• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Earthquake or Magnitude?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I have one particular pkmn who I want to have a Ground attack, but only one. I have the choice of using Earthquake or Magnitude, and I can't decide which one to pick.

Earthquake is more powerful on average: it has a fixed power of 100. But it only has 10 PP. Magnitude can vary in power from 10 to 150 according to probability, with 70 being most common power - but it has 30 PP.

Which should I go for?

pokefor.tk gives the following probabilities for Magnitude, btw:
Code:
Magnitude  Power  Probability  4         10       5.5%	  5         30       9.8%	  6         50      19.9%	  7         70      30.1%	  8         90      19.9%	  9        110       9.8%	 10        150       5.0%

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'd definitely choose EQ. If you pump up its PP you can get a fair amount of turns out of it, and in a serious battle it's better to have the fixed 100 then risk doing a lesser amount of damage like 70. My advice is to use Magnitude if you're playing through the game, but once you decide to focus on battling replace it with EQ.

Yeah, especially since Magnitude's chances of doing more than an Earthquake would are so slim, Earthquake's the better choice for a battling team. There's a reason that Earthquake's all over the place on Netbattle...