• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Entry Hazard reliant team

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Breloom @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Poison Heal
-Superpower
-Seed Bomb
-Stone Edge
-Spore
4 HP
252 Atk
252 Spd

Rhyperior @ Leftovers / Passho Berry
Impish Nature
Solid Rock
-Earthquake
-Avalanche
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
252 HP
56 Def
200 Sp. Def

Claydol @ Light Clay
Careful Nature
Levitate
-Rapid Spin
-Light Screen
-Stealth Rock / Reflect
-Explosion / Reflect
252 HP
252 Sp. Def

Froslass @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
Snow Cloak
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Confuse Ray
-Spikes
252 Sp. Atk
252 Spd

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Thick Fat
-Crunch
-Whirlwind
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
252 Def
252 S. Def

Yanma @ Focus Sash
Jolly nature
Compound Eyes
-Hypnosis
-Screech
-U-turn
-Whirlwind
4 Def
252 Atk
252 Spd

Breloom is independant of the team, for the most part. I just needed a good lead pokemon, and spore helps the set up of Stealth Rock in some cases
Rhyperior is a heavy duty PHazer capable of taking hits from just about anything, including non-STAB physical grass attacks [seed bomb is quite popular nowadays I've learned]. I swap leftovers for a Passho berry when I can't have two leftovers on the team, since Dusknoir can't really work with anything else.
Claydol is my main set-up pokemon, and reliable guardian against special attackers. He doesn't use Stealth rock as much as Rhyperior since I reserve it to come out on a special attacker, but it seems I get more use out of having it available on two pokemon than I do with reflect.
Froslass Primary usage is blocking users of Rapid Spin from being of any use at all. When successful, I'm often given ample time to set up spikes. Seems to be very good at wrapping up the battle when all of my opponent's pokemon are weakened as well - The residual damage from SR and possibly spikes makes up for Froslass' low special attack base. Ice STAB isn't a bad thing either.
Dusknoir wasn't of much use during my testing, but I don't doubt it's power. A second option to block rapid spinners, and also a solution to pokemon who rely on attacks with only five PP who might otherwise be able to sweep through my team. It doesn't fit very well with my team overall, and I'm consdering swapping it out for a different ghost.
Snorlax See post below.
Yanma The flagship and inspiration for building this team. Hypnosis at 90% accuracy after compoundeyes, Screech or whirlwind on the next turn, depending on what I know about the opponent's team. Screech if I know there's nothing particularly weak to stealth rock and/or I think my opponent might switch to something slower than Yanma after putting their pokemon to sleep with Hypnosis. Whirlwind if I don't know much about my opponent's team, or I know of a pokemon particularly weak to stealth rock. U-turn will deal decent damage after screech, or just provide a light damage on something slower than me if I opt to whirlwind.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Not much that I can really advise, given that I discussed most of this with you last night in chat. :p

With regards to "Gaynoir," (Dusknoir, for anyone not aware of the name I gave that moveset) I think the reason I enjoy better success with him than either you (or Bal, for that matter, since he used my Gaynoir set himself a short while back) do is simply because he fits in better with my team. With the team I have, he fills a very important slot and plays a key role that none of my other team members can really replicate at all, whereas with your team, he doesn't quite fit in as well especially with Claydol being there as a Special wall already.

Since entry hazards are the order of the day with your team, something that forces switch-outs is really what you want most. Spiritomb could potentially take its place, running a set using moves like Sucker Punch and Pursuit to force the opponent into a difficult position, as well as status moves such as Hypnosis and Will-O-Wisp, the latter adding to residual damage caused by entry hazards as well as weakening any physical threats. Plus, he picks up Dusknoir's anti-spinner job very comfortably with his good defenses and zero weaknesses.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I could actually just replace it with my Cursing Dusknoir and get plenty of use out of it that way.. but Spiritomb's lack of weaknesses is very tempting given the triple ghost weakness I currently have on my team.

Both have very similar movepool, so I could use either with the same set XD

If nothing else I can slap someone with Perish Song, or another Roar/Whirlwind pokemon in. I'll go over a few different things and post them later.

[edit]

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Thick Fat
- Crunch
- Whirlwind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gengar counter, second special wall, and overall not useful beyond sponging attacks unless I have at least one set of spikes + Stealth Rock out.
On the other hand, if I have Stealth Rock and three Spikes out, Snorlax is quite possibly the best member of my team, only being KO'd by STAB, Physical fighting attacks and dealing 25-50% damage to a random pokemon with each whirlwind.