• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

English name guesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
The title is self explanatory. What do you think the English romanizations of the pokemon will be? I think some of them will go like this:

Pokabu: Pignite/ Burnoink/ Pigreflare
Chaobu: Hogreflare
Emboar: Boareflare/ Flaroink/ Emboar (good name).

Mijumaru: Wotter (lol)/ Otterqua (make it roll off the toungue)
Futachimaru: Samurotter/ Shinotter/Shinoqua
Daikenki: Poseidotter/ Tritorai (Like Triton and Samurai)

Monozu: Chagon (Pronounced Kay-gon)/ Draoss
Jiheddo: Necrodos (like Dos (2) and necro (dark))/ Abygon (like abyss and dragon)
Sazando: Hydrark/ Wyvergro (like Wyvern and negro (Spanish for black).

Okay, your turn. Now remember, these are only guesses, so don't flame others if you don't like their ideas.

Hihidaruma: Darumape
Jaroda: Arisnake (Aristocrat + Snake)
Genosect: Genosect (Don't fix what ain't broken)
Ranpuraa: Lampeer (Lamp + Eerie)

Hihidaruma: Cyndaruma (Cynder + daruma, too similar to Toastie's idea for its own good)
Hiyakki: Hydrokey (Hydro + Monkey)
Baokki: Pyrokey (Pyro + Monkey)
Yanakki: Botanokey (Botana + Monkey, you can probably see the pattern)
Desukan: Sarcophantom (Sarcophagus + Phantom)
Meguroko: Sandodile (or Sandile if you prefer)
(I'm following a 3 musketeers theme for the next few)
Kobaruon: Porthosteel
Terakion: Aramistone
Birijion: Athoscent (Trying to come up with a better one)
(the above can be mixed around at will, these were just what fitted best to me)
Kerudio: D'Aquagnan (it makes sense, but doesn't at the same time, better ideas?)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Somehow I don't think they'll fuck with the legendaries' names. They haven't renamed a legendary since Generation One. It's safe to assume the legendaries will remain under their Japanese names. They might get a weird spelling though.

A few other species I can imagine not changing their names are Yorterrie, Archen/Archaeos, Zorua and Zoroark, Emonga (the Pikachu clones NEVER get renamed either), Wargle and Iront.

As for guesses for English names... All I can really think of is Wickat (Wicked + Cat) for Choroneko an Panterror (Panther + Terror) or Leopardash (Leopard + Dash) for.... well.... Leopardas. xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Stel forgot about Yuxie, Agnome and Emrit becoming Uxie, Azelf and Mespirit.

Seeing as how difficult it is to pronounce the Raijin trio's names, I see them getting dubbed names as well. Most of the other Legendaries have names that can either stay as they are or get corrupted slightly but retain phonetic similarities ala Buoysel becoming Buizel.

also

Hitomoshi -> Luminox (Luminate + Nox, Latin for twilight)
Ranpuraa -> Noctern (Nocturne + Lantern)
Shanderaa -> Chandelare (Chandelier + Glare)

Shinpora -> Nazcrow (Nazca + Crow? x3)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
RX: Yeah, I did forget psychic midget patrol, but that's because they're hugely forgettable in general.

And just what is so difficult about Tornaros, Boltros and Landros? >>;

....oh that's what it was :x

[me=RX]is shot[/me]

My bad; that didn't click right away in my head for some reason xD

And speaking of name changes, I'm kind of hoping some of the new abilities and attacks' names stick. Much like the names of the Pokemon, the attacks and abilities also have a character limit, yeah? I can at least hope Leaf Mixer, Shell Blade and Nitro Charge remain unchanged; those three attacks are fine as they are imo. On the other hand, Grass, Water and Fire Oath sound kind of odd, if not mildly threatening.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Grass Mixer, technically, but whatever. XD And yeah, I am hoping Grass Mixer/Shell Blade/Nitro Charge remain the same myself. ^^

I suppose the oath moves might get changed, yeah. Sounds too close like a potentially religious reference for comfort for those let's-dumb-down-the-dialogue freaks at NoA. XD

For the starters:
Pokabu/Pigire
Mijumaru/Wavotter
Tsutaaja/ Ivake

Now for random:
Mamepato/ Dovidgon
Chiiraamii/ Chinchii
Shimama/ Zebren
Meguroko/ Sandoco

Yay for fail names

A

Anonymous

A lot of people I know think Tsutaja's English name is going to be Smugleaf.

Smugleaf for the win!

I hope that Desukan's english name will be Deathkan/Deathcan, coz it would be totally awesome. Death in a can is just so catchy ^^ Also I hope that Futachimaru will be Samurotter, it just sounds awesome and nice.

Meguruko second form= Barneydile

Smugleaf is just a bad meme going around because Tsutaja looks so smug(and leaf 'cos he's grass >>), but it's really hard NOT to be that smug when your final evolution DOESN'T look like a hideously mutated freak :x

I honestly have no idea what any of the English names will be, though, I did have this horrible nightmare where Shimama's english name was Shocari.... :<

*snorts* *cracks up* *rolls on the floor laughing*

Great, now I have the image of a Shocari head on my favorite Gen V Pokemon.

As for the named of mah Shimama, I can think of the simple, catchy Zolt.

Meguroko = Crocodas (Hippopotas) or Crocodie (Cause of the dark typing)

Yeah, that's all I can think of right now.

I doubt Smugleaf would even be considered as a name anyways. It's just a memetic Fan Nickname, not something to be taken so seriously. And also if they made its English name that then I couldn't nickname it Smugleaf D:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Guys, guys, this thread is derailing. This is for English Name Guesses, not whether or not Tsutarja is going to be named after a 4chan meme - which it isn't so that's kind of a
Horatio.png
moot point. (YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!)

And if you really know any Nintendo Employees, tell them to hurry the fuck up. >>;

Well, DrP is a Nintendo employee--sort of. He worked on squashing bugs in the English version of White Version recently... but he can't reveal anything or Nintendo will go all "GRR" on him.

He joined as a result of me telling him I had posted my story here as well as NSM (link in signature, PLEASE READ! ;D)

I make up some really retarted names for stuff sometimes, but I'm pretty sure you guys are smart enough not to flame.
Tsutaja: Jurnaleef (I am certain that I'm not the only one who thinks this sounds like "Journal Leaf")
Jyanobii: Turrel (I just think it looks like something that would be called like that)
Jaroda: Floraconda (I think this one sounds pretty badass)

Shimama >> Zebolt
A cross between 'Zebra' and 'Bolt'

Meguroko >> Repdiesert
'Reptile', 'Die, and 'Desert'

Pokabu >> Piglight
My fail name made from 'Pig' and 'Light'

I think they'll also leave Yorterrie's name alone because it doesnt really need any changing.

Yep, those are all my fail name guesses :p

NO NEED TO GUESS ANY LONGER! I FOUND A WEBSITE WITH THE ENGLISH NAMES RELEASED IN EUROPE. THEY GOT THE SAME NAMES WE WILL GET! HERE'S THE LINKhttp://pokebeach.com/

While we thank you for your enthusiasm, the fact of the matter is that this is a long dead topic; Almost 3 months long even. I will have to warn you for gravedigging. You might also like to know that we are already covering this in the news forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.