• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Double Battle Team

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Okay, here we go. Here's the first three pokemon of my double battle team:

Bronzong@Not sure. Fire Reducing Berry, probably
Levitate
Adamant

Either:
180/180 def/sp.def and the rest on attack
252/252 def/sp.def
200/200 def/sp. def and 108 in attack

Imprison
Trick Room
EQ
Protect

Annoyer mostly. Stops Trick Room teams, EQ spammers and anyone using Protect. EQ for some actual attacking power, too.

Ludicolo@Coba Berry
Swift Swim
Bold

Either:
252 Sp. Attack, 128 Def/Sp. Def
128 HP/Def/Sp.Def/Sp. Attack
170 HP/Def/Sp. Def

Rain Dance
Fake Out
Protect
Surf

The only issue I have here is whether or not Imprison affects your pokemon as well as the opponent's. If not, super. If so, not so super and I'll have to find a healing move. Fake out to help set up Imprison, Rain Dance to boost Surf and remove Bronzong's fire weakness, Protect so that Ludicolo and Bronzong can alternate between Surfs and EQs, and Protecting so that they don't kill each other.

Ambipom@Kings Rock
Technician
Jolly

252 Attack/Speed

Fake Out
Fling
Double Hit
Covet

Typical flinch hax. Covet just in case the opponent has a super stealable item, like a Choice Band or something.

Still working on the rest of my pokemon but some input would be super, thanks ;D

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Lapras@???
Water Absorb
Modest

Either
128 HP/Def/Sp.Def/Sp.Attack
252 HP/Sp. Attack
128 Def/Sp.Def 252 Sp.Attack

Surf
Thunder
Ice Beam
Protect

Special sweeper. Surf and Ice Beam for STAB, Thunder for Rain Dance abuse and Protect to avoid friendly fire.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
OK, let's get started:

- Bronzong I've already glossed over in chat, but several things to note: Bronzong does not want Attack training since his offensive prowess is poor at best anyway, and its HP will definitely need 252 EVs in it since Bronzong will end up spreading itself out too thin with none in HP and will end up dying to both physical and special attacks a bit too easily. Best thing to do is pick a defensive stat and roll max with that on top of max on HP.

- Ludicolo doesn't really have space for Fake Out to work effectively, especially since Fake Out gets borked somewhat by Follow Me, which will likely appear a lot from an experienced opponent. Energy Ball and Ice Beam/Blizzard are more viable choices to give Ludicolo better coverage, Blizzard being more viable in doubles since it hits both opponents. Coba Berry is very useless on Ludicolo since you'll see very few Flying-type moves around - Damp Rock to lengthen the duration of your rain may work better for you, and you'll want to mix your EVs between Sp.Attack, Speed and HP for the most part. Finally, Imprison only locks down the opponents and will not affect your partner.

- Ambipom's use in doubles is rather limited due to the heavy abuse of Protect and Follow Me negating Fake Out combined with very few moves that strike both opponents (TechSTAB Swift I guess, but Base 60 Sp.Attack is horrible.) I can't really say much regarding Ambipom here - you may want to use something else in its place if I'm being honest.

- Lapras + Ludicolo would be a very potent combination thanks to Water Absorb and Ludicolo quad-resisting Water anyway, allowing you to unleash two Surfs in a single turn without having to worry too much about damage to yourself. Blizzard, again, will come in very handy by hitting both opponents (don't worry too much about the accuracy) and Thunder rounds off the set nicely. Full HP/Sp.Attack would be my spread of choice to maximize damage output, since 4vs4 doubles tends to be quite offense-oriented overall.