• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Impossible/No Thanks Editing TCM Sprites/Uploading Custom Sprites

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2014-3-4_15-32-19.png
Ok, here's the problem. I made this card on Paint.Net and I want it as my Trainer Card. If there is no possible solution, can somebody please make an update to the trainer card up loader or make an exception if possible? (Bottom is what it would look like otherwise)

Attachments

• upload_2014-3-4_15-30-21.png
    upload_2014-3-4_15-30-21.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 46

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Okay. First and foremost this is not the right place to post this.

Second, what you did there is not allowed by the trainer card maker's terms of use - you are NOT allowed to use any of the assets in the TCM without the permission of their creators or to modify any cards you've made using the TCM using any external program - and ESPECIALLY not to remove the credit URL.

And since the background in question (and the one Kalos badge as well) is one that I made and contributed to the TCM, this is kind of adding insult to injury.

The TCM is there to provide a quick and easy way for people to make trainer cards. If you want to make your own and the trainer sprite you wish to use isn't in the TCM... Well, make one of your own. On your own. With your own resources. Don't steal ours.

Please do not double-post. The offending posts have been merged.
Oh, I am truly sorry about that and by the way, Red isn't owned by the TCM he is owned by Game Freak, Creators of Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver

I also have not posted this anywhere so I do not see what is wrong, the only place this would be seen is among my friends and Pokecharms

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, the -official- sprites don't belong to us, but any of the custom sprites, custom backgrounds, badges, etc DO belong to us and we don't take kindly to people stealing them or modifying them.

What is wrong is that by using any features of Pokecharms - including the TCM - you agree to follow the rules, terms and conditions for their usage. Regardless of where the violation takes place, it's still a violation and steps are to be taken against violators.

Last edited:
Wait, the badges are custom? I honestly didn't know that

I still don't see any problems, this was made solely for personal enjoyment. The only other thing I'd want is to upload it to the site I created it with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Wait, the badges are custom? I honestly didn't know that
Yes, they are - some of them are licensed from elsewhere, whereas the most recent ones (the Kalos ones especially) we've had made specifically for the TCM. None of them are licensed for any other use. Worth noting the B2W2 badges you're using are both exclusively for us too. I had them commissioned.

The thing is, that means that we not only won't make exceptions, we can't. The assets are not really ours to use as we see fit. Very, very kind people tell us we can use their hard work for the TCM, and when they do they only license them to us for use on Pokécharms itself. That means that I and everyone else on staff do not have the right to give anyone free use of them - and that includes taking the generated card and editing it.

The first post of this very thread states the conditions spriters agree to: "Please note that submitting sprites for the TCM gives us the right to use that sprite outside the TCM for other site purposes as well." That is site purposes - I can use a TCM sprite in the design, or on a 'Charms banner, for example, but I can't take someone else's hard work, remix it, and post it on. Not even here.

You may not consider it fair, you may not see the problem. But those are the rules, and even the staff have to follow them. Stel can use his badges in any way he likes because he made them - but if I took them and used them without his explicit permission, that'd be art theft. Nothing more, nothing less.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
And that's a /thread right there. To answer your original question: There is not and will never be a system for uploading your own art to the TCM.

If you have any more to say regarding this, I recommend you start a private conversation with me. I've split off this thread to keep the clutter out of the submissions thread, and this thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.