• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Easy, Medium or Hard?

Do you play your games on Easy Medium or Hard?

• All of them

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Hard Card

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Who cares?

• Medium Tedium

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Easy cheesy

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • All of them

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Hard Card

• Who cares?

• Medium Tedium

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Easy cheesy

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Typically, I'll plump for medium on my first play through - although if it's a story heavy game and I just want to get through the story, it's quite likely I'll pop it right down to the easiest mode possible in order to just get through the game as quick as possible.

I honestly don't end up giving most 'hard modes' a go in the end, but that's often just 'cos I've moved onto another game by that stage.

Most games I tend to start with medium, just because I'm not too big on Easy mode just because I don't want to blow through enemies, though with games that do a 'test' where you do some meaningless task and it says something like, "Your recommended level is..." I usually end up going with hard because that's usually what I end up getting suggested. Unless the game is like ridiculously hard, then I go with medium.

I'll play on easy if I just want to have some no stress gameplay, but that usually comes after I beat the game on medium/hard. I do have this thing where if I start a game on hard then I won't let myself change the difficulty, but that leads to many days of frustration, but it just makes it rewarding once I do beat it. However, like Alex, most of the time I've moved onto a new game before venturing into Hard Mode.

Pretty similair to most other people, I start at Easy. :> Gee, most of the times I've went Hard, I've failed spectacularly pretty quickly in. xD

They mode of difficulty I play really depends on the game, but most of the time I play on easy or medium mode. For example, I have zero finger coordination on Guitar Hero/Rock Band so I typically play on Easy or Medium. With Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, I didn't have a clue what I was doing half the time because it was my first tactical RPG so I played that on Easy my first time, and Normal the next. As far as Radiant Dawn goes, easy run playthroughs are fun because there are more usable characters, but in Hard Mode it takes a lot more work in order to have a variety of characters.

All in all, I just don't care about the difficulty as long as I'm having fun and I hate it when people make fun of or dismiss others for playing a certain difficulty.

Start on Easy > Medium > Get bored of game and go to next game. Then maybe eventually Hard. Maybe. Fire Emblem I want to play harder than easy, but the space in between the areas of expertise is too big. Same with Guitar Hero, but I finally got over that with guitar and I can play expert on the easier songs.
So yeah.

For me it depends on what game Im playing. But I usually start on medium and play through the game a couple of times then if I am still playing the game I will try hard but I usually dont play the game that long to get to hard.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I tend to start on medium, since most games refer to it as "normal" difficulty, so why not start off by playing the game in its normal mode? To me, medium/normal is like a default difficulty of sorts, almost like the programmer's personal recommendation for the difficulty of the game, so I generally just go with that. If I find the game fun enough to play through again, I jump up to hard mode, or any other difficulty beyond hard.

Two games stand out as the exception to this rule: Doom and Ikaruga. Doom I play on Ultra-Violence, which is the second hardest difficulty mode behind Nightmare, and anyone who has played Doom will tell you that Nightmare is absolutely retarded - the default difficulty is Hurt Me Plenty, which is the third hardest difficulty and sits just behind Ultra-Violence. As for Ikaruga, I err towards easy, since Ikaruga as a whole is hard as a brick sandwich regardless of your choice in difficulty, and the medium and (God forbid) hard modes only make an already hard game Nightmare-level crazy.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
With most games I usually either start on Easy or Medium. My choice usually comes down to how well I know the game mechanics when starting. If I know what I'm doing going in then I choose Medium, but for something that is completely new to me I pick Easy just to get my feet wet.

If I like a game enough I'll generally play through it again and try it at a higher difficulty level, although I often times seem to fail miserably. The only game that I can beat the game at pretty much any difficulty level is Fire Emblem games, but that's just because I spam-play the three on the GBA like no other.

For me, it just depends on the games and if they offer a medium. An example of this is Metroid. They offer two difficulty modes instead of three. Like Red, it's determined by whether or not I am decent at the game or not. If I have a hard time on it, I choose easy. If I am decent enough to actually progress relatively fast, I'd choose medium or hard. Most games I start on easy just so I can beat the game and if I feel like it, I'll play through it again on medium.

I usually go with medium/normal, but I've been going with easy mode on shooters lately-- they're too hard for me otherwise, since when I get startled my strategy devolves to AAAAAAAAAAGH SMASH IT SMASH IT

I can play Rock Band/Guitar Hero on hard if I know the song well, but otherwise I have to practice a fake instrument and... no.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Typically, I seem to go with Easy Mode on my first play through and then jump up to medium/hard/etc. the next time I play. There's no real reason for me doing this aside from that fact that it's a natural progression through the modes. I'll often skip the medium modes altogether if easy mode was simply too easy, or try the hardest mode just for the hell of it. Depends on the game really. Some of them I just can't be bothered playing long enough to learn all the tricks & skills.

However, like KoL mentioned, if a game labels their medium mode as "Normal mode" and defaults to it, I'll generally pick it over easy. Whatever seems the most natural is what I play first.

With Easy mode becoming easier and easier every gen (olol 1button bayonetta) Im actually thinking about starting with Hard mode nowadays.

I usually start with Medium , because like KoL said, I think thats the balance the programmers wanted the game to be.
I also never change to Easy. When I suck at a game I retry till I get good at it. Thats my Snes era mentality, and I wont change my difficulty in a game where you have to "unlock" easy mode by dying x times, as its the games way of laughing at you.
Prinny Can I really be a hero even made their "easy" mode "baby" mode, that uses diapers instead of live-scarfs.

I like playing games on hardmode after finishign them on normal mode, but I usually loose interest half way, or just dont think its worth to play the game in a harder mode, cause that will most likely steal months of my life (Dante must Die mode in Devil May Cry)

Most games are way too easy nowadays anyways ;<

Games should add optional difficulty like Megaman games do.
Fail at stage/boss xy ->go to store and buy lives/Energy-Tanks, that bird that saves you from one bottomless pit, ect
That way you can adjust your difficulty while playing, and while trying to become better.
But I guess that it only works with games that are all about the gameplay and not about immersion or storytelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
As most i usually start on medium however games are starting to introduce only medium modes with a unlockable easy mode. Adding it up i start with medium especially on horror games which would introduce me to a challenge, i rarley find myself doing easy on games and after i complete medium i'd usually head for hard.

I usually try the game on medium, then see if i want to switch to easy. On alien hominid for example, i chose easy. But on another game, forget the name (:'D) i chose medium.

Most of the time I go on easy or normal, but sometimes I feel like a hero and wanna go hard mode (probably from sugar :D). Surprisingly I do very well on hard mode in Fighting games.

I vote for Medium Tedium because when i play a game at hard mode at the middle of the game i bore to play :/ the game.The game tires you if it's in hard mode.

I usually pick medium in most games. I used to pick really easy on shooters until about a year ago. (my friends kicked my ass in COD more times than I can count. great modivation) Now I usually pick second-to-hardest on shooters. For stealth games like Metal Gear, i pick easy since I have the stealth skills of a yapping chihuahua. Only exception was Metal Gear Solid 4, where I picked medium since more than half the "stealth" missions were shooting faces off. :)

I usually go with medium. I like a challenge, but I don't like to be overwhelmed. There have been very few games where I try hard mode. (Those are the Guitar Hero games, and I think the first Kingdom Hearts)

So, I'm a medium guy.

I usually start on Medium because I dont want to die all the time but I dont want to feel no satisfaction by only doing easy. After I finish medium and I like the game I will go onto hard. (Guitar Hero, Call of Duty, Mario Kart)

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I normally play on Medium, though as I suck at most games, I often end up on Easy.

Though on Rock Band, I play Expert Bass, Hard or Expert Vocals, and Hard Guitar. Medium Drums, but I don't enjoy the drums much.

Games that are mostly story focused, particularly the Halo series, I'll start with Normal difficulty, so I can enjoy the thrill of the storyline and still get some fun out of the gameplay. Since the Halo series normally greatly rewards you for completing their harder Campaign difficulties, such as Gamerscore and new armour, a la Halo 3, I'll start the hardest difficulty setting on solo, Legendary.

When it comes to the Touhou games in terms of difficulty, I'm definitively playing easy. Mainly because Touhou, as a bullet hell game is exceptionally hard, even on Normal, so I won't even touch Lunatic mode... D:

But in terms of most games that don't reap rewards for difficulties, I'm staying on Medium.

I'm not much of a gamer really I have never played war games (unless you count Red Dead Redemption) but im quite good at most games so I usually start on medium because im WAY too good for easy but if I cant do that ill just give up and go to easy.