• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Favorite American Cartoon(s).

Pretty much stolen from Blisk's "Favorite Anime Thread", but...

What's your favorite American made cartoon. (Yes, Avatar: The Last Airbender qualifies.)

Here's my Top 3 faves. You guys can list as many as you want, and you don't have to leave an explanation:

1) Metalocolypse- I like metal, 'nuff said.
2)The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack- I love that little retard. I'd love to have Flappy as a little brother.
3) Ed, Edd n Eddy- To bad this show had to end. I loved everything about it. Long live the cul-de-sac kids! This show has special meaning to me since it premeired a couple months after I moved into a cul-de-sac.

I forgive you Mystic xD

Mine are Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and you just gotta love Spongebob!

Avatar: The Last Airbender is really the best american cartoon in recent memory at ALL. Yes, most of Adult Swim stuff is rather humorous, but it doesn't have nearly the same coherent feel that a series should have. To find better stuff you have to go back further in time. To either the 80s where the cartoons were so awesome they were bad (or so bad they were awesome) or to the 90s when we had the never since compared Spiderman and X-Men series. Thank You and goodnight. :3

OH! I forgot South Park! That is one of my favorite shows. I love how funny it is. Matt Stone and Trey Parker are geniuses! As Cartmen would say, "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

Not sure if I have a favorite, but I do have some series I really love.

As others have said, Avatar: The Last Airbender is AWESOME. It's really well done, gorgeous, and funny. I also watch a lot of superhero cartoons, i.e. Teen Titans--of which I am not ashamed to admit I watch, and Justice League (Unlimited).

I used to watch a lot of Powerpuff Girls, Scooby-Doo (NOT the crap with Scrappy Doo either), Tom and Jerry in the past as well. Also, I can't forget Rugrats XD I watched Daria when it aired on The-N and I loved the humor in it.

South Park, The Simpsons, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and Transformers Animated.

Avatar's amazing. For a cartoon produced by Nickelodeon to actually have an ongoing, arching plot rather then be episodic in nature is good enough. On top of that, however, the writing's great, characterization is fantastic, the art is beautiful, and the story is fresh. How good the live action film adaptations are remains to be seen, but the original show blew everything else out of the water.

I've always been a Transformers fan, it's my second passion next to Pokemon. The live action Bay films were great from a fanboy point of view, but in terms of story and character, they were lacking. So I was very happy with Transformers Animated, which seemed to take everything I remember loving about the original show and making it like 10x better. Starscream's actually an effective schemer. Megatron's actually a brilliant tactician, and he's more then just evil, he actually sees himself as a freedom fighter against what he sees as an oppressive Autobot regime. Ratchet they took in a completley new direction, but his character growth and his arch with Lockdown was very well done. The stories were surprisingly well written and characterization was the best seen in a Transformers property since Beast Wars.
That being said, it did have its issues. I never really bought David Kaye as Optimus Prime. In fact I wasn't a fan of how they handled Prime at all. I know that by making him a lowly grunt it opened up door for character growth that were not there for Prime before, but still, the role that gave him wasn't Optimus Prime's role. Had they made Optimus Prime the supreme Autobot commander (filled by Ultra Magnus) and given the more central role Prime had to Hot Rod, the show could have been much more.
The Dinobots were also portrayed as stupid to the point of being ineffective, and the human villains fell way short of the mark. Also, the plan of using the 'Cons sparingly, to make them more of a threat, seemed to go by the wayside near the second half of the show's run, probably because the human baddies just weren't that good.
Still, the plot was well thought out and structured, the characterization was amazing, and they really did a great job, for the most part, of reinventing the classic G1 Transformers story.
I still hate the art style though :-P

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Why has no one said Megas XLR? That is American made people and highly, HIGHLY lol inducing! :D Recommended for everyone!

Other favs include Teen Titans, Invader Zim, Beast Wars, Gargoyles, Spider-Man, and of course Loony Toons and Tom and Jerry.

I feel like I should be adding more to the list, but then it might turn into a list of every American Cartoon I have watched ever. XD

Why has no one said Megas XLR? That is American made people and highly, HIGHLY lol inducing! :D Recommended for everyone!

OMG, I can't BELIEVE I forgot this one! It was absolutely hilarious and I was highly disappointed when it stopped coming on Cartoon Network--especially since I didn't have a fast enough internet connection to watch it on Jet Stream.

And remember, chicks dig giant robots!

Haha I watch too much TV. x) Let's see, I love Samurai Jack, Duck Dodgers, Mega XLR, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Metalocalyspe, Chowder, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Invader Zim, The Misadventures of Flapjack, Family Guy, Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, Futurama, Dexter's Laboratory, Freakazoid, and all shows that are so bad that they are good (like Captain Planet).

As with many others here, I must say that Avatar: The Last Airbender is the best American cartoon in a while. I mean, just for starters, the storyline carries out over an episode, with lasting effects.

Another one I must add is Danny Phantom. It may not be of the same caliber as Avatar, but I do like its basis (ghosts and half-ghosts, something you don't see often in cartoons), and I don't feel totally unintelligent indulging in this action cartoon due to antagonists such as Vlad.

Cow and Chicken deserves at least a mention. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Avatar: The Last Airbender. No contest for me. It's easily one of my favourite TV shows in general, and there's nothing about it I don't downright adore. It's just my perfect series in so many ways.

Honorable mention goes to Sonic the Hedgehog (aka. SatAM), which'll always have a special place in my heart. I can say the same about many other 90s cartoons, though...

I would hafta say that Megas XLR was pretty good too. I forgot about it completely. I didn't even remember what it was called. I first watched it 3 days or so straight because of a marathon on Cartoon Network. That show was so cool.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Eeee, Megas XLR. It's somewhere up there in my list of Best Things Ever. Avatar: The Last Airbender is high up there too ^^

Those two aside, the first thing that comes to mind is Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys - which is one of those obscure yet ridiculously awesome series that only sci-fi geeks would truly 'get' as it's a huge send-up to just about everything sci-fi and is full of semi-obscure references. Had a bloody epic cast of characters and voice actors too~

That aside, mostly stuff from the 80s and 90s - such as Silverhawks, the original TMNT (screw the new TMNT. 'darker and grittier and truer to the comic' just means 'boring' and 'takes itself too seriously'), Project G.(ee)K.(e)R, Space Strikers, The Zeta Project... Hurf. Far too many to really remember.

But generally, if it was well animated and epic enough I'd have probably liked it. I despise badly animated things generally - though I DO have one guilty pleasure in badly animated form... Sheep in the Big City. Now THAT show was fucking grade A Puntastic. XD

EDIT: OMFG, I completely forgot Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid and Hysteria! O_o

Crap! How could I forget about Zim, Megas, and Freakaziod!!! One no one has mentioned, is Codname: Kids Next Door.

While the first half of the series really didn't have too much of a plot, they pulled it together in the second half. The characters are memorable, if nothing else.

Here's another one of my show obsessions: Ben 10/B10AF
Now, I know alot of people don't like the new aliens. But in Alien Force, its going somewhere. To me, it feels like its headed straight for Ben 10 Thousand, though they may not make a "third gen" Ben 10 series.

I really had some liking for Pinky and the Brain. The way it was appealed in such a mature fashion just made me laugh a little, and the jokes weren't too childish, so it was a great cartoon to watch. Gotta love that opening tune though.

~BY THE DAWNING OF THE SUN, THEY'LL TAKE OVER THE WORLD~

Stel knows what project GeeKeR is ='D That series was just silly, but you gotta love Gnaw.

I don't suppose anyone remembers Extreme Ghostbusters? While the word extreme is often misused, overused and just plain irksome when people scream it in your ears, I loved Extreme Ghostbusters for being a darker, grittier take on the series.

As of recently, the only cartoon I've taken to watching faithfully is Phineas and Ferb. The subtle humor, wacky musicals and Dr. Doofensmirtz is all rather entertaining. Its good to know there are still some series that don't rely heavily on politically incorrect humor and toilet jokes.

But really, DCAU owned my life as a kid and it still does now. Batman, Superman and in the later years Justice League, Batman Beyond and Static Shock is just so much awesome placed into a series of animated series. Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy are the best Joker and Batman ever!

With all of this talk of Phineas and Ferb, I'd like to say how I've got slightly obsessed with it. I really like it because every episode (except 1) has at least one song in it.

Anyway, more on the topic, I don't really see too many British TV shows on channels I watch, except for BBC/CBBC. That means that I narrow down the shows I watch, just flicking through the channels to see any shows I'd like to watch, but Phineas and Ferb/Spongebob seem to be the only cartoons I watch.

Hmmm, I don't think I have anything new to bring up, everyone listed all the good ones already.

Okay, I have to admit I am starting to love Phineas and Ferb as well... I never thought I'd watch it, since I don't like the art style very much, but when I did sit down and watch it I ended up really enjoying myself. I've been watching it a lot lately.

Sooooo, Flapjack is pretty much my favorite thing in the world. 'Nuff said.

I also like Chowder.

Carmen said Rugrats, which was my favorite show in the entire world for a loooooooong time. I'd always watch it at my Grandma's house since I didn't have cable when I was younger :'D

Speaking of me not having cable when I was younger, I used to watch a lot of Arthur and Jackie Chan Adventures at my house since those were like the only shows on ever :V

Don't really watch that many 'Merican cartoons, but certainly did use too.

I guess Family Guy, because, although the humour can be very sick at times, it's shear stupidity is honourable.

Of course, there is Spongebob. Really pushes bizzare to the edge. David Hasslehoff in the movie? OMGWTF.

I think I am the only person here who doesn't like Avatar, although I did only see one episode, so maybe it's the kind of thing you have to get into.

Rugrats, Virg? Lol. I used to love that show when I was younger. My little sister always told me I was like Angelica. :p

*coughs*

I also forgot to mention Invader Zim. I've seen half an episode, but I love it!

Seconding (thirding? fourthing? n-ing?) MEGAS XLR, Zim, and Dexter's Lab.

I also cannot give enough praise to Magic School Bus. Sure, it was an edutainment show, but it was well-written, witty, had a good sense of adventure, and it had a kickass theme song. I also loved the books and games to death, so there's that.

...I also want to watch Project Geeker at some point. ;_;

Oh God, Magic School Bus was one of my favorites too. I remember watching that show a lot and still not knowing what the hell was going on in it. I still get confused thinking about the friction episode...

Keesha was always my favorite. I forget why.

I never watched Magic School Bus except for in class when I was younger. I am now wishing I did now that people are talking about it :3