• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Eight and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claire sighed. The boat would be pulling into the Vermillion docks within the hour. "Mom called via computer chat last night. Turns out, she doesn't want me going on the Indigo Journey. I'm not letting her stop me this time. Gabrielle, my little sister, has been begging me to go so she could rise up to the challenge to beat me someday." She let out a small laugh. "I have a plan, of course. But I don't know if it's going to work. Mom's gonna be furious when she finds out I left, but it's not like she cared about my sister and I much more than Dad. After he walked out, she just wasn't the same."

JayJay perked up at the talk of sibling rivalry, a grin coming back to his lips. He listened closely and nodded once she finished. JayJay realized they were running out of time aboard the ship, and that this would be a fun night once they arrived.

"Alright, so what's the plan? You know I'll help with whatever you need" His Cyndaquil let out a small battle cry to sound the affirmative. "See, Cyndaquil's gonna help, too"

"Alright, so what's the plan? You know I'll help with whatever you need" The small Cyndaquil let out a cry. "See, Cyndaquil's gonna help, too," JayJay told her.

"What I plan to do is give my mother a letter that I've left back in my cabin for now. I'll leave it before I head out tonight. We have to leave at nightfall or I won't be able to get out of here. Vermillion is nothing but forest around it, so surely we can camp out in a tree or something overnight until we can head out of here.

"What I'll need you to do is wait outside, somewhere hidden, until I can come out. Mom will probably be asleep, but I don't want to risk Gabrielle seeing you out her window. Once the coast is clear, I'll come out. From there, we run.

"It would probably be best if we set our goal to Pewter City. Surely we can get a hand finding a flight there," Claire concluded.

"It would probably be best if we set our goal to Pewter City. Surely we can get a hand finding a flight there," Claire concluded. JayJay nodded and stretched a bit.

"Why fly when we can explore? It's not like they'll be able to catch us" He chuckles as he sees the dock come into view

"Alright,should I not come to your house until later, or should I go with you to your house?" He inquires with a child-like sense of wonder

Claire paused, wondering at what would be the best choice to JayJay's question. "Whichever you want to do. It doesn't matter to me." Claire stood up, straightening her shirt. "I've got to go grab my bags. If you want to come with me, meet me at the Pokemon Center. I'll see you then if you come. If not, then I'll meet up with you tonight."

"Here, we'll meet you at the north end of town tonight, just so your mother doesn't have any hint about the plan. Um . . . North is the right way, yeah?" JayJay askes, getting up and adjusting his bag. A sense of vigor floods him as he sees his new friend get ready for their adventure

Claire nodded. Take that road, and it'll also lead you to the underground tunnel. That tunnel is famous for connecting Cerulean City and Vermillion together. I have to go now. Mom's gonna be waiting. I'll come out as soon as I can. Be out by, at least, ten. I'll be there somewhere around that time."

(OCC: FF)

JayJay checked his PokeGear and saw it was 9:40. He nodded to his buddy Cyndaquil. He checked his bag and withdrew a Pokemon Egg, the surprise from his brother waiting at the Pokemon Center. His anticipation grew as he decided to head to the northern town gate and wait for Claire.

"Did you have a good day, Cyndaquil?" JayJay asked his little buddy as they walk along. Cyndaquil let out a cry and danced for joy, then climbed up to his shoulder.

"Nine-forty." Claire had been constantly checking her clock, hoping that the night would proceed faster. She had gathered all the belongings she needed with her and put them in her bag. Looking outside, she could just barely see JayJay from the window. That was good news to her, meaning that her mother had no clue what she had been planning. She browsed over the letter that she would leave for her mother.

"Mother,
I can't let you control my destiny. I know I'm meant to go on a Pokemon Journey, but I also know I can't go alone. I have chose to leave tonight without a word to stop you from stopping me. I will give my goodbyes to Gabrielle, and my goodbye to you through this letter. My partner has agreed to meet with me tonight, and by the time you get this we'll be outside of Vermillion already. I won't wait for my life to pass while you keep me at home. Money for the sitter is saved in my checking account. I wish you luck in life, as I hope you wish for luck in mine.
With love,
Claire Powell"

The clock in the foyer dinged, meaning that it was finally ten o'clock. As her mother proceeded off to bed, Claire left a note on the kitchen table. She went to open the door until Gabrielle pulled at her shirt.

"Big sister, where are you going?"

"To fulfill my destiny, Gabrielle. To challenge the Elite, like you wanted to do when you got old enough."

"To be the best!"

Claire laughed. "To be the best. I have to go or Mommy won't let me. Please don't tell her where I'm headed, Gabrielle."

"I promise, Sister. But, is Growlie staying with you?"

"Yeah. I need him with me. When he comes back, he'll be a stronger puppy. You'll probably be able to ride him by then."

Gabrielle giggled in joy. "Big sister, I have a special present for you."

"What's that?"

Gabrielle motioned for Claire to follow her. In her room, an egg was hidden in her closet and wrapped in blankets. Claire gasped. "It was in a bush and I found it. I've been taking really good care of it, Claire! Now, you take it as a present from me and make the Pokemon inside big and strong! Mommy won't let me keep it if she finds it."

"I promise I'll hatch it and train it for you, Gabby."

"Thank you, Big Sister. Go find your friend! I'll watch out for Mommy."

Claire smiled, then took the egg into her arms. She kissed Gabrielle on the forehead and hurried out the door with the wrapped egg in hand.

JayJay deposited his egg back in his bag and stretched out a bit, letting Cyndaquil rest on his shoulder, his Growlithe in his Pokeball and his heart almost beating in his throat due to the anticipation. he say Claire coming his way and waved her over.

"Hey, how are you? You ready?" He almost seemed jittery and totally looked ready to rock and roll. He noticed she was holding an Egg. "Oh, Coool! Who gave you that?"

Claire smiled with pride of her newly obtained egg. "I'm doing fine, though I'm wanting to get out of Vermillion in a hurry. I got everything I could take with me, including the few Pokemon I had at home." Claire glanced down at the egg, then back to JayJay. "My younger sister, Gabrielle, gave it to me. Said she found it abandoned outside and cared for it. The little devil. I'm amazed at how long she kept it from Mom. Then again, she's very sneaky." Claire smiled.

She took out a photo of her and her sister that was hidden within the blanket. The two were obviously at least seven years apart in age but they looked almost exactly alike. They weren't twins, however. "Mom used to say that by the time she gets to my age now that the resemblance could be almost uncanny. Of course, by that time, I'll be an adult with some age on me." Claire joked at her feeling old compared to Gabrielle.

JayJay chuckled and motioned for her to get moving. He was almost bouncing with excitement at this point. He figured he'd show her his Egg later after they found a place to camp for the night. He looked at the moon as they left the city, reminded as usual of his brother and their ultimate game.

"I'm ready" He spoke mostly to himself, but Claire and his Cyndaquil could both hear him. He looked at Claire and nodded with a kind smile.

"You ready?"

Claire wrapped the egg back up in a blanket and turned back to JayJay.

"I'm ready," he said softly, but enough for her to hear. He looked over to her and nodded, smiling. "You ready?"

Claire glanced up at the moon, feeling it's brilliance wash over her. "If you're there, I'll always be." She figured the two would probably have to camp out in the forest for the night, being that the only nearby inn was in Vermillion.

Reassured even more by her words, he lead the way into the forest of the route. He could hear the nocturnal Pokemon and was anxious to see what kinds lived around here. As they walked along, his Cyndaquil seemed even more timid than usual, almost to the point of being terrified.

"What's wrong, buddy? You okay?" He asked his Cyndaquil, who was trying to hide in the back of his vest. He tried to remove his Cyndaquil, and in doing so failed to notice the two figure in dark clothes up ahead of them, with red "R"s on their shirts

Claire glanced up ahead and caught a brief flash of the Rs on the shirts of two upcoming strangers. She gripped her egg tightly. "JayJay," she whispered. "We've got company up ahead."

JayJay hears Claire and looked ahead, his flare and excitement bursted over into a psyched battle frenzy as the Rocket Grunts come into view. He pulled out Cyndaquil and rested him on his shoulder, then withdraw and donned his wristbands.

"Oh yeah! Think of it, Claire, we get to pummel Rocket Grunts to mark the start of our adventure!" He looked at her with a joyful and infectious smile as he withdraw his Growlithe Pokeball.

Claire wasn't wanting to take the chance of injuring her ankle once more, but knew she might need to fight back. She pulled a Pokeball from her pocket and held it in her hand.

"If we beat you once, we can do it again. Leave now, or you're gonna get what's coming to you." She tried to remain calm, knowing getting all fired up was what caused trouble last time around. The two grunts came into view and it was obvious that they were hardcore.

The Rocket Grunts withdrew their Pokeballs and called out two new Pokemon. A Raticate and a Muk. JayJay grined and sent his Cyndaquil forward, a cool breeze blew through the trees as the full moon rose high over their battlefield. He looked to Claire with a kind and excited smile.

"We'll let the Pokemon do the fighting this time, eh? You ready?" JayJay asked her, his hand on her shoulder

As the two grunts walked into the moonlit walkway, two Pokemon were released from their balls and sent onto the battlefield. As a Raticate and Muk entered the stage, Claire saw JayJay send out his Cyndaquil. She was unsure if it was safe fighting, being that she wanted to get away from Vermillion by dawn, until JayJay put a hand to her shoulder.

"We'll let the Pokemon do the fighting this time, eh? You ready?" JayJay asked her.

In reassurance, she sent out her Growlithe. "Give me a hand, Growlithe, and take the stage!"

The two trainer sent out an attack command simultaneously and the battle began. With only the moon as their audience, JayJay felt inspired and ready for battle.

"Muk, Sludge Bomb!" The first Grunt called out with a cool and calm tone. He looked to his comrade who seemed much more tense

"Raticate, Hyper Fang! Now!" The second Rocket Grunt yelled out with impatience as he stomped his foot.

"Cyndaquil, dodge and use Ember!" JayJay called out, but it was too late, the hyper fang hit. Cyndaquil cried out, then used Ember on Raticate.

"Muk, Sludge Bomb!" The grunt held out his hand in the direction of Claire's Growlithe. The purple Pokemon released a large glob of sludge at Growlithe and hit. The Growlithe was caught in the gooey mess.

"Yuck..." Claire said under her breath. "Growlithe, try to get yourself out of there with your Flame Wheel!" From underneath the sludge, a red tint began to appear and dispersed the material. Claire narrowly missed a patch of it that landed next to her. "That is so gross. Bleh."

The grunt pulled his hat down a bit and then called out, "Muk, use Poison Gas!" He covered his mouth and nose with a cloth as the Pokemon formed the gas from its hands.

Claire quickly removed her scarf and tossed it to JayJay. "Take it, quickly!" She tore some of the spare blanket around the egg off and covered the lower part of her face with it.

The Raticate took the ember hit and dissapeared behind a wall of smoke for a moment

"Raticate, Slam!" The second Grunt called out and the rat Pokemon burst from the cloud, charging Cyndaquil. The trainer stomped impatiently as the attack landed on Cyndaquil. Cyndaquil let out a cry of pain, but held tough

"Now, Cyndaquil, show that Raticate your Extrasensory!" JayJay called out just before he saw Claire's scarf being flung into his hands. He looked and saw the Muk making the poison gas.

"Cyndaquil, hold your breath!" JayJay exclaimed "Don't attack yet!"

Cyndaquil did as instructed and held his breath while waiting for the poison gas. JayJay covered his mouth and nose with the scarf

The air was now filled with a purple mist, only slightly transparent by the moonlight radiating down on them. Claire was sure that the Pokemon wouldn't last too long in their current conditions. If the two of them ended up with the poisoning, it'd be a different story than a poisoned Pokemon. The grunt had intended for this to happen.

Claire turned to JayJay. "We need to get out of here," she murmured from behind the blanket. She pointed her hand back to Vermilion City. "We can take refuge in the forest overnight if necessary. Our Pokemon won't last long under these conditions, and neither will we being exposed."

JayJay heard Claire but already had a plan made to get them out of this mess. He tried to concentrate for a moment, then his eyes opened wide and he called out with a triumphant voice.

"Cyndaquil, use Extrasensory! Blow these goons away!" And Cyndaquil responded by crying out, a ring of blue energy came from the crown of his head and pulsed off in a wave, clearing the gas away and slamming into the two Rocket Pokemon. The force KO'D the Raticate and this sent it's trainer into a frenzy of stomping and kicking the dirt. JayJay removed Claire's scarf from his mouth and nose to breath properly.

"Way to go, Cyndaquil!" JayJay called out and ran up to his Pokemon

"Cyndaquil, use Extrasensory! Blow these goons away!" Watching the attack alone, Claire was speechless at the sudden power in the tiny Pokemon. She pulled the cloth from her mouth and breathed the fresh air.

"Well, I'll be a Mankey's uncle. The guy's got some background with that Cyndaquil. That's for sure," she thought to herself.

"Way to go, Cyndaquil!" JayJay ran up to its Pokemon in joy.

Claire smiled and leaned up against a nearby tree. "Keep training it like that and you'll have enough friendship in that Pokemon for it to evolve." She glanced up at the moonlight. There was still plenty of time until dawn. Claire, who was still holding her egg, gently re-wrapped the egg. "Great job today, Growlithe. I'll be sure to get us to a resting spot soon." The Pokemon barked and returned to its Pokeball.

The other Grunt recalled his extremely weakened Muk and pulled the other into a retreat. The two disappeared and only the scorch marks on the ground from the Flame Wheel and Ember attacks were proof of the battle. The moonlight shown brightly on our two heroes Claire and JayJay as Cyndaquil climbed up onto JayJay's shoulder and he walked over to Claire to give her back her scarf.

"We make a great team, don't you think, Claire?" JayJay inquired, a kind smile on his face

Claire gladly accepted the scarf back and wrapped it around her neck again. She gently pet the Cyndaquil as her thanks for getting them out of the situation.

"We make a great team, don't you think, Claire?" He smiled.

She returned his smile. "Of course we do. We've made it this far, and we haven't even gotten a single badge yet." She laughed. "We need to get a place to rest for the night. Either we take the route to Cerulean and hopefully be there by dawn, or we can make a small base in the forest and rest there. What do you think?"

"We need to get a place to rest for the night. Either we take the route to Cerulean and hopefully be there by dawn, or we can make a small base in the forest and rest there. What do you think?" JayJay thought about this for a moment before deciding they should try to make it as far as possible before making a camp.

"I say we get moving to Cerulean, and make a camp if we have to stop from fatigue. We have a good chance, it's not even midnight yet." JayJay pointed out, then stretched a bit before motioning for Claire to have the lead, his Cyndaquil mimicking him from his shoulder

"Ladies first"

Claire nodded. As they continued on the route, she had many different thoughts pass her mind. Thoughts about the journey, about her family, and even about her partner. The moon was full, and the open lands were lit up with the moonlight. Trees with dew glimmered. The few trainers out on the open road were stargazing. Nocturnal Pokemon where out in the open grass and in the trees. Above, a flock of Pidgeys were headed south. It only meant that it was beginning to enter Autumn. It was true that the nights were getting slightly colder, but not much to notice. Claire wore a scarf in case one night turned to chilly.

Though, while she was thinking, she reflected back on her cruise. About all the regions she had visited. Getting to stop by Johto had been a special trip. On the seventh day of her trip, right after the stop in the Johto region, she happened to come across Professor Elm's nephew. He gave her all sorts of information on Pokemon from Johto that she had never heard of. Said he wanted to become a Pokemon Trainer in the Kanto region before Johto. She hoped to meet up with him again someday. Maybe he'd be a part of the Elite before she got there. The two had become friends in such a short amount of time.

Pushing the thought to the back of her mind, the two had reached the building that led to the Underground Road to Cerulean.

As they walked, JayJay dreamed of what it would be like to compete in the Silver conference some day, all the trainers he'd meet along the way and all the new Pokemon he'd meet. He wondered what kind of team he'd have and how many badges before they were as strong as they could be. thoughts of all the challenges ahead of him danced in his mind, but nothing more so than the thought of what it would be like to challenge his brother someday. His brother had only a Cyndaquil the last time he saw him, but he knew how strong a trainer his brother was and how quickly he could train a team of very strong Pokemon. He thought he could almost think no more when the two trainers came upon a building.

"Huh, what's this" JayJay asked, curious as to what a building was doing in the middle of the route. His Cyndaquil looked closely at the building and cocked his head.

"This leads to the Underground Road, which connects us straight to Cerulean City. The regular walkway leads to the town up ahead of us, but this lets us go under that town and straight to Cerulean instead. Cerulean is the home of Misty, the water leader, but we may need to catch a flight to Pewter City."

"Oh, alright then, whaddaya say Cyndaquil? You ready to go into The tunnel?" JayJay asked the tiny Pokemon who replied with a soft and joyful cry. JayJay moved to open the door and after doing so, allowed Claire to head in first.

"SO, Who's Gym is in Pewter?" JayJay questioned Claire, trying to think about what to prepare for

"So, who's gym is in Pewter?"

The two entered the tunnel. It was brightly lit, compared to the gentle moonlit scene outside, and was a simple straight path.

"Brock. A solid rock type leader. Enough said."

"Brock. A solid rock type leader. Enough said." Claire replied. JayJay closed the door behind them and began to walk with Claire. He thought a moment about the serious type disadvantage he was at right now were he to go up against Brock.

"Hm, that's gonna be tough . . ." He withdraw his Growlithe Pokeball and called out his Pokemon. After the beam of energy materialized into his Jolly Ol' Growlithe, he deposited the Pokeball in his bag and continued thinking. His Cyndaquil jumped on Growlithe and rode him like a horse. The two Pokemon began to run around a bit. When JayJay withdrew the Pokeball, the Egg was visible to Claire, and again when he deposited it.

At JayJay's thought of the battle, she replied, "I have a Pokemon that could become useful in the fight if I could evolve it." She sighed at the thought. "If that's even possible at this point in time."

As Jay opened his bag, she took note of the egg. "You have one too?" she said curiously, then turned back to the road ahead of them. They'd reach the end soon, and that also meant they would be able to get to a resting spot soon as well.

JayJay heard her speak of a Pokemon that could help and her comment about his egg. He turned to her and nodded while the two Pokemon continued playing.

"What Pokemon, and why can't you evolve it? Oh, yeah, It was a gift from my brother. He sent it to the Vermillion City Pokemon Center" JayJay asked and answered Claire

"What Pokemon, and why can't you evolve it? Oh, yeah, It was a gift from my brother. He sent it to the Vermilion City Pokemon Center."

"The Pokemon I have is a Magikarp, and I've had the hardest time getting it to evolve. If it could, then it would evolve into a Gyarados. It would set us a win easily."

Claire sighed. Magikarps were extremely hard to evolve. It took heavily dedicated trainers to have one evolve. Getting a Gyarados overnight was impossible, and it would be only one day until they reached Pewter by air. Most likely three by night if they took the long route, and that was if they were lucky.

"Once we get out of here, we'll need to catch a flight to Pewter. Trust me. Taking the long way is going to take us far too long, if it's even possible."

JayJay was intrigued by the thought of a Gyrados under Claires care. He though of his own team, then how hard it would be for either of them to get a badge. They would need to train before challenging Brock, big time.

"Alright, how about we train up a ton before we each take on Brock? Cyndaquil, Growlithe and I can help you Growlithe, and Magikarp and vise versa, that way we both get stronger and both have a better chance at winning our first badges. We can both better prepare for our fights if we help each other train"

"Alright, how about we train up a ton before we each take on Brock? Cyndaquil, Growlithe and I can help you Growlithe, and Magikarp and vise versa, that way we both get stronger and both have a better chance at winning our first badges. We can both better prepare for our fights if we help each other train."

She thought it over carefully. "Thing is, though," she started, "we're still at a huge disadvantage with the team we have now. We're still pretty new trainers. Tell you what? Tonight, I'll find a local PC and see if I can send in a favor to someone. If I can, we may have some better odds. But we'll have to wait until morning for any results. Okay? You're going to have to trust me on this one."

Claire winked at JayJay, then briefly took the lead. She opened the door to the exit and both headed out.

"Go straight from here and you'll make it to Cerulean."

JayJay nodded and exited the tunnel, then waited for Claire to get out as his two, now exhausted, Pokemon came out. It was almost midnight and he could feel the strain of fatigue beginning to wear on him. Once Claire was out, he looked to her for confirmation that the city ahead was Cerulean.

"That's where we wanna go, right?" He asked, his eyelids getting a bit heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.