she spent the nights shivering in fear. Both her and my dad are also scared of heights - makes for excellent fun at the Grand Canyon, which we went to a few years ago ^^

I have probably one of the best phobias ever! Claustrophobia :'(. I cant go in anything smaller than an elevator if its inclosed. I aslo cant do caves of any sort. I was fine until 4th grade when we went on a school trip to some mines in north GA. I started crying and blabering all sorts of nonsense. I also hate stinging insects.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Persian: I'm glad I never had an experience like that when I was young because I adore caterpillars! Especially the furriest ones. In the summer we used to have big ol' fuzzy orange caterpillars everywhere around here, but now they're so scarce you barely ever catch sight of one. I blame the farmers and their pesticide usage >.>

Cinders: It's too bad that huge moth ended up in your place and not mine, because it sounds totally awesome O.O I've been trying to find those giant moths ever since my mom started raving about the couple she saw. The best I've found was one with about a two inch wing-span - possibly two and a half. It was really cute ^^

Yeah... I don't like ants, spiders, or anything else startling me by climbing up my leg, arm, or landing on my head, but its never made me permanently hate them. I really do love most all things buggy. Just don't put a bee in the same room as me without a protective covering and we're cool :p

Both her and my dad are also scared of heights - makes for excellent fun at the Grand Canyon, which we went to a few years ago ^^

You tried to push her over the edge, didn't you? XD

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Only the once. :p I'm usually fine when there's some barrier in the way of it and me, so I can catch a moth in a glass (or preferably get someone else to) then look at it really close and not mind. But that huge one just freaked me out. ^^" It had at least a 4 inch wing span - no joke. And it was very dark, maybe dark brown or just black. The two glimpses I got at it left a lasting impression. :p

EDIT: Almost forgot! When I went to Niagara Falls a few years ago, we went to this butterfly place. They had huge butterflies, and one landed on my head and freaked me out... A big blue one, at least as big as my face! I never want to go there again.

my friend is terribly terribly claustrophobic sometimes she screams in the elavator. its really annoying . but we say shes afraid of santa clause then she gets really mad and we laugh the end 8)

Link-san: You LIKE those creepy things? *shudder* You should move out here to California...we get them every year...sigh...*dreads May* Why? Why does marching band practice HAVE to be at the HEIGHT of caterpillar season? Why? Whyyyyyyy? T_T

Cinders-san: I like moths. X3 I remember once, during elementary school, we went bug-catching. I caught one of the rare and hard-to-catch moths. I was the only one. I don't remember what kind it was, but it was cool.

Of course, later, I went to this butterfly exhibit, where you were INSIDE with them, and totally freaked out.

So I'm one of those "I like them as long as they are behind a barrier" sort of thing...

So never mind that "I like moths" thing. -_-;;

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Bah, I'm one of those "I'm ok as long as they're dead and away from me." types.

I cant do any kind of stinging insect. You put a bee or wasp in the same room as me and IT WILL DIE!!!!! I'll probably grap anything i can to kill it. Or run sreaming from the room. I'm ok with most every other insect though. I also like reptiles like a lizard that has taken to sitting outside on my window every morning. I named him Stevey

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
New story to tell.

I was helping my mother on Sunday tidy up the downstairs of our old house. Probably about twenty minutes into it I saw something big and black appear around the light, and I yelped at the sheer size of it. At the time I thought it was nothing more than a large beetle, which I can handle.

It was only when it landed and we had a good look at it that my mom exclaimed "It's just a bumblebee". But then after a few minutes that simple Bumblebee became two, then three, then four... When I was there the number only got up to around 6 or 7, buy according to my brother who was there yesterday there was around 20 or more. Of all the things to happen when you're fixing up a house... We had to get a bumblebees nest in it! :p

Probably the biggest issue of all, though, is that we still have no clue where the nest is...

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I would move out, go to a friends house and cry. Sem will stay there until the bad bees are gone. Gosh that just sounds so frightening... Bees are so evil... God was emo when he made bugs.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
We had a wasps' nest in our attic over the summer. None got any lower than that, thankfully, but they bugged my mum becaue their entrance to the nest was just outside an upstairs window. We got some exterminators in, and then we discovered the sheer size of the nest - after they'd been sprayed, there were at least 100 swarming outside the window! We had to close ourselves off for a few days, just in case any of them went evil and stung us. A week or so later, we had to go on holiday, which meant digging through the attic to find the suitcases, but by then the nest was completely gone. 'Twas an experience and a half though. :p

And wasps are evil and don't have a place in the world - all they do is go around and sting people. :p Bees are much more useful, since they die straight after they've stung something, and they pollinate the flowers (while wasps just attack picnickers).

I don't have a huge problem with wasps... although the other week in school one kept flying around me while i was talking so it ended up with me going head to head with it, and i didn't even get stung, it was aparently very funny to watch but unfortunately noone recorded it for me to see.
I dont see why everyone is scared of tiny things like wasps, yes they can sting you but thats pretty much all they can do, and they'll only do that if you really piss them off... Best thing to do when a wasp is around, ignore it, or kill it with a newspaper or something... works like a charm :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I watched a talk-show once about people with phobias. One woman had a phobia to kittens... yes, KITTENS. It was completely ridiculous, but that's exactly what a phobia is. An "irrational fear". I mean, seriously, is being afraid of a tiny insect that can't do a thing to you any more funny than people who feel like walls are closing in on them in small areas? Walls don't move! But that's besides the point when it's all psychological :p

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, but some people are scared of buttons. I read a phobia website and some of them were extremely funny... Actually, a button phobia is unusually common. Some get it so bad that they can't even look at one without freaking out. I shall find the address and post it here...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The buttons are coming to eat your BRAINS! FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES!!

*coughs*

Any phobia seems funny to someone else who doesn't have it, but I'm understanding because I can relate. Although, still doesn't mean I don't laugh ^^;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Don't say YOU LOSE?

Yes, knowing someone with a fear of the GAME would be amusing. Amusing and evil inspiring ^^

Haha~ Just for the heck of it, and because I am unable to use my malfunctioning Photoshop, I found the official names of my top 3 phobias. I am a VERY easily scared person, for the record.

1. Ligyrophobia - The fear of loud noises. Fireworks, concerts, guns, etc. I'll stop whatever I'm doing to cover my ears, and if I'm caught unprepared (this only happened once, with a fireworks that made a screeching sound on the way up) I actually froze up and pitched over. I had a bruise on my elbow for a week from where it got scraped when it knocked the ground since I was using my hands to cover my ears.

:p

2. Aichmophobia - The fear of needles of pointed objects. For me, this includes knives, splinters, bee stings, sewing needles, and ESPECIALLY shots . I still panic when it comes time for my necessary shots, asking the nurse how bad it'll hurt and then accusing "You tell that to everyone" when they inform me that it'll be fine. I got dizzy and sick to my stomach to the point that I had to lay down when I had a blood sample taken (the finger prick). And I hyperventilated when I had to give two 2'' vials full of blood to check my allergies. *shivers*

:'(

3. Entomophobia - The fear of insects. This doesn't mean that I hurt the poor creatures, but if I study them closely or they bite me...I lose it. Grasshoppers, which I used to love, are terrifying to me now that I see their body-segments and have been bitten viciously by one as big as my index finger. I classify spiders under this category, and they are on the list ever since I went canoing and swept under a tree - I came out with a boat FILLED with frickin' wolf spiders. My mom and me are now on the list of spider-freaks, who dive out the nearest window at the sight of a spider. Doesn't help that our home has been invaded by these mini-tarantula looking thick, black spiders. They are aggressive too, as I saw when one lunged at a stick when Devin (older brother) poked at it tentatively. This particular spider was on my ceiling....above my computer... *shiver again* Spindly legs and beady eyes and thick bodies.....bleh.

-Aggrieved Firefox-

Curse my Photoshop and its 'program errors'...now I don't get to enter zee MD contest.

I was afraid of losing once! I do have a phobia of going downstairs at night, when all the lights are turned on. You see, it happened in uuuhh... fourth grade, let's go with that! Ok, so, I woke up at like 1 in the morning, and was hungry, I go to get a snack, and I find my dog, but, she starts barking her head off and almost tried to bite me, and then, I see a star that's moving(I think) and I scream soooo loud I wake the whole house up! I'm also afraid of my girlfriend when she's mad, I got her mad like two weeks ago, I STILL have a bruise on my leg..... :( She kicks hard.

I just relized that the "Rabbids" from "Rayman Ravin' Rabbids" scare me more than anything else.

They're so cute though ^_^ 0.0 anyway... I have a fear of choking. Yes I know it's stupid but yah >> I can't swallow pills because of this fear and, I either crush it up and take it with water or, I cut it in half.

My little brother Stuart is scared of spiders(SO DO I, SO I KILL 'EM!)and is scared of the dark.And he's 7 years old.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ;D

I guess everyone has at least a slight case of at least one phobia...

I found this site a while ago that has almost EVERY SINGLE PHOBIA on it...

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT

A lot of 'em are real funny...like "Ambulophobia"-fear of walking! How would you get around everywhere? I suppose a wheelchair. "Arachibutyrophobia" is a rediculously funny one too-"Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth." :D A lot of the other ones I can understand, and other ones, I don't understand as much...

Go check 'em out!!

~wad11656/americanoob~

Y'alls phobias are perfectly normal compared to mine. I have a fear of JELLYFISH. And I have no idea how it started(i've never been stung!!!) but they weird me out. We have no earthly idea how they breed or where they come from, they have no eyes and they just drift around stinging stuff. I don't even like to see them on TV or in pictures. And I have to close my eyes during that scene in Finding Nemo.

The only jellyfish I'm not afraid of are Tentacool, Tentacruel, and the jellies on Spongebob.

Oh, come on! That's not bad at all...TONS of people are scared of jellyfish! ;) Nobody wants to know how a jellyfish sting feels (, I hope???,) and almost everyone thinks they're weird-lookin' too, so I think you're in good company... 8)

I'm afraid of the dark (Monsters!), sharp objects (I get totally freaked out.), fireworks (I run inside.), and bees, wasps, etc. And I'm especially skittish around matches! It's terrible for me when I have to hold a burning candle. :(

I have a phobia also and its also of spiders i'm so so scared of them i'm almost wet myself like and also bees and hornets too oh and i'm scared of needles :p

For someone who believes that monsters could be real, a strange noise in the night when everything is pitch black doesn't do my mind a favor. The same goes for when I'm outside at night. Noises in the dark spook me. They get my imagination going big time. Even distant coyote howling makes my heart race... understandable, though, since my childhood nightmares were usually filled with wolves. Which is amusing since I LOVE all things canine

Me too :( I hate that so much it's not funny. Ever since last Saturday, I have never liked something knocking on something at 3:30 in the morning! :p Although, I am also afraid of Spiders and bees. *Shudders at thought* It was terrible when on How it's Made, they showed how they make beeswax! ahhhhhhhhh!

O
V ()
O

3. Entomophobia - The fear of insects. This doesn't mean that I hurt the poor creatures, but if I study them closely or they bite me...I lose it. Grasshoppers, which I used to love, are terrifying to me now that I see their body-segments and have been bitten viciously by one as big as my index finger. I classify spiders under this category, and they are on the list ever since I went canoing and swept under a tree - I came out with a boat FILLED with frickin' wolf spiders. My mom and me are now on the list of spider-freaks, who dive out the nearest window at the sight of a spider. Doesn't help that our home has been invaded by these mini-tarantula looking thick, black spiders. They are aggressive too, as I saw when one lunged at a stick when Devin (older brother) poked at it tentatively. This particular spider was on my ceiling....above my computer... *shiver again* Spindly legs and beady eyes and thick bodies.....bleh.
Please stop. :-X I can't stand things like that (the bugs).
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!