• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Doubles Battle Team (Unova Only)

OK, i'm attempting my hand at a doubles competitive team, tell me what you think.

Whimsicott
Bold
Prankster
@Leftovers
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Taunt
-Encore
252 Def, 248 Sp.Def., 8 Spd

Thundurus
Nature as I caught it
Prankster
@Damp Rock
-Discharge
-Thunder
-Rain Dance
-Taunt
252 Sp.Att., 252 Sp. Def, 4 Def

Landorus
Nature as I caught it
Sand Force
@Muscle Band
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Brick Break
-Protect
252 Att, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Jellicent
Calm
Water Absorb
@Shell Bell
-Scald
-Recover
-Toxic
-Hex
252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Sp

Hydreigon
Modest
Levitate
@Life Orb
-Surf
-Charge Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse
252 Sp.Att, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Constructive criticism welcomed, I also need a last team member. Any suggestions welcomed!

OK, changes made, how does it look now? I followed the guidelines after reading the article.

Whimsicott
Bold
Prankster
@Leftovers
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Taunt
-Encore
252 Def, 248 Sp.Def., 8 Spd

Thundurus
Nature as I caught it
Prankster
@Damp Rock
-Discharge
-Thunder
-Rain Dance
-Protect
252 Sp.Att., 252 Sp. Def, 4 Def

Landorus
Nature as I caught it
Sand Force
@Muscle Band
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Brick Break
-Protect
252 Att, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Jellicent
Calm
Water Absorb
@Water Gem
-Water Spout
-Protect
-Toxic
-Hex

Hydreigon
Modest
Levitate
@Life Orb
-Surf
-Protect
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse

Cinccino
Jolly
Technician
@
-Tail Slap
-After You
-Helping Hand
-Protect
252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Def

Also considering switching Landorus for Tornadus. I'm thinking that hurricane will work better with the rain.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
There's still a lot of work needs doing.

- Whimsicott does not want Leech Seed, and Substitute is very spare-looking on Whimsicott at least. What it does want are moves like Tailwind and Helping Hand instead; SubSeed in doubles is far too slow to be effective. Jolly nature instead of Bold is best here, and Mental Herb for the item to stop Taunt and Encore. You also want max Speed training + HP training here to tie with Taunts/Encores from other Whimsicott as well as to beat Prankster genies (who will always run max Speed.)

- Thundurus is fucked against any Ground-type with that moveset. HP Water, HP Ice or Grass Knot are best over Thunder. Substitute instead of Protect here, since Prankster makes Substitute a better option than Protect on here. Thundurus also absolutely needs max Speed training, so drop the pointless Sp.Defense EVs and put them in Speed.

- Rock Slide over Stone Edge on Landorus. Something like Explosion, Imprison or Fissure (OHKO moves are allowed in doubles) will do in Landorus's third moveslot, since Light Screen/Reflect are rare in doubles.

- Toxic is BAD. The article clearly states this, so why is it still there? Ice Beam or Blizzard instead of that, and Hex can be dropped for Shadow Ball. Max out Sp.Attack and Speed, HP/Sp.Defense will make your damage output far too low for doubles (and with Tailwind, Jellicent will actually be quite fast.)

- Hydreigon wants to be Timid, not Modest. Otherwise OK.

- The last team slot should go to something else. Cinccino is made redundant by Whimsicott here and thus serves no purpose. Samurott, Amoonguss and Scrafty would be my personal recommendations, but I'll leave it in your hands.

Overall there's still a lot of work to be done here. You have the basic framework down and you're using the right Pokemon, but the moves, EVs and natures need a lot of changes. You're getting there though, this has the potential to be successful.

Whimsicott
Bold
Prankster
@Mental Herb
-Tailwind
-Helping Hand
-Taunt
-Encore
252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Def

Thundurus
Nature as I caught it
Prankster
@Damp Rock
-Discharge
-Grass Knot
-Rain Dance
-Substitute
252 Sp.Att., 252 Speed, 4 Def

Landorus
Nature as I caught it
Sand Force
@Muscle Band
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Fissure
-Protect
252 Att, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Jellicent
Calm
Water Absorb
@Water Gem
-Water Spout
-Protect
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball

Hydreigon
Timid
Levitate
@Life Orb
-Surf
-Protect
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse

Amoonguss
Calm
Effect Spore
@
-Spore
-Stun Spore
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Ice
252 HP, 48 Def, 208 SpDef

I made all the suggested corrections, and replaced Cinccino with Amoonguss. How does it look now? I'm confused as to which item to use for Amoonguss since Item Clause is in effect.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Whimsicott's nature is still wrong.

Jellicent's EVs are still wrong.

Drop Stun Spore for Rage Powder on Amoonguss. Give him a Focus Sash to avoid Acrobatics.

That should do it. Refer back to my previous post for Jellicent and Whimsicott.

Whimsicott
Jolly
Prankster
@Mental Herb
-Tailwind
-Helping Hand
-Taunt
-Encore
252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Def

Thundurus
Nature as I caught it
Prankster
@Damp Rock
-Discharge
-Grass Knot
-Rain Dance
-Substitute
252 Sp.Att., 252 Speed, 4 Def

Landorus
Nature as I caught it
Sand Force
@Muscle Band
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Fissure
-Protect
252 Att, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Jellicent
Calm
Water Absorb
@Water Gem
-Water Spout
-Protect
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball
252 SpAtt, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Hydreigon
Timid
Levitate
@Life Orb
-Surf
-Protect
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse

Amoonguss
Calm
Effect Spore
@Focus Sash
-Spore
-Rage Powder
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Ice
252 HP, 48 Def, 208 SpDef

Corrections made again XD. Now the only problem is getting it put together for June 11. The BP items are the main problem, at 48 each. The training is no problem.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Looking all good now. All that's left is to train it and get used to using it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Just to add an extra note here...

Eevee918 said:
Now the only problem is getting it put together for June 11. The BP items are the main problem, at 48 each. The training is no problem.

If they did cost 48 each, it'd be a nightmare to obtain them - but thankfully, they don't. They actually only cost 16 BP each.

As for winning enough BP quickly, the Battle Subway's Single Line and Double Line (possibly the basic Multi-Line too) offer exactly 16 BP if you win all three rounds of battles and beat the bosses. That's one Power Item per 21 battle streak, which is rather tedious but not too bad. You could attempt the Super Lines too, but since they're a considerable hike in difficulty you'd probably get through the matches quicker - thus generate BP faster - on the easier lines.

[me=Linkachu]shamelessly plugs the Pokecharms Battle Subway page here for further info. x3[/me]