• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favorite Holiday Food?

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Well, for us Americans, Thanksgiving is a couple of weeks away, and Christmas and New Years are just around the corner. So what are your guys' favorite things to eat around this time of the year?

Personally I always look forward to glazed yams for Thanksgiving, along with cranberry sauce and the various deserts my family makes, like this yummy Jell-o that was my grandmother's recipe. I suppose the turkey is also yummy, and who doesn't like bread rolls?

As for Christmas I can't get enough of that honey-glazed ham :'D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hn. Well, just recently I've decided that I love the sweet potatoes with the marshmallows on top. I don't know if it has a special name, but it's awesome, and I get it for both Thanksgiving and Christmas :'D

My family makes a lot of deserts as well, but I'll usually hold out for either some Pumpkin Pie because I love it so much, or my Grandma's Lemon Meringue pie. It's also delicious.

I enjoy the Turkey and Ham as well, but on the not desert side I'd have to say Hawaiian bread rolls. You can get them any time of the year, yes, but there's always copious amounts of them at the holiday time :'D

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Stuffing. (Alternately called dressing). It's so simple, yet so delicious. :V My Gramma and Aunt spend like two days making tons and tons of it and then I sit there eating it like mad on Thanksgiving. It's just way too good...I can't wait for Thanksgiving... :'D

As for Christmas, I love the French Toast that my Mom makes in the morning for our annual Christmas brunch. Delicious. And I also get to eat a ton of bacon. :3

Chadwyck said:
Hn. Well, just recently I've decided that I love the sweet potatoes with the marshmallows on top. I don't know if it has a special name, but it's awesome, and I get it for both Thanksgiving and Christmas :'D
Those are called candy yams. At least, that's what my mom calls them. but they are very delicious, yes.

I see myself looking forward to the deviled eggs my mother cooks for Thanksgiving and Christmas. They way she makes them is delightful. And the Thanksgiving Jell-O as well. Lime Jell-O with whipped cream and pineapple chunks.
Another thing is the hot cocoa and cinnamon buns that we make on Christmas morning. We can't open presents until they are done, and we eat some. My parents like the orange icing from the Pillsbury cinnamon buns, but I think that's gross. I get the regular icing, but eh.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I can never get my fill of stuffing. I just love that stuff to bits and pieces, and every Thanksgiving I usually force my parents to buy some. I don't care about that turkey and mashed potatoes nonsense; just get me my STUFFING. ♥ I do love sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, turkey, and pumpkin pie as well, though. Not as much as my stuffing~

For Christmas, I have to say that I do enjoy the traditional red-bean soup my parents make for us every year. It's nice and warm, and it's sweet, but not like candy sweet. Kinda like the sweetness you get when eating sweet potatoes or something. It totally warms me up to the core even mroe so than hot chocolate. I also love the breads my grandma makes at that time of the year... so fluffy and warm and delicious and starchy. ♥

edit: I mean, Eggnog. got distracted because I am EASILY DISTRACT.

Eggnog is a "love it or hate it" thing

which becomes REALLY CHEAP soon after Christmas.

But it's a bad idea to reintroduce it to yourself by drinking a whole carton of the store variety over a single shift.

Shiny Eevee said:
I can never get my fill of stuffing. I just love that stuff to bits and pieces, and every Thanksgiving I usually force my parents to buy some. Just get me my STUFFING. ♥ I do love sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, turkey, and pumpkin pie as well, though. Not as much as my stuffing~
Sir Red said:
Stuffing. (Alternately called dressing). It's so simple, yet so delicious. :V My Gramma and Aunt spend like two days making tons and tons of it and then I sit there eating it like mad on Thanksgiving. It's just way too good...I can't wait for Thanksgiving... :'D

As for Christmas, I love the French Toast that my Mom makes in the morning for our annual Christmas brunch. Delicious. And I also get to eat a ton of bacon. :3

Couldn't agree more! I love the Christmas food, with the honey-glazed ham, the chicken, the sprouts, potatoes, and especialy the stuffing. Go stuffing! :3

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... Stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. Definitely my top favourite holiday-ish foods. I actually don't like turkey much at all, and my family generally doesn't have ham for the holidays. I'd love to start a tradition like that, tho. Ham > turkey. :p But no honey glaze for me. I like the flavour of ham on its own, sometimes with standard mustard. Now that's the ticket~

Other things I enjoy are the treats (all the bad stuff), but my top favourite to eat around Christmas are Ferrero Rocher. These guys:

073149J28504.jpg

Such pricey chocolates, but I love them so much - and at Christmas, I can justify the purchase. 8D

-A Guide to Dutch Holiday Food Traditions-

On Sinterklaas, the Dutch version of Santa Claus (Even though we also celebrate Christmas, meaning we get presents twice a year :D), there are certain traditions when it comes to food; We have 'pepernoten', which freely translates to peppernuts but Google tells me it's called gingerbread cookies.

pepernoten.jpg

Those tasty little rascals~

Then there's marzipan, which I personally think is reaaaaaly sweet.

On Christmas, the usual main dish is turky/duck with stuffing and cranberry sauce. I looooove it. Especially when it's nice and salty, with nuts in the stuffing~

And last but not least, on New Year's Eve we eat 'oliebollen', freely translated 'oil balls' but Google tells me they're donuts. Well, they're not.

oliebollen2.jpg

So good~

I'm a carbo queen. I basically only eat the mashed potatoes and crescent rolls at Thanksgiving. I have a little turkey, but it's not what I look forward to XD The cranberry sauce is okay, but the consistency gets me. I have -major- consistency issues, for any and all types of food. I also can't eat tater tots, or lettuce in sandwiches. I can eat lettuce outside of sammiches, but for some reason, lettuce + bread = gagging me. Ergo, got the same issue with the stuffing.

And on Christmas, we usually have some form of roast that's simply delicious ♥ Again, with mashed potatoes and crescent rolls.

On both holidays, we have this apple pie that my mom makes. It's possibly the sweetest apple pie out there, and it's amazing~ I love it at all stages of it's creation. I often pilfer some of the apples before they go into the pie because they're all cinnamony and sugary ♥

Well, I'm not exactly a sweets person all the time, but I love it when my grandma makes her honey-glazed ham. Lemme tell you something delicious!

And another was back when my Grandmother was still around, every year she and I would make homemade Divinity, which looks like white whips of cream that hardens as it cools, but melts in your mouth. Mm mm! That was always good. I think I'mthe only one who remembers where she keeps her recipe too, so I may end up having to eat that disgusting store bought crap. Nothing compares to our Divinity!

I, being nearly a carnivore XD eat meat. Lots and lots of meat, regardless of the type. However, the peppermint based desserts are also a must.