• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favorite handheld system.

What is your favorite handheld system?

• DSi

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • DS

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • PSP

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • GBA

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
I'd say DS, mostly because it has an incredible selection of games and a touch screen. Not to mention that there are three different kinds of DS's to choose from.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I have to go with the DS as well. I've had pretty much all of the Nintendo handhelds over the years, and it's by far the best.

The DSi loses out because you can't play GBA games on it...:/

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's hard to say these days, but I ended up voting for DS Lite over the DSi. However, both have their pros and cons.

Pros for DS/Lite: * The GBA slot. Not only has my DS Lite replaced my GBA SP for most everything, I've heavily abused the GBA-DS link-up feature and really appreciate it. As long as I play 3rd gen Pokemon games - which is actually still pretty frequently - I'll be using the Pal Park.
* Better battery life. This has become increasingly noticeable the more I use my DSi.

Pros for DSi: * Downloadable content. I love the games I've downloaded so far, and I'm sure many more interesting ones will pop up over time. In the end, it's just fun having games saved directly onto the handheld.
* SD card usage. I didn't realize how great having that addition would be until actually purchasing an SD card. Now I use it between my DSi, Wii, and laptop. It's awesome.
* Better wireless, external sound, slightly bigger screen, etc. All of the spec improvements I appreciate, even if they are minor in some cases. It just one-ups the DS Lite and makes it better to play on. I've designated my DSi for Pokemon Platinum, and while I didn't notice the larger screens at first - I do now.

Not gonna bother with cons. The pros lists kinda say all. Either way, the GBA slot is still a very big feature for me, and because of it I could never stop using my DS Lite. Still, I'm happy with my purchase of a DSi and am really enjoying owning it ^^

*Lolz at poor little ignored PSP. I actually do own one, it's just not even a contender for me vs DS...*

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The better system is the PSP. No question. It's got so much versatility in its capabilities, is much more customisable and - of course - has a better screen and more power that can be used for games much closer to what you'd expect on consoles.

Unfortunately, there are about a dozen decent PSP games and despite a pretty promising digital distribution model, it isn't likely to be all that strong until the PSP Go is well out there.

When it comes to games, it's undeniable that the DS is the indisputable winner. Between the DS/Lite and the DSi - well, there's bugger all in it until they finally release DSi enhanced and exclusive games, so I'll make my judgement on that when that happens.

I'd be tempted to say my PSP was my favourite handheld though - because I use it for so much more that it's almost invaluable when on the move.

I'm on the same boat as Oak.

I myself love using my PSP for my daily on-the-moveness, however the lack of substantial games gets me to crack open my DS and play some real games.

The competition between the DS, DSLite, and DSi is kinda pointless. I just use my regular DS and I'm 100% fine with it. The DSLite isn't powerful enough in terms of sound and its Stylus placement sucks, and the DSi doesn't have a GBA slot.

Likewise, the original DS can use the same powercord as my SP, which makes it easier to charge both.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I guess that's why I could never vote for PSP. I didn't use it on a daily/regular basis because everything it could do beyond gaming I had other devices for (iPod Mini for music, laptop for internets, etc.). Didn't really take to its video capabilities much either. Sadly my PSP is mostly just a paperweight beyond a few awesome games only it has. My DS Lite is the handheld I always had on me when traveling place to place.

PSP's battery life also blows - hard. I think the best I could get out of it was 6 hours max, and when it's meant to be a handheld device - not something you constantly need to have plugged in to enjoy - that's pretty bad. Maybe this newest model is better, but I don't really see much point to upgrade my PSP Slim. If there was any PSP system I'd buy next, it'd be the PSP Go for its massive storage (I really wish the standard PSP memory cards weren't such expensive bastards...).

But I digress... Moosechu, I think you're in the minority of people who prefer the old clunky DS to the DS Lite XD

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Go has the same battery life as the 3000 despite the fact it no longer has a crap UMD drive. Dunno how they've managed that one...

I'd be tempted by a Go because of the storage - but not for £250. I think I'll wait a few years until another model or two of that have made it out.

I've played with a friend's PSP and found it a little hard to handle, mostly because I'm used to Nintendo's controls.

GBA has most of the Pokemon games, but those are the only games I would ever play on one, anyway. Besides, I don't even own one.

The DSi took out the GBA slot, which prevents one from playing Pokemon, so that instantly removes any possibility of playing a GBA game. I don't like that. I like my options to be open.

I actually own a DS, find it quite nice with the touchscreen capability, many games for this console are decent, and it has the GBA slot. This makes it my vote.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
DS Lite, and no thucking contest.

Anything that can still run all the awesome the GBA had to offer and still has so many different applications to the touch screen in its own native games is pure win to me.

And the PSP is pure, unrefined consummate fail.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I have to say I'm in love with the DS lite. It's pretty, pretty awesome, pretty elegant-looking, pretty sleek-looking, and comes in an array of pretty colors.

That being said, I also love the DS lite for the reason that it can still play the GBA games that I own. And I admit, I have 4 times as many GBA games as I have DS games (because I only have Pokemon Pearl of the DS and Sapphire, FireRed, Emerald, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team for the GBA. XD), and I love them to bits and pieces.

Plus the fact that the only two handhelds I've ever had are two GBA SP (one wouldn't charge anymore even after I changed the battery because... it's a really long story. So we got another one, and this one got a broken contrast about a year later. XD) and my smashed DS Lite. Which would've totally worked for years and years had my parents not destroyed it.

I'd have to go with the DS. The lack of the GBA slot in the DSi is particularly annoying when you're trying to fill your Platinum dex, seeing that for a good handful you have to have R/S/E/LG/FR in the slot.

Also, I'm a big "The World Ends With You" fan, and can't keep myself away from "Trauma Center", and those are DS titles. I just don't know if the type of titles that would be good on the PSP would be the genre of game that I enjoy playing.

Well even though I don't have one,the DSi in my favorate handheld console. I just like the new and improved models of consoles.Most people don't don't like the DSi only because of the no GBA slot but it doesn't effect me because I have a DS lite but I just want a freakin' DSi! >:(

This one isn't on the list, but I'm going to have to go with the GBA SP.

The size of that thing is just amazingly perfect, and while I love the amazing pause features in the DS, is does not compare in size. The other big thing was that the SP was the first with a backlit screen, and furthermore I love the ability to turn it on an off mid-gameplay. I still do not understand why that feature was taken out of the DS.

That's a hard question...I have the PSP, DSi, DS, and GBA. I think my favorite is a tie between the PSP and DSi. They're really convenient. But I think the best one for only gaming is the GBA because it does have lots of options.

I have yet to actually use a DSi, so although I like the concept I cant really select it.

The PSP struck me as decent, but for any game that interested me I could think of a parallel for the DS.

The GBA-SP... well, I actually prefer that in many ways to the DS, but it's much harder for me to get a decent connection with another player. I never was able to get hold of a very good link cable.

So, if the game in question is single player, then the GBA-SP. Otherwise, the DS Lite.

DSLite, oh how I miss thee! Definite favorite, played both GBA and DS games and the DS games were amazering. It was really natural and fun. Whyyyyyy did I have to loose it?
Only played on a PSP once, and that was some Tony Hawk game. Which I sucked miserably at. It didn't feel as natural as a GBA or a DS... and I don't know any games on it, 'cept maybe the FF games.

Really debating if I should ask for a DS Lite again for Christmas... or get one for cheap afterwords.

I chose DSi because I already have two other DS's to use for the Dual Slot mode which I don't really use too much thanks to Platinum having most of the Pokemon it was used for already available. I don't own a DSi, but my bro does and I've played it. I also like how the main menu is set up compared to the DS and Lite. More like a Wii. Plus by a click of the power button, you get back to the menu instead of restarting the system. Don't get me wrong, I love my bro's old Lite to death (now mine and in better hands. He's 7) but I wouldn't mind owning a DSi.

Well while the DS lite has the best library so far, I must say, that Im playing me and more on the PSP.
The thing is that with the CFM you can get all the old PSX games to work, which is a cool thing, considering I dont have to play them on the big screen anymore (cause they look ugly now).
+ the RPG games for the PSP are pretty good.
I must say right now it is a tie for me considering the gaming options i have on both thingies!

For me it's a tie between the PSP and the DSLite. The PSP has more versatility with its games and the DSLite has the more better games. Glad that I own both handhelds.