• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favorite Pokemon to use Competitivly?

When Sun and Moon came out, a lot of new threats got introduced into the competitive game. Toxapex, Aquarnid, Ultra Beasts. So, I'm interested. Legendary, Mega, Ultra Beast, whatever. What's your favorite Pokémon to use competitively, how did you get it, and what set do you run on it?

They tell me true power is black.
*Cue Necrozma*
They tell me true power is green.
*Cue Rayquaza*

These people are incorrect. Because true terror, true power, is Pink.
*Cue Blissey*

Blissey. Just, Blissey. The perfect wall, the perfect staller, the perfect healer, the perfect competitive Pokémon.
In Pokémon Pearl, I was given a Pokémon egg. I carried it through a quarter of my main adventure, until it hatched into Happiny. Nicknamed Rosa, I trained this thing up to the same level as my starter, and it evolved into Chansey. Then, I traded it with that Oval Stone of it's, getting myself a Blissey. I heard about it's HP and Special Defense, so I wanted a moveset that didn't require Attack or Defense. Then came the monster, Toxic, Thunder Wave, Protect, Soft-Boiled. I also equipped this thing with Leftovers. I had a beast, one that singlehandedly took out Cynthia's Garchomp, Lucario, and Milotic. I then brought Rosa to B/W, where she did the exact same. Gen 6, she wasn't needed. Kinda easy... But Sun and Moon gave us a real difficulty spike, and you better bet I used Rosa throughout the entire post-game. After ORAS, I realized that Blissey was the strongest Pokémon I had ever owned. So, I dabbled in competitive play, where it destroyed a lot of major threats. (Ask @Lord Of Pain how his Mega Rayquaza is doing) I'm thinking about entering a few tournaments along with my other competitive Pokémon, Blaziken, Mega Gengar, Steelix, Vikavolt, and Gyrados. But Blissey will always remain my strongest Pokémon, and this is coming from Mewtwofan259!

So, I'm curious, what's your favorite Pokémon to use competitively? How did you get it, and what set do you run on it?

True power is Black

But only after support from true support which is Yellow

People see solo mons as great powerhouses, but duos bring hell to earth, as my special monster
*cue Necrozma*

And his nightmare of a support
*cue Ribombee*

It's pretty simple, one does their job as the lead, if ignored then the other comes in for the clean up

Ribombee goes in to set up 2 quiver dances, enemy either attacks, sets up or uses toxic, either way I manage at least one quiver dance, sash keeps me alive against big threats, anything slower than greninja -and the pokemon in question- are out sped, moon blast STAB, HP Ground for coverage, sweet vile to keep me safe from sleep, and most importantly baton pass

*cue funeral music*

x2 special defence, special attack and speed make Necrozma a bulky speedy sweeping nightmare who most of the time OHKOs everything, stored power for STAB and use of the boosts, Dark Pulse for coverage, moon light to keep me alive and calm mind in case 2 QDs aren't possible

Blissey? 2 shot at most

Bisharp? 2 shot at most

Mega metagross? 1 shot

Fortress and Mega Scizor? 1 shot

Notice something? A lot of pokemon that resist my two attacks get distorted

Oh and with 2 Sp Defence boosts and Prism armor dark, Ghost and bug don't grantee any OHKOs.... In fact not even a 3 HKO....

These two are my Ace Duo

Every black monster has a
yellow nightmare behind them - Lord of pain

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
*skips the theatrics*

My favorite Pokemon to use competitively back in Gen VI were Mega Altaria, Mamoswine, and Beheeyem.

Mamoswine ended up finding a place on almost all my teams since Ground and Ice-type STAB killed most things in the metagame, on top of Mamo being relatively tanky and just very powerful. I can thank @Tailon for introducing me to the 'mon for competitive purposes. I don't think I run the exact same set, but I always make sure to carry at least Earthquake and Ice Shard.

Beheeyem was an oddball, but I found giving mine an Assault Vest while running Analytic gave it amazing power while still being able to survive most Special attacks (even eating up a Dark Pulse from Greninja and surviving with about 50% of its HP). Beheeyem is very much my baby; I ran mine with Thunderbolt, Psyshock, Shadow Ball, and HP Fighting. HP Fighting killed any and all Bisharps that tried to switch in~

Lastly, Mega Altaria. Is mine a physical attacker? Special? Special, physical tank? Cleric? Set-up sweeper? Perish Song user? I've ran all those sets and more, and really I can't find a better 'mon than Fluffy Cloud of Doom. Mega Altaria boasts a pretty good defensive typing while still having amazing attacks. Also, Dragon Dance + Pixilated Return REALLY hurts.

I like running Aggron. I know, 4x weaknesses aren't good, but screw 'em. I'll use Aggron anyway. I usually pair it up with Slowbro or Trevenant for my Trick Room doubles team. I give it a Wide Lens to buff the accuracy of Head Smash and Dragon Tail. Head Smash Aggron is something to be feared in Trick Room.

I also like Crawdaunt. Usually serves as the secondary power hitter on my Trick Room team. Has good speed regardless of whether TR is up or not (Aqua Jet), so I also use it in singles from time to time. Hits like a damn truck. :D

For singles I love Drought Ninetales. I really don't like fire types. I really, REALLY don't (aside from Typhlosion). But this guy just plain-old works. I run an unconventional moveset, so it's a bit risky. But it usually pays off in one way or another. It also plays into my gambling playstyle- I like to stay in on type threats to screw with the opponent and get those KOs.
Moveset: Hypnosis, Nasty Plot, Solarbeam, Fire Blast.
Item: Wide Lens.

EDIT: More fun with Aggron: In ORAS I ended up with a Jolly Aggron for some reason... So I named her Maggie, maxed her speed EVs and run her in-game. Works really well with Jasper (Ninjask) as a Speed Boost/Swords Dance Baton Pass recipient. Fastest damn Aggron I've ever seen. :D

Last edited: