• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favourite music?

Title pretty much explains it all. What types of music do you enjoy? What are your favourite genres, and why do you like them?

My two favourite music genres are Rock and Metal.
As far as rock goes, I pretty much only listen to stuff from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. There are a few bands from the 90's+ that I do like though, like Nirvana for example. My favourite subgenre is Prog rock. I just love the sound of it.
As for metal, I listen to almost anything, as long as it isn't overly/blatantly hyper religious or satanic. Funnily enough, less than a year ago I hated heavy metal. It wasnt until I gave it ago that I released how wrong I was about it, and it totally made me rethink what music I like. It even helped get me out of my cringy EDM 'phase' that I had been in for a couple of years. My favourite subgenres of metal are Folk, Doom/Stoner, Thrash, old-school/traditional Metal, and Black metal.

Electro Swing is another genre I really enjoy listening to. It is basically EDM mixed with swing and jazz music from the 20s-40s.
I like listening to it mostly because I find it really uplifting and catchy.

Oh, and I adore Synthwave as well. As soon as I heard a song by Synthwave artist Lazerhawk, I was hooked. I'm a sucker for 80s sounding synths.

Last edited:
I'm quite into Metal in general, but my favourite subgenre is Progressive Metal. Its best to think of it as being fairly experimental, but it also has a strong focus on that strangeness coming from technical mastery of more traditional instruments (hence why its also sometimes referred to as Technical Metal), rather than from using strange or unusual sounds in the music itself (like Avant-Garde Metal). A lot of the experimentation then comes from the blending of different genres with metal, like jazz or classical music (which often gives the music a sense of grandiose that I am totally in love with).

I personally tend to lean a bit more towards the heavier styles as part of the appeal of the genre as a whole is that I love the sharp contrast of soft and heavy music, so I'm not as into bands like Dream Theatre (even though I can acknowledge the pure skill they have). The other reason I like it so much is just due to how complex the music tends to be. There's always something interesting going on to listen to, usually multiple layers of complexity, so its often hard to get bored listening to it. The downside of this is that it makes it really hard to enjoy more mainstream music because its often so simplistic, although I can still get behind things that have something weird or quirky to them.

Some of my favourite bands within the subgenre are Tesseract, Cynic, Devin Townsend, Opeth, Monuments, Tool, and Karnivool.

I'm mostly into Metal and Alternative. I just really like the lyrics in most songs of those genres. Bands like System of a down, Linkin Park, Disturbed, and Five Finger Death Punch are my favorites

I am a HUGE fan of metal, specifically heavy and thrash metal, country, hard rock, rock n' roll, southern rock, and alternative rock.

Some of my favorite metal groups are Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Testament.
Some of my favorite country groups/artists are Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, Zac Brown Band, and Waylon Jennings.
Some of my favorite rock groups are AC/DC, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, U2, Kansas, and many more.

If the subject of Twenty One Pilots manages to occur, you've lost me. I'm a freak for them. I cry over their songs, but mainly because of my previous experience at one of their concerts (every time a song they played live comes up, tears have formed). I know almost every word on Blurryface, and I've heard all of their songs, too. Even before Josh joined the band.

I'm into Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy, Green Day, and Twenty One Pilots. I basically like Rock music. I also sometimes like to listen to the Undertale Soundtrack. And right now a song that I can't stop listening to is Ed Sheerans Shape of You.

In no particular order:

Rawtrap

Riddim

Deep House

Future House

Bassline House

UK Garage

UK Grime

Drill

Dubstep

Brostep

Electro House