• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS EV Training Help!

I know how EV's work, and the whole '4 EVs to a stat' thing, but I'm having trouble getting it done fast.

I'm training a Bronzor for 106 SDef EVs. I'm on Route 2-Whatever fighting off tons of Tentacool. As you know, Bronzor is weak. I'm using the Exp. Share meathod, but it is slow going.

What I need to know is: Tell me there's a faster way!

AL
*Poof!*

Nemesis

Former Administrator
There are a few ways-

PokeRus, if you can get it is a condition Pokemon can have which doubles EV gain. If you can get a Pokemon with this and pass it on to your Bronzor, that will help.

The MachoBrace also doubles the amount of EVs you get whilst that Pokemon is holding it, you may have picked the item up randomly during the game.

You can also buy Power items from the Points Store near the battle tower, which give 4 points to their respective stat for every battle the Pokemon is in.

Just to clarify here, checked with chat.

Power items add 4 of the respective stat, and exp share DOES duplicate the EVs to the holder of the item as well.

Thats about it, the rest is right.

I personally go for the power item plus PokeRus, which'll give 10 to a stat instead of 1, if you use the power item in tandem with the same EV donor. Like the HP one with Bidoof and the Speed one with Starly. Then I just remove the item and beat them for the last two, four or six, etc.

And battle pokemon with Bronzor? It'd go even slower if I were to try the Power Brace out. I'm using the EXP. Share because Bronzor can't defend himself well.

Hence the slow-going.

AL
*Poof!*

There is a snag with the Exp. Share method. If the Pokemon isn't in the battle, it will only get half the EVs.

The best method is to do your first 100 from Zinc, then get yourself a Power Band. Then start each Tentacool battle with Bronzor and switch him out to a strong Pokemon. That way you will get the full 5EVs and will only have to fight 11 Tentacool to get him to 155. Just take off the Power Band and fight one more to bring it to 156. I had to do the exact same thing with my Misdreavus recently, and it only took me about 20minutes.

There is a snag with the Exp. Share method. If the Pokemon isn't in the battle, it will only get half the EVs.

The best method is to do your first 100 from Zinc, then get yourself a Power Band. Then start each Tentacool battle with Bronzor and switch him out to a strong Pokemon. That way you will get the full 5EVs and will only have to fight 11 Tentacool to get him to 155. Just take off the Power Band and fight one more to bring it to 156. I had to do the exact same thing with my Misdreavus recently, and it only took me about 20minutes.

Congrats, you've made me feel stupid. :p

That's a good thing. I just saw it on Serebii, so I'll do that. Thank you for your help.

Al
*Poof!*