• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favorite Water Type Pokemon!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
We... don't really need a poll for this, least of all an incomplete one. However, the topic has discussion value so I'll leave this open for now.

I think I pick Carracosta. I don't know why, I usually don't use fossils in any of my teams, but I do like it. It sorta looks like Blastoise's cool cousin :>

So, I guess I'd pick Carracosta :D Just because he looks cool.

But really, I usually have at least one water type in my team, no matter what, and it just feels weird without one :/

Hmm this is a tough one for me, it'd either be Gyaradose or Milotic. Gyaradose just for being an awesome badass beast of fury, and Milotic because I think its beautiful, and because I've yet to get one. Swampert also would fit in there, being my favorite final evo of the starters.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
Even though water types are my favorite type overall, it's actually not too difficult for me to choose a favorite, that being Blastoise. Now it's probably just me having a soft-spot for the starter of my first Pokemon game, but also, it's a turtle packing heat. That's pretty epic in my opinion.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Wartortle. I mean just look at it. =o It's a taller, darker version of that adorable chap Squirtle but with added adorableness of a fury tail and ears. :3 Plus, it's just so damn badass looking. Blastoise is indeed cool, but he's just so big that I feel he has little mobility, but not Wartortle. ; D

Wartortle is my alltime favorite Pokemon, and thus is obviously my favorite water type. :3

I'm quite a fan of some of the underappreciated, if I can call them that, Water-types. The ones like Seel, Cloyster, Chinchou, Sharpedo and Clamperl stand out to me.

Strong shoutout's go to the Gen I fossils too, they're awesome for Water-types ^^

Argh, this was hard. My favourites are Golduck, Vaporeon, Swampert, Buizel/Floatzel and Feraligatr. But I'd have to say that my all time favourite is Vaporeon. The design, the moveset. Everything is so cute/badass about it. In all my LG runs I've gone with Vaporeon. I always get the feeling that they are so trustworthy..

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
For the longest time, my favourite water-types were Wartortle and Vaporeon: Wartortle for similar reasons Red mentioned (badass is right!), and Vaporeon because it's the first water-type I ever raised in-game, it has a nifty design, and it's a great Pokemon overall. Not many of the others, aside from a select few like Suicune and Slowking, really stood out to me for a good three generations.

Then Buizel came along and it became a struggle to determine my favourite. Buizel has an adorable design, and I've always liked weasel-type critters, so it became an instant fave for me. I think I still leaned towards Vaporeon overall, but Buizel is amoung my top favourite Pokemon in general.

But now there's no contest. The otter line has completely trumped all other water-types for me. I still love you guys, Buizel/Vaporeon/Wartortle/Suicune/Slowking, but there's no question about it. Dewott is love. I love Dewott. And Oshawott. And Samurott. But Dewott most of all. :'D

The fossil turtles are pretty cool, too. ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Vaporeon all the way. I've never been a fan of Water Types, especially in the first Gen. There just weren't any that I liked, and thus Vaporeon always became my default Water Type. I don't think I've ever done a play through of Red/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen without having loyal little Vaporeon with me (aside from Yellow, where I obviously had all three starters and therefore Squirtle). Not sure what it is... maybe just the fact that Vaporeon has the appearance of a mammal-based critter. I've never been one for fish, crabs or frogs~

I do like Swampert and Floatzel, but really, Water just isn't my type XD

Well I don't really like water and it's never been the type I look too but there is one I love. Ludicolo, it is just funny and awesome and one of my favourites from the 3rd gen.

I have two favorites, actually. One is my all-time favorite Pokémon; Swampert. Dat beast. I love Swampert. It was the first starter I beat Sapphire with, and the first one I trained to level 100. I love me some Swampert. It looks so beastly and powerful. And when gen IV came along, both of its STAB's had viable physical options. And the sprite made it look more mobile. It has potential as a lead, with Stealth Rocks, and as a tank, with Curse. And it works well on Sand teams, the most common kind of team in the current OU metagame. Swampert is a baws.

As for the second one...

Linkachu said:
Dewott is love. I love Dewott. And Oshawott. And Samurott. But Dewott most of all. :'D

Amen :')

When I first beat White with Samurott, I felt a kind of bond thingy when N tells you what your Pokémon said back in Accumula Town. I could imagine myself in that scenario, with an Oshawott by my side. But, when I finished my second run of the game, this time with Emboar, I didn't feel the same way. Don't get me wrong, I love Tepig and Emboar Pignite is meh, flaming fart. But Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott (especially Dewott) just melted my heart. I am so jealous of Ash, whose Oshawott has an amazing personality to boot T-T

Some other Water Pokés I really like are; Ludicolo (Ludicolo colo colo), Lantern, Cloyster, Gastrodon, Floatzel, Empoleon, Golduck and Politoed. (When I only name the last evolution, I generally mean the entire line)

Hm, let's seeeeeee ♥

I have a few water types that I really adore. Lapras was an OG favorite of mine dating back to the Orange Island days. Whenever I imagine a character riding on a back of a large water Pokemon, Lapras is always the first one that springs to mind. I also really like Vaporeon after having used it in competitive battling and because it's adorable. Suicune I loved from the first time I saw it back in Johto Journeys in its cool silhouette forme. Feraligatr has a special place in my heart because Totodile was the first official starter Pokemon that I ever picked way back in Silver and to this day, I never pick Cyndaquil because I don't want my rival to have Totodile (among other reasons). Swampert was another one I liked after using it competitively...besides what's not to love about a swamp thing? Milotic also deserves and honorable mention for being graceful~

Originally, Squirtle was my favorite water-type, then Seadra.

More recently, I'd really taken a liking to Dewott. I used to think Samurott was pretty cool, but I lost interest in him fairly fast, mostly because his design is so radically different than Dewott's. I'd actually thought of what could have been an alternate design for Samurott: a grizzled ronin otter Pokemon.

For gameplay purposes, my preference is Starmie.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Starmie is my all-time favorite Water-type and like second favorite Pokemon in general. Mostly because it's neat looking and makes awesome noises in the anime, but it's not bad in-game either.

Runners up would be Jellicent and Gyarados.

Last edited by a moderator:
mudkip, poliwhirl, gyarados, marill, chinchou, psyduck, omastar, buizel ar some of my fav water types.. that's all..thank you! :)

Its a draw between 13 pokemon x.x

But if I had to choose one I would choose urm ... Surskit

Sorry Poliwag, Dewgong, Cloyster, Lanturn, Politoed, Wooper, Qwilfish, Octillery, Gorebyss, Relicanth, Lumineon and Swanna. He just slightly more unique than you

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
My favourite water-type is Starmie because, let's face it - Starmie is pretty bad-ass. I've loved that purple star since I first lay eyes on it. I don't have ONE single favourite overall Pokémon. I have multiple. However, if someone asks me what it is overall? It's a toss up between Starmie and Vaporeon. Both are fantastic companions and never let me down but if I was forced to choose one - Starmie. I'm much more confident with it in battle and rarely lose when it's in my party.

[I also want to childishly brag about the fact that I have a shiny Starmie & Vaporeon. ♥]

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
And since this thread was dredged from the depths of the abyssal maw, I guess It's time I replied too.

Water is one of those types that has a hell of a lot of creatures - a large chunk of them are filler. But let's see which ones I could think of.
  • Clauncher/Clawitzer - The most recent addition to the pile. Pistol Shrimps are amazing creatures and, honestly, are also one of the creatures that have been ASKING to have a Pokémon based on. And lo, not only we got an awesome creature but also an awesome design/execution and a fair bit of usability. Yeah, I love these things.
  • Lapras - I've already gushed about my appreciation for the things on the Favorite Ice-Type thread, so I'm not going to repeat it over here. Suffice to say Lapras is amazing and leave it at that.
  • Vaporeon - Over-hyped to death as the Eeveelutions are, I've always had a soft spot for Vap. It's the only one of the original three whose design had any sort of originality to it (as opposed to a bigger, fluffier colorswap and a literal Super Saiyan), it's one of the better Eeveelutions in terms of combat usability and it is rather lovely in general. Definitely a favorite.
  • Kabutops - It's always amusing to see a creature that is adorable but relatively plain looking like Kabuto transcend its first form and mutate into something that is made of pure badass. Kabutops is a perfect example - a quasi-anthropomorphic, sickle-armed horseshoe-crab based aquatic apex predator brought back from the past to terrorize the present - and though it could really use a bit of a broader physical move pool, the thing can still destroy you. Yup. I like it.
  • Mantine - Manta Rays are amongst my favorite animals on the planet and I must say that I've always appreciated Mantine, though it was never a species I seriously attempted training until recently - and all I can say is holy hell. Why did it take me so long to train one of these things. They are utterly amazing, even with their x4 Electric weakness. I've had one of the things surviving attacks by things many times higher-levelled than it and dishing out quite a bit of damage in return. And look lovely while doing it.
Other miscellaneous things I really like include Golduck, Starmie, Lanturn, Carracosta, Tentacool/Tentacruel and (if legendaries are to be counted), Suicune - for assorted design and usability reasons. For a rather common type with a lot of filler, there are relatively many water-types I'm fond of - which believe me, surprises me more than it should. XD

Holy crap, there are a lot of these. 121, to be exact. Let's Dive right into it, shall we?

Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise: My favorite starter out of the original three, and the only Water-Type starter I have ever liked far more than its companions in starterdom. There's the fact that it evolves into a giant walking tortoise with cannons on its back, and also, there is some influence from the anime. I cannot get the image of a Squirtle with shades out of my head. Yeah, this guy(or gal) is cool.

Tentacool/Tentacruel: At first, these guys were just annoying and popped up everywhere, whether I was fishing or surfing. Then I actually trained one, and found that I liked it. Nice Sp. Def and Speed, and it makes a good HM slave!

Cloyster: Now, Shellder is a Pokemon I do not like. I dislike it appearance-wise, and while it has good Defense, its other stats are pretty bad. Cloyster, however, has amazing Defense, and the other stats get a decent boost as well. Plus, I just really like how it is a floating shell with a living creature inside that shoots spikes out of its forehead.

Lapras: The Transport Pokemon has earned its name, happily ferrying people to wherever they wish to go. Good HP, and its other stats are not bad. Movepool is good, appearance is good...this thing is just awesome.

Kabutops: I love this Pokemon! A walking horseshoe crab/predator who can live on both land and sea, with sickles for hands, used to hunt down prey and drain their body fluids? Magnificent. One of my Top 6 Pokemon.

Chinchou/Lanturn: I really do adore this. Water/Electric Type, which I believe is a combination unique to them so far, with a good movepool and decent stats.

Wingull/Pelipper: This reliable little guy(or girl) has been very helpful to me throughout my playthroughs of Emerald. Able to learn both Surf and Fly, as well as some other decent moves, this Pokemon has been very helpful to me on my Hoenn journeys.

Buizel: This Pokemon is just...cool. A very speedy little creature, and an awesome Pokemon overall. I love it appearance-wise, and I have used it an its evolution, Floatzel, on Platinum runs before.

Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott: Although Snivy is my favorite out of the Unova starters, this Pokemon isn't too far behind. He is a good, blanced choice, and a cool Pokemon. I like its moves, its appearance, its stats( a great attacker, with good enough defensive capabilities to sustain itself)...this Pokemon is terrific.

Frogadier: I did rather like this Pokemon's appearance, going along with the theme of the starters. He looks cool, and like he can be rather quick and sneaky.

Clauncher/Clawitzer: Pistol. Shrimp. Pokemon. (And Mega Launcher). Enough said.

And of course, my favorite Water Pokemon are:

1. Kabutops
2. Blastoise
3. Lanturn

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Did I really not answer this back in the day? o-o Eh, might as well then XD

I'm pretty much obligated to say that Magikarp are my favorite now because reasons <33333 But if I'm going to be serious, lemme list a few~

Vaporeon
Chinchou/Lanturn
Ducklett/Swanna
Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise
Mudkip
Sharpedo
Buizel/Floatzel
Kyogre
Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott
Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra
Spheal/Sealeo

My absolute favorite is probably Lanturn, actually. I just really like Lanturn's design, it's so tubby and adorable and it looks like it has a mask and it has this little shining bulb on its head~ I also really its typing, and having a water type that was immune to electric attacks with Volt Absorb as an ability just really appealed to me back in the day :3

Milotic. Reason why, You need to train the ugly and weak little Feebas till it gets max beauty, and once it evolves, it becomes a beautiful sea beast and man can I wreck trainers with that, not to mention it gets a massive stat boost so I am grateful for that. Sure it took forever to raise it, but if I was able to raise Magikarp to a Gyarados, then I was able to train Feebas into a Milotic and it was well worth it.

Milotic - Milotic is my favorite Water type Pokemon because it proves a point that even losers can become winners; Feebas to Milotic. I also love Milotic because it is beautiful, but of course you don't need to hear it from me. The name says it all. Venus de Milo + exotic (beautiful).

Water Pokemon are like the best! I think Totodile, Huntail, Mudkip, and Kingdra are like the best. Totodile and family have awesome designs along with Mudkip and family. Huntail is just so cute and its color scheme is pretty and Kingdra is just so awesome with being a Water and Dragon type.
367.gif

Was never a fan of water types until Crawdaunt was introduced. Even with water and dark type attacks being Special at that time that thing still packed a punch.
Top three: Crawdaunt, Kabutops, Tentacruel.

hmm it is hard.. Never been a hardcore fan towards water types, since my favorite type is fire hurrr! but I will have to say; Milotic or Kingdra c:

A tie between Empoleon, Floatzel, Feraligatr, Bastoise, and Lapras. I chose mostly water starters every time I started a pokemon game (Except Froakie and Mudkip), and I like Floatzel because I had one in my White 2 team, and it dominated Drayden and Iris with Ice Punch. I like Lapras because it used to be my all-time favourite for a long time. I'll probably use her again once I get X and Y. :)