• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Every Journey Begins with the First Step

"Hey wait up!" hollered Mike and started chasing after Grey down the road with Charmeleon and Pidgeotto by his side. The trees were drifting past him as he darted into unknown terrain. Sometimes you just need to let loose your energy and run! he thought. He felt alive. He felt free, and it was great!

Pretty soon Grey slowed to a jog, and then eventually to a walk. Mike was getting tired, so the walking was a welcomed change to the situation. He was panting and his breath was on fire, but it wasn't unpleasant at all. Still, he wished he had bit better stamina so he didn't have to pay such a high price for a little run. He looked down at Charmeleon and beamed at it. It answered with a "Char!" and then ran ahead again, obviously still full of energy. Mike thought of telling it to stay within eyesight, but as it was getting darker, it was also becoming increasingly easy to spot the tailflame from a distance.

Mike took a few extra long steps to catch up to Grey and then drew in a big breath.
"Aaaah! Life is good, ain't it, Grey?" he said, not really expecting an answer, but rather just enjoying the moment. He was refreshed again, completely freed from the problems of the very challenging day: He was no longer alone, he wasn't lost and above all, his Pokémon were happy and healthy. It didn't really matter that he hadn't gotten the badge at the gym. He knew he'd get it eventually, so he didn't let it bother him.

Fairly soon the sun had set and the two trainers were coming up on victory road, which headed off to the east. Mike pulled out a flashlight which he kept in his bag, and turned it on. He shone the yellow cone of light on the road in front of him. It was still fairly light outside, so the flashlight didn't have a full effect, but it did help a bit; besides, it added to the adventurous feeling of being back on the road.

Whatever light was still left, soon faded as well leaving them under a starry sky. They were walking across a large grassy field now so the view of the heavens was unobstructed. Mike tilted his head back and traced his finger across the stars, connecting the dots between the star signs. First, he spotted Pikachu, then he traced the many stars of the Onix sign.

Mike yawned and let his thoughts drift off. He thought of all the people who had passed where they were now walking, under those same stars, and how they all were heading down victory road to achieve their dreams. Even if Mike and Grey weren't there for the purpose of competing in the Indigo League Championships, he couldn't help but feel he too was going there to face off with destiny, even if it was just himself he would be facing there.

Mike looked over at Grey. He still seemed a bit worn out, although much less than before. Of course, by now Mike was kind of worn out too. He yawned again, this time also spreading it to Charmeleon who no longer was running around and playing, but gently following it's trainer. Pidgeotto had allready gone inside it's Pokéball.

"You know, it's getting kind of late; and we're going to have a hard time finding our way around here now that it's night-time..." started Mike, "Maybe we should set up camp for tonight. And besides.."
Mike's stomach grumbled. He laughed awkwardly and then continued:
"Besides, I'm kind of hungry, heh heh." Mike waited patiently for Grey's answer, yet again resuming his star-gazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Mike spoke, Grey had to tear his transfixed eyes from the infinitely blue sky. Out from the blanket of the city, the stars winked and glittered freely from their routine positions.

"Mmm-hmm..." he murmured at first, his hands loosely stuck inside his jacket pocket. "Alrig--ack!"

Grey yelped and toppled to the ground, holding his nose and squinting up at what had caused injure to his face. A tree. Lucky thing it was dark, or Mike might've thought his friend had caught fever from the color that shone on his face.

"Erm...yeah, camp is a good idea." he mumbled, his voice slightly odd as Grey held his aching nose. He yawned a bit and lifted Nezi (who had, once they were done running, fallen asleep on his hat) from his head and onto the ground.

He moved off to the side of the dirt road, none too keen on resting on top of a wayward stone, and pulled his sleeping bag off the top of his shoulder pack. The bulky green thing nearly knocked him over, and only by dropping it heavily on the grass did he prevent collapsing.

He tried to explain to Nezi how to look for good campfire materials, and gave up when the Rattata brought back a twig, smaller than Grey's pinky finger.

"Good job...set it over there." he said reassuringly, patting him on the head. Dismissing his previous idea of watching Nezi fetch wood, and replacing it with a better (in his opinion) one, he turned to Mike. "I'm going to search around for firewood. Do you want to come, or do you think one of us should stay here?" he asked.

C'mon, if you do what you're thinking about doing, then you'll take long enough to make him suspicious anyways his wise-part chided him.

"And..well...I might try to find a Pokemon or two while I'm looking. Not going out of the way or anything...." he further explained, sounding as if he expected to get in trouble for the suggestion.

Nezi murmured "Rat tatarat tat..." in the exact same voice, making Grey's mouth twitch upwards anyways. The Pokemon seemed to delight from destroying uncomfortable moods, which was fine by him. He looked towards a grove of trees about twenty yards off, thinking of how quickly he'd be able to find both dead wood and another addition to his Pokedex there.

Grey too felt both alleviated and relaxed from his breakneck run, not knowing what had come over himself but delighting in it all the same. He might've had his own moments of joy by himself, but they had been less frequent as he grew older. As he grew older and more lonely.

The trainer thanked the mysterious contributor to his new life as he rummaged through his pack and tugged out a compact flashlight, and flicked it to life with his thumb. In a most greedy way, the circular beam of light devoured the darkness, though the unseen areas outside of the stream seemed even darker in contrast. He played it up into the nearest tree's branches, trying not to show how spooked he was by the haunty shadows that greeted his eyes. He waited for Mike's decision, explaining to Nezi why he needed to remain in his Pokeball unless needed.

"...and if you get lost it'd take forever and a day to find you," he told the Rattata, making a sweeping gesture at the narrow but long stretch of wilderness that loomed on both sides of the destiny-riddled road.

I bet I'll remember this very moment when I'm here again...ready to take on the Elite Four he thought, both shaky and proud of that thought. And I wonder where Mike'll be then...he...won't be able to come with me everywhere...[/i] this last thought hit hard, and loneliness glazed his eyes for a minute. Then he forced his head back up at the sky, which would always be there. And so would his Pokemon, and that was a big difference.

[OOC- I see you have a new RP! I don't know if I'll have the time to keep active in both of them, but I might join the other one as well if I'm not too busy ;)]

BIC-
Mike sat down on the ground. He removed his backpack and started ruffling around
"Err... actually, you just go ahead. I'm gonna see if I can prepare some food for us, and it might be best for someone to keep check on our stuff. Not that I'd think anyone would come by and steal our things, but still" Mike said as he started empty his bag onto the grass.

He seemed quite disorganized, and this was mainly because he was. he hadn't actually "packed" for his journey in the traditional sense, rather than just stuffed too many things into his bag, and then forced it shut. He reached his hand into the bottom of his bag and then his eyes lit up.
"Aha!" he exclaimed as he grabbed a small brown paper bag, and looked inside.

He tilted the bag to show it's contents to Grey. As Grey's flashlight lit up the contents of the bag, and actually made the bag itself shine, they could see large dark green string beans, green, red and yellow bell peppers, fresh broccoli and all kinds of other vegetables that looked as if they'd been picked from a garden only a day or so ago.

"Wow. They're still really fresh." exclaimed Mike in surprise, considering he bought them three days earlier, just before entering the Viridian forest. "Anyway. I have this great recipe for soup! I got it from the Pewter City gym." Mike became more and more hungry, the more he looked at the vegetables. He generally wasn't a vegetable person, but this soup was something else. Whoever first invented it was a genius.
"You'll love it!" said Mike. and put the bag down.

Next he scanned the ground with his flashlight, sorting out all the things he had scattered around himself and eventually found a cutting board and a closed container with cream. He kept searching until he found a cooking knife. Next Mike opened another compartment in his bag and turned the bag upside down to shake it's contents out. Lots of containers with spices and herbs fell out.

Charmeleon was sitting a few feet away, eyeing Mike with an embarrassed expression on it's face. It was amazed at how Mike could actually be as good of a trainer as he was considering how poorly he did other everyday things, like pack. Mike had now picked up a can with garlic powder and was waving it at Charmeleon with a grin on his face. Charmeleon just shook it's head and laid down on it's belly.

"There we go! All done!" he said happily, and completely unaware of how idiotic he looked sitting in the middle of a pile with clothes, cooking supplies, pokéballs and an uncountable number of other things. He started pulling out vegetables from the bag, "Anyway, I'll be done with all the preparations once you come back with the firewood... we can start cooking right away! Oh, and good luck with the catch!" Mike winked at Grey and returned to the cutting board.

[OOC- Sorry for the short-ish post, but this all takes place in the timespan of a few seconds, so I can't really fill it up with too much text :p]

[OOC- I'm going to do I bit of a time skip, mostly because the process of going into the forest and looking around would be kinda' boring :p *is lazy* ;D]

BIC-

Grey whistled cheerily in the inky black that shadowed him and Reiu. The moon's liquid-like silver light didn't reach far into the dense grove of trees, but the occasional narrow shaft was encouraging. He wasn't sure why he had been uneasy in the darkness at first; it wasn't like he didn't know what was out there. Pokemon. A russling in the bushes turned out to be merely a tangled Weedle, a cracking in the branches was probably just a Pidgeotto settling down for the night.

"Won't take much more now." he informed his white Charmander, taking another two medium-sized, dry branches into his arms. Grey had wisely left Reiu's claws unoccupied; if he wanted another capture, there would be a battle. Thus, there would be a need for Reiu to fight.

Reiu scrambled over a decaying old tree trunk, and followed his trainer underneath a low-slung branch. Then, of course, a thought came to him.

"Char!? Charman...mander." he exclaimed, jabbing one claw in the direction they had come. Or was it? Out of the amusement he got from following Grey, he hadn't memorized where they had come from.

"What? Oh, c'mon Reiu, you don't think I traveled for a hobby without learning how to find my way back from places?" Grey inquired, temporarily silencing the fire lizard.

As he searched he recalled the memory of Mike's brandishing a clove of garlic with childish enthusiasm from the depths of the belongings in his bag. Gry felt like a perfectionist in comparison, seeing as he had neatly organized his shoulder pack as he filled it with supplies. He smirked to himself at the recollection of Charmeleon, looking quizically at his trainer before laying down to save himself from Mike's vegetable-rants.

"One more oughta do for tonight, okay?" he voiced back to Reiu suddenly, making the Charmander growl in surprise, then again in confirmation.

He reached down for a decent-sized break-off from a long branch, struggling with his oversized load of firewood. The pieces clunked thickly against each other, poking him with stray twigs and branch-offs. He groaned as the entire collecetion flooded from his grip, and he tossed the one piece he had saved into the pile.

"Looks like you're going to have to help me after....shhh.." he started to explain, then 'shh'ing himself mid-sentence.

He stepped wordlessly towards the sounds of a small scuffle, and then (from Reiu's point of view) leapt angrily behind a bush, yelling.

"Hey, get off of it, you greedy...." a hiss followed but was cut short in a strangled way. The blue-flamed Charmander sat skeptically to the side, watching Grey's legs sticking out of the bush.

Only a moment later he reemerged, shooting Reiu an annoyed look. "You know," he snapped, his voice strained and more angry than before, "just because you don't like me doesn't mean you can't help."

He grabbed his fallen hat off of the leafy ground haphazardly, cradling a form in one arm. He held it protectively, then scrapped almost half of the wood supply into his other hand, pinning the bundle under his armpit.

"Ge the rest and follow me," Grey wheezed, weighed down by the weight of the wood all on one side, and the lack of weight on the other.

No longer in a lackidaisical mood, he tore through the forest, showing no signs of slowing down even from the buildup of minor scratches he was collecting. Grumbling in a mixture of indignation and confusion, Reiu followed after.

As he skidded into the camp, Grey released the pile of wood beside his own mushy-looking sleeping bag. "Sorry for the mess Mike..." he muttered distractedly, now unclipping his own pack and rummagin in it. He went momentarily silent, before a rarily-used word slipped out of his mouth. "Damnit..."

No potion...and I'm not supposed to heal...not supposed to... His gaze flitted to his companion trainer.

"I know I look a mess, but do you have a potion? Or do I need to heal?" He finally, carefully, showed what was under his mother-like protection. A beaten-looking Pidgey was presented to Mike, it's feathers all bent every which way. It cooed in feeble protest, and Grey held it close again.

iHe was exhausted now, but even as he asked the question, Grey knew the answer. "I don't evven have apotion on me! was what Mike had said in the gym.

He closed his eyes, and began the healing process. The young bird Pokemon didn't object, going under a trance-like state as Grey restored the Pidgey's health. Immediately afterwards he tugged a Pokeball off of his belt and captured it.

By now, Reiu had tossed his colection of wood, and peered over Grey's shoulder at the new Pokeball. It frowned and turned to Charmeleon, which was watching Grey with a confused expression. The entire issue had happened way too fast, and now Grey laughed at the collection of faces. I even asked Mike a question and then went ahead and answered it he laughed to himself.

"S--sorry Mike. Just, this Pidgey...w...was being attacked by an Ekans...there aren't even Ekans around here....and...it was in trouble..." he huffed out, panting from the run.

[OOC- Sorreh, I had meh muzzer yelling at me to eat, so the entire post is 'WTF?' standard :-\ Gomenasai!(what I THINK is how you spell 'I'm very sorry' in Japanese....)]

[OOC- It wasn't "WTF"-ish at all, but boy, that last line of yours; "and...it was in trouble...", was just screaming at me to start saying team rocket's motto :p Should we include them sometime in the future, btw? It would be fun to see a few familiar faces]

BIC-
Mike was surprised to see Grey come back all scratched up, and when he asked for a potion, Mike was about to spring to his feet, ready to battle whatever evils, lurking in the dark, had managed to hurt Grey and his Pokémon. As Grey revealed a Pidgey however, Mike realized that Grey had just been trying to help another Pokémon.

Mike stood up from his place beside the now quite tasty looking soup and brushed himself off. He was about to tell Grey that he didn't have a potion, but Grey had allready discarded this option and started healing the Pidgey. There was no point in trying to stop him. If Grey felt up to healing, then so be it. And it wasn't as if they had any other choice. They couldn't very well return to town at this hour.

As Grey once more made all of the Pokémon's wounds dissapear with the help of that mysterious blue flame that seemed to emanate from Grey's fingertips. The healing was rather quick, and although the Pidgey had looked rather beaten up, it was evident that it hadn't been in too much trouble. Grey for example, did not faint this time.

Within seconds of it's recovery, Grey had caught the little bird.
"Cool, nice catch, Grey!" said Mike, cheerfully congratulating Grey. "You know, Pidgeys are some of the best Pokémon you can catch! Right now it might not seem like much, but it'll be a great help to you. And you can't even imagine what a help it'll be when it eventually evolves into a Pidgeot" Mike pictured his Pidgeotto as fully evolved. It would be magnificent! And it would be big enough to carry him with it, eliminating a lot of strenuous tasks, like climbing mountains and such.

After Grey and Mike had settled down a bit, Mike beckoned for Charmeleon to come over.
"Hey, buddy. Be a pal and get the firewood. And if you could light it, that would be great!" he said, feeling too lazy and tired to do the job himself. Charmeleon scurried away to get the wood Grey had collected. It was extra carefull to be neat and organized, as if trying to set an example for Mike. It frequently turned it's head and checked to see if Mike was paying attention. Then it neatly stacked the wood in a little heap in front of Mike and lit it with a light flamethrower attack.

The fire sparkled to life, and provided both a comfy warmth and a soothing dancing light that illuminated it's immediate surroundings. The camping site became a tiny island of color in the black night. Mike put his hands in front of the fire to warm up a bit. It was getting a slight bit cold as the sunlight now had left them for the day. Mike hunched up to keep warm.

He then looked thorugh the stuff around himself until he found a small metal rod. Mike pushed a button which released two sturdy legs from the rod. He placed the strange contraption over the fire, securing the legs with a few rocks.
"This is for holding the soup above the fire" explained Mike, "It's been a real help, since it helps out the cooking so much, and weighs pretty much nothing, so it's easy to carry."

Mike took a piece of string that was lying next to the soup pot and tied it to the pot. Then he lifted the pot over the fire and tied the other end of the string to the "soup-holder". Both of the trainers looked at the pot for a few minutes until it eventually started steaming, and then lightly bubbling. Mike took a spoon and started stirring the soup gently.

Mike looked over at Charmeleon's hungry face. It was obviously as hungry as Mike, and it wanted some food too.
"Grey, could you do me a favor and look around my stuff for some containers of Pokéblock?" he asked his new friend, while keeping up the stirring. "You can take some for your Pokémon too, of course"

Mike looked at the soup again and judged it was ready to be eaten. Grey had just finished finding the Pokéblock and had kindly poured some up for Mike's Pokémon and for his own.

Mike took the soup off of the flame and got some plates from, surprisingly enough, his bag ...and not the ground. He carefully poured some up for Grey and then for himself.
"I hope you like soup!" he said, "but then again, you can't not like this soup... Assuming I cooked it well..."

Mike got up, as Grey was sitting down, and he removed two Pokéballs from his belt.
"Come on out, you guys! Food's on!" he yelled and tossed both the Pokéballs into the air. In front of him, he saw as his Pidgeot and Squirtle materialized.
"Squirt!" greeted squirtle and ran over to the food. Pidgeotto did the same, but stayed silent.

Mike looked at Grey and then let out a big "Oh!"
"Er... right. I guess you haven't met the third addition to my team. Say hello to Squirtle!" Mike said and laughed. "I guess you could call me lucky to have all the starters, heh heh. That sort of thing just usually happens to me..." He looked towards the blue water-pokémon as it joined in the feast with Charmeleon and Bulbasaur, all of them chatting and socializing with each other.

Grey intriduced himself to Squirtle politely, then turned to Reiu, who was sitting hautily at the edge of the camp fire's cirlcle of warmth. He sighed sadly in realization that the Charmander wasn't just being
anti-social -- he had taken the injury of the Pidgey to be his fault. And I sure didn't help at all... he groaned. Before starting in on his own bowl of enticing soup, Grey took a portion of Mike's Pokéblock, thanking him in embarrassment. He had, after all, planned on simply sharing his food with his Pokémon. It hadn't really occured to him that they wouldn't care for human substances.

"I'll be right back..." he whispered to his friend before taking three small plates of multi-colored squares, balancing the bowl and plates precariously in his hands. He then walked over wordlessly to Reiu and sat down at his Charmander's side. Reiu looked at him without even a growl, then studied the Pokéblock hungrily. Grey set down all of the food in a neat, small cirlce, then released Nezi. The purple rat Pokemon tried to immediately eat out of Grey's bowl. The action didn't surprise Grey at all, and he gently sat Nezi in front of its own plate.

He hesitated for a second, then showed Nezi his new Pokeball. The Rattata cocked its head to one side, a green Pokéblock halfway out of its mouth. "This is---" he pushed the clasp open instead of throwing the ball, taking hold of the Pidgey as it appeared. "--the newest member of the team."

"Pidgey?" it cooed shyly at the two Pokemon looking at it. The tiny bird shrank into Grey's arm, obviously thinking of the trainer as its protector now. "Piii.." it it chirruped, happy wen Grey stroked its small brown head crest.

"I think I'll name you 'Sora', unless you don't like nicknames," Grey informed the Pidgey. Appearently it didn't mind, because it withdrew its head from the crook of his arm and pecked at him affectionately.

"Good then. Now eat up, I bet you're tired from trying to keep that Ekans off of you..."

I still wish I know why an Ekans was here...aren't they usually only found around Cerulean? he pondered to himself, distractedly watching his small group of Pokémon eat. Reiu would pick at one as if to see if it was edible, then toss the whole thing in its mouth at once and chew silently. Nezi nibbled at its diligently, if slowly, and Sora looked altogether shy and nervous, occasioanlly picking at one.

Grey smiled and dug into his own soup, gasping and sputtering as the hot combination burned his tongue. He more wisely blew on his next bite to cool it, and coughed again, this time in delighted surprsie.

"It tasted great, Mike!" he exclaimed, almost unable to resist the urge top shovel in more and deal with a burnt tongue.

As he ate he marveled at how, just a week or two ago, he had been caring for others' Pokémon, not even considering the honor of owning his own. Now, here he was, on an abandnoned road with another boy, with three Pokemon of his own. It felt magnificent! He cuddled Nezi as it sat back, a firm sign that it was done eating.

"When ya'll are done, go meet Mike's Pokemon. It doesn't do well to travel together if you hardly know each other, right?" he told them, laughing wearily as Nezi toppled head-over-heels towards Mike's Pidgeotto in its race to greet everyone.

[OOC- I wouldn't mind a TR encounter ^_^ Gives Grey an actual battle encounter, since he's been in only a few scattered Pokemon battles.~~]

[OOC- And a TR encounter wouldn't be too difficutl for a beginner trainer to handle, haha ^^]

BIC-
Even if the soup was extremely hot, Mike was gobbling up the soup like no tomorrow. It really was great. The experience was enhanced by the fact that the recipe supposedly came from one of Pewter's best gym-leaders. Somehow, it tasted better just because of that.
"So anyway, you said that Pidgey was attacked by an Ekans? That's kind of peculiar, considering where we are... this isn't really snake country..." said Mike in between the spoonfulls of soup. Maybe it was abandoned or something... thought Mike and looked into his soon empty bowl.

Grey's Pokémon were now inching up on Mike's, who seemed to be largely ignoring them (apart from Charmeleon, who took somewhat of an intrest to Reiu).
"Guys! Be a little social!" yelled Mike to his Pokémon. At this, all except Squirtle turned away from the food. It was still having a bit of trouble with adjusting to Mike as a trainer. Mike had found it abandoned at Mount Moon, and it hadn't quite warmed up to him yet. The Squirtle was afraid Mike might leave it, just as it's previous trainer had, so it wasn't too keen on building bonds and following orders. Mike always treated it well though, and hopefully it would soon warm up to him.

Mike could definitely identify with Grey and Reiu. He and Squirlte were going through the exact same thing, and Mike knew how difficult and irritating it could be to take care of something that didn't want to be taken care of. Of course, when Mike got his Squirtle, he had allready been training for a while, and he had other Pokémon to turn to. Grey hadn't been so lucky.

Charmeleon tugged at Squirtle's arm, acting like a big brother and steering him away from the food. Squirtle started complaining to Charmeleon, but soon stopped as it saw Charmeleon's slightly angered face and forgot about the food. Soon all the Pokémon were socialising loudly, jumping around and basically having fun. Both Reiu and Pidgeotto seemed a bit more reserved though, and simply observed the spectacle. It was as if the two pokémon were afraid to join in and let loose.

Once Mike saw the Pokémon relaxing and fending for themselves, he leaned over to Grey and said in a quiet voice:
"You don't think that Ekans you saw was left there by it's trainer, do you?" Mike didn't know why he was keeping his voice low, but it seemed appropriate in the situation. Maybe he just didn't want to spoil the fun for all the Pokémon, especially Sora, by telling them depressing things. His eyes scanned the darkness around the campsite for something; for exactly what, he didn't know.

He gazed into the fire silently, waiting for Grey's reply, but then added to the statement.
"You know, maybe in the morning, we should go and look for it. It might just be scared and lonely, you know... It wouldn't be right to leave it alone in that case."

Grey shifted his own sleepy gaze to the crackling fire as well, the hot and delicious soup sitting cozily in his stomach. Mike's thoughts were very much in sync with his own; he had been in a panic when he rescued the Pidgey, and the Ekans's own issue had slipped his mind.

"You're probably right. Sora was alone in a nest that I figure Ekans pulled down, but that might've been 'cause it was hungry." he informed Mike, his bad feelings for beating back the attacking Ekans and then just leaving it growing.

He watched Sora, chirping every now and then to Pidgeotto in a nervous and shy way. Perhaps the younger evolution looked up to it; Pidgeotto certainly impressed Grey in its gym fight. Nezi was skirting to and fro amongst all of the Pokémon, chatting loudly. Reiu for the most part kept to itself, occasionally responding to Charmeleon's talk, though less often now that it was out of the gym.

Grey smiled groggily and turned to Mike, prodding a log deeper into the flickering fire to make the flames flare up a bit. "Speaking of waiting until morning, I think I'm, for one, about ready to fall over." he remarked, rubbing his eyes.

Within the boundaries of the camp fire, where the road and grassy field was illuminated by red-tinted light, everything seemed very cozy indeed. Grey, for one, never really considered the idea that the Ekans might've belonged to a trainer that was nearby.

As he arranged his sleeping bag on a patch of grass, his mind shifted to memories again. How many nights had he slept out beneath the same constellations, his mind completely at ease as the sounds of nocturnal Pokémon filled the night? He wondered if the nights would always be this humble and filled with a peaceful air. Even as he wondered, subconsciously he knew that there would be times that he may be sleeping miserably in the middle of nowhere, drenched with rain. But no matter what, I'll have my Pokémon, so I'll be fine, he thought happily, turning to his Pokémon.

"I'm heading to bed, guys..hm..." he turned uncertainly to Mike. "...should I return them until morning, or will they be okay out of their Pokéballs?" he asked shyly.

He he had been on his own, he was willing to bed he'd keep them out, just for the company, but Mike was there, and the Ekans issue was a bit fishy as well.

[OOC- Meh posts look cruddy compared teh yours XP But Oh well, tis the RPing tha' counts ^-^]

Mike had gotten up and started shoving things back into his bag.
"Well," he answered in the process, "My Charmeleon usually stays outside it's ball with me. It likes it outside more, and I like having the company, but I usually return the others." Mike now re-zipped his bag and put it down on the ground. There was still some stuff unpacked, like the dishes which he would finish cleaning off in the morning. Mike was too tired to go searching for water to clean them in now.
"I do keep them all out at times, though..." he added, glancing up at Grey.

Mike took his sleeping bag from the ground next to his backpack and unrolled it. It looked warm and inviting. He took off his leather jacket, and shivered slightly in the somewhat cool air. He then removed all of the Pokéballs from his belt and set the unused ones, and Charmeleon's on the jacket.

"All right, guys! It's time for bed! We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow..." Mike grabbed one pokéball in each hand and stretched his arms straight out towards his Pokémon.
"Squirtle, Pidgeotto; return!" he said and recalled his first two Pokémon. Then he put the Pokéballs in the pile in his jacket and grabbed Bulbasaurs Pokéball.
"You too Bulbasaur, return!" Mike continued and recalled his green friend as well. He then put the last Pokéball in his jacket, and carefully folded his jacket over them, for protection.

"Might as well go to sleep then" laughed Mike and smiled at Grey. He removed his shoes and put them next to his jacket, before climbing into bed. At first the sleeping bag was cold and chilly, but it soon warmed up and became extremely comfortable. He put his hands behind his head as support and gazed up at the sky.

Meanwhile, Charmeleon slowly trotted over to it's trainer's side and curled up next to him.
"Good night buddy, see you in the morning." said Mike to his old friend. Charmeleon replied with a soft "Char..." before dozing off.

Next, Mike turned to Grey, who looked as tired as Mike was suddenly feeling.
"G'night Grey! Sleep tight!" he said as he returned his eyes to the stars above. He kept staring at them for about a minute before dozing off. Not being much of a dreamer, Mike was fairly knocked out and dead-looking untill morning.

After a few moments of consideration, Grey returned Nezi, who he was afraid might run off without thinking in the dead of night. He called Sora over to him, and pulled off his safari hat and jacket. His messed grey hair and black shirt were visible now, and he too shivered at the invading chill. He tugged his pack closer to him and unclasped it once more before pulling out a small, comapct blanket. It was meant for extra warmth in colder regions, but he arranged it neatly insdie his overturned hat, then set Sora inside of it. The Pidgey looked extremely comfortable, and hunkered down before fluffing its feathers to sleep.

"Here Reiu, in case you like to have something over you." he whispered quietly to the Charmander resting a few feet away. He laid his jacket over it, being careful to keep the fabric away from the tail. In return, the white Charmander stared at him before laying its head back on the ground.

Satisfied, Grey wrapped his hand around Nezi's Pokeball and pulled the sleeping bag over his shoulders and up to his chin. His eyes wandered around the camp, quiet except for the snapping and lazy crackling of the fire. Occasionally wayward embers would leap into the sky, where billions upon billions of stars littered the sky. He was able to pick out a few constellations, some of which he had made up himself. A few transparent clouds drifted silently by, though none intercepted the moon's reflected light. The white flooded the highest branches of trees, illuminating the leaves as they blew in the steady breeze. Smiling, Grey turned over onto his side and stroked Sora's feathered back. It cooed lazily, and once its breaths were long and even, he turned to Reiu.

"I know you take awhile to fall asleep too...good night, Reiu." he murmured. He barely caught a twitch of the Charmander's head before it caught itself and remained still.

Once more he pulled his sleeping bag up to his chin, tucking the cool, soft material beneath his chin and closing his eyes. He might've dreamed, but they were always lost to him in the morning; probably because he was more interested in what was happening as he awoke then what had happened in his mind as he slept.

His eyelids twitched slightly as the first, pale rays of light crept overhead, and before the sun had even gotten a third of the way out of the trees he was watching it. He remained in the dreamy, mostly-asleep status as he thought about how the branches, thick with leaves, seemed to be trying to hold onto the yellow orb. It's no use...you can't hold back something that strong... he thought lackadaisically, rubbing his face to wake himself up more.

" 'S mornin' Mike...." he slurred to his friend, clawing his way into a sitting position. He might be an early riser, but he was terrible at shaking off the paralysis of sleep. He was dimly aware that his own jacket was on top of him, and that Reiu had inched closer to him as the fire had died down. Now the fire-lizard Pokémon was almost right next to him, its bright blue eyes half-lidded at the sound of his voice.

[OOC- Just decided to get it to morning ^_^; You can do a TR encounter if you want to; I'm bad at introducing new charatcers to a scene >.>]

[OOC- I was thinking of pulling off the TR encounter a bit later, at some point where they'd come in naturally... I don't really see them as morning people anyway :p]

BIC-
Grey's voice woke Mike, who shot his eyes open. He had an amazing ability to stay alert, even when he was asleep. As soon as he realized it was Grey however, he closed his eyes again and rolled over on his side, away from the sun. He wasn't really planning on going to sleep again, he just didn't want to get up.

Pretty soon he felt the grip of his Charmeleon's claw shaking him out of bed. This was standard procedure for Mike. Otherwise he'd probably get up at noon. Of course, he was a morning person, so staying in bed would actually end up making Mike angry at himself for wasting the day. Mike imagined Charmeleon had learned this quite fast.

"Geez, could you be a bit more gentle?" he asked the red lizard.
"Char, charmeleon, char!" replied the Charmeleon. This immediately woke Mike, because yet again, he sensed more or less what Charmeleon was trying to say... It sounded somewhere along the lines of "No". Even if what Mike understood was no doubt a simple translation, it was impossible to deny that it was there. Mike started grinning and sat up in his sleeping bag.

He then wrestled his arms out of the top of the bag in a ridiculous way and unzipped the top of the bag, which he had closed tightly during the cool night. He then wrestled his torso out of the bag and stretched his arms, feeling the sunlight hit his skin. He then dragged his hands through the dewy wet grass, gently carressing it with his fingertips.

He looked at Grey, who, contrastingly to Mike, still seemed rather sleepy.
"Did you sleep well, Grey?" asked Mike, "Cause I feel pretty refreshed. It's been a few days since I saw the night sky...".

Mike stood up and stepped out of the sleeping bag, careful not to touch the wet grass with his feet until he put his shoes on. He hated walking around being wet. As soon as the shoes were on, he opened his folded up jacket and picket up his Pokéballs, carefully replacing them on his belt. Then, finally, he put on his jacket and took a deep breath.

Mike looked around. The camp site looked completely diffrent in the day light. The fire had, of course, gone out leaving an ashy residue on the ground and some burnt grass. The huge field was very green indeed and in the distance he saw lush forests almost all around him. The most majestic and eye-catching part of the scenery however, was the mountain that loomed up ahead of them.

The mountain was peaked at the top, and slightly snow covered, but around halfway to the top, a massive plateau, the Indigo Plateau, the goal of their journey appeared, serene and lushfull. It was quite some distance away, but if they hurried they might make it there in a days journey or two. Mike silently stood there, imagining himself walking down this path once more, equipped with eight badges and the skill to become the champion of the Indigo League. He glanced at Grey, and hoped that he too would be there walking down this same path next to him.

He turned back to Grey.
"Hey, dude. Get up. It's morning, enjoy it!" he smiled at his friend, and then at Reiu, who seemed to be warming up to it's trainer, all curled up next to Grey.
"Anyway, I'm heading down to get some water. There must be a stream around here... I'll be back in a second, all right?" he said and signaled for Charmeleon to join him.

[OOC- Sorry if I'm confusing... My mutha shooed me off the computer so I only did the spell check :p]

[OOC- lol, I have the same thing happen to me all the time ;) And your spelling is still probably better than mine...I always seem to be trying to hurry when I'm typing ::)]

BIC-

Grey was in a state of minor amusement; he woke up before Mike, but there was the other trainer, bounding energetically off to fetch water, while he sat there, still trying to get a grip on the day. Reiu stretched lazily before standing, and then it shocked away all of Grey's residual sleepiness by tugging playfully on the front of his shirt.

"Charman-mander!" it growled with its mouth full of his shirt, and from its emotions Grey assumed it meant something along the lines of 'come on'.

It took a moment for it to register, but as he took in the moment, Grey's smile grew larger, and he drew the Charmander into an awkward hug. He released Reiu who stumbled off and sat down uneasily next to him, apparently embarrassed at the same time it was relieved. He wasted no time in tossing back the top half of his sleeping bag; he preferred to leave it mostly unzipped so that it was more like covers. After hurriedly tugging on his shoes and jacket, he turned to Sora.

"Whatever happened to that early bird phrase?" he asked skeptically, putting his hands on his hips in mock aggravation. The Pidgey ruffled its feathers in silent reply and buried its head deeper under its wing. "No you don't," he said persistently, lifting the lightweight Pidgey out of his hat.

"Piiiigeooooo," it cooed finally, cuddling against the trainer before flapping its wings to stretch. From there it alighted precariously on his shoulder, and seemed intent to stay there.

"If this carries on, all of my Pokémon will be attached to some part of my body!" Grey informed the Pidgey, slinging his Pokéball belt through his jeans. He treaded cautiously on his sleeping bag, also none too keen to walk around in damp socks all day. He managed to wedge his feet into his boots, hopping around wildly to get his heel in; then he folded the small white blanket he had cushioned his hat with. Before he tucked it neatly back into his bag he patted the safari-like hat out and rammed it onto his head.

"Too bad that I hafta wear your nest each day, huh Sora?" he said joshingly.

A quick glance around confirmed that he had put on all of his necessary garments, and that of his stuff was packed up. Not content to wait for Mike, he piled the dishes from dinner in his arms and headed in the general direction that Mike had gone, planning to wash the dishes in the same stream Mike had raced off to locate. Reiu followed behind in a better state of mind than before, though it kept its refined attitude. If Grey was a happy, friendly, and loving trainer that truly cared about his Pokémon, then it was free to feel the way it did about him, right?

"Mike, didja find the stream?" Grey called out after they had ventured a ways from camp. His voiced echoed throughout the forest, unintentionally scattering a variety of bird Pokémon from their nests. "Opps..." he said sheepishly, waiting for an answering voice.

[OOC- Yay for lotsa RPing~ And I may even get a picture done today, which I didn't plan on~~]

[OOC- Yup, sure did a lot of it today!! And congrats on the picture ;)]

BIC-
Grey's voice rang through the forest. Mike stood up from having knelt down by the stream.
"Hey! Grey! Over here!!" yelled Mike hoping that his voice would be able to guide Grey through the woods to his position. He then turned to Charmeleon.
"Could you go and bring Grey back here, Char'?" asked Mike before turning back to the stream. The Pokémon headed off in the general direction of the camp site and Greys voice.

Mike grabbed a water canister which he had hung around his shoulder and unscrewed the cap. He then submerged the entire canister under water and turned it upright. The canister made a gulping sound as he saw the trapped air inside rise up as large air bubbles before bursting at the surface.

Mike removed the canister from the water and took a big sip. It was refreshing and tasted crisp and clean. He re-submerged the canister again to fill it up and then reattached the cap. He then put the canister around his shoulder and stood up.

That's when he saw it. On the other side of the stream was an Ekans. It was staring right at Mike and didn't move a muscle. Mike almost slipped into the stream from the surprise.
Oh wow! That must be that same Ekans from yesterday thought Mike to himself. He was standing very still, neither moving towards or away from the Pokémon. It seemed ready to run for it if anything at all unexpected or threatening happened.

Mike slowly, very slowly, reached for his belt and removed Pidgeotto's Pokéball. He kept his eyes straight at the snake opposite of him. All right... This is it... wait for it... wait for it.... OK! Let's go! thought Mike and began the motion of throwing the ball.

He stopped almost immediately, before he had managed to move too much. Something was approaching. Suddenly, out of the bushes, loudly rustling through the leaves came Charmeleon.
"Shhhh!" hissed Mike and turned back to the Ekans, only to see that it was gone.
"Huh? Where'd it go?!" exclaimed Mike and started searching the terrain desperately. "Aww.. It's gone."

Charmeleon, who didn't have a clue as to what had happened, simply looked at Mike in utter confusion.

Grey suddenly appeared as well, carrying last night's soup bowls and some other dishes.
"You will not believe what I just saw, Grey." said Mike in a defeated tone. He looked back across the river. It was gone. But they might be able to catch it if they hurried.

At first Grey could only manage to look politely curious, but one look at Charmeleon's face told him that he wasn't the only one left behind as to Mike's reaction. He turned his gaze to the same patch of grass that Mike had been focused on and looked back at the depressed-looking trainer, peering over the top of the dishes stacking in his arms.

"Well, unless you let Articuno or something get away, it can't be that bad." he pointed out. "What was it."

On the whole he wasn't entirely surprised to here of the Ekans's second debut. It didn't have anywhere to be rushing off to, did it? And if it had really been abandoned by its trainer out here (how else would it have gotten there), then the chances were that it would stick around in hopes of finding the trainer in question.

"If you want, we can leave the dishes here and try to catch up with it," he suggested, looking around as if he expected to see the large snake hanging from a wayward branch. "We're not going to find it by just standing here, especially if it doesn't want us to catch up with it."

He noticed Reiu nodding its head slightly in agreement; apparently the Charmander wanted to figure out the Ekans-mystery as well. He took a moment to set the plates by the water's edge, laughing as a Magikarp fin rippled briefly in the current before disappearing. As he relaxed a bit, he noticed that this was an ideal spot for Pokémon to refresh themselves. Not only was the current slow and peaceful, but it was delightfully cold, and seemed to be made in layers of deepness, starting out shallow and getting deep enough to appear black, before shallowing out again.

"So, how do we cross the stream?I don't see any bridge around here." he commented, leaning out over the river and peering in both direction before gesturing to Reiu and Charmeleon. "I doubt they are athlete swimmers, either," he added, trying to keep a light mood.

If the Ekans HAD been abandoned, it would certainly dampen the mood a bit. For one, Grey wished that the snake Pokémon was just exploring, and that its trainer was nearby. He looked uncertainly at Mike, definitely not willing to take the lead in this situation.

[OOC- Thanks ^_^ A sad thing that today is my last day of Fall Break. From now on I won't be on until 4:00 P.M or so over here. (It's 4:55 P.M. right now)]

[OOC- That is a shame, especially considering the time diffrence... 4pm your time is around 11pm here, but I guess we'll make the best of things; and my fall break is coming up soon too ;)]

BIC-
The more Mike thought about it, the more he realized the Ekans probably had been left there by it's trainer. It didn't seem logical for it to just be drifting around otherwise, especially since they hadn't seen any humans in the area. Mike was determined to catch it.

The only problem with catching it, which Mike hadn't really realized until Grey pointed it out, was the problem with crossing the stream. Grey was right, there wasn't a bridge nearby, and it did seem a bit too deep for the fire-types to cross.

What am I thinking? This isn't a problem! thought Mike. He had just accepted Grey's words for true, witout thinking them over. He could just return Charmeleon to it's Pokéball temporarily, while he swam across the stream. It might have been a bit unfortunate to get his clothes drenched though, but Mike didn't see a choice if he wanted to catch up with the Ekans.

"Charmeleon, return!" yelled Mike. He gripped the Pokéball tightly and recalled his companion. The Charmeleon soon flew into the ball in the form of red energy. Mike turned to Grey and winked.
"Who says we can't swim over?" he joked and turned to the stream.

Mike then took a dive into the water. His head bobbed up a few seconds later, Mike's eyes open wide in shock.
"This water is COLD!" yelled Mike, half complaining about the chilly stream and half playing with Grey, as he expected Grey to jump in soon after. Mike was shivering like a jigglypuff with stagefright. He peddled his legs in the surprisingly deep water to stay afloat, while at the same time trying to hug himself to keep warm. This didn't go too well, he realized once he found that hugging caused him to sink (which in return got him even wetter and colder).

Mike eventually got used to the water and looked up at Grey. Sadly, Grey wasn't there. Mike suddenly got very confused and looked around until he saw Grey maybe 30 yards away from him.
That's odd. The thought ran across Mike's mind for about a split second until he realized what was going on. He was stuck in a ferocious current, and the further he drifted, the stronger it seemed to get as he got into deeper and deeper water.

"Oh no! Help!!" yelled Mike at the top of his lungs, momentarily gripped by the panic of being swept away. He calmed himself down a bit and tried to think rationally.
Ok Mike, what are you going to do now? he thought to himself. He gripped two of the Pokéballs around his waist, which were now quite cold, having themselves, been chilled for quite some time.
"Bulbasaur, Squirtle! Go!" he yelled and tossed the Pokéballs.

As his Pokémon appeared, Bulbasaur on the shoreside, and Squirtle in the water, Mike began shouting commands.
"Squirlte, keep me level here!" he commanded and then turned his head towards Bulbasaur. "Bulbasaur, use your vine-whip to pull me in! Hurry!" The Pokémon acted immediately, not sparing a second. Even the sometimes disobedient Squirtle, didn't hesitate to do as it was told. If any of Mike's pokémon fully understood the dangers of a water current. it was Squirtle.

Mike felt relieved as he saw how both of his companions were doing their utmost (and succeeding gallantly) to save Mike. They were about half way to shore now, and Mike started helping out in the swimming process, even if it didn't do much for his progress through the water it was simply to strong for him to effect it now.

Suddenly, Bulbasaur cried out in surprise and dismay as it lost it's footing. It was just about to fall into the river itself, when it felt something curling around it's hind leg to pull it back to shore. As Bulbasaur turned it noticed the tail of an Ekans. Mike noticed this as well, and looked on with fascination.

The Ekans, the same Ekans that had run away from Mike in terror a few seconds ago, now was out in the open, risking it's own safety to help save Mike's life. He felt himself choking up (despite the bad situation for chocking up).

Finally, Mike got to shore. He coughed some water that he had swallowed accidentally and then drained some of the soggy stream-water from his shirt by twisting it. Once he had calmed down a bit, he turned to the Pokémon.
"Thanks Squirtle, Bulbasaur... And of course you Ekans!" he beamed at the snake.

Then, he finally turned back to Grey who was quite a bit away, but approaching at a quick pace.
"Hey. In case you didn't realize, this thing ain't too good to swim in!" he yelled to his friend. "I'll send over a vine-whip to get you over! Bulbasaur can carry you that way!" he said.

He didn't even have to tell Bulbasaur to do it. It just extended it's green vines to the other side of the river and waited for Grey to come over and hold onto them.

Grey was soon on the part of the river opposing Mike, ans sighed in relief. It was rather worrisome to have no Pokémon that could help out in the situation. Sora nd Nezi were too small, and Reiu wasn't exactly water-compatible.

"Just for a little bit, but come in, guys." he told his ragtag band of Pokémon, returning them each in succession; the red beams of light surrounded their forms one by one before transferring them into energy to store inside the red and white balls. He shrank the metallic orbs and clasped them to his belt securely before taking a cautious hold on the Bulbasaur's awaiting vines. He felt no fear as they wrapped around him a few times for safety before drawing him towards the opposite river bank, but it was always better safe then sorry.

Once his boots, and the weight they supported in turn, were firmly upon the grass a few feet away from the bank's edge, Grey hunkered down slowly, keeping his hands on Bulbasaur's vines as if he would topple back headfirst into the water if he let go. He kept his face turned carefully away from the Ekans; it had saved Mike, but from its previous actions it clearly wasn't a great socializer. He saw future conflicts with it and Sora, but what lied ahead did so with an unchanging defiance. As it was, he inched a bit closer away from the rather loose clogs of grass that skirted around the bank, and frowned at Mike.

"Should I try to get rid of the water and chill? You could catch a cold," he said immediately, not even slightly aware of how weird it was of him not to comment jokingly on Mike's incident.

He pivoted on the balls of his feet and squinted up the river, trying to make out the abandoned dishes that lay there. "Well, we know how to find camp again anyways..." he informed himself matter-of-factly with a sigh. Then, to Mike again, he commented, "I suppose I'll leave my group in their balls for awi...awh..."

His eyes had drifted casually up to the tree towering grandly over them; more specifically at the higher branches.

"Hey, Mike..." he whispered, his voice catching and becoming hoarse. "...are, um, Mankey usually hostile?"

He pointed subtly to the leafy coverage above their head, where over a dozen malicious eyes danced mischievously at the group of trainers and Pokémon. The pack of white and brown-furred bodies were huddled together, each striving for a place to get closer to Mike and Grey. Grey had a rather depressing feeling that they weren't going to give them fruitcake and a friendly "welcome to the neighborhood".

His hand flicked to his belt, ready to draw and throw in an instant, with the frothing, roaring current and insistant swishing of wind dancing throw leaves filling his ears. As much as I would love to stick around and catch one of you for my Pokédex, I gotta admit that we're just a teensy bit surrounded he thought skeptically, noting another pack of six or seven leering at him from the second-closest tree.

A wonderfully, gloriously poor condition to make friends with an elusive Ekans under, and it didn't help that Mike was shivering in an unhealthy state from the river. Think! Geez...the key to beating a Mankey mob..funny wording...god, focus!...the key to it...I read it somewhere, I remember, why can't I think of it? It's....you hafta defeat the one that's...what? Grey's mind was a clutter of random and relatively useless ideas that were helping the solution elude him; he had pored over that information along with a multitude of other things, after all, but he knew it was an easy-enough answer. The lightbulb in his head popped on without warning, as most important things usually did.Wait, of course!

Without tilting or moving his head, Grey hissed out at Mike, "We need to find their leader and beat it, then maybe we can run out of here before they regroup...a Mankey leader is usually the one that gives out all of the orders." he explained. "Watch which one stays back and shouts a lot, okay?"

With that, and with trust that Mike would know what to do, he quickly threw his hat off of his head and lunged off to the left. It seemed brave enough to himself until the flitting and cries of Mankey overcame the river's sounds, like some evil monster in a bad dream. He held on tightly to one of Bulbasaur's vines and, with every intention of apologizing to the bulb Pokémon once they were out of this, leaped off the river bank.

He was submerged almost completely in icy cold water that sucked the breath from his lungs and gave every attempt at forcing him to relinquish his grip on the one vine that held him to the bank. His head and upper torso dangled precariously out of the fast flowing river, both hands entwined tightly around the thick green vine. If his hat had been on his head, it would've been lost in the swirling water.

"D-d-don't leggo..." he groaned to the Bulbasaur, quite aware that it couldn't hear him. He just prayed that Mike would effectively rescue him and them from this situation. Some good I am...a book and a decoy... he thought defeatedly, starting to shudder as his fingers turned a delicate shade of blue from the spreading cold.

[OOC- *cough*This post sucks arse *cough* :-[ ]

"Grey?! What are you doing? I can't do this by myself!" cried Mike in panic over seeing Grey go into the river.
Is he chickening out?! Or is this part of some plan? thought Mike. He realized that if he was going to win this thing, he didn't have time to ponder about things. He had to act quickly.

He felt a cold chill go down his spine. This was going to be tough. Especially considering he had planned to use razor leaf against the mankey, but since Bulbasaur was occupied with Grey, he couldn't use it.

Luckily, the Mankey were now slightly distracted because of Grey's actions. He therefore had time to quickly come up with a contingency plan.
What do I do now? he asked himself. He did what he always did when he was stumped. He picked Charmeleon's pokeball and threw it. It was his life-line when things got tough. Most things didn't like being burned, and he knew he could always count on Charmeleon to do it's best.

The red fire-breather quickly materialized. As it saw the situation, it snorted flames to show off it's power; even if it was nothing compared to the massive amount of Mankey sitting around them. It might frighten them slightly. They might even get scared enough to run away. thought Mike. This obviously wasn't going to happen since they were outnumbered by so many, but he still hoped it would.

The Mankey just now realized that Mike ad called out Charmeleon, and they didn't look too happy about it. They realized that this was going to turn into a battle, but they also realized that the trainer with the Charmeleon had attempted to pull off a sneak attack on them.

They turned towards Mike, now completely uninterested in Grey. Their eyes pierced through Mike and then it started. They all lunged at him, simultaneously.
"Charmeleon, Flamethrower! NOW!" yelled Mike and threw his hand in the direction of the Mankey. The flames roared into the approaching mass of Pokémon, but the attack didn't seem to help. The Mankey were attacking from all angles.

As they neared Mike and Charmeleon, the Mankey began throwing punches around wildly. Charmeleon dodged them as best it could. First it ducked, then went left, right and then down again. Suddenly one of the punches hit. The Mankey screeched in excitement and thereafter landed one punch after another, having allready knocked Charmeleon out of rhythm.

Mike saw what was happening. This was bad. He threw himself in front of the Mankey, knowing that he'd get beat up, but also realizing that if he didn't, Charmeleon might be even worse off.
The punches shifted focus, from Charmeleon to Mike, who quickly got overpowered.

The situation was getting out of control. There were several bystanders, such as Bulbasaur and the mysterious Ekans, who Mike feared were about to get caught in the cross-fire.
"Bulbasaur!" yelled Mike through the turmoil, hoping his voice would overpower the Mankey enough to be heard by his Pokémon.
"Bulbasaur, get to the other side of the river! Use your vine-whip to jump!" As Mike commanded the Pokémon it immediately acted; doing as it was told. It jumped over the stream with one whip, while maintaining a grip on Grey with the other. This wasn't easy, but BUlbasaur managed to get over the water and landed safely on the other side.
The Ekans had allready understood the danger of the situation and had dissapeared.

Suddenly, Charmeleon sprang back to rescue Mike, it's claws ripping frantically at the Mankey to get them away from it's trainer. It's tail lit up in a forcefull blaze. Mike had seen this before, and it was always at times when Charmeleon was in battle for all it was worth.

Suddenly, Charmeleon got past the Mankey and grabbed Mike's arm. It pulled him closer and then, with all of it's force, shoved him into the water. As he fell, Mike grabbed Charmeleon's pokéball and recalled his friend, just as the Mankey were regrouping to continue the beating.

Then, as Charmeleon was returning, a Mankey sprang out of the brown-white furry mass on the shore and planted itself on Mike's face. He managed to throw it off, just as he felt Bulbasaur's vine-whip grab him. With all his effort, he managed to pull himself to shore with Bulbasaur's help, fighting the fierce current.

During the "battle", Mike had been too pumped with adrenaline to notice how much he had gotten beat up. Once he got to shore and calmed down a bit, he simply said: "Ow." before collapsing on the ground; still conscious, but in no condition to move.

[The post got kinda long, but I had fun writing it so... whatever. Didn't beat the leader though :p]

Grey clung half-heartedly to the vine by the time Bulbasaur received commands from Mike. He didn't hear me, so that means all I did was run away! he thought bitterly with a shame that sliced cruelly threw the cold racking his body. He cried out hoarsely a bit as he lurched, one hand coming loose from Bulbasaur's vine; luckily it acted instinctively, wrapping its vine securely around his remaining wrist. As he was reeled in to shore, the trainer went into shocked silence momentarily as he caught sight of one of the assaulting Mankey floundering pathetically in the current. It would surely be dragged under if it couldn't swim, and Grey tugged against the vine for a split second and caught the waterlogged tail in a deathgrip with his unbound hand.

Mike, where's Mike? he wondered dimly as soon as Bulbasaur's vine threw him deftly onto the original shore. He rolled a few times in the emerald green grass, fed well by the abundance of water and sunlight, his grip on the drowning Mankey being disconnected. He heard the smaller body thud nearby, and dragged himself up onto his hands and knees, shuddering and shivering even as he looked about him blearily. As soon as he detected Mike's semi-conscious body he clawed his way to his feet as if by invisible rungs of a ladder, swaying pitifully on his feet; he had been through less than Mike and he was in a condition, and it piled more shame onto his heaping plate.

"Mike....you 'wake?" he muttered, letting his knees buckle beneath him so he could reach the trainer. " Justa sec..n....and we c'n get back on schedule,"

He pressed the palm of his hand unhesitantly on Mike's arm, the other too sore to move fully yet. He didn't even have to close his eyes, as he felt empty of thought anyways. He took a moment longer to find Mike's mind; he wasn't a Pokémon after all. He was solely focused on the mental connection, and without meaning to, slung their minds together more fully than with Charmeleon. Both trainers exploded in blue fire, and even after Mike was healed and given more energy the healing fire danced out from Grey's fingertips. He dimly realized that pale, ember-like blue flecks of healing energy had landed on Mike's Pokémon as well, refreshing them but tightening his one-way connection with Mike's mind as well.

It took Grey a minute to realize it, but as his eyes blurred with sudden violence and he noticed he couldn't shake his head to clear them, he discovered that he couldn't stop the energy from flowing from him to Mike - and it was draining him with dangerous speed now. The color left his face and he felt awareness slipping away from him; it brought back a memory....almost...

"Mike! Hit me....or som...thin'..." he started to yell, but drifted into a murmur as a state similar to when you're freezing overcame him; sleep never seemed a better, warmer, more welcome idea. "...catch my.....Ma.....Mank....it..." he also whisked out unable to point to the half-choked Mankey laying on the nearby grass.

He drifted off finally, figuring he'd either run out of the energy that allowed him to heal or Mike would knock off the connection anyways. He began to float in a soft, blanketed darkness, alone with his thoughts. Hell, I can't even heal right anymore! No wonder I didn't have any friends before, I'm nothing but a burden. I help a little then add a ton more difficulties to everything....I just hope Mike doesn't delay for me. He can leave me in my sleeping bag and go to the Plateau, and when I wake up I'll go back to Viridian....Am I asleep? I'm thinking clearly if so....strange. At least I don't have to face Mike and try to explain what I had intended. That I wasn't running away, just tryin' to help. I wonder if my Pokéballs are okay...

[OOC- Is it just me, or does Grey have this incredible love for fainting O.O *you've defeated Wild GREY! Gained 25 EXP!*]

Mike became quite anxious as Grey pressed his hand against Mike's arm. He felt compelled to pull it away, but something stopped him. He couldn't identify what it was, but something in the back of his mind wouldn't let his arm move away.

Suddenly, Mike felt like something was trying to get a grip around his mind. It was a horribly odd sensation, but he quickly grew comfortable with it. Something was soothing his brain. He felt all the worry sweep away. This "something" in his mind suddenly took shape. It felt like Grey. It felt as if the grip around Mike's mind was getting stronger, and it was almost as if he was sharing his body.

Mike looked up at Grey, who looked back. Suddenly the blue flames re-emerged from Grey's fingers and began working their magic on Mike. All of the pain from his cuts and bruises was dissapearing. Then he felt a tingling sensation as all of his wounds suddenly began healing.

First, all of the swollen places where he'd been hit returned to their normal, un-swollen size. In the places where he had gotten cuts, Mike observed as his body began closing up the wounds. It reminded him of nature films he'd seen, where they fast forwarded through time to show the progression of the seasons.

Suddenly though, the tingling increased and covered his whole body. It was very energizing and felt great. Mike now looked at Grey's hand, and became slightly alarmed by the fact that the blue flames were spreading. Now no longer contained within the vicinity of Grey's hand, the blue fire covered his whole body, and Grey's too.

Mike felt as if he was completely and involuntarily attached to Grey. He tried to pull away, both mentally and physically, but simply couldn't. Mike felt healed, but Grey's flames wouldn't retract. Mike saw a sudden expression of fear in Grey's eyes, and realized that his uneasiness with the situation was shared by his friend.

Grey looked pale, and mumbled something incoherent. Mike thought he heard the words "hit me", but even if he wanted to he couldn't. He was completely at the mercy of Grey's powers. He couldn't move a muscle.

Then, suddenly Grey faded from his mind and the flames left him. Grey collapsed on the ground in front of him, his last words being "...catch my.....Ma.....Mank....it.." before fainting. Mike felt like he was in a flashback from yesterday, except this time, he was genuinely worried about Grey's health.

At the same time, he noticed the Mankey Grey had been referring to. Grey must really want it if it's the last thing he says before fainting... thought Mike. He removed a Pokéball, still cold and wet from the river, and tossed it at the half-dead pokémon. It wasn't difficult to capture, it just gave up and entered the Pokéball directly.

Mike then put the ball into Grey's hand and lifted him up, carrying him on the shoulders. It was surprisingly easy. Grey's healing really was amazing and clearly did wonders. He turned to Charmeleon, who now also seemed more refreshed; maybe even fully refreshed.
"Get us back to camp, Charmeleon" commanded Mike in a serious tone and began following the red lizard through the woods, with Bulbasaur tagging along behind Mike at a quick pace.

Once they got back to the camp, Mike took his sleeping bag, and placed Grey on top of it. Then he covered the cold body with Grey's own sleeping bag. Hopefully, that would at least warm him up. Finally, he sat down, next to the unconscious trainer and waited for him to wake up.

[OOC- Btw, just wanted to say that the last post you did was great! Very dramatic with Grey's thoughts at the end! And yay!! I caught a wild Grey! ;P]

...it's too early to wake up...and I don't want too. Maybe I can just act asleep and nothing will bother me...hm... Grey's reviving body stirred, shifting the warm thickness of his own comfortable sleeping bag a ways. It slipped with a swishing sound, and as he turned over a bit, flopped off to one side; that's what he got for getting a silky-like sleeping bag anyways. ...maybe I should wake up...I feel awake now anyways, and sleeping to long makes me feel sick.

After a brief interval of motionless silence from Grey, his eyes cracked open slightly, peeking in a cunning way that was pointless. His own mind wondered why he was trying not to be noticed, and he commanded his body raise into a sitting position. He hadn't felt this drained since he had woken up from a bout in the Viridian Forest with a arduous slash wound across his chest. Then, though, he'd simply had to stumble to the nearest house in the city to get medical attention that had quickly and efficiently repressed any pain. Now, it was as if there was a hollow, aching, exhausted area in his mind and chest. Once he had sufficiently positioned himself, one hand outspread on the damp material behind him for cautionary purposes, he checked out the surroundings that were discernable to his half-open eyes.

As soon as he could recapture the flashback of what happened down at the river's edge, he began to consider if going back to sleep and pretending it hadn't happened wasn't an option. He could just refuse to talk and-And what? Make Mike feel bad for what I did?...That's not how I'm going to become the Elite Four Champion...so...

"G'morning, noon, or night." he said in a steadily climbing state of awareness, waving evasively at the trainer. "I'm..." he went silent and had to pry the next words out of a small cavity in him that was guarded by embarrassment. "...Mike, I hafta say I'm sorry for leaving you alone back there. If I hadn't tried to avoid fighting by using book-knowledge, then we could've been fine."

That said, he made complete eye contact with the older boy, making sure he had completely healed him; it was his payment for doing nothing, after all. He smiled a bit in satisfaction at the overall healthier appearance of his friend, then raised his hand to make an annoucement.

"I won't do it again. I've only been in one fight as of now, and that isn't how you get stronger. I thought that memorizing all of my Pokémon's attacks and characteristics would get me through, but it only works on generic battles...what I need to do is train myself more."

At the end of this speech, or proclamation of sorts, he laughed. Not only did it lighten the load off of his chest, it made him realize that he'd mostly been telling himself - Mike had clearly learned this information previously, and hearing it from Grey was probably like hearing an old record playing back. But it wasn't just the fact that he felt that the hard part was over with that sent his spirit soaring suddenly. Deep within him, a frightened and timid section of his heart was elated by the self-knowledge that his healing gift was T-totally gone for a day or two. No more responsibility of healing everything he saw or passing out when he tried to help.

"S-sorry," he laughed healthily, sobering up a bit. "I am sorry. If you'd have known I'd be okay when I woke up, then you could've trained and done some beneficial stuff while I slept...and here I am laughing like a moron over nothing." He outstretched his arms in a muscle-jolting stretch, and blinked in confusion as he became aware of the presence of a minimized red and white Pokéball cupped in his now-raised hand.

"Hm? Oh! You caught that Mankey." he remarked as soon as it dawned on him. "That's a relief...if I had remembered it some other time, I might've been worried sick about it."

If Charmeleon seemed bewildered minorly by this comment, Grey couldn't explain it. He reckoned he'd save a Rhyhorn after it had impaled him on its horn, if it was in need; that and he had a goal of capturing one of every kind of Pokémon there was ahead of him as well. And just because Mankey were agitated and illogical creatures didn't exclude them from that infinitely long list.

"It won't come as a surprise to you most likely, but I'm just an average trainer for a day or so." he informed his companion, shrugging. "I guess that once I hit a certain point in overextending my ability, it doesn't hurt me, it just....leaves for a while. Leaves or takes time to reappear."

As a particularly interesting inquiry came to mind, he reached down to his PokéNav's accustomed place at his side; shaking his head defeatedly when his fingers grabbed his jacket instead of his endlessly useful trinket.

"Erm...speaking of time...how long of I been asleep - meaning, will we have time to make good time on the road today, still?" he turned to Mike while asking. It seemed impossible that the day's crazy event had occurred before breakfast, even.

[OOC- Hilarious XD I thought teh post was yicky. But I appreciate praise~ *pets your personal and descriptive way of writing* I like yours better, though.]

"Listen, don't worry about it Grey. Main thing is that we got out of it!" smiled Mike at his friend. I went through something similar too when I first started out, after all... he thought to himself before continuing.
"There is something to be learned from this though... Books don't always work. And one shouldn't rely on them." Mike looked down towards his feet, trying to figure out how to phrase what he was trying to say.
"Er... what I mean is that you should take their words as advice and not as absolute truths. Books don't change according to your current situation."

Mike hoped he had put it well enough. Even if he was older and more experienced, he didn't really like giving Grey lectures- He didn't mind teaching others what he had learned; in fact, he enjoyed sharing his knowledge. He just didn't like correcting people when they made mistakes; especially friends.

Mike decided it might be a good idea to make the situation less tense by describing a similar thing that had happened to him.
"You know..." started Mike and looked off into the distance; his eyes abscent mindedly drawing towards the far-away image of indigo plateau.
"When I first began my journey, I was also trying to go by the book." Mike looked over at Charmeleon and then back at Grey, "Charmeleon was just a Charmander back then... that sure brings back some memories. Anyway, so one day I was walking through the forest outside Celedon and I came across this tree filled with bedrill and Kakuna. I remembered how the number one rule for dealing with sleeping bedrill was to stay quiet."

Mike stopped telling the story for a while and blushed. It was quite embarrassing for him to talk about this particular incident. He looked back at the ground, laughing at his own idiocy and then continued:
"well, I did what the book said. I remained silent and still and inched my way past the bedrill. Of course, during the time it took for me to do this, the beedrill woke up. And then I got stung... Quite a bit."

Mike took a few steps around the camp site, just moving around and stretching his legs while Grey was getting up. He stopped after a while and added: "I'll help you train if you want... It would be fun!" Mike winked at Grey.

As Grey noticed the Pokéball with the now captured Mankey inside it, Mike just laughed
"You sure love Pokémon, don't you. Those things nearly ripped us apart and you still had to make me capture it for you." He looked down at Charmeleon, who curiously looked up at Mike. "Of course, I can identify. It looked in pretty bad shape. I probably would have done the same as well..."

Mike's eyes yet again shifted to the plateau. He wasn't thinking it consciously, but he was clearly anxious to get going. When Grey then asked if they'd be able to cover any good distance he thus felt a slight bit more at ease. Mike looked at his watch. It pointed to nine forty-three. He was surprised. This whole endeavour had taken longer than he had expected. Hist time sitting next to the unconscious Grey must have been longer than he thought.

"Well, I don't see why wouldn't be able to make it as far as the base of the mountain today!" It was an optimistic goal, but certainly possible. It was still early and they (or at least Mike) felt energized and fully able to reach that goal.
"I'll be back in a second. You get yourself ready, while I go back to the river. We forgot the dishes there, you know? He he." Mike darted away quickly heading towards the stream he had previously failed crossing (at least failed to cross it permanently).

After a few minutes he arrived back at the camp site with clean dishes in one hand and a bunch of berries in the other.
"I found these in the woods!" exclaimed Mike proudly and displayed the berries, "We could save some food and have these for breakfast. And we could have these on the road, meaning we'd get out of here quicker!"

[OOC- Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate it.]

[OOC- I am really happy at teh moment, and so I will get cozy before posting to ensure it's good. But, you see, I 'm actually almost done with my first manga/comic page!...sure, there are about 100-120 in each volume of a manga, but it was extremely hard to motivate myself. I have two more panels to do and then coloring! Opps...sorry for the rant, Daxx ::) ]

BIC -

By the time Mike came sprinting spiritedly out of the camoflauge of woodwork with his unexpected treat, Grey had successfully set himself the task of arranging his friend's pack so that everything fit in easily and was facile to locate; not to mention the careful way of organizing the luggage was travel-freindly, with the more important objects cushioned securely. Luckily, as an afterthought, Grey had remembered to leave a nice bit of room for the dishes. He had plenty of experience in that kind of knowledge; it always did well to have everything handily ready in an emergency.

"On-the-go breakfast sounds like the best idea all morning...with the exception of getting Bulbasaur to rescue us from being mauled, of course." Grey joked, his stomach persistantly encouraging him to stuff as many of the plump, ripe blue-colored berries in his mouth. The looked ready to explode with juice already, and, as his eyes became temporarily welded to the handful of berries, he nearly forgot to check on his steadily growing crew.

"Come on out, Reiu, Nezi, Sora,...erm...hm--" He was momentarily lost as to a name for the hot-headed Mankey, but his imagination supplied one before the Pokémon fully emerged. "--Say hi to the bunch, Ikeiru."

The wet Mankey seemed none for being captured now that it was out of harm's way, and the previous consent to being protected by a trainer had left it behind. The violent fighting-type bounded towards him, but was entirely taken by surprise when Grey made no signs of dodging or defending himself, but gave a slight wink to Mike, just as a reassurance. Its brown paws revealed short, sharp claws, and it aimed for the trainer's midsection with a bound.

Right before the attack landed, a flame-tipped long tail intercepted the attack, knocking the Mankey back with a outcry of insult. Reiu took a stance in front of Ikeiru, scowling at the shorter Pokémon. The Charmander's leer seemed to antagonize it, and it growled thoughtlessly before lunging forwards ogain, claws windmillings furiously. This time however, a sudden gust of conjured wind sent it tumbling off to one side, unharmed but once more one-upped as Sora fluttered protectively to Grey's shoulder, chirruping. The Mankey took to its feet shaking with blind outrage.

With a confirming sigh, Grey held up the Mankey's Pokéball, the beam of red light enveloped his wayward Pokémon in energy before swirling back into the palm-sized mechanism and clasping shut.

"I know when to give up..." he said with a laugh. " Looks like I'll hafta keep my eyes peeled for a trainer that can redirect its energy; even I can tell that taming it isn't a safe option."

"Charrrr..rr," Reiu said with a vicious nod, sending another burst of laughter out of Grey. Sora simply huddled on its replacement father's shoulder, fluffing up the peach feathers on its breast.

"Thanks you guys," Grey said with complimentary beams to his team. " Sorry I made ya'll act like that and everything...but I sure know that you can fight now!" he declared proudly.

...maybe, for once...I should do what I always do, and keep quiet on this. If I told Mike that I had asked them with mental pictures to do that, then he'd probably think I was hiding all sorts of stuff...the slate-blue eyed boy told himself as his eyes grew far away. And it wasn't like he knew it would work, either. Though it's a lucky thing it did, else I'd be getting my neck wrung byu one of my own Pokémon, It was true he couldn't heal, but appearently his empathetic powers were seperate from the dancing blue fire.

Without any further adu, Grey seized Mike's thoroughly rinsed eating instruments, fixing them in their nooks eagerly. He presented the less-lumpy and reoragnized pack to his friend, sleeping bag rolled up and securly attached and everything. His own sleeping bag and pack already rested agisnt his left hip, slightly behind his back to avoid interfering with walking. His eyes danced energetically, his energy showing in them; he was as ready to get on the move as he was to meet up with his unknown benefactor - perhaps more, at the moment.

"If we can have them on the road, then let's get to it!" he declared, weilding his share of the freshly picked blueberries over his head in a waving motion. He streaked towards the dusty road of fate and destiny, of hopes and dreams that could be fulfilled or shattered, with a Charmander and Rattata racing by his side and a Pidgey nestled on his shoulder with its wings out for balance. The world, he bet, as it reflected in his eyes, had never looked better. Full and healthy green shrubs waved cheerfully, thick walls of trees allowed their leaves to dance in the wind but were too proud to bend in such unworthy a breeze, the plateau looked down at them in judgement with its withered eyes, and their very own spiraling road of roacks and dirt led them onwards to the Indigo Plateau and all its splendor.

[OOC- [size=12pt]Got personification? [/size] :p Tree: STFUN00b! ]

[OOC- Congrats on the Manga!! Hope you'll let me read it when it's done! Oh and yet again my friend, you have managed to pull of a highly emotional, excellent post (especially the last paragraph) Kudos to you!]

BIC-
Mike was impressed by how gallantly Grey's Pokémon defended him from the Mankey. He was especially impressed by Reiu, who by the look of things was really warming up to Grey. Mike didn't quite get Grey's comment on "Making them act like that", but he quickly discarded the confusing statement from his mind. It wasn't really important.

Something else grabbed his attention. As Mike was picking up his bag, he noticed how the bag felt diffrent somehow. It was... better. Grey had been messing around with it, and Mike jokingly thought that Grey might have healed his bag too. He had to find out what had been done to it. He hadn't actually payed any attention to the bag before now, so he was genuinely surprised by seeing the contents of it neatly packed down.

"Wow, Grey, thank's for the packing!" exclaimed Mike, patting Grey on the back, "this backpack is almost enjoyable to wear now without all those pointy things pushing against the fabric in the back of the bag and hitting me in the spine." Mike laughed as he realized how silly that sounded.

He swung the bag up onto his shoulder and left the remains of the camp, chasing after Grey who was allready back on the road. Charmeleon went ahead to scout the terrain. The day was turning out to be a beautiful one: The sky was almost clear, apart from a few scattered clouds, there was a nice and steady breeze and unlike last night, it was warm again.

Mike looked over at Grey, who was walking beside him, probably also enjoying the weather. I should count myself very lucky to have a friend like him thought Mike. Not a lot of people give as much of themselves as he does. And he doesn't seem to expect anything in return. He truly is one of the good guys.

Mike wished he was more like Grey, but he wasn't. He had done good deeds in his life, but he felt guilty for his reaction to them; one incident in particular. When his parents went bankrupt and Mike decided to help out at home instead of starting his journey, he felt as if he had wasted part of his life. He didn't want to, but he held it against his parents. He blamed them for his late start in life. On a deeper level he also blamed himself for feeling the way he did. It was a constant inner struggle for Mike, and the presence of Grey didn't help the situation. He felt the buried feelings claw their way out of his subconscious. He quickly stopped them and looked back at the scenery.

He wasn't going to blame Grey for his own short comings. He had to forget about the past and start living in the present. And the present offered only three things: An amazing adventure, a new friend and a team of Pokémon that wouldn't let him down. Mike decided that Life really wasn't that bad.

Mike realized he had been quiet for quite a few minutes and decided to break the silence.
"So... you've given up on the Mankey, eh?" he asked, "You can tame it... You just have to prove to it that you're an able trainer. It's not an easy task, but you seem to know what you're doing when it comes to proving your worth as a trainer". He looked at Reiu, who was marching along next to Grey.
It really did seem more attached to him.

[OOC- Same compliment to you ^-^ You are incredible at creating a believable character and realistic thoughts and all ^-^ I just rely on nice descriptions and stuff~]

BIC-

Grey's impression on the day was escalating all the time; he'd nearly forgotten his invariable observation of the sky, and now that he did, it seemed as if his alleviation was influencing the world around him. He found his own thoughts trailing back inevitably to his memories, the earliest were cloudy and fragmented, but he could recall his first adventure out of Pallet Town without difficulty.

The citizens of the small, clean town weren't even aware of it, naturally. Who would let a five-year-old boy with no true family go out into the Pokémon-infested grass beyond the archway that greeted all travelers? But Grey wasn't likely to be caught when he didn't intend to; silence and cunning were all he needed to slip into the refuge of swaying tall grass. Nearly three hours later, a salesperson traveling towards Pallet arrived with him in tow, declaring feverishly that he had found the boy with an entourage of Pidgey and Rattata listening curiously to him.

Grey had giggled cutely and the belief was vanquished that he could tame Pokémon's spirits - from then it had been harder to evade wary townspeople on his bouts.

Sometimes, now, Grey wondered if he wasn't slowly going to lose his talents. He certainly did nothing to be worthy of them, and he couldn't recall how he had attracted so many of the low-leveled creatures to him back then. It was like a mist coated the time elapsed between him encountering a tiny baby Rattata and then having a group of them huddled by his side.

Why doesn't someone like Mike have this...responsibility? He'd probably use it better than me, and then he'd make a perfect trainer Grey realized, his thoughts shifting gears as Mike drew his mind back to current events.

"Thanks for the compliment, but I doubt it was something I did that made Reiu like me...maybe he saw that you liked me and decided tit would be okay." He commented. " Though it's a much more pleasent experience, so maybe I have your coming-along to thank."

After a brief bit of silence again, he withdrew his Pokédex from his pack's most frontmost pouch; a process that slowed him slightly until he had it clasped in his hand, then retained his normal speed again.

"I completely forgot to read the information in this thing...it's kinda important if I'm trying to catch all of the Pokémon there are." he explained to Mike, wondering what all goals his older friend had.

He lapsed into a distracted silence as he hunched his shoulders to read the information on his current Pokémon, trying to keep the sun's glare from reflecting stubbornly off of the Pokédex's screen. Nothing truly important caught his eye aside from Mankey's signs of becoming angered. I think anyone who ticks off a Mankey is going to see more than just a few signs... he thought darkly.

"It just occurred to me Mike, but how will I be able to choose just six Pokémon to travel with? I want to keep all of them with me...but there's no way that'd work." The idea of neglecting all but his six favorite partners tore at his heart. "I should catch them and get their data, then find the perfect partners for them. That way, they won't be cooped up in a storage system all the time, and I won't miss out on gathering as much information as I can."

The idea was a win to him, even if it was the idea of seeing smiles bloom on people's faces when he introduced them to a creature that seemed made for them. It made his heart leap...at least, until he realized that it'd mean that he'd have to give away Pokémon that may or may not become close to him while he found someone for them.

"...or not..." he grumbled, sighing as he held up Ikeiru's Pokéball up to block out the sunlight. "I just want to make friends with all of them...but I have nowhere to keep them where they can be happy until I finish whatever I need to finish."

His mind started to fix sadly on these complex and rather depressing ideas, tears of frustration and uncertainty forming in his chest. He coughed once, then reattached the metal ball to his belt. It was an absolutely perfect day, and in no way was he going to tear down the wall of excitement that was being constructed in his heart.

"Well, nevermind! We're going to see the Indigo Plateau; I shouldn't be thinking of such time-consuming issues like that right now!" he declared positively, stroking Sora's soft brown plumage in acknowledgement when it bit his ear affectionately. He glanced down as his boot scuffed the pathway, knocking up a small plume of dirt and sending a few loose cobblestones clattering a few feet ahead of them.

The plateau rose before them, seeming to grand for his eyes as Grey observed the snow-capped peak of the mountain, and then the soft blue sky that it seemed to be reaching for. Striving to reach it-as if encouraging trainers to do the same, and work hard to reach the infinite boundaries of the sky.

I might do just that, Grey thought with a smile, popping two juice-filled blueberries into his mouth and biting down. The flood of sweet and delicious flavor made him wince in surprise; then he chewed with more enthusiasm, licking his lips in an exaggerated motion of satisfaction.

"You know how to feed us, don't you?" he asked cheerily to Mike, handing a large berry to Reiu and laughing in delight as it coughed and hacked at the unexpected rush of flavor. He offered his other Pokémon their share as well, and they were in agreement as to the quality of the berries.

[OOC- A bit late now, but next time I'll try not to talk so much, as to give your character time to respond. Apologies, meh friend ;D ]

[OOC- I, for one, enjoy nice descriptions and stuff ;) And thanks for the compliment. I was actually worried Mike didn't come across as believable, but I guess it's just me :p]

BIC-
Mike had remained silent for quite some time now, idly listening to Grey as he talked about his troubles.
"Well, it is a problem..." Mike eventually replied. "You can't have all your Pokémon with you. However, I don't think giving them away is the answer. Partially, it's going to handicap you as a trainer, and prevent several meaningful partnerships."

Mike didn't actually think of it consciously until he said it, but he really did see his Pokémon as partners; his equals. They were friends, working together for the same goal, equal in all ways. The fact that Mike was their trainer was irrelevant. He was simply the person in charge of overlooking things. Giving his Pokémon away wasn't an option for Mike. He imagined it wasn't really an option Grey liked to consider either.

"I could tell you my solution to the problem... It isn't a perfect solution, but I think it's adequate." Mike tossed a few more of the blue berries into his mouth. He chewed quickly, delighted by the flavor, but also in a hurry to finish telling Grey about his plans.

"Well, I've been kinda going slow when it comes to catching Pokémon. I've been trying to concentrate more on training than catching..." began Mike, quickly realizing he was trailing off topic. For him, anything about Pokémon got him excited enough to talk for hours.
"Anyway... I think, once I have more than six Pokémon, I'll begin circulating them. I'll train six of them for a while, and then replace them one by one for the ones I have stored back home. That way, I'll get to keep them active and out here seeing the world, without having to choose six favorites."

Mike leaned in closer to Grey.
"Of course, I couldn't put Charmeleon back in storage. I mean, you know what it's like... Your starter is sort of special..." He looked over at his red friend, who was waiting for them about a hundred feet ahead, sitting atop a rather large rock. He waved to his Pokémon, and it gladly nodded in reply. The connection he felt with his starter was indeed special. They were like brothers. They would never willingly part ways with each other.

Mike finished off the rest of his berries, wiping his now blue-stained hands in the tall grass. He then looked over at Grey and smiled broadly as his friend jokingly chatted, now happily remarking on the tasty berries, leaving his troubles for another day. Mike admitted it; the berries had been very fresh.

After some more walking, Mike looked up at the Indigo Plateau; looming ahead, inviting and taunting at the same time: Though it drew nearer, it felt as if it was still quite far away (mainly because it was). This made Mike feel as if he was being challenged. As if the plateau was saying "If you think you belong here; you need to catch me first."

Mike had no trouble taking that challenge, It had been his dream to climb this mountain his whole life. Ever since he was a little boy, Mike had felt misunderstood. He was usually joking around; enjoying the moment, so to speak. On top of this, he always seemed to run into trouble that prevented him from doing what he originally planned to, often forcing him to stop what he was doing and go down a diffrent path. The situation with his parents was just one of those situations. Many of his friends thus incorrectly mislabeled him as a quitter, and never really took him seriously. Just once, Mike wanted to prove to the world what he could achieve. That was his dream. For Mike, this meant becoming a trainer. It meant rising to the top, and it meant getting further than anyone else. It meant he had to become a Pokémon master.

As they approached it, Mike observed the stone Charmeleon was sitting on. He noticed scratches in it. Upon closer inspection, he saw that the stone was covered in names and corresponding dates. He read a few of the countless names casually as they passed it.
"Henderson, Brown, Burrows, Ketchum, Whitman, Kurosaki, Oak..." the names were countless. All of them, all these trainers, had at some point in time, be it yesterday or a hundred years ago, passed this very stone and inscribed their names in it as an everlasting reminder, telling the world that they had made it this far. Mike wanted to put his own name in the stone, but he reserved that for when he made it to the Championships.

Everyone has a reason for coming here thought Mike. Our reasons are all unique. Grey wants to catch all the Pokémon in the world. I want to be the best there is at training them. Yet all of our roads collide here... This truly is a special place. Mike raised his head and re-fixed his gaze on the mountain ahead.

Grey couldn't help but feel reverent as he settled one hand on the smooth, worn surface of the large stone. The fact that its weather-beaten face served as a memorial tablet to countless trainers was overwhelming to him. Some of the names were faded to illegibility, whilst more of them were deep and sharp, indicating more recent visitors. The multitude of the names impressed a thought that had swum quietly in the back of his subconscious mind, a thought that had imposed itself on him ever since he had cupped Reiu's white Pokéball in his hands. What if I don't get here? What happens if I'm just not good enough, or if I give up and do something that isn't so hard? With trainers like Mike, I don't stand a chance at becoming a Master.

He traced a name that his index finger had covered, feeling the indentions' textures on his fingertip, his thoughts truly elsewhere.

"Virdian..." he said softly to Mike, his mind alighting on another word. "Sounds like 'Viridian', doesn't it?"

He sighed a bit disheartedly, and looked down at Reiu in confirmation. The white Charmander, who he had tried so hard to prove his worth to, and who he might never be able to, nodded curtly, but seemed to read right through him. It frowned at him in a knowing way, cocking its bare head to one side. In his mind, grey could almost hear it asking him, "What's wrong?"

Grey's eyes ventured off the stone and instead alighted on the horizon, back the way they had come. And they would head back there as soon as they had set their priorities right. The sun was heading that way now, as if it was anxious to get a head-start on them. Grey leaned thoughtfully against the stone with his hands in his jacket pockets, the wind picking up and blowing his hair and loose articles of clothing towards the way he was facing.

He wished with all of his heart that he could know for sure...feel for sure...that he would return here one day. That he would trace the same etching with a matured finger, and smirk at this memory. Then, that he would carve his very own name right next to 'Virdian', making each cut with determination and pride. But he remembered the agony of the one time he felt positive he would be able to make a life-changing difference, and had instead given one old lady false hope. Her old, aged Growlithe had been infected with an incurable disease, and Grey had confided in her his healing ability. He had performed the same actions he always did to cure...but he had merely made the Growlithe aware of its surroundings. It had still died, and the old woman had declared him a 'cruel excuse for a child' for telling her such things.

The idea that he would try valiantly to beat all the other contenders going for the title of 'League Champion' seemed to be the same. What if he made it there and battled gallantly as far as he was concerned, but the other trainers scoffed at him and easily defeated him? It shouldn't seem to be on the same level as a Growlithe's life, but Grey thought that such a shaming event would feel worse.

"Mike." he said suddenly, actually making Nezi fall over with a squeak, as it had been reaching for another berry from Grey's unguarded supply, its paw almost touching one of them inside his jacket pocket. "You mind waiting for a few minutes? I can't really tell...but it looks like a flock of Spearow are heading this way, and I wouldn't mind catching one." he explained.

"If not, there are plenty more on the way. Your choice, after all, we want to get to the Plateau tonight."

"Nah, I don't mind waiting a bit" replied Mike as he judged the distance to the plateau. "It seems as if we're covering a lot of ground; more than I thought we would." Mike removed his backpack and placed it leaning against the large stone, which was now a few feet behind them. Then he turned to Grey.
"It would be nice with a break, anyway."

He went over to a nearby tree and began climbing it. It was quite easy. The tree had a lot of low hanging branches, so Mike quickly got to a higher altitude. Once there, he found a sturdy branch and swung his leg over it. Then, careful not to loose his balance, he stretched out along the branch with his back against the tree trunk. He sighed heavily in relaxation and put his hands as support behind his head.

Mike looked down at Grey and smiled.
"I like to climb trees" he said in a cheerful tone, explaining the obvious to his friend. "It kind of calms me down. I've always liked having my feet off the ground. It's as if I'm drifting away from my troubles... you know, as if they were all anchored to the ground. Even when I'm not troubled, it's a very peaceful way to take a break."

Mike grabbed the left side of his jacket and removed something from the inner pocket. It was a small pair of binoculars. He scanned the horizon and looked for the flock Grey had talked about. Sure enough, it was a flock of Spearow. Mike didn't like Spearow particularly much. They had such a nasty temper and short fuse. Mike had almost gotten into trouble with them on several occasions. He hoped Grey knew what he was doing.

"Grey... you do realize that you need to take on the leader of the Spearow, right?" Mike thought of how he sounded just like Grey did earlier at the river, and how Mike had later lectured him about it. He felt like an idiot now, but he had already started talking, so he might as well continue...
"These guys... they're not really like Mankey. They're not really prone to attack for no reason and I suggest you use that to your advantage. Once they do attack though, they will go after you like a Mankey so you need to finish up the battle as soon as possible. A Spearow is easier to beat than a Mankey, but a river won't save you from them if they get the upper-hand..."

Mike was about to offer his assistance, but he stopped himself. He wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do... On one hand, I'd like to help him out, but on the other, I don't want him to think that I don't believe he can handle this... he thought to himself. Mike remained silent, staring at Grey for a while, trying to make up his mind. Then he returned to the binoculars.
I'll see what happens... I'll lend him a hand if he needs one, but otherwise I'll let him do this by himself thought Mike as the cloud of flying Pokémon approached them.

Charmeleon now began climbing Mike's tree as well, clearly set on not battling. It went to the first branch from the ground and lied down on it's belly, while carefully keeping it's tail away from the tree. Mike wondered if he needed to prepare Charmeleon for battle. He then almost started laughing.
C'mon Mike. You're being silly. You won't need to battle. he thought. These are Spearow we're talking about. What are you getting so worried about? Grey can handle this - piece of cake!

Mike settled into his branch and prepared for the showdown which was soon about to take place... He threw a thumbs up at Grey and returned to gazing at the Spearow.
Front row seats... All I need now is popcorn! thought Mike.

"I like to climb trees."

Grey looked up at Mike with a suspiciously blank face at first, but as his friend explained what he was doing, Grey nodded his head in a distracted way. Not only did he know what Mike was talking about, but he had used that particular escape from life's hard balls on a regular basis. The rough, reassuringly firm branches beneath hid fingertips, and the view of the horizon unshielded underneath his gaze - it was an unrivaled way to lock up his worry and strife and free himself.

Mike's words of advice reminded Grey that the other trainer had actual experience dealing with Spearow, and that the tips would leave him better off if he heeded them. After an uncertain moment whereupon the trainer had unthoughtfully planned on using all of his Pokémon against the small flock of stubby-winged birds, he jumped in surprise and held out Nezi's Pokéball.

"Return until we're through, okay?" he instructed, his face still devoid of true attention. The Rattata nodded as the swirling red energy surrounded its body and flowed back into the metal container, clicking in confirmation as the Pokéball clasped shut.

"..and Reiu, will you wait here on the rock? I'm going to handle this one with Sora." he said calmly, turning his head towards the Charmander.

"Charrrrr.." it began to growl in protest, but Grey raised his hand curtly, cutting it off. "Char?"

"If I can't learn how to fight with trust in you guys, how am I supposed to become a worthy trainer when ya'll evolve?" he explained softly, patting the white Charmander on its head before turning to Sora. The small Pidgey cooed in a doubtful way, huddling down. The lack of belief Sora had in itself seemed to reflect grey's own spirit, so he smiled courageously as it.

"No stress, okay? If you get tired, I'll be right by your side." he promised, holding out his arm for the brown-feathered bird to step onto.

"Pigeooo..." it chirruped in a braver voice, beating its wings to get them stretched.

What about Mike? Grey turned quickly to his friend, but relaxed when he saw the older boy's observaent state. He seemed to have no intention of leaving his post to join Grey in the battle...at least not at the moment. ...but I don't want him to, no matter what,

"Hey!" he called up to the boughs of the climbing tree. "Don't you leave there unless I fall over and they start pecking me to death, alright?" he requested in a strangely serious voice. "I need to do this...myself, in a way..."

He stroked the underside of Sora's beak, then held his arm at the ready. The Spearow flock that had been specks prior to this preparation were now approaching quickly; their stubby faded-red wings beated furiously to maintain the skies, and the qauntity of them was now visible. Three average species, and one that had a Pidgeot feather sticking curiously out of its plumage.

"Kind of arrogant...leader material." he whispered to himself, then pointed it out to Sora. "Attack that one first, and it'll be easier afterwards, and make the first hit count, since they won't be expecting." He instructed, and grinned encouragingly to his Pidgey.

"Go, Sora!" he declared, pushing his arm into the sky to give the Pidgey agility in its flight. "Hit 'em with Whirlwind and Quick Attack he leader!"

The Spearow cawed harshly at the intervening Pidgey as it shot up in front of them, but the disgruntled voices turned into surprised outcries as Sora began to beat its wings blurringly. Before they could veer out of the way, an eager vortex of wind left the Pidgey's pinions, throwing the Spearow around in the air. A few leaves danced around in the whirlwind, plucked from the trees nearest the fight scene. Without waiting for the winds to dispatch, Pidgey fluttered up in the air, then dived towards the Speaorw weilding an out-of-place crest-feather in its own feathers.

The Spearow cawed with rage as Sora bowled into it shoulder-first, sending both of them somersaulting through the air. Blessed with more sky-worthy wings, the Pidgey righted itself quickly, closing its wings to duck below the outstretched talons of another Spearow. The winds had thrown two of the mottled-brown Spearow into surrounding trees, buying time for Sora to fend off the remaining duo.

"Use-" Grey delayed his commands as he watched the leader Spearow take on a midair stande, one wing half folded with the other one outstretched towards the sky. His eyes narrowed and he restarted. "Wing Attack on the Spearow that's coming at you, then Mirror Move the other!" he snapped instantaneously, following Sora's movements with his stormy blue eyes.

Whipping to face the Spearow that had nearly blinded it, Sora began to flap its wigs backwards to evade a sudden flury of beak-jabs directed at it. Cooing in worry, it began to slow down.

"Roll to the right and attack...now!" Grey heard himself shouting. He felt sick, because he was on the ground watching....himself? He saw the Spearow's tufted face looming in front of him and saw it up in the sky, outmanuveuring Sora.

Then he wasn't split any more - he reeled on his heels and shook his head, then looked back up at the fight. His eyes caught Sora coming out of a barrel roll, and bringing up its wing to hit Spearow's unprotected side. The tensed feathers knocked the other bird Pokémon off to one side, where it landed firmly on the side of the road.

"Turn around and Mirror Move!" he bellowed suddenly, his attention retunring to the leader-Spearow. It was still in stance, beating its wing only ever-so-often, but it had begun to vibrate slightly.

Sora fluttered around and automatically deveoped Spearow's own fighting-stance, each bird's eyes lcoked onto the other. As Spearow flew out of stance and performed its signature move, Drill Peck, Sora began to quaver as well. Just as Sora was ready to corkscrew into its own Drill Peck, Grey intervened.

"You can't hit it, go to the left!"

It's body began to spin in a very drill-like manner, and the lighting-fast movement of the Spearow was matched by the Mirror Move. It dodged the stubby-winged bird and rammed instead into one of the Spearow that had dislodged itself from the boughs of a tree. The unwary Spearow was sent flying back into the foliage, but Pidgey was wearing out. However, the leader Spearow found its own beak wedged solidly in the bark of an oak tree, and its muffled cries of dismay slightly amused and slightly saddened Grey.

"Pigeoo!" it cried out, tumbling clumsily through the air as the last fighting Spearow tackled it solidly in the back. Entirely unguarded, and struggling to remain airborne some five feet from the ground, Sora sought out Grey. He was ready when he heard his own voice, promising the Pidgey, echo in the back of his mind from where Sora was thinking of it.

The Spearow launched a set of furious swipes with its talons at the worn out Pokémon, but was entirely shocked when a set of human arms wrapped themselves around it. Grey landed solidly on his back in the middle of the road with a 'whoomph', all of the air forced out of his lungs. The Spearow clawed and jabbed at him madly, but he held on until he could see Sora upright in the air once more.

"You can finish it," he coughed, letting the Spearow's wings fling his arms apart as it clawed its way into the air. Sora chirped proudly as it readily swooped over the Spearow's next Peck attack, and began to attack speedily, a steady blur of Quick Attacks. Sora stopped finally and fell tiredly from the air, only to be caught in Grey's outstretched arms. He beckoned Reiu off of its stony perch and proceeded to whisper in its ear, pointing once at the violently struggling leader Spearow.

Grinning roughishly, Reiu sidled up to the trapped Spearow, and wrapped its claws around it. With a fierce, over-done tug, the Charmander pulled the feather-wearing Spearow from its prison, and turned quickly around to face it.

"SpeaOW! Spearr!" it cawed pompously, arranging its feather again then trying to aim a series of pecks at the white Charmander. Expecting nothing less, Reiu bounded nimbly out of the way and knocked the Spearow rolling a ways. It struggled up again, glaring indignantly at everyone. But if it's like Reiu, it might just be trying to show how impressive it is as well... Grey reasoned, watching with a Pokéball in hand.

"Spea...rrroe..earear.." it gasped heavily, lunging halfheartedly at the upright Charmander. Reiu simply dogged a bit to the left, and the bird Pokémon collapsed disheartedly on the ground.

"Alright Reiu, let me talk." Grey instructed softly, returning Sora so he could crouch genuinely in front of the defeated Spearow.

"It's not so bad having a trainer, you know." he said calmly, falling the rest of the way onto the ground, and crossing his legs indian-style. "You have to show more team spirit and be social and train hard each day to keep strong....and there are always hard times. You win some and lose some, but you have a team to confide in, and the team will never disown you, or thing les of you for losing. After all, nobody's perfect. One loss doesn't mean anything, as long as you can keep you head up and keep striving to do your best, you'll be a winner every time."

The speech was delivered without pause, and Grey's voice was filled with feeling and truth. The Spearow said nothing, merely watched Grey with large, dark amber eyes. With a wink, he dislodged the Pidgeot feather from its feathers.

"You don't need that thing to be proud of. Be proud of yourself, and then you'll have feathers that put this one to shame." he informed the Spearow quietly, tucking the Pidgeot feather inside his pack as a memoir.

With that said, he held out the metallic red and white orb that was life-altering. For the first time, Grey thought about how important a descision was made when he threw it at a Pokémon. Their enitre lives were changed when they allowed the ball to stop shaking and announce a successful capture. He smiled. perhaps he would always let them be lively enough to make that descision themselves from now on.

"So, wanna give it a try?" he asked softly, presenting the Pokéball in his flat palm.

The Spearow watched him with serious eyes for a moment longer, then fought to regain its feet. He reached out to help it up, but it cooed immediately, and he stopped midway. It stood on shaky talons, its tail feathers drooping. Then, with energy-absorbing determination, it outstretched its wings and spread its chaulky-red tail feathers. Then its beak tapped the clasp of the enlarged ball, and the red energy flooded its form until the two were one. The Pokéball clicked shut solemnly, and didn't shake at all.

[OOC- I tink zat waz onzee slightzly emotieenal O.o;
....or not... sorry for the excess emo. stuff. =3]

[OOC- I think that was more... anti-emo. You weren't really negative enough :p You were quite emotional though, and you can't have too much of that! Unless Grey starts crying for no good reason and keeps it up for 20 posts :p]

BIC-
Mike had followed the battle with excitement, and now that Grey's new Pokémon was caught, he began climbing down the tree. That battle showed a whole new side of Grey thought Mike. He was much more confident! Mike descended, carefully looking down to make sure his leg didn't miss the next branch.

As he approached the ground he jumped down from the last few branches, startling Charmeleon as he flew past it's low hanging branch. It quickly raised it's head and looked down to see to it that Mike was allright. It guessed that it was time to get up, so it slowly rolled over. It clung to the branch with it's claws, and then slowly lowered it's legs. As it dropped them, it could just reach the ground and thus released it's arms, as well.

While hurrying over to Grey to look at the new Pokémon, Charmeleon passed Mike, who was also curious to meet the new addition to Grey's team. Mike was still amazed at how well Grey had handled it. It was completely diffrent from the Mankey incident. Grey had clearly taken control of the situation, and he acted correctly and lightning quick in response to the Spearows' moves. In addition to this, Sora had never been in a battle before, and Grey managed to succeed in capturing the leader with it's help.

Mike hadn't been to sure before, but now he definitely saw what he imagined were the callsigns of someone who would go very far as a trainer, as long as he developed his skills. Mike actually started worrying about having to compete against his new friend in the Championships... He wasn't sure if he'd win against Grey if he kept improving his technique at this rate.

"Great job, Grey! You really handled that like a pro." said Mike, smiling at the victorious Grey, "And that speech... it was quite touching. You're right in doing that, you know... asking if it wants to join you. I like to do the same, but I tend to wait until it's allready in the Pokéball and I can talk to it in peace and quiet"

Mike looked down at Charmeleon. He usually did so sometimes in conversations, just to keep himself confident. He didn't do it on purpose; he simply looked over there on occasion, when he felt subliminally that he lost his way a bit in the conversation, or when he was trying to think of what to say next. Like magic the next thought came to his mind:

"I think that's a problem with a lot of trainers today... They don't respect their Pokémon's wishes. They force it to join them whether or not it wants to at first" Mike returned his gaze to Grey with a huge smile. He patted the younger trainer on his back and put his arm over Grey's shoulders.

Mike looked down at the metallic ball Grey was holding in his hand. It was amazing how effective the speech had been. The Spearow actually went into the ball willingly. Mike imagined that Grey had just started a friendship that would last for a very long time.
"So... What are you going to call your new friend?" he asked inquisitively.

[OOC- Grunt... short post. I've got writer's block or something... srry! =3]

[OOC- I dun't mind short posts ^-^ I just like RPing period~ Better than having one-paragraph posts or something ;D

Grey: :'( ]

BIC-

Studying the full-sized Pokéball in his hand, fingers wrapped loosely around it, Grey looked up at Mike. With a sudden smile that revealed his newfound confidence in battling, he took to his feet. Another observant and considerate stare at Spearow's orb, and he released his grip on the metallic ball.

Gravity took effect, and the sleek metal rapped singularly off of the dirt ground with a chink, popping open in an explosion of white light. The newly captured Spearow formed on the rock-embedded road, turning around curiously as the ball automatically bounced back into Grey's hand and shut with a click.

"Surprise." he said joshingly, reaching one arm down for the tufted bird to climb onto. He extended his forearm to Mike, and introduced them.

"Fero, Mike. Mike, Fero. This is my friend on my journey; he's been a trainer longer than me. And this is Reiu, my first Pokémon,. There's Charmeleon, who's Mike's partner."

He pointed out the according bodies that went with the names to the newly dubbed 'Fero'. It turned its head curtly to each one in an imperious manner, apparently not planning on respecting anyone aside from the one it had been beaten by.

"Hang on a sec...." Grey muttered distractedly, setting Fero on the shoulder not claimed by Sora yet. With that, he released Nezi, Ikeiru, and Sora in turn. With the clear exception of the stubborn Mankey (who took to the nearest tree as soon as its Pokéball had returned to Grey's hand), all of Grey's troupe seemed unsurprised at the brand new addition. It was as if he was attracting a variety of Pokémon unconsciously just to catch them. With five members now in his band, Grey made the decision to return all but Reiu (of course) and Fero. He would've kept Sora out, but the Pidgey seemed weary enough.

"Ouch...that dive-tackle wasn't very helpful to my health. I feel like all the bones in my back are broken." he groaned to his encouraging friend as he re-clasped the last minimized Pokéball back in place, twisted around mostly in order to see the holder. "I'm not pro material yet. But I might be when I pass here for a second time."

With a glance at Reiu, who abandoned its studious observation of the marker-stone in order to listen to Grey, he nodded. "I'll definitely be a pro by then. I won't be back until!" He declared in a more confident voice, giving a thumbs-up sign at the aged but stolid boulder.
"Well, that was...enlightening. But what'dyou think? I'd sure like to put one hand on that mountain base tonight." he inquired cheerily, stabbing a finger at the trail ahead of them.

Fero ruffled its feathers in a sneaky effort to make itself look bigger without its large Pidgeot feather, which drew a cynical snort from Reiu. The Spearow glowered down at the white Charmander then turned around pointedly on Grey's shoulder in order, and ignored it.

"Charrrr-rr-R!" Reiu said coyly as Grey looked at him with narrowed eyes.

Completely satisfied that the Charmander HAD done something, he smiled vengefully at the flame-tailed Pokémon and produced one of his dwindling supply of berries. He handed it elaborately to Fero, hardly able to repress a laugh at Reiu's downcast face.

"That's what you--hey!" his lecture was cut off as the blue-eyed Charmander tackled him playfully and proceeded to fight valiantly towards Grey's jacket pocket and the fruit-treasure that lay there. The two of them scuffled briefly in the dust of Victory Road until Grey rolled away from Reiu's prying claws and took off in the Plateau's direction, with Fero clinging to his shoulder with a vicegrip.

Mike was happy to get going again. He too, felt the need to get to the base of the mountain tonight. The closer they got, it seemed, the more he wanted to actually get there. He wondered what it would be like when they finally arrived at their destination.

Mike remembered having been to a championship competition when he was very little. Mike imagined it being around the time he turned three... He didn't have any distinct memories of the event though, just a few faded images, like snapshots from a really old camera. What he did remember, was a lot of people and many things going on, wherever he looked. This certainly wouldn't be the case now. There probably wouldn't be more than a few staffmembers of the Pokémon village running around.

They kept walking towards the mountain for what seemed to be days, but probably was just hours. At times, they were chatting about all kinds of things. Other times, the trainers remained silent, enjoying the day and the lovely breeze. The clouds drifted by as they continued, providing an enjoyable mix of sparkling sun light and cool shades. Eventually though, the mountain greeted them and the ground began to climb upwards.

The base of the mountain was green as the rest of the landscape, however the trees that had surrounded the grasslands they were on, had become more sparse. It didn't seem as if they had trouble growing on the mountain though; Mike could clearly see lush trees as high up the mountain as his vision let him see. The very top of the landmark was also magnificent. It's grey facade almost shimmered in the sunlight. Mike followed the road they were on, as it wound it's way up the light slope like a snake, and dissapeared from view behind a corner.

As Mike and Grey left the grassland, Mike looked back at the sun one last time. It was now late afternoon and though the sun was still shining it's golden light at the trainers, it was getting low in the sky and the shadows it cast provided an atmospheric, almost spooky feel to the path they were traveling down.

Suddenly as they rounded a corner, something revealed itself from behind a thick overgrowth of trees. It was a massive portal; two huge stone pillars with elaborately carved Pokémon statues on the top. The statues must have been at least 30 feet tall, and they looked utterly ancient, stained by large spots of blue-green algae. Mike remembered hearing that although algae did sometimes grow outside of water, it was a very slow process. He imagined that these statues must have been here for hundreds of years to get such heavy growth.

Mike approached one of them and placed his hand on the cool stone, his hand slightly outreached. He gazed with astounded eyes up to the top of the statue; a magnificent bird with outstretched wings.
Ho-oh, thought Mike. His eyes lowered a bit and came upon a plaque. He stood silently, reading it to himself.
"Your journey's final resting place lies ahead. walk the last miles, and claim your prize. Your destiny awaits." The message rang across Mike's head, a ghostly whisper, while at the same time being clear and powerful; serving it's purpose perfectly: the first words of the epilogue of their journey- Of course, this meassage wouldn't apply to them for quite some time. Some day though, it would.

Mike took a few steps backwards, and looked over at Grey.
"Well Grey, this is it. The point where our journey will eventually reach it's end. The next time we come here, we will have been through a lot together." he said. Charmeleon approached Mike's side and joined the trainers as they observed the sign. Mike's eyes fell upon the red Pokémon next to him, and he patted it on it's head. Next time... thought Mike, [/i]we might even be able to fly through here[/i]. The thought was exciting, as he imagined soaring through the skies with his friend.

[OOC- Hope you don't mind me skipping to the mountain like that... I just htought it would be better if we got there; not so much to do in a huge grassy area like that. :p]

[OOC- Fine by me :) Sorry for low-quality post ahead of time, I'm feeling oddly distracted today]

BIC-

Grey's heart neglected its job of beating as he settled his outstretched hand on the aesthetic stone Ho-oh. The glorious sculpture's slick green-blue coating completed the majestic bird Pokémon's demeanor. Its throne at the crest of the steep declivity of the mountain gave authority to its figure.

If I can't remember this moment until, I'll definitely get a barrage of memories when I put my palm back on this statue thought Grey. His countenance revealed wide blue eyes; the very same color as his white Charmander.

Reiu tugged timidly on his pants leg as asking if Grey could excuse himself from the view. He looked down at his companion inquisitively, and nodded wordlessly when it pointed at itself then him and patted the stone with a determined flare in its eyes. Making the return-voyage without Reiu was out of the question. It wouldn't even be a moderately gratifying experience without his first partner.

"So...definitely worth it." Grey said to the rest of the entourage in an undertone. He had the inexplicable feeling that it would be an unforgivable taboo to act normally at the moment - even Fero had placed a talon briefly on the surface.

This thought spurred him into motion while he explained to Mike. "I want everyone to get to see this view...it would be a shame to miss..."

In turn, a Rattata, a Pidgey, and an unexpectedly solemn Mankey gazed upon the entrance to the Indigo Plateau, returning to their Pokéballs after they had taken the time to rest a paw (or talon) upon the judicious Ho-oh guardian.

As a second thought he sent Fero back into its ball as well, leaving him and Reiu alone for the time. He couldn't explain it to Mike, but he felt it was necessary. Just the fire-type and himself, alone (or perhaps unified) in their thoughts. What wouldn't Grey give to soar through the skies on Reiu's fully evolved back, Sora gliding alongside him. He felt the edge of his mouth twitch upwards, figuring Mike was probably imagining a variation of the same thing.

Grey raised his head up to the heavens, stopping as the sublunary view of Indigo Plateau's awe-inspiring peak, just another sigul of the magnificence Victory Road and beyond had to offer.

Some unknown force kept his boots planted solidly in front of the legendary Pokémon statue. He felt that to move would depreciate the memento in some way.

"Erm...so...Mike....onwards or backwards?" he questioned nervously, one hand in his jacket pocket and the other resting on Reiu's rubbery skin. Truth be told, he had no idea what lay beyond the timeless markers; for all he knew, the area ahead could be loaded with traps and tricks meant to test worthy trainers...or it could merely be restricted until a trainer supplied the correct badges.

The question Grey had posed had actually been in Mike's mind for a while now. He was more or less clueless on how to answer it.

Partly, Mike wanted to go further. He wanted to walk all the way to the plateau. He wanted to stand in the empty stadium, trying to answer some of the many unanswered questions he had about himself and gain new motivation to continue his journey; He wanted to see his goal, and realize how real and achievable his dreams really were.

On the other hand, Mike felt he couldn't go on. The massive statues commanded respect and seemed to look down on the two trainers for even approaching their ancient splendour. During the championships, Mike imagined employees, deliveries and the general public accessed the plateau from another road. It seemed as if this road was only intended for the contestants. Mike didn't want to violate the almost holiness of that road by walking it before it was his time to do so.

Charmeleon also seemed to get the same feeling. It was examining the giant stone Ho-oh carefully, walking back and forth and around the statue. It was however, very sure not to pass the line that separated the regular road from this "special" one. It was even careful not to let it's tail-flame pass the line. Mike noticed how Charmeleon yanked it's tail back as it was drifting past the statues.

"Um..." said Mike, still contemplating whether or not he was actually going to say what he was about to say. It seemed like a terrible waste, but it just wouldn't feel right otherwise.

"Well, I actually don't think this entrance to the plateau was meant for us... And it just feels wrong to pass it." As he talked, he realized another reason not to go, "Besides, it would kind of ruin the feel of getting there after we get our badges, don't you think? I mean... then it will feel as if we could only get to the plateau through hard work and dedication... As if it was locked to all others who didn't live the lives we had lived."

Mike felt terrible to turn around at this point, after they had gotten so far; but maybe it was for the better...
"So what do you say, Grey? How about we head to Pewter city instead and get your very first badge?" asked Mike, his mind in a struggle with itself over which answer it wanted to hear.

Grey looked up at the analytic features of Ho-oh's haughty eyes for guidance. Certainly he wanted to set his eyes on the grandeur of the Stadium where every trainer seeking the ultimate title was destined to stand at some point in time. But that thought was dissuaded by a contradicting point. He might be destined to peer out over the arena from the towering trainer's platform, but that point was far off. If he discovered everything at right now, the feeling of accomplishment would be that much less down the road. It was a case of priority - to set his goals straight now, or leave the experience for when he was more worthy in his own eyes.

Reiu was now gazing at Ho-oh's fellow guardian figure, placing a reverent claw on its glossed surface before turning back to Grey. It was a feat, but not one that the trainer considered, that their hands remained free of the slippery algae.

"Chararr," it spoke in a level voice, encouraging Grey to make the right choice in the matter; it would make a difference on down the line.

"I suppose I'd like to save the full experience for when I'm worthy of it...this is our prize for being among the best, right?" Grey admitted. The journey in his eyes wasn't entirely for naught; he had three Pokémon at his belt to prove it, but the cupid part of him still beat hollowly in his gut.

Reiu blinked slowly then nodded its consent. It too wanted to have something to be proud of when it crossed the unseen line that separated the novices from the elite. Grey cast his gaze down to it when its head tilted. He was glad that he had satisfied the Charmander, although he had a feeling that it would've went along with whatever he decided. That was just how it was.

"Anyways, Reiu and I have a Boulder Badge to win, right?" he exclaimed optimistically, sneaking a glance at Mike. Was he really going to come with them back the way he came? Grey didn't want to be the one to set Mike's schedule back, even this journey worried him.

With a dismissive swipe he pushed a few wild locks of monochrome hair out of his eyes minutely. They were so intent to remain in an inconvenient position that the strands seemed fixed in place. Not expecting any promising results, Grey shifted his gaze to the horizon again. He set his goals there, as limitless and endless as the very depths of space. For what if he did win the title of a Pokémon Master and collected all the known species and recorded their data? Would he retire and sit round idly for the rest of his life. Yeah, right! he thought with a grin.

[OOC- Omigod wat be wif my writing XP It depresses me! *sigh* I might practice with going into less detail and focusing on the overall points. Like when your Charmeleon kept its tail-flame from crossing the line, I'd have probbly ended up with some confusing sentence on its color and brightness and length. :p ]

Mike was happy with Grey's answer; Even if he really didn't want to stop when they had come this far, the risk of losing out on the feeling of accomplishment etc. the next time they came here, was enough to get Mike to turn back.

"Yeah..." he answered, taking a last look at the pillars, "Yeah, let's turn back. Come on 'Char" As the Charmeleon heard it's name being called out, it lifted it's head slightly and turned away from the statue. It then ran over to it's trainer, reclaiming it's place by Mike's side.

There's something special about that 'portal' though Mike as they began the long walk back to civilization. Charmeleon seemed to have so much respect for it. Pokémon are supposed to have a better feeling for nature and sacredness and all... I can't understand how they just know to respect things like this, but it's pretty clear that they do know it.

"...We should listen to them more." continued Mike, practically oblivious to the fact that he was uttering the words instead of thinking them. As Mike saw Grey's confused expression, he decided it was probably wise to explain what he meant.

"I mean, if you looked at our Pokémon, they seemed to know what we were supposed to do long before we did. It's like... they're more in tune with nature and ancient things and stuff... you know?" explained Mike. Charmeleon looked up at it's trainer. Mike responded by winking at it.
"People should really try listen to what the Pokémon have to say. We'd probably get a lot further in life if we did - or at least get there faster."

They now exited from the slightly wooded area and found themselves back on the large grassy plain. Mike walked at a slow and relaxed pace. His thoughts dwelled on what lay, just a few hundred yards past their turning point. He wasn't as disappointed anymore though, as he felt he would indeed be back there one day, and finally see what was there.

The wind was picking up a slight bit, although still remaining a breeze. It's gentle touch caressed the grass and caused shimmering waves to travel across it. The sun was low in the sky, but still not setting. It cast it's rays softly, almost as if the sun was tired, upon the travelers. It didn't feel hot anymore, just warm and comfortable. The clouds were a slight shade of pink; they too getting ready for the long night. As a final sign that darkness was upon them, might saw a faint, almost invisible moon, just over the trees, opposite the sun.

Mike suddenly stopped. He thought a moment and then asked Grey for his Pokénav.
"Ok, lemme check this out..." he said as he scanned the maps on the device, "aha!"
Mike showed Grey what he had found. It seemed to be a small passage, not marked by any trail, but nevertheless providing an easy and short hike between two large mountain formations. The passage led from the far end of the grassland, close to their current position, and all the way to Pewter City.

"I found this a few weeks back, just randomly looking through my maps." he said, while pointing at the pass. "Basically, it's not really a path, but it should be easy to follow and it will take us directly to Pewter, without us having to backtrack to Viridian City."

Mike studied it more closely. It seemed as if it would be maybe a quarter of the distance of going the regular way.
"Well, if we take it, we'd probably get there a whole lot quicker, but we might also get lost in the process... What do you think? Should we risk it? I mean, if we get lost we're pretty much done for..." asked Mike.

[OOC- Hehe, actually, the same way you complain about how you miss the overall points; I could say the same about missing the details. At least that's the way it feels :p I guess in that case we are the ultimate RPing team - we complement each other perfectly :D]

"I think Pokémon are closely related and involved in nature and sacred stuff; that's probably why they are so in tune to it. Take Unknown for example." Grey replied before glancing over at the enlarged trail.

He squinted considerately at the unlabeled mountain trail flashing on the PokéNav, thinking. If we do skip through Viridian, then I'll be passing up catching a Pikachu for awhile...Caterpie and Weedle are just about everywhere, but I'd hafta come back here He looked down at Reiu for some sort of response. The Charmander was trying to peer up at the device, but caught his trainer's gaze and smirked craftily at him.

"Getting lost just adds to the fun, right?" Grey joked, taking back his compact device and reclipping it to the shoulder strap of his bag. Reiu muttered unexpectedly, regaining its serious composure and staring off silently into the distance. The sun looks like its about ready to set, and we've covered a lot of ground already. But I'd like to get a little hiking in. Get me acquainted with battling rock types and all, right?" Grey added, dismissing the elusive Pikachu from his mind..

Instead, he replace it with the heart-stopping Ho-oh and (OOC: Hope this was the other statue) Lugia figures, passing wordless judgement on all eligible trainers that strolled or stood beneath their stony glares. The mere fact that the statues had probably existed before Lugia and Ho-oh had been discovered was astounding, bathing the guardian pair in more mystery and amazement.

"I wonder what kind of Pokémon trainers thought the statues were before the Johto region was discovered. " he voiced out loud, casting his eyes over to Mike. "I bet they seemed even more honorable back then...mythical Pokémon and all."

"Char! Char, charerr!" Reiu interupted, thrusting a stubby claw towards the sky anxiously. Its panicked expression told Grey what was wrong before he looked.

Upon the horizon the sky was darkening; the clouds had grown a threatening grey color and vibrant flashes of lightning could be seen against the dark background.

"Is there supposed to be some sort of shelter nearby? Else we're gonna get a soaking and Charmeleon and Reiu are going'ta have to be Pokéball-bound for a while." he commented dismally, hearing the faint thundering of the storm now that his ears were alerted to its presence.

The trees' topmost branches were now swaying a bit, as if greeting the approaching water with glee; a gust of wind picked up and whipped the trainer's loose jacket about him; he saved his hat only by planting a hand on top of his head. Reiu's flame guttered as the wind tried to whip it away, crackling a bit as if the pale-blue flames were worried about their safety. The Pokémon Center's way too far away, and there weren't any houses on the way here. Might as well head through the pass, shelter or not Grey reasoned.

"Pity there's no umbrella in my pack...guess I was all set on toughing it out when I bought essentials....that and the fact that an umbrella isn't exactly essential." Grey commented wittily.

Mike searched the sky for the approaching storm. Behind him, he saw dark clouds looming on the horizon, so dark they almost looked black. As Mike observed them he thought it was strange how the oncoming storm looked almost as a pleasant addition to the day. When the weather was grey, it wasn't particularly fun, but when it was so dramatically, powerfully grey; and when this greyness contrasted the otherwise beautiful day, it seemed more like good weather than bad.

Mike knew not to be fooled by the sight though. The clouds were approaching, and sooner or later he'd be as wet as a Magikarp.
"It looks as if it's coming in pretty fast..." said Mike as he turned away from the storm and set his eyes upon the forest across from them.
"If we get a move on, we should be able to get to the forest before it starts raining. The pass won't have any shelter, but it is much shorter and it does have a slight protection due to the canopy of trees..."

Mike picked up his speed a bit. He could have walked faster, but he also didn't want to stress Grey. Mike liked to get things done as effectively as possible, and therefore he had a little trouble going at half his potential speed. He got used to it though, as soon as his thoughts drifted away from the oncoming storm.

Charmeleon looked less happy than the trainers (who themselves looked a bit unhappy) about the oncoming storm. It was constantly looking back at the clouds behind them, checking how far away they were. Charmeleon's thoughts dwelled in the future. It thought about wanting to evolve. If it was evolved, a little rain wouldn't be more than a slight annoyance. Besides, if it was a Charizard it could probably out-fly the clouds.

Sadly, Charmeleon still lacked the experience it needed to evolve. It was getting there, but the process was slow and it was going to take a while longer.

They approached the forest just as Mike felt the first few trinkets of rain fall upon their heads. Mike stretched out his hand to catch a few drops, and looked up at the dark clouds that were now right above him, just to make sure that he wasn't imagining the rain.

He turned to Grey and retracted his arm again, wiping the trinkets off on his pants.
"Well, do you have a compass or something, cause this is pretty much it, I guess. We aren't going to find a trail or anything... We just have to take out a course and follow it."

Mike looked into the deep woods. It was now very quiet. There was practically no echo in the air around them due to the high humidity. The inside of the forest looked deserted, which added to the 'quiet-effect'- There weren't even any birds singing. The only actually noise came from The two trainers' feet and the cool whoosihing of the wind.

Despite this, Mike was sure that the forest was filled with Pokémon, and several of them were probably cozy, hiding in their nests now, prepared for the rain. Some of them might even be observing Mike and Grey from the dense forest.

Mike turned back to Grey, waiting to see if Grey would whip out a compass for them. He had brought one himself, but he lost it in the Viridian forest.

[OOC- I hadn't actually mentioned what the other statue was :p]

[OOC- I know. That's why I was worried about what to put it down as; didn't wanna be wrong ::) ]

BIC-

Grey followed Mike's example, sighing as the contrasting pools of darkness in the sky created a blockade against the sun. The wind whipped about them with a certain amount of threat in its strength. With a moderate curse, Grey rammed his hassling hat into the confines of his pack; his hair was bouncy but stringy as well, as if anticipating the coming rain.

"Well, as far a compasses go, one device does the trick." Grey said accommodatingly, handing over the PokéNav after bringing up the satelite-fed compass feature.

Leaving Mike to confirm their position and direction, Grey tugged one of the bouncy-ball sized Pokéballs from its magnetic clasps. The unused white device caught Reiu's fearful eye - the Charmander had been trying to shield its flames by hunching over, but the wind that consorted with the pelting raindrops seemed to hand the sputtering flames to the ill-intentioned elements.

"Sorry Reiu, but this kind of weather isn't fit for a fire-type," he apologized, holding out the containing machine. The absorbing red energy wrapped itself around Reiu in a swirl before swooping back into the metallic ball as if by some powerful force.

At ease with the small Charmander safe, he took in their changing surroundings. The combined potency of the shadows cast by trees and the robust storm's impeding clouds had created a darkness equivalent to what Grey had associated with late evening only a day ago. Despite the dismal weather, Grey was acutely in tune to the fact that a few hunkered down species of Pokémon were no doubt watching their slow, delayed progress with curious eyes. He could imagine a Rattata nestled down in the knob of a tree, both frightened and intrigued by the passing trainers.

"So, good news?" he inquired curiously, moving closer to get a look at the slowly rocking eye that indicated their current position. If all we hafta do is follow the trail why do we need a comapass? Well, he wouldn't ask for it for nothing he thought, shifting his eyes from the electronic compass to his companion's face.

Approximately two hundred yards behind the venturing teenagers, Ekans blinked water from its slitted eyes, its tongue testing the wet and forboding air as it slipped through the grass, threaded with overgrown weeds and various vegetation. Occasionally it sneaked a sly view of the trainers to confirm their presence, but otherwise it was unwavering from its course.

"Ekeenssss..." it hissed inaudibly at a female Nidoran as it skirted by, bound for its burrow, no doubt. It was more than unhappy with the change in weather, as it had no means to dry its chilled scales off other than by a healthy sunbath. Obviously, such a thing was out of reach at the time, and instead of tucking up in a warm den molded from the earth, it was maneuvering around patches of pain-inducing thorns and nettles in dew-laden grass.

"Think I might be able to find a Pikachu before we get too far into the mountainlands?" Grey asked inquisitively, squinting goofily into the overgrowth as if he expected to see the rubbery yellow form of a Pikachu waving at him.

[OOC- Ah, the joy of changing perspective randomly ;) ]

As Grey recalled Reiu, Mike suddenly remembered it was best if he did the same. As he was studying the compass on the Pokénav, he removed Charmeleon's Pokéball. He was fully concentrated on taking out the right course, and didn't let his eyes leave the small electronic device as he extended the ball towards Charmeleon.

With his thumb he pressed the white button on the front of the ball and told Charmeleon it was time to go inside. It looked slightly relieved, as the rain was beginning to pick up. The Pokémon turned into a bright red energy before flying back into the red and white ball, and closing the lid with a clear "click".

Mike reattached the ball to his belt, then stood silently for a few more seconds, before eventually looking up to scan the surroundings. He then handed the Pokénav back to Grey, obviously content with his findings.

"Hmmm... Yes I do believe it's good news," said Mike, now finally letting his gaze relax more as it shifted over to Grey, "Basically, do you see those two mountains right there?" Mike pointed towards two twin peaks, a few miles ahead. They weren't really peaks; they more closely resembled hills, but they did stand out over the other features of the landscape.

"Well, this pass really isn't a pass, but if we use those two mountains as guidelines, and go between them at the right angle, we should be on a straight line to Pewter. We'll get there in no time... assuming we don't get lost." Mike smiled awkwardly. He recalled his "adventures" the day before, right before he met Grey. And the he recalled the time before that, and the time before that. Mike really did have a tendency to get lost... And he usually ended up getting very lost.

Mike approached the line that separated the grass from the trees. He looked into the depths of the forest beyond.
"As for your Pikachu..." said Mike in a slightly less excited voice, largely due to his foreboding feeling that they'd get lost, "You might not find one, but keep your eyes open. They don't venture too far into the woods from what I hear, but there's still a chance to see one, considering we're taking a pass that is only wooded for a rather short time"

Behind the trainers, Ekans was keeping at a safe distance. It followed the trainers' every step. It moved forward when they did. It moved backward when they did. It mimicked the trainers, almost in a theatrical sense. A casual observer might even guess it had been rehearsed, but in reality the co-ordination was brought on by intense concentration. The Ekans wanted to study the two humans; to find out what they were up to, and what kind of people they were.

"Huh. It feels sort of like something is watching us..." said Mike suddenly. "Must be my imagination". He smiled and took a step into the woods. Mike was desperately hoping that his navigation was going to pull through; So much that Mike even "imagined" things watching him.

One one hand, he didn't really have anything to worry about: He did usually have a 50% success rate when it came to navigating. But on the other, he knew all too well that anything with a 50-50 shot of succeeding was at a 90% chance of failing miserably.

Mike decided to leave his worries behind. I should be looking at this the way Grey does; thinking of it as a shortcut if it succeeds and an adventure if it fails. He took one last look at the grasslands and then moved deeper into the forest, quickly disappearing, as if being enveloped in the green hue of the forest

"Funny...I had the same feeling." Grey remarked, swiveling his head theatrically to peer into the darkness behind them. The masquerade of night stopped his vision only a few yards away, but he banished the idea as a rustling to the sides of the mountain trail reminded him that the forest was full of creatures probably watching them. "...It's probably just a Pokémon though,right?" he added on.

The sound of rain showering down upon the canopy of the foliage made a peaceful sshhhing sound, no doubt lulling many a sheltered Pokémon into pleasent slumber. The cover in the depths of the limited forestland was fair, but enough droplets of rain found their way to Grey in order to dampen his clothes effectively after a while. Thunder rumbled placidly in the background, warning them that this was just the beginning of the storm. He had a feeling that before long lightning and thunder would be booming out proudly - by then it would be unheard to the sleeping Pokémon.

Yawning and stretching his arms out, he set his sights back on the undermined bumps that were actually mountain ranges. He focused wordlessly for a while on what tactics would be able to defeat his first gym leader, Brock. Imagining himself challenging the brunette trainer made his stomach clench from nerves. He hoped that the actual experience would find him to caught up in the moment to be terrified.

"By the way," he said, turning to Mike in hopes of starting a discussion. It had seemed far to quiet to him all of a sudden. "How does a gym leader keep their Pokémon low-leveled enough to keep the matches fair? Do they exchange Pokémon once one gets too strong to battle challengers?"

The idea had just occurred to him, but it seemed a very curious matter indeed. Gym leaders did get a lot of challenges, and most of them ended in the Leader's favor. It would make sense that their Pokémon would eventually get to powerful to fight against normal trainers he reasoned to himself, listening politely for Mike's thoughts.

A young Pikachu shook water from its short yellow fur as it scurried through the grass, a ripe red apple clamped in its mouth as it bounded through the foliage. Small sparks danced on its cheeks as water conducted the stored up electricity on the two red spots, creating a fizzling sound as well. It bounded quickly past the trainer-bound Ekans, who ignored it entirely aside from a slight pause to avoid a collision.

"Pii pika," it mumbled in apology around the large fruit, turning partially around before continuing its headlong run.

The Ekans paid no heed, reptilian eyes welded to the two boys as they chatted companionably. It shifted its gaze from the one that it had helped earlier to the other one; it blinked expresionalessly, remembering how the grey-haired trainer had yelled at it worriedly and run off with the Pidgey tucking under his arm. Ekans was bewildered by his actions, especially since he had shown no further aggressive acts (other than fighting Spearow).

Abruptly, Grey peered over his shoulder again, this time squinting uneasily into the wet darkness before turning around. "Back at the river today, did you catch that Ekans?" he asked, shocked with himself that he hadn't asked. "You haven't mentioned it."