• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

expectations vs reality: ultra sun/moon

This was initially a quasi-rant about sun and moon that had been bubbling away for quite some time now. However, I have decided to be all happy-smiley and instead, let's hope the second outing in Alola is the game we really really wanted sun and moon to be!

1. Shorter/Faster cut scenes.
I know very few players that do not play the majority of the games with the text speed notched up to fast. This needs to be applied to cut scenes, moreover, we had so many in sun and moon, at times the game was painfully linear to the point of just walking between cut scenes. It made the game painfully slow and the storyline feel too forced.

2. Better Rival
Hau is great, such a wonderfully great character that I could never give a crap about beating! I have named many a rival in-game after real world friends/rivals, but hau is such a joke, he's almost to barry stages of "oh my god, are you being serious". I don't want every game to give me a villainous rival, or an absolute douchebag, but just someone that it feels good to smash. Someone that appears with the upper-hand like a pokémon from the next island, or that can mega-evolve or just something fun right from stage 1, even potentially beiong dynamic o your team even more than just by starter, even potentially by level etc. Ahhh... Too many fun options....

3. Updated Alola Pokedex
There will be more rotom features, this is a fact.
How can i say this in the nicest way. I hate rotom-dex... I hate it more than any pokedex, it's the biggest waste of the touch screen since gen 4 decided we wanted the poketch to be a small lcd screen, and I'd take the poketch any day over that stupid smiling face... oh yeah pleasant... but younger fans especially love it, and there's like a million bits of merchandise, so it's here to stay, oh boy, maybe we can even battle with one... that somehow gets more powerful the more you fill it up?
Onto more important details. We've been told we're getting more alola forms. This is excellent news! For one, we didn't get anywhere near enough alola forms for enough pokémon, so I'm taking a little look at the pokédex and choosing random pokémon I think should stay in the dex but get their own new forms.
Flygon. Denied a mega, in as a huge tease.
Shellos/Gastrodon. Missed opportunity or purposely in there... Was sun/moon even finished?
Zubat/Golbat/Crobat. We need tropical zubat
Braviary/Mandibuzz. I want new types for both, kinda see mandibuzz electric
Lumineon. C'mon let's give it some love!
Cloyster
Masquerain
Sudowoodo
Krookodile
Probopass

Ok those are just pokemon already in alola I'm intersted in seeing given some new life. I'm not going to list all the old pokemonn not in the games right now as that'd be a long list especially as I am all for giving every old pokemon from gens 1-6 alola forms.

4. Necrozma stuff minimal/conditional in battle

Ok what's with these extra arms and bits of armour? No just no. Expectation: Over the top plot device but suprise this can make nebby evil, yay! Quick! Catch it protagonist!

As for these weird fusions, lets hope they don't squiff the stats too much to make them boring, or acessible in battle akin to mega stones.

5. Better "Trials"

Good idea, replace the gym "puzzles" with literal trials of skill... Bad implication.... Every trial... Ugh they sucked, barely any of them seemed interesting, at all... I just.... I..... Dammit... They sucked! We've had harder gyms to navigate than any trial, they were just predictable and dumb. I want to see some fun trials, with good mechanics, maybe even a pokémon surfing race finally =)

So what do you want to see in US/UM

I love Sun and Moon, but what I would like to see is that they make the game harder.

I played through all of Moon without watching any Lets Plays, or use the internet to help me, and I still demolished everything!

I see people on YouTube say that Totem Wishiwashi and Lurantis were tough battles, but I didn't have any difficulty with them at all! The only battles that I thought were tough were Totem Mimikyu and Professor Kukui.

Honestly, if I was doing a Nuzlocke on my first run-through, I would've won! None of my Pokemon fainted, and I didn't use the EXP Share, or buy any Potions!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Oh I could go on forever...

First of all, reality: They ain't changing shit. They'll just add a few things and leave the rest as it is.

What they should do though:

- I don't mind the cutscenes, hell this game actually made me care about its story for a change, so they can keep those. The only thing I'd change in them is the player character's permanent :) face ruining literally every single cutscene it appears in. Seriously, even if the expression was more like a neutral pokerface it would have been an improvement. This alone shows no-one bothered watching any of these cutscenes before they released this game because that shit would have been snapped up fast if they had.

- Improve the Totem Pokemon battles. It wasn't an exaggeration to say that all of them sucked ass, for either being utterly boring or an irritating pain - or both. Not really helped by the fact that status moves and stat-dropping moves universally ruin all of them (yay Growl is a good move now) so once you've beaten one of them you've pretty much beaten them all, especially since they initially are only good at preying on the fact that your moves and stats suck at the start of the game, and then drop off to pointlessness horribly once you've gotten to the mid-game and beyond. I don't know what you can really do with this since I feel this sort of "boss battle" doesn't work in a Pokemon game at all, but I still hope do something even if it's just removing them all from the game (they won't.)

- The last quarter of the game - and everything beyond it - is the worst I've ever seen Pokemon's main series provide. Poni Island feels like an empty rushjob to hit a deadline, and for a game that started out quite strongly (except for the above) it was a tremendous let-down to receive an empty, small island with a pathetically easy trial as the payoff. Even the whole scene with Lusamine and the Elite Four wasn't enough to make up for it since you have to go back to this island right after anyway, and it's pretty obvious Red and Blue only came back to try and hide the fact that the Battle Tree is by far the worst iteration of the whole "Battle Tower" thing since the idea started back in Gen III. Combined with how utterly dreadful it was to make a competitive team from scratch with these games until Bank was allowed and, yeah this outright ruined Sun/Moon for me to the point that by the time I'd finished the team and Bank had arrived, I never wanted anything more to do with these games again, and I've barely touched them since.

Tl;dr I didn't like Sun/Moon and I won't like Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon either since they'll be the same. Still buying them though because I like torturing myself.

I really, really want Ultra Sun/Moon to be similar to BW2 as a direct sequel to Sun and Moon with a time jump of like 3 years. Let's see the progression of Alola' s league and it's characters, Hau as a gym leader, Gladion as head of a reformed Aether Foundation, trial captains and your not Guzma as gym leaders or even elite four, and the player character as the Champion. Let's Lilie come back and play a role in events with Necrozma and the Ultra Space. Possibly a new evil team centered around an obsession with Ultra Space *cough* Cyrus *cough* Sinnoh Remake *cough*. A after game either in another region (Kanto or Sinnoh please) or a delta episode type deal involving event legendaries or ultra beasts or Zygarde, with the inclusion of island trials. Also bring back mega evolution, it was basically ignored this time.

New Features:

• Trials that have more than just a totem Pokemon, but a battle with the captain.
  • New Alolan forms of more than Kanto Pokemon
  • New Mega Evolutions
  • Battles with familiar faces outside of battle tree (to name a few, Red, Blue, Cynthia, Steven, Wally, Maxie and Archie, Corless, N, Cheren/Bianca, Gym Leaders and Elite Four from other generations, Iris, Lance, Silver, Other protagonists, Trevor)
  • Travel to Ultra Space
  • Memory Link to Sun and Moon

When I finished my most recent play through of sun, i realised gladion's speech about his father was the real hint for ultra sun and moon.

Expectation: the main antagonist will be Lusamine's husband, we are in the world he went to, hense the different alola pokedex, different people from different regions settled on this alola or it has a completely different ecosystem, for example the snowy route with vulpix is now warm so it stayed fire type, but due to higher rates of predatory bird pokemon metapod evolved to look like coconuts :p

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
You do realize that Gladion's father/Lusamine's husband is Mohn, the brain-fucked dude what lives in Poke-Pelago, right? << Of course, he has no memory of who he is or that he even has a family, but that shoots this idea down pretty quickly.

damn, i had no idea, gladion just said his father didn't come out. Maybe mohn is brainfucked because he's the mohn from the ultra sun/moon reality switched with his alternate reality counterpart... shows how much attention i paid to their family tree, damn =(

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Mohn is probably brainfucked because falling into Ultra Space has the unfortunate side effect of being exposed to a metric frellton of Nihilego, and those are kind of known for completely screwing with one's brain. Considering he's been gone for two years or just about, that no one knows how long he's been in there and just what sort of knock-on effects do Nihilego toxins (and whatever 'possession' capability they seem to have) have on a human mind after prolonged exposure to a lot of it... I suspect that just fried his neural pathways.

But yeah, I doubt US/UM will have anything to do with Su/Mo's plot. They're just an alternate universe take on the Alola story and they'd have somewhat of a more major focus on Necrozma (which I am quite curious about). Beyond that it's literally anybody's guess.