• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Emerald is coming and the Moltres is getting fat.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
So, with Emerald just around the bendy corner, what are you most looking forward to? Battle Frontier? That great story-line? The Pokecharms Colour Scheme? Maybe the Johto Pokemon that have crept in there?

This is the definitive Emerald topic until it's release. So discuss anything/everything related to what you're expecting/looking forward to from this, the most Pokecharms of all games.

I'm looking forward to Emerald more than I've ever looked forward to a Pokémon game (except maybe LeafGreen)! The Battle Frontier looks like the most awesome addition to a special edition yet. I can't wait to test my mettle against those trainers with rented Pokémon, and to finally lay my entire collection of 386 to rest.

I've seen better animations on the bottom of my shoe, but then again, they do have to animate 386 different Pokémon, and they've put the sprite transformation (stretching and moving of the image) to good use. I guess we've got almost a year to go, so here's to hoping time flies!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I don't really know if i can get excited for Emerald over Fire Red. I do happen to love Fire Red to bits. It is turning out to be a good improvement on R/S though so i'm definitely looking forward to it's UK release. That, however, wont be until Next Summer i'd say. Spring at the earliest.

Really, Emerald is shaping up to be something that the DS is bound to be used for a lot upon release. A great chance to get something out of it's GBA compatability.

There's also a possibility that like Oracle of Ages/Seasons for the GBC, the game will know that it's in the DS and will give you some extra functions. We know the DS CAN do this, we were tolded.

I don't think I can say that the buzz has worked on me. sure they'll be great games in their own right but I can't shake the feeling I've seen this before (1996). Better character development and characterisation would really make pokemon games stand out.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Character development isn't really possible though. Not for the main characters who really have no personality as they're meant to be nothing more than avatars for you when playing through the game. If they gave your main character a real personality it would kinda destroy the effect of it being you playing as you.

The Rivals in R/S suck though. No way can they compare to the original man himself or the G/S/C Rival - who without a doubt is probably the most developed character across any of the games.

More Rival Battles would be better too - and more Wally for that matter. We don't get to see nearly enough of him as we should.

I'm pretty excited over Emerald, mostly because I recently developed a bit of a Rayquaza fixation, and since I actually trained a Flygon and realized the thing really isn't as amazing as I imagined.

Fire Red I'm nearly having a seizure over though, as I was extremely fond of the IMPORTED GAME I played, even if the damn thing ran at about 50% speed on my crap GBA. I really, really want it, but I probably won't be able to get it until my birthday (October), since I'm saving up for combat/motorcycle boots. T_______T

Doctor Oak said:
The Rivals in R/S suck though. No way can they compare to the original man himself or the G/S/C Rival - who without a doubt is probably the most developed character across any of the games.

Yeah, I was playing through Crystal again out of boredom, and I really realized how borderline-evil Silver is. Likewise, Green is a bit of a git. I love 'im though ^_^ Brendan and May are just BORING by comparison.

(Edit: Guess what you can't talk about here? :wink: -Doc Oak)

Mmmm, the level of character interaction I would like might be too hard to do on the GBA. The master challange project could do it though, if the battling is based on the anime the characters could be deeper etc like in the anime.

Whoa! way OT

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Tends to happen a lot round here. Doesn't really matter too much so long as we don't wander off onto completely stupid or random tangents.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
[quote name='"QuagsireQing"]There's a good chance we may see more of Wally in Emerald. I believe that in the manga series' date=' Wally represents Emerald.[/quote']

Argh... I want that manga ;_;

Anyways, I'm very excited about Emerald and can't wait to see more about it. The revamped plot is definitely a high point, but all the extra stuff sounds awesome, too. I love animations :D

Don't even get me started on FR/LG, tho. It's killer trying to survive the days until they're released. And I saw a pic of the Canadian promo backpack... I NEED IT, DAMMIT!!! >_

Don't fret over these last 11 days, Raichu. If the waiting gets you down, just think of all those poor people in New York City who have to get their copies tomorrow. :lol:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
[quote name='"QuagsireQing"]Don't fret over these last 11 days' date=' Raichu. If the waiting gets you down, just think of all those poor people in New York City who have to get their copies tomorrow. :lol:[/quote']

... You make me want to cry :evil:

I think it'd be more comforting to think of the poor fools who miss picking up their games. It's the perfect punishment for being lazy :wink:

(Side note, going back to the topic of Wally.)

It's not Wally that represents Emerald in the manga, it's Max. (Yeah, I know.) I found this out a few days ago but forgot to post it.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
They're called Wonder Spots outside of japan. I think. Something like that.

Basically you link up to a Wonder Spot or whatever it is and you can have a wider range of communication. It's essentially a booster for your Wireless Communicator.

It also happens to be able to give you some funky stuff.

Expect at least one in America in New York. Who knows about any more though.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I saw a pic on PokeDen the other day and I wanted to confirm it...

Battle Frontier doesn't have a new set of Gym leaders, does it? :shock:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Not quite like Mount Battle. Each Leader battles with the style of that Area of the Frontier. So they're sort of like the Orange Crew in a weird way.

Between the Sevii Islands and Battle Frontier, i believe Gamefreak have successfully managed to sneak enough of the Orange Islands elements that some fans have called for.

Mind you, considering the Orange Islands in the anime was basically a long-winded and sneaky version of the Elite 4, it's been in the games all the time.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
Mind you, considering the Orange Islands in the anime was basically a long-winded and sneaky version of the Elite 4, it's been in the games all the time.

Woah. I never really thought of them that way XD

That's all pretty cool, though. It adds a lot more depth to my original image of the Battle Frontier. I think I'm looking forward to Emerald more than I did FR/LG :D

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Not many have thought of it that way. ^^ That's why most people still do cry out for the Orange Islands in the games. Now if you see anyone still complaining (They normally come out around the time of a new release, give it until Gen 4 :wink: ), you can tell them that they're already in the game and in a way, always have been. ^^

Though, i'd quite like to see Orange Island style Gym Matches in the form of mini-games. We know they could put mini-games into the game as you can play them in the Union Room. What i want is the next Games Corner to have them properly. ^^