• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Drawing a Metagross is hard as hell.

As complicated as Metagross looks, you can still draw it by breaking it down into basic shapes and stick figures, same as with pretty much anything you could want to draw. Because I'm bored and looking for any excuse to not study, I decided to see if I could break it down for you.

Step1.png

So firstly, as I mentioned above, we need to break down the shapes into something really simple. The easiest way to think of it is that its basically a really simple looking spider with fewer legs, so I drew a big circle/oval and some more cone shapes. You might notice that I've drawn in the full leg regardless of whether its been hidden behind the rest of the body or not. This is because even though you won't see it in the final artwork, it really helps to keep track of limbs, especially if part of them will be visible, as is the case here.
Step2.png

From here we start to flesh in the details a bit more, by making it look more 3D and kinda 'box-y'. Worth pointing out that by this stage I've opened up the official art of Metagross to use as a reference. Having a reference is super important when drawing literally anything you haven't done at least 1000 times before, because even if you think you've got it right, you probably haven't.
Step3.png

After that its time for even more details. Most of the definition here has mainly been done on its legs, again paying close attention to the reference pictures on how to do them. Also, Metagross looks so derpy here I love it >>
Step4.png

Here was just a fixing step. Looking at the reference I could see that I'd made the main body of Metagross too big and its legs too small, so I've adjusted them accordingly here. Its pretty easy to do working on a computer as you can just select areas and resize them, but if you're using more traditional methods its a bit harder. Which is all the more reason to spend more time planning out your drawing early on with those simple shapes.
Step5.png

Now is the point where I start defining things properly. I use a much smaller brush on a new layer and go over everything carefully, although I do still make a few changes as I go. If you're using traditional art, this would be the point where I'd suggest either switching from pencil to pen (so you can rub out the sketch lines), or erase your pencil lines until they're barely visible, then go over it again.
Step6.png

This is literally just more line work cleaning. I've thickened the lines in places to give a sense of depth (and because I just think it looks cool), and also added some lines for shading purposes. Really this is just about making the final product look kinda nice for the colouring style I want to use - if you had other plans, then I'd skip these steps.
Step7.png

And finally finishing touches. I've added just some really basic colour, as well as switching the lineart over to a much more striking (and official looking, compared to the sketch blue I use) black.

So yeah, that's pretty much how I'd approach drawing a Metagross. Maybe that will give you some idea that will help you out or something. But honestly, even if you don't like the way it turns out looking, you should still try anyway. After all, art is very skill based, so you need lots and lots of practice. So every failed attempt, or drawing that you don't like, is still useful to you in the long run because you're developing your skills. And if you practice enough, maybe one day you'll get to the point where you can draw things that you think look good.

@SMRPG64 Thanks! Yeah I drew that just then, I was bored and figured why not. Probably took about an hour or so to do. And as for Lebron... I think they're just spamming for some reason.