• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Exploud rating?

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Exploud @ Something generic or a Power Herb
Brave Nature
Secret Power
Bite
Rock Slide
Overheat

EVs roughly 100 Attack and 204 in both defenses.
This set is basically reliant upon drawing out a steel type or Secret Power paralyzing... Overheat will leave a nice dent at the least in anything that tries to out defense its attacks. Overheat's main purpose is an anti-steel since they'll likely be trying to wall it. Especially Bronzong and Skarmory since Exploud can potentially have Earthquake. While it may not leave much of a dent in Bronzong, it will always do at least 50% to even the bulkiest Steelix which is considerably more than Earthquake is likely to do..

I do like it. If you're going for damage, I might go with a Choice Band. Sure, it limits you to one move, but hey. It'll provide some serious fire power. Especially to moves like Overheat which lower your Sp. Attack everytime you use it.

Hmmm. The EVs...

I don't know what to say, really.

It's uses are good choices, and I like that you're preparing for Skarm/Bliss.

I'd also go for Crunch over Bite, but that's just me.

Rock Slide's okay. You could trade it in for Stone Edge. With the EVs in defense like that, you could afford to miss once before landing the hit.

Yeah, it looks fine. I have a power-lust, so my choices might not be the best, but I'd definitely consider Stone Edge.

I'm going to say this, Fire Blast should do more damage over two turns if Overheat is used twice, I'd favor it over Overheat.

Random Stat Calculation:

Fire Blast: Neutral Nature with an IV of 0 in Special Attack against a Steelix, 31 IV in Special Defense, 136 EVs S. Def: 46.33% - 54.24%.
Flamethrower: Neutral Nature with an IV of 0 in Special Attack against a Steelix, 31 IV in Special Defense, 136 EVs S. Def: 36.72% - 43.22%
Overheat (1st time): Neutral Nature with an IV of 0 in Special Attack against a Steelix, 31 IV in Special Defense, 136 EVs S. Def: 53.67% - 63.28%
Overheat (2nd time): Neutral Nature with an IV of 0 in Special Attack against a Steelix, 31 IV in Special Defense, 136 EVs S. Def: 27.40% - 32.20%

Fire Blast does do more overall damage, but I see what you're thinking in using Overheat as a one off attack. Fire Blast does do more damage over two turns to a Steelix.

More Random stat calculations:

Fire Blast: Neutral Nature with an IV of 0 in Special Attack against a Bronzong, 31 IV in Special Defense, 92 EVs S. Def: 33.73% - 39.64%.
Flamethrower: Neutral Nature with an IV of 0 in Special Attack against a Bronzong, 31 IV in Special Defense, 92 EVs S. Def: 26.92% - 31.66%.
Overheat (1st time): Neutral Nature with an IV of 0 in Special Attack against a Bronzong, 31 IV in Special Defense, 92 EVs S. Def 39.05% - 45.86%.
Overheat (2nd time): Neutral Nature with an IV of 0 in Special Attack against a Bronzong, 31 IV in Special Defense, 92 EVs S. Def 20.12% - 23.67%.

Same Principle with Bronzong. I'm leaning towards Fire Blast personally. Against Steelix, I have a chance of 2 hit KOing, unlike Overheat.

Overheat is fine, but personally, I like Fire Blast better.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
If I give it the Power Herb, I'd be able to use Overheat twice, with slightly more accuracy than Fire Blast... but again that's only twice. I like the idea of Fire Blast too, though. It leaves me open for a held item, possibly a chople berry for its only weakness.. I'll probably try both.

The state of mind I was in when I thought of overheat, an alternative fire attack didn't even occur to me XD
I was searching for any non-fire pokemon that could learn it as a surprise attack.

Body slam hits a tad harder with same chance to paralyze, might as well go for that. Only other things I can think of are Howl and Crunch.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I was picking Bite for the flinch, and Rock Slide for the same reason.. Like I said, the set is pretty reliant upon Flinch and Paralysis XD
Also, I looked for body slam before I wrote Secret Power... I couldn't find how to teach it, unless it's the Emerald Move tutors [which I don't have access to]

Dropping Rock Slide for howl is a possibility too, I suppose XD
It won't be hitting very hard as is, but again, with the paralysis that could be possible.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
As far as I know you can get Body Slam onto Exploud with the Fire Red/Leaf Green move tutors, if you have access to those.

Hmm after some research im finding it under the R/S dex on serebii but not on D/P wierd :S well it used to be a FR/LG tutor skill so nvm that then. Other options I found where the elemental fangs, Supersonic and Roar.