• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Eviolite Magmar

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I know I've banged on about people using Eviolite on stupid stuff, but after seeing Sejun Park use this thing and actually make it work on top of getting the event Magmar from GAME yesterday, I figured I'd give it a shot myself. The only difference being that unlike his set, I don't have Follow Me from XD available to me.

This set could work for either VGC or Singles I suppose, but hey whatever, here it is:

Magmar @ Eviolite
Flame Body/Vital Spirit
Bold/Modest
252 HP/252 Def/6 Speed

- Overheat
- Power Swap
- Will-O-Wisp
- ????

The fourth move is missing purely because I'm not really sure what to put there. Low Sweep to speed-drop stuff switching in is so far the only thing I could really think of, but if I already knew what to put there I wouldn't have made this topic. The set is designed to cripple the offensive stats of anything switching in while still doing a decent amount of damage to anything particularly frail that doesn't resist Fire. Overheat drops Magmar's Sp.Atk upon use, and Power Swap can then be used to give the opponent your crippled Sp.Atk stat while restoring your own for more Overheat fun. Will-O-Wisp is obvious, needs no explanation at all. As for the EVs, Magmar's Sp.Def is pretty good while its Defense is atrocious, so the EVs are pumped into that so that Eviolite can boost both defenses to decent levels. The ability I'm still a bit lost on as well, since Flame Body can hax a burn against physical attackers while Vital Spirit basically screws Breloom and friends and leaves them vulnerable to eating Overheat.

Well, since you're already teaching Magmar Will-O-Wisp, I think you could be better off with Vital Spirit for its ability since you'll still have a way to cripple your opponents by burning them while at the same time keep Magmar protected from moves like Spore and Hypnosis. As for a fourth move, I can think of three possibilities:
  1. Flame Charge- Magmar's Physical attack may be lacking, but this could still be useful due to the STAB & added Speed boost so that, even if an opponent is switching out, you can still increase your speed so you can pull off moves like Will-O-Wisp or Power Swap before they can even try to take you out
  2. Psychic- It could be a good alternative attack you could use to weaken your opponent's Special Defense before striking them with Overheat
  3. Toxic/Smog- I think it would help to teach Magmar another status condition move in case Magmar is ever stuck facing another Fire type or an opponent that can't get burned. While Toxic would normally be the better choice since it has a 100% chance of poisoning your opponent, I though Smog could be a good alternative due to the fact that Magmar has two status moves already and it has a 40% chance of poisoning your opponent (whereas more powerful moves like Flamethrower or Thunderpunch only have a 10% of afflicting a status condition)

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I think that rather than balancing Magmar's defenses, going for full special bulk alongside power swapping the sharp special attack drop could work better in its favor. You have Will-o-Wisp to cut physical attacker power down, but I ultimately think switching away from a physical attacker would be the best bet for Magmar.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the balanced defenses, Counter could easily fit in the final attacking slot and would give you what I would consider a perfect answer to both kinds of attackers Magmar would face. Cripple Special attackers and outright kill physical ones. The only thing holding it back is longevity and possibly having its stats stretched too thin.

EDIT

Power swap is illegal with counter and counter is unavailable to you anyway, so scratch that entire second half of my post above P:
Barrier is not, however Overheat would remain your only means of attack in that case

Last edited:
Clear Smog is an option as well against defensive boosters that might take advantage of Magmar. I also agree with Mr. Munchlax above, Vital Spirit over Flame Body as well as the toxic option for the last slot. Magmar is an interesting variant on the usually dull eviolite picks :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.