• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favourite Mario Kart?

Which is your favourite Mario Kart game?

• Super Mario Kart (Original)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Mario Kart 64

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario Kart Double Dash

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Mario Kart DS

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I doubt this topic will get much attention considering I know the lot of yea, but meh.

I was playing Mario Kart Double Dash yesterday and realized just how much better the DS version is than it. For me, Mario Kart DS is definitely my favourite Mario Kart game. The new courses are all pretty good (unlike DD's), the Retro cups are a great addition (especially the updated SNES tracks), and the new options like Mission Mode, WFC, etc. help extend the gameplay (Mission Mode in particular reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing). I know Super Circuit had a "retro" mode of sorts aswell, but overall that game hasn't left much of an impact on me. It was fun to play from time to time but not really much more.

Mario Kart 64 was a great game and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, yet looking back I have to wonder if it's because the game was really that good or because it was a HUGE leap from the original MK game and could have up to 4-players. The original MK may be a classic, but if you try playing it now it really hasn't lasted the test of time. All the additions in the newer MK's are just better (minus a few in DD).

So, that's where I stand on it. Mario Kart DS pwnz, even if its online capabilities leave a lot to be desired. It's great just having 'em, but, really... no online Battle Mode? :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As racers they're all rather lame ducks with the approximate speed of a depressed slug.

For creating an entire genre, however, my props go to the original NES game.

Which, by the way, didn't have any cheap-assed Blue fucking Shells anywhere in sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.