• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favourite pokemon generation

Gen 2 for me as well. But it's not just the region (my favorite so far) but the game mechanics. Sure, a lot of improvements have been made in the following generations, but if I want to play Pokemon and not have to think too hard I pick up my old Silver cartridge. No Abilities and no Natures but it still has the Special split, item holding, Dark and Steel types, and day/night cycles.

Sometimes I wish it were still that way. I've honestly never been fond of the Natures mechanic. But it does add an interesting element to the metagame...

2nd as well. As much as I love the first installments, G/S/C improved and expanded on so much. It also has the bonus of allowing you to explore not only one, but two regions.

That's a tough question. But if I had to pick a favorite out of all of them (as of right now, anyway), I think I'd probably have to go with Generation IV.

Pokemon Pearl was the game that kept me glued to the Pokemon franchise at that age when I was starting to think I was "too old for it". I'd grown up with Pokemon and it'd been a huge part of my childhood ever since I got my hands on Pokemon Silver on Christmas Day all the way back in 2001. But because I was constantly teased for still liking Pokemon at the time, and due to the fact Gen III (in my opinion) was the weakest series of games, I felt my interest in Pokemon slipping further and further away. But my love of Pokemon was ultimately saved, and even further bolstered, when my Grandparents gifted me a Nintendo DS and a copy of Pokemon Pearl in the year of 2007 for Christmas (thank you, Christmas Time!).

It was, for me, the best game I'd ever played at the time. Some of the experiences I had even out-shined some of my fondest memories from my first time playing Silver. The Pokemon were amazingly designed, the music was fantastic (as usual, really), and the game itself was just so fun to play. I loved almost every single moment of it. And even today, I can pick up Pearl or Platinum and have a good old time just playing through.

It's not without it's faults. Looking at it critically, I'll admit the game can move painfully slow at times; the running and surfing in this game must have been the slowest out of any game to date, and there are certain segments of the game can take an eternity to get through. That, and Team Galactic is one of the least engaging villain teams for me (still above Magma and Aqua, though). But I can only thank Gen IV for all of the good it did me in those days. If it weren't for Pearl, I wouldn't still be playing Pokemon today, and I definitely wouldn't be here typing this out. So yeah...thanks, Gen IV!

TL;DR: Gen IV is my favorite for many reasons...for now. Gen VII is looking pretty good right now, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see if it can claim the top spot.

(Sorry for rambling...I'll stop now)

Last edited:
Oh Arceus. This is one of the most difficult decisions I've ever has to to make in my life. Aaaaaand, it's a tie. A three way tie.

The third generation was where I started. It was awesome. I grew up being told to go outside more, and to stop playing video games so much. People told me that I couldn't play video games, and they were kind of right. I wasn't talented at some different kinds of games. RPG is my favourite style by far. I prefer using my brain, not shooting things or jumping on platforms and such. Strategy games are fun. I also like getting to know characters. It may be weird, but I form a bond with certain characters in games, and Emerald started that. I always went to school, and saw the kids with their Pokemon cards, and I was interested, and once I got to get Pokemon Emerald, I was so happy. I formed memories with my team, like beating the champion (i prefer Steven to Wallace. Thank Arceus for ORAS to develop him even more. ), catching new members, killing a shiny Tentacool, and even capturing the legendary Rayquaza. I loved my team, and to this day, I have my GBA in my room, with Pokemon Emerald.

Next is the fifth generation. As I said, I enjoy character development in a game, book, show, and things like that. Black, White and its sequels were more enjoyable because of that. I mean, you get to know Cheren and Bianca, your rivals. You get to know N, and the gym leaders, and more. Black is also the game I made one of my favorited teams with. (I also got a shiny Roggenrola there. I also think there's a shiny Kyurem somewhere in the PC)

NOW ONTO THE FINAL ONE. Generation six. I know, I know. Put the pitchforks down. I love every generation, but this one is by far one of the best. Although they didn't develop the characters as much, they had a huge cast of them. They didn't have the time in X and Y. But what did everything I wanted? ORAS. Remakes of my childhood. In 3D. With more trumpets and water. Wally is literally the most adorable thing to exist. May and Brendan is an adorable ship, mostly because of Brendan because I played as May. And character development. Steven is my favourite champion, besides Cynthia because of ORAS. The freaking music. Zinnia's battle theme, Wally's final battle theme, Steven's battle theme, the E4's battle theme, and MAAAANY more. They even put in the Delta episode, which allows you to catch Deoxys. And the Pokemon that is literally the box art legendary of Emerald, Rayquaza. It's mega flies you to space. It was freaking time for that. Game Freak, you have fufilled my dreams with ORAS. Screw the 7.8/10. I'd give it a 10/7.8. Unlike nostalgic Pokemon fans that hate change (GENWUNNERSSSS), I love change in Pokemon. ORAS made sure of it.

THAT WAS TOO MUCH WORDS OH GOD. I'm sorry if you read all of that (•~•")

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Surprisingly enough, Gen VI retains it's spot as my favorite Generation. It introduced a number of new mechanics that I enjoyed like Super Training, affection, and Mega Evolution. Kalos was also a really cool region with great music. Unfortunately XY had a really weak and incomplete story that should have been supplemented with either a Pokemon Z or with X2Y2. That said, ORAS was what really made Gen VI my number one favorite as they were remakes of my favorite games RSE. The additions like the Delta Episode and the expanded character development managed to win out over their predecessors. Their one weakness though was using the Kalos Battle Maison over the Hoenn Battle Frontier. I would have much rather seen the Battle Frontier brought into full 3D.

Gen VII was so very close to becoming my favorite Generation. The story is beyond amazing and I like too many of the new Pokemon that I had to think long and hard about who my final team would be. But game play, I think, took as far a step back as the story took forward. I won't go into further detail because that isn't what this topic is about.

My favourite generation would have to be the fifth generation. I really like the storyline in pokemon black, and I love the Marine Tube in Pokémon black two. I also really like all the generation five pokemon, because almost all of them are cute or cool, or very strong. I am not too fond of the musicals, though, as I find them kinda boring. I participate in them anyway, though.

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
The second and fifth generation games are my top favourites. With the introduction to steel-types and the awesomeness that is Reshiram with the epic storyline attached to it, they're pretty much impossible to beat. I really look forward to playing PKMN Moon... Maybe it can make it into my top five.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
As someone who's only started playing Pokemon when Gen III came out, my choices a little more limited than I'd like them to be (I also never managed to finish Yellow, even though I have the game now...)

Gameplay-wise, I really enjoyed Gen VI. Radar, Dexnav, and Hoard Encounters were ridiculously fun to use (Radar a little less so, but still beats the SOS mechanic in Gen VII anyday). The introduction of Destiny Knot to pass down 5 of the parents' IVs also made breeding a heckton easier, and Lumiose City is just the best place to hatch eggs. The PSS was also better than Festival Plaza; at least all the buttons are actually labeled. With words.

Story-wise, it's currently a tie between Gen V and Gen VII. I won't go into too much detail because spoilers and stuff, but I feel like Gamefreak did a great job telling a story that felt both compelling and even relatable at some points. I do admit that I enjoyed the BW storyline more than BW2, but both have their merits. By itself, I feel like Emerald did very well telling a story, even if it's not a particularly deep story, it was still a fun one. However, Ruby/Sapphire's plot was mediocre at best (and at times made no sense due to the nature of being two separate games and stuff), and FR/LG had basically no plot because... well, they were remakes of the first games.

Pokemon design-wise, Gen III hands down is my favorite. It might be because I got back into Pokemon during this generation, but a very large portion of my favorites are in Gen III. Gen V and VII are close seconds, though.

Overall, I guess my favorite generations would be some kind of a three-way tie between III, V, and VII. That isn't to say I dislike the other generations, these three just stand out the most to me~

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
There's a question for the ages, really.

See, every region has its nice bits and meh bits, its awesome frelling creatures and the creatures I could do without. I'm not a competitive battler or particularly crazy about side-features like contests or musicals... so basically, it falls to the main game/postgame, the story, the atmosphere and the casts of characters to make or break a generation for me in terms of the games themselves.

And in that respect, Generation V is a clear and present winner, with Gen VII coming up only slightly behind it - and for similar reasons. The characters felt more like people and less like things to put a check-mark on as you Travel The Region, Fite Gem/Trial, Get Bage/Z-Crystal, there was an actual attempt at an actual story, other characters actually got involved, and the game actually gave you a reason to care about these people. Or at least, about a few of them.

No surprise, then, that Gen V games are the games I've played the most in the series, followed closely by Gen III (Emerald in particular, as it was the best game in that gen and I'm still miffed about OR/AS not taking cues from it rather than breaking R/S even more than they were originally broken). As for Gen VII - it only just started, really, and whether or not it lasts in its position as a second-favorite depends on where it goes from now on. At the very least, it introduced a few instant favorites. ^^

Everything my favorite biomechanical armbladed admin said above me about gen 5. Easy my favorite, and also the games that got me into my favorite game series of all time.

Hoo boy. Well, as far as character writing and narrative goes, I gotta go with SW here. I have a very deep love for Unova and its characters, as well as their designs and the pokémon therein (also take a wild fucking guess who my favorite protag is), but as far as gameplay goes… there's a few glaring flaws, perhaps a bit moreso than other generations.

As far as strictly gameplay goes, I might have to go with Gen 4 in all honesty. Diamond and Pearl was so slow-paced and unpolished it was painful, but Platinum and HGSS allowed the critical improvements the gen brought in to really shine. Move categorization was finally refurbished and tons of great new abilities, items, and mechanics were introduced before it was all bogged down by the subsequent generations' wonky and inconsistent experience distribution system, overabundance of power-leveling methods, and introduction of more abilities/items/mechanics that ended up just being plain broken. Plus this generation was the one where we found ourselves on our way to expanding upon the narrative of the games and characters we meet in the world, and while that would end up peaking in the next generation, 2008-2010 was, in my opinion, Pokémon at its finest.

And yet, in terms of the generation I've played the most and found myself constantly going back to… it has to be Gen 3, especially Hoenn. Platinum, HGSS, and also PMD Explorers saw the highlight of Pokémon as a turn-based battling RPG, but Hoenn simply had the greatest, most in-depth world to explore, and there was just so much to do, from contests to the Trick House to secret bases to an entire underwater layer of the world to explore and all the secrets that managed to hold! (inb4 2muchwater) I also loved traversing Kanto in FRLG without having to deal with all the archaic mechanics and limitations of the original GB games which made Red and Blue frankly unplayable for me. Love Kanto, just can't get myself to power through those relics.

Favorite game? Emerald, without a doubt. Then Platinum, then BW2. I'm really feeling Sun and Moon and, while the initial core games are never winners, I feel like whatever we see next out Gen 7 might be able to make its way into my all-times favorites list as well.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Plat fixed so much of what was broken about D/P, it's not even funny anymore. Unfortunately, it still did nothing to remedy Sinnoh's greatest problem, and that was the giant middle finger in the middle of the region that is called Mount Coronet. And that thrice-blasted snow route. Plus, I kinda feel that Gardenia's gym in Plat was less evocative of her than her gym in D/P - it felt more like the sort of shit Erika would do. But that's just me and my issues.

Like I said, what I appreciated the most about Platinum and HGSS was the battle mechanics and the genuine challenge the campaign managed to give me. The world had issues even after speeding up the sluggish pacing DP was bogged down with. Plus, Super Contests were still balls.

The underground, tho. I forgot to mention that. Was far from solid, but it was still fun.

Gen 4.
It's my first gen, and the inrotduction of a split between special and physical was a game changer. Also walking with your pokemon. We need that more.

Gen 5.
Pokemon Black was my third Pokemon game. I really liked the graphics, the models, the map... Team Plasma is even my favorite Evil Team. And, although some of the Pokemon of the region doesn't convince me at all, they include some of the Pokemon that I really like or that I still use, such as Haxorus, Eelektross or Serperior.

It's a tie between gens 4 and 6. Pearl was the first pokemon game I ever played so, this is probably nostalgia getting the better of me, but I loved everything about that game. The starters were great, the pokemon were pretty awesome, the music was amazing, and the gyms and champion were actually challenging. Gen 6 had really nice locations, and well designed pokemon.

Gen 5
Pokémon White was my first ever Pokemon Game, even now I prefer its sprites and overall look over any other generation. The overall design of the areas of the game were extremely well done. I sincerely enjoyed every single Pokemon (Yes, even Trubbish) and I like how it's not too overcrowded with a game designer trying to fit 700+ Pokemon into a single game

Every single character was great, Cheren and Bianca were amazing as rivals, they actually showed characters and had rewarding endings for the hard work they do, unlike certain others who get no reward for climbing up to the top, and there is just a sense of satisfaction when you find out Bianca is able to travel the world (well, Unova) with Professor Juniper, when her father finally allows her to go on her journey, and in Black/White two, when you find out that Cheren is happy as a Gym Leader, that his journey has got him somewhere and his wish to be big and powerful has been fulfilled

N's entire story is great, he can be sympathised with and it is easily one of my favourite villains, if he can be called one, he just seems so selfless and kind. Everything he does is just to free Pokémon
In fact, the entirety of Team Plasma is just awesome, it's not just Let's take over A to ressurect B to achieve C, they have a real reason and a real motivation. And who's not to say they aren't wrong? Their goal is right, and really they are just fighting for equality, but they are manipulated by Ghetsis.
Ghetsis
He is awesome, a cruelty never before seen, manipulating a confused child with a big heart, who sees him as his father, misleading a group of people who want nothind but good for the world, to serve his own evil agenda. Giovanni just wanted more power, Archie, Maxie and Cyrus thought they were helping, but Ghetsis, he was cold, cruel and ambitious.

The Gym Leaders are all great,
With interesting gimmicks, I remember when I first walked into the Straiton gym, with the Type Curtains, or when I went to fight Elysia (or whatever) and found a rollercoaster. They even played a part in protecting the country as Clay or Burgh or Lenora teamed up to chase down Team Plasma, or when they all teamed up to do battle with the Seven Sages, doing their job and helping to protect the region.

While admittedly Alder didn't really do much, he did have different views to other Trainers, especially Cheren, speaking as if he is friends with Pokemon, basically the views of Team Plasma, but on a more legal side of things.

I could go on for hours, Double Grass, the Soundtrack, so many more characters, I could spend paragraphs on each Pokemon. But in order to not clog up this thread anymore and sound like the Gen Five equivalent of a Genwunner, I won't

One problem though
THERE WAS NO MAGIKARP. BASCULAIN SUCKS, THE FORM THING IS STUPID AND IT DOESN'T EVEN EVOLVE!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Seeing how we already HAVE a thread for this in a RELEVANT board (i.e. NOT Creative Discussion!), I've merged the new thread into this one. In the future, read the goat-damned board descriptions before making new threads.

Also, remember - this is a forum. Not a chatroom. Explain your answers. Make them worthy of discussions. Why is your answer what it is? Elaborate, please.

Last edited: