• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Eeveelution Rotation Tournament - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
As some of you may know, Japan held a GBU tournament last year that consisted of (if I remember correctly) Rotation Battles where players could only use the Eeveelutions and nothing else. Since the Eeveelutions are very popular with pretty much every community, the idea isn't altogether serious and is just a bit of fun for everyone and can also be done over Wi-Fi quite easily (something we've had a severe lack of this generation here specifically,) I figured why not hold this same tournament here on 'Charms at some point after the Doubles Tournament ends to wrap up Gen V on a high note.

Discuss.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm not sure if you can. Plus I'd have preferred to do this on Wi-Fi simply because we've not done anything on Wi-Fi for this generation.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
King of Lucario said:
Plus I'd have preferred to do this on Wi-Fi simply because we've not done anything on Wi-Fi for this generation.

This~

I'd need some time to create a team but I think I'd be down for a tournament like this. I've always wanted to EV train a bundle of Eeveelutions anyways and this would give me a perfect excuse to do so.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I should probably state that this tournament wouldn't be held for a while if I did decide to give it the go-ahead. I've mentioned it now to give people time to prepare for it where necessary as well as to see whether people would be up for it. You're probably looking at a good 6 months before I decide to actually do this, depending on whether people would compete in it or not.

Also, if Rotation is not your thing then feel free to suggest a battle type you'd prefer. I figured Rotation was pretty popular, but if the majority would prefer something else it can be changed.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Can't speak for everyone, but I'd enjoy doing Rotation battles for this. The last time I tried to put together a Rotation battle tournament we had maybe... 2 people enter beyond myself? Yeaaah...

Giving a second go at one would be nice. ;x

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Rotation Eeveelutions actually sounds pretty fun. Colour me interested.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I would be interested in doing this. I already have quite a few EV'd Eeveelutions anyways. And if it's not going to be for months, I should be able to take part.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Glad to see this has had a positive response from everyone.

Just to point out a few things:

- This will definitely be a Wi-Fi tournament. This is NOT negotiable in any way.

- Unless a lot of people suddenly decide they don't want it, Rotation will be the format used for this.

- This tournament isn't due to start for an extremely long time, about 6+ months. If preparation time was a worry for you, then it shouldn't be now that you have around half a year to make a team.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I highly recommend that anyone interested in this tournament does their breeding via Black 2/White 2 as opposed to Black/White. For those who don't already know, giving one parent an Everstone in B2W2 when breeding will 100% guarantee that the parent's nature will pass down to the babies. It makes IV breeding a helluva less headachey, and I'm happy to assist anyone who needs help obtaining Eevee with the correct natures for breeding.

I think the way abilities are passed down has also changed somewhat in B2W2 but you won't need to worry about that for this tournament. I'm pretty sure that female Eevee with a Hidden Ability are still not legally obtainable, but someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Linkachu said:
I'm pretty sure that female Eevee with a Hidden Ability are still not legally obtainable, but someone correct me if I'm wrong!
If I'm not mistaken, I think they are; I believe Anticipation Eevee are a rare drop in most Hidden Grottos, with variable gender.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Teapot said:
Linkachu said:
I'm pretty sure that female Eevee with a Hidden Ability are still not legally obtainable, but someone correct me if I'm wrong!
If I'm not mistaken, I think they are; I believe Anticipation Eevee are a rare drop in most Hidden Grottos, with variable gender.

You are correct, but I don't fully understand Serebii's info regarding that. They have a specific date listed for availability in Japan but nothing for outside of Japan. Does that mean that we've always had the chance to encounter female Eevee (no event required) or that it's not currently available outside of Japan? So confused right now. XD

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Linkachu said:
You are correct, but I don't fully understand Serebii's info regarding that. They have a specific date listed for availability in Japan but nothing for outside of Japan. Does that mean that we've always had the chance to encounter female Eevee (no event required) or that it's not currently available outside of Japan? So confused right now. XD
Normal Hidden Grotto drops have no relation to events - apparently Japan got Funfest missions that modified the Grottos while on the mission, much like the usual one. Our Eevee drops won't be affected by that at all :)

EDIT: Okay, I've just looked at Serebii and Bulbapedia - neither say Eevee drops in Hidden Grottos, which is weird. Marriland's walkthroughs say there are Eevees in several grottos, including the Giant Chasm one. But I've never personally found much of value in a Hidden Grotto, so I have no idea!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
As far as I know, Eevee has a very small chance of showing up in every Hidden Grotto, but it's very rare and obviously even rarer to find a female one.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
legoboy_20 said:
you can get a hidden ability eevee from fennel in castelia city.
It's forced male, though, which is a problem for us competitive types. Remember, a Hidden Ability can only be passed down by a female Pokémon with that ability - breeding it with Ditto will always produce offspring with one of the regular abilities.

For us competitive types, this tends to be a problem because we like to keep breeding Pokémon until we get one that's optimal - so we breed for a specific Nature, a specific Ability, and quite often for IVs too. We literally cannot do that for the male DW Eevee, because the ability would always be one of the defaults. The male-only Eevee you get from Fennel is also a single-time event - if you wanted a Dream World Umbreon and a Dream World Vaporeon, for example, you'd be unable to get both from the same game via that event, you'd have to trade or go hunting in a Hidden Grotto.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since this idea has been received well this tournament will officially be given the go-ahead.

It will most likely take place in either June or August depending on whether people feel having it over a school/college/uni holiday would be easier for them. Feel free to start your preparations for this as of now if you haven't already, an official ruleset will be made and posted soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.