• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favorite Main Character

Who is your favorite of the main characters in the anime?

• Ash

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Brock

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Misty

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • May

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Dawn

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Tracy

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Max

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Jessie

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
Out of all the main characters in the show, who is your favorite? I'm talking about the good guys, Ash and his friends, not Team Rocket (man are they lame. Jessie doesn't deserve a Yanmega, thats for sure).

My favorite is May. She chose the same starter I did. Plus I find her to be really cute.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
*Giggles at the lack of Max*

I resent that TR remark, fyi. Team Rocket is the pwnz, and easily my favourite characters in the show beyond Ash XP

Anyways, I gotta be honest. For all of the idiotic things the boy has said and done over the years, Ash is clearly my favourite protagonist in the show. I generally get attached to the main-main characters in a series for whatever reason, but I think it goes deeper than that with Ash. He's hyper, generally carefree/optimistic, downright goofy at times, competitive, friendly, compassionate, and will keep fighting for his friends & dreams even when odds are completely against him. How many times has the moron jumped into a situation that could've killed him without a second thought? I respect the boy for that, and for how much he cares for Pokemon. It's not just his own, either - he'll fight for anyone's. He's a good kid, and makes for a good main character in that series (even if most of the deep character development happens to the other characters these sagas XD).

Hmm, I don't really have a favorite. Since Paul doesn't count, I'd have to say Misty is my favorite main character. Mind you, I'm mainly talking about Misty pre-Master Quest...so yeah. The show was hilarious back then and Misty really helped to provide some of the comic relief with the Ash, Brock, and Psyduck abuse. It was cool that she provided that second guide for Ash in the beginning. Sorry I can't give a deep answer like Katie did XD

I actually agree with you about Team Rocket: a good 90% of their appearances really end up pissing me off (mostly when they try to steal Pikachu/some other random Pokemon) and making me wish I had the fast forward button for live TV. I'm talking recently though as in the past, TR used to really make me laugh. (I AM THE MIGHTY MOLTRES). There's still that 10% though...

I chose Brock.
It wasn't so much so much choosing a character, as elimination of others XD.
But I think he sort balances the seasaw so to speak, as he has a fair bit of knowledge and often comments on Ash's mistakes, which is the only thing stopping me from grabbing the computer and shouting "AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS ASH IS AN IDIOT FOR USING GROTLE AND GLISCOR IN A GYM BATTLE AGAINST ICE POKEMON?!" or "WHY DOESN'T HE USE CHARIZARD?!"
However, I'm not here to 'bash Ash', and he was my second choice.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Frankly, TR are the only thing that kept me watching the anime through the Johto drag, and I sure as fuck love them more than any of the Twerp Trios so far. I despise all three of the female characters, and Brock, though initially awesome, became a bit of a sad joke - little more than a running gag. Ash is getting much better, though.

This poll, however, greatly lacks a very specific member of Ash's adventures - who was just as much of a main character, and whose only fault ever was owning a fuxing Marill.

WHERE'S TRACY, BITCH?! Seriously. The guy was a main character enough and certainly awesome enough. But I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Orange Island arc...

My favorite was Misty. She annoyed Ash a ton and started Brock's ear-pulling when he's lovestruck. Plus she is a water Gym Leader. My favorite type of all time. I also loved her Politoed's clapping.

Would have put Team Rocket, but they are somewhat annoying now because they appear in every episode trying to steal Pikachu. Gotten kinda old. The organization still rocks. Hence my avatar.

Frankly, TR are the only thing that kept me watching the anime through the Johto drag, and I sure as fuck love them more than any of the Twerp Trios so far. I despise all three of the female characters, and Brock, though initially awesome, became a bit of a sad joke - little more than a running gag. Ash is getting much better, though.

This poll, however, greatly lacks a very specific member of Ash's adventures - who was just as much of a main character, and whose only fault ever was owning a fuxing Marill.

WHERE'S TRACY, BITCH?! Seriously. The guy was a main character enough and certainly awesome enough. But I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Orange Island arc...

Dude, I know your a site admin or owner or something, but can you please keep a civil tongue if you post here?

Anyways, sorry, I forgot about Tracy. I'll add him to the list. I'll also add Max.
And if you guys insist, I'll also add Team Rocket (I still don't think Jessie deserves a Yanmega).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
For the record, I wasn't calling you a bitch - it was more of a general statement (akin to 'YO, WHERE MAH TRACY AT, BITCHESSSSSS~' or somesuch sillyness). I'm sorry if you interperted it otherwise.

But that doesn't exactly give you the right to call me out.

For the record, I wasn't calling you a bitch - it was more of a general statement (akin to 'YO, WHERE MAH TRACY AT, BITCHESSSSSS~' or somesuch sillyness). I'm sorry if you interperted it otherwise.

I think he was referring to the fuck part, Stel xD

I wasn't trying to call you out, whatever that means. I just don't particularly like profanity.

I wasn't questioning your authority or anything.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and back Stel up on this one.
Tracy was awesome. Especially at that time when no one else really had cool Pokémon, he had that amazing Scyther. That thing had a back story a mile long and Tracy's Pokémon were the only ones with interesting personalities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=StellarWind Elsydeon link=topic=7054.msg126350#msg126350 date=1260503591]

I wasn't trying to call you out, whatever that means. I just don't particularly like profanity.

[/quote]

Hate to break it to you, but... read this thread here. I'm sorry if this offends you, but it's likely you'll see more profanity used in other threads as well (and I'd steer clear of any RPs or story threads).

But either way, calmness, guys. XD

Team Rocket rules.

That being said I picked Ash. Maybe it's because I'm just so used to him, but he seems perfect for his role. He's driven, full of heart, kind of a moron more times then not, but in a good way, and he's just generally enjoyable. Sometimes a show will have a main character that just makes you want to kick your tv screen in. Ash isn't like that, he's just fun to watch.

I'm going to be weird and vote for Dawn. Granted, the writers have a habit of concentrating her fail moments into massive pools and letting them run for several episodes before she starts being a decent character again. However, she's an optimistic person and looks out for her friends and Pokemon whenever they're feeling down.

[quote author=JTrainer link=topic=7054.msg126353#msg126353 date=1260504190]
[quote author=StellarWind Elsydeon link=topic=7054.msg126350#msg126350 date=1260503591]

[/quote]

Hate to break it to you, but... read this thread here. I'm sorry if this offends you, but it's likely you'll see more profanity used in other threads as well (and I'd steer clear of any RPs or story threads).

But either way, calmness, guys. XD
[/quote]

Sorry, didn't see that part. Anyways, I can deal with profanity in these forums (as long as it is not directed at me). I just don't like it, or use it...EVER.

Brock, definitely. I mean, who's Ash's only friend throughout all the arcs? Who keeps all the technical things (food, tents, etc.) running? Who is quite hilarious in his failed flirting?

Brock.

The only thing I don't like is the fact he left being a Gym Leader to walk around with Ash. I would have liked the pride, prestige, and responsibilities of helping trainers on their journey.

Despite becoming nothing more than a running joke, I have to agree. I like Brock.

When they're not making him just do the chase-after-everything routine he's good for actual insight into the world of pokémon, Brock non-women centric episodes tend to be really good, although I did get a bit sick of Ludicolo. I'd like to see Brock actually have a fully fledged team again, and have more battles representing his hometown and reminding people he is actually a gym leader. I liked in the kanto series, I believe the cerulean gym match episode when officer jenny asked ash and brock what they were doing when he held up a badge from his gym and made a reference to that fact. True it'd be fairly easy to write him out of the series again like they did misty, but I'd be a bit disappointed as like I said, Brock getting some more airtime actually as more than a running joke would be good.

I'd rather see TR get written out than Brock, but I've written about my disdain over TR on several occasions, and I've accepted they aren't going anywhere, I'm more interested in team changes of theirs etc these days.

Ash is a close second to brock just for the record, I am liking how he has been changing as a character, especially in this arc, I just hope his most recent team addition doesn't make him turn into too much of a power player, one ridiculously power-fluctuating pokémon is enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to like Team rocket but they've become so laaame. Now I just want to fast forward every time they talk. And I agree jessie doesn't deserve a yanmega.
But I have to say misty will forever hold a special place in my heart.
A great water trainer is just what the series needs to bring back.