• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Downloadable Content

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The good, the bad, and the stuff that's kinda bad but still okay because you'd want it anyways: how do you feel about DLC in gaming?

I've personally already ranted about this in another topic and on the chat, so I'll be brief. I don't believe all DLC is bad and I appreciate it for certain games, but when it's used simply to cash in instead of expand games - it shows. DLC made before a game is released, for whatever reason, is never right and shouldn't be happening. It should also be substantial, like a good PC game expansion pack. And I said "good expansion pack", because I'm well aware that some of those are crap rip-offs too.

I haven't used solid examples here, but feel free to name drop and tell us which games you feel did DLC right verses which didn't. I've only purchased DLC for a single game (Metal Sonic/Death Egg Zone pack for Sonic and Sega All Star Racing), and even though I wasn't buying it for myself it still wasn't really worth the money.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I don't have much experience with downloadable content tbh, outside of downloading Sonic 4, so I'm probably not the best person to post here, but I did pick up the Dragon Age Origins with all the DLC on a second disc for £24 (£21.60 with student discount!) and I wondered exactly why they charge so much for it all individually? After adding up the cost of all the DLC and Awakenings, it comes to around £65 if you but them all seperately. I picked it up, and it wasn't even pre-owned, for a third that price. I get making money and all that, but why bother releasing something so much cheaper later on when you could make the money without doing that?

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I'm not a big fan of downloadable content. I'm not the best person to speak about it but I know a lot of friends of mine morn about it a lot.

It normally costs over the top for what it is and for what it adds to a game which is daft.

Have none of you guys done DLC for Guitar Hero or the like? That's one of the few times it's kind of justified. New songs get released or there wasn't enough room on the disc, but they make it available later. You pay for the rights and then you got it.

The only thing about that sucks about it is that when you buy the game, there's gonna be a lot of songs you don't care about. They need to make it so you can just buy the mechanics/game/thingy/whatever and then pick 60ish songs. Or something better executed like that.