• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Don’t tell mom the gym leader’s dead (discussion thread)

Welcome to the discussion/signup thread for “Don’t tell mom the gym leader’s dead”, a wacky hijinks comedy teen/student misadventure kind of RP that will let us kick back and stress out. In this place, everything that can go wrong will go wrong. I will personally see to that. The RP thread for this one is over here.

NOTICE: This thread has been marked as closed due to a greatly successful signup campaign. If you were already in the process of creating a character and such, you just hadn't posted yet, you're still welcome. We might also reopen in the future.

The Premise

Gym leader Mortis Leto has some problems. His gym is deep in debt with about every loan shark in the region, his building is years behind on upkeep, his trusted adjutant and all of his stronger gym trainers have walked out in protest over his management, his toilets are all regularly clogged, his Pokémon refuse to listen to anyone but him, his roof is leaking, he hasn’t had parents ask about buying a starter for years, he’s no longer welcome in at least three large tournament venues for repeated misbehavior, Gym Leader Weekly not only stopped interviewing him but canceled his free subscription over that answer that one time, his cooking sucks and even his wife left him years ago, taking the Growlithe, and the bicycle. But as long as Mortis is holding the reins of this gym, eventually things will sort itself out. He’s connected, he’s respected, and he’s still the best at what he does. Too bad Mortis will die before the end of the opening post. And he won’t be comic book dead either. Real dead as a doornail. Nothing you can do about it I’m afraid, it was just his time. Was that a spoiler? Oops.

You are, should you choose to accept this mission, a group of low level gym trainers. You all have your reasons for being here, but none of you were bargaining for the situation you are facing now. With nobody else available, you are now effectively in charge of this gym. If the Chivalrise Gym in Steadbourg City, home of the Handshake Badge, is to survive the coming months, you will need to step up your game.

The RP

To make things nice and relaxed I will act as a GM in this place. It’s my responsibility to feed you, the players, problems, lots of problems. It’s your responsibility to solve those problems. Or well, at least to sort of get them out of the way for now in the most likely to backfire way possible. The purpose is to write entertaining posts after all. The fact that I will be GM’ing does not mean that creative additions from your side will not be appreciated though. Any information I have not revealed yet is fair game for you to fill in. The name of another gym? A Pokémon or team of two Mortis owned? A species that occurs in this region? Another city or a type of terrain in the region? A home town for your character? If you want to use something, you can assume it into existence. If I ever do have things that I’m keeping from you but have already planned out behind the scenes I will make a special OOC note of that. (As of this point I have a small number details planned out I'd like to use if at all possible, but most of those will be revealed in the opening post.)

The Setting

The Vetuschola region is a lot like most other regions in the Pokémon world. There are diverse terrains, lots of wild species, legends about special extra strong Pokémon hiding out there somewhere and there’s a lively tournament circuit. What’s a little different about this region is its gym system.

You see, the gyms here don’t specialize in types, they instead focus on an aspect of battling. Steadbourg's Chivalrise Gym, official motto “Amitié Avant Tout”, tests cooperation. It does this by means of a 2V2 double battle. The challenger and the leader are both limited to two Pokémon, who battle it out all at once. Because the gyms can be challenged in any order, Mortis has a team of two on hand for every badge.

And that means he has seven teams, because this region has seven gyms, and you can gain seven badges. Fourteen Pokémon is a lot for one man to have and take care of, most trainers never go past a full team of six, but gym leaders are still the best at what they do. The difficulty of the badge matches ramps up quickly as you rise through the ranks. A strong amateur will be a “solid 3rd badge battler”. At that point they’re better than most people out there and can travel pretty much all of the wilds in this region without worrying about wild Pokémon too much. Even if they still go around challenging gym leaders they will often ask for a battle at 3rd badge level. They don’t get another badge for that, but they do get a stamp and a signature in their Novum League Passport. It’s a nice hobby. There are even schoolkids collecting the stamps at first badge level. A tournament professional, with sponsors and fans and everything, will often still be at five or six badges. The mastery and dedication required to beat a gym at the final challenge level is impressive.

Aside from the battles gyms have several other functions in society, including but not limited to the examples in this paragraph. They provide training through all sorts of work-learn programs, popular with people who learn well from a combination of instructions and experience and parents who think their child shouldn’t be traveling through the region all alone just yet. The gyms are also a place where you can buy starters, usually species that have some sort of connection to the gym’s team. These starters are handed over hand tame and with instructions. They are seldom the ultra-rare exotic species some professors from other regions give to their neighbor’s kid, but for someone who doesn’t have a Pokémon it’s a great help.

As for the specific Pokémon living in this region: I say most of them should be official mon. I’m fine with fakemon as an addition, but they must be well thought out fakemon, I would for instance prefer it if they had a full learnset, and a picture. In an RP about a gym that sort of details really helps sell the mon.

The Rules

As per the site rules and those of good taste: Don’t be too gory, Home Alone wouldn’t have been as funny if there was actual graphic torture. Don’t be too icky, relationships are fine but nobody wants to read about your sex life. If after a fade to black you find yourself in your underwear and a pair of handcuffs hanging from a chandelier though, please do call for help. Don’t go into mind altering substances and such too much. Characters breaking the law are okay, but try to avoid anything that might horrify someone. Basically try to keep it PG, although you can go looking for the edges of that format, if you can get a joke out of it.

Also per site rules: Legendaries, mega-evolutions and battle bond forms need to be pre-approved by a forum moderator. if you have an idea for including one of those contact me and I will contact them.

The Player Characters

You guys all start out at a power level around one or two badges. This means your strongest Pokémon are maybe at the power level of a middle stage starter Pokémon (as in, regular other-region in-game starters, like Wartortle.) You’re here to learn. (Or, you know, you might have an entirely different reason for being here, but you still don’t have a Garchomp in your back pocket.) There is no need to specify levels and such, we’re not going that detailed, but because we will be roleplaying battles movesets and abilities are appreciated. Of course a well-trained Machamp can kick someone without knowing a specific move, but for the big spectacular moves I feel like the regular limit of four is a good number.

I’m not setting a hard limit on the number of Pokémon you own, but try to think to yourself about how many you could realistically have around doing something for almost every single post you write. Whatever number you come up with, that should be more than enough. (There’s not even the need to have at least two Pokémon at a cooperation themed gym, because both cooperation between you and your Pokémon and battles where you cooperate with other trainers are a thing.) Shinies are technically allowed but in-universe still extremely rare. A player can definitely not have more than one of them over the course of this game. If you want to do something with a Pokémon’s appearance try to think of other ways as well like exceptional size, fur patterns, a particularly athletic/sturdy/anything build or human made additions such a hair style or a collar.

I myself will not be playing a regular player character, but I will be handling NPC’s like gym challengers.

To help you come up with characters, have a character sheet:

Name:

(Including any nicknames and such.)

Age/Gender/Orientation/Subculture:
(/Any other one or two word qualifiers that help people form an image of your character. It's not mandatory to try and fill in something for all of these by the way.)

Character:
(Who this person is on the inside.)

Skills and training:

(What can they do better or different from the world's most average person?)

Background:
(Pay special note to your character’s reason for being a gym trainer at the Steadbourg Gym. It doesn’t have to be a good reason, but it helps if it provides motivation to keep this thing running.)

Appearance:
(Who this person is on the outside. Includes clothing and such.)

Pokémon Name:
(Copy this section for more than one mon.)

Pokémon Species/Age/Gender/Orientation/Subculture:

(Punk rock Pikachu?)

Pokémon Ability, Moveset:
(This is a good section to keep up to date during play.)

Pokémon Character:

Pokémon Background:

Pokémon Appearance:

And that’s about it. I will start off the RP thread in the RP section if and when this project gains enough attention. It doesn’t require a lot of players, but I think at least four would be nice. Any volunteers? Questions? Requests?

(About Me)

(I am the thread starter of Pokémon Ranger, Almia goes old school. That one is a more serious adventure story, quite different from this RP, but it was pretty successful and it showed me this site has some pretty amazing player, so I figured I’d try something else as well.)

Last edited:
Name: Richard Bell

Age/Gender/Orientation/Subculture: 19/Male/Straight/Caucasian? Southeastern US?

Character: Greedy slimeball who'll be your friend for a bit and then turn his back on you like you're a broken shovel. He doesn't particularly care what others think of him, unless their opinion will help him advance in the world. Does he have a soft spot? He doesn't know. He doesn't care. If he does he's only using it for personal gain. Despite all of this, he is a decent actor and will act nice and friendly until he sees an opportunity. He's clever and has a good bit of patience when it comes to getting what he wants.

Skills and training:
He's learned to mimic voices and he's particularly good at manipulating the unaware.

Background: Richard came from a poor family in Kanto where he would sometime have to find his own dinner. Instead of begging, he went about stealing. Eventually he got to the point to where he was a travelling thief. However, while he made all this money, he resented his parents for not giving him the life he thought he deserved. He hasn't seen or heard from them in years and never sent them any money. His financial shortcomings in his early life drive him to gain more wealth, and becoming a Gym Leader is a good step in that direction. He chose Steadbourg gym not because he loved cooperating with others, but because if he cooperated, it would be easier to gain their trust and in the end attain more wealth, or just convince them to agree that he would be a good gym leader.

His schemes became all the easier when he befriended his partner, Ditto. Ditto would distract people while Richard would come from behind and pickpocket them, and then Ditto would simply transform into something else and go away. He believed Ditto would be a good pokemon for this gym simply because it can be whoever it wants. Is the gym leader really dead? Maybe not, because he just came through that door! Oh, no, it's just a ditto.

Appearance: Richard has a very slim frame and he stands at about 5'9". He's rather short but this helps when stealing because people commonly overlook him. He isn't bony but he has very little muscle. He weighs about 140 lbs. He has brown eyes and messy brown hair that he primarily keeps concealed by wearing a brown fedora. His clothing consists of a brown coat with a white button up underneath and baggy khaki pants.

Pokémon Name: Prime

Ditto/2/NA/Bisexual?/Classy

Pokémon Ability, Moveset: Imposter//Transform

Pokémon Character: Even more of a trickster than it's master, it will commonly play pranks on whoever it wishes. It is completely willing to help with any plan its master has, but it will attempt to give its advice if necessary.

Pokémon Background: After escaping from Cinnabar mansion via boat, it made its way to Saffron City, where it was walking around as a human when something touched it's "pocket". It turned around to see Richard running off, but it was intrigued, and it followed him into an alley. He showed his true form and it's curiosity got the best of him. While he was annoyed at being captured at first, it grew to be okay with it as he generally didn't have to stay in its pokeball.

Pokémon Appearance: A normal ditto. Unless it transforms, then it's whatever it wants to be. It has the ability to speak, but it can only say what it has heard. If he wants to truly be disguised, he must listen to the person he is transforming into long enough to copy some of their verbal cues.

Hope that's sufficient! I love this idea. Let me know if there's anything that needs to be changed.

Last edited:
Important NPC’s (list gets updated):

-------------------

Pokémon Name:

Hieronymus

Quagsire, young adult, male, Mortis’ 5th badge team

Water Absorb; Sandstorm, Sludge Wave, Mud Shot, Waterfall

Pokémon Appearance:

A little spotty, as if it’s always covered in just enough mud to not be clean. Quite big.

About me:
Quagsire, quagsire quag. Quag quag quagsire quag quaaaaagsire quag, quag quagsire sire quag. Quagsire sirequag, quagquag siresire. Quag sire si: “Quagsíre, quagsíre, quagsíre!“ Quag quaggity quag, quagsiduck! Quagger quaggy sire si ! Quaaaaaaaaaaagsire !

-------------------

Pokémon Name:

Hugo

Rhydon, adult, male, Mortis’ 5th badge team

Lightning Rod; Surf, Smack Down, Drill Run, Rock Polish

Pokémon Appearance:

Muscled, even for a Rhydon. Very good at looking mildly unamused.

About me:
Rhy.

Last edited:
This is a fantastic idea! I can’t wait to see how this goes!
Name: Dylan “Shadow” Teimurazi Cropper
Age/Gender/Orientation/Subculture: 19 years old, male, straight, caucasian.
Character: He avoids most people or is abrasive to them, but when he finds someone he likes or looks up to, he generally follows them blindly, given his nickname “shadow”. Mortis was one of those people, which is likely the reason that Dylan hadn’t left the gym through all of its hardships, even though he was certainly skilled enough to move on. He follows his moral compass, but his moral compass isn’t usually right, and he is willing to commit crimes to get what he sees as justice.
Skills and training: Dylan is particularly good at coming back from behind with crazy strategies that rely heavily on luck. He is also very good at coming up with crazy strategies prior to battle. These strategies can range from a Pokémon that is trained to avoid every attack to a Pokémon that is trained to just take it.
Background: Dylan was doing pretty well as a Pokémon thief. First, he stole his first Pokémon from someone who had offended his mother, then he used that steal another from Mortis, who had beaten his father. This was his kind of justice. When Mortis discovered he had be stolen from, Dylan was caught red-handed. However, Mortis’s reaction was not as expected, and the gym leader let Dylan keep the Pokémon with only the promise from Dylan that he would try to train it to be stronger as a gym trainer. Soon, Dylan’s family moved out of town for business reasons, and Dylan didn’t want to leave for some reason (because he followed Mortis). Mortis let him sleep in the gym. When Mortis dies, he theoretically would not have a reason for staying, but will fall in love with someone in the gym, who does not have to reciprocate feelings to him, which will cause him to stick around, and, even more importantly, cause him to step up into the role of helping take care of the gym without a leader in order to impress her.
Appearance: Dylan is surprisingly strong, but doesn’t look muscular. He has blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. Contrasting with that, he usually wears dark clothing such as black jackets and jeans. He makes a point of having all his Pokémon in premier balls, even though he stole them, because he thinks they look the coolest out of all the pokeballs.
Pokémon Name: Sol
Pokémon Species/Age/Gender/Orientation/Subculture: Absol, 7 years old, male, straight.
Pokémon Ability, Moveset: Super Luck; Night Slash, Swords Dance, Quick Attack, Detect.
Pokémon Character: Sol is generally casual and nonchalant. He sleeps most of the day away and ignores his trainer more often than not, except for in battle, when he follows every last command.
Pokémon Background: Sol was the first Pokémon that Dylan stole, and despite liking his previous owner, he developed a strong bond with Dylan. He helped Dylan to steal his second pokemon from Mortis.
Pokémon Appearance: Normal Absol.
Pokémon Name: Blade
Pokémon Species/Age/Gender/Orientation/Subculture: Doublade, 5, Male, Straight.
Pokémon Ability, Moveset: No Guard; Shadow Sneak, Slash, Aerial Ace, Metal Sound.
Pokémon Character: Blade gladly followed Dylan after he was officially given to him by Mortis, but between being stolen and this time, he refused all orders. Blade doesn’t get along well with Sol and Dylan rarely lets both out of their balls at the same time. He acts like a soldier with strict military training in and out of battle and highly disapproves of Sol’s nonchalant attitude.
Pokémon Background: The second Pokémon Dylan stole, he was discovered to be missing and recaptured by Mortis. Mortis then gave him back to Dylan.
Pokémon Appearance: Normal Doublade.

Okay, here we go.

Delta_Ace: Nice character, distinct skill set, good choice of Pokémon. I'm just a little fuzzy on why he came to the Chivalrise Gym. That's with the intention to eventually become gym leader there? Any specific reason for this particular gym? Like maybe a Ditto allowing for flexible strategies that go well with those of others? I am also a little unclear on the capabilities of the Ditto. It can be a human, that only makes sense for a Ditto, but from there on... How convincing is it at acting human? Personally I'd like to draw the line somewhere short of being able to talk, personally, so the advice he gives would be Lassie style, basically, but with more changing into things. What was your idea on that? EDIT: Although now that I think about it, a wisecracking talking Ditto that changes into different humans depending on the joke it's going for would honestly be kind of cool as well for this specific campaign, so I'm game either way.

Pokéboy: The background and such are great, good flow to the story. Both Doublade and Absol are pretty strong Pokémon, on the very edge of what can still be considered "maybe at the power level of a middle stage starter like Wartortle". So I am counting on you to ones every now and then leave some room for other mon to shine as well. (But that will be everyone's problem when at some point the former gym leader's Pokémon start weighing in on the equation.) As for the falling in love with someone at the gym: if this someone is a player character please coordinate with their player, either through this thread or over PM. (Unreciprocated love hijinks can get a little creepy when going for humor value, it's nice to know someone is on board with that.) If you choose to go with an NPC you can create one that fits your purposes or use one assumed into existence by me or someone else.

So both approved! Looking good.

Last edited:
Edited the background with some more of their goals and reasoning, and updated Ditto's appearance section with things about his... Voice. Yeah. I don't really know. It isn't his appearance but I have no clue where to put it. But anyway, thanks for accepting! Looking forward to this.

Void_Nugget

Previously Shadow_Pup
Name:
Lorenzo Lightwood, Lori

19/Male/Straight

Character:
Kind and Sensitive, Loyal and Trustworthy, but at the same time, can get easily annoyed and is very protective of Ginger

Skills and training:

Singing

Background:
He wasn't to well off, but he wasn't poor growing up. He just needed some extra cash so decided to become a Gym Trainer.

Appearance:
6' 5", Muscular but kind of skinny, brown hair and goatee, green eyes. He wears beige trousers, a black t-shirt, red tartan over-shirt and black trainers.

Pokémon Name:
Ginger

Eevee/2 months/Female/Straight

Adaptability, Protect-Quick Attack-Shadow Ball-Tackle

Pokémon Character:
Loyal, trustworthy, ambitious and kind. She can also be shy, curious and tends to scare easy.
Pokémon Background:
Lori found Ginger abandoned and took her home with him, they've been good friends ever since.
Pokémon Appearance:
Normal Eevee but with a blue bow around her neck.

Last edited:
That's a pretty succinct background. I don't see anything in it that worries me, so I trust we'll get to see more of Lorenzo in the RP itself. I see some things there that could grow into bigger character aspects. You're free to expand the character sheet somewhat more if you feel inspired, but I'm okay with it like this as well.

2 months is young, even for an Eevee, assuming they are kind of similar to dogs and cats. But I like how you showed some restraint in her moveset with Tackle and Quick Attack. That certainly helps in bringing her age across.

So... accepted!

Yknow, since you are asking what orientation are pokemon are... Ditto's prolly gonna try to have some fun. Hijinks galore. It can literally be anything so... yeah. Almost scares me.

Name:
Cooper Allebach

18/Male/Straight/White

Character:
He's loud, eccentric, and says random stuff just to start a conversation. He's pretty emotional, and he often jumps into things just because they sound cool on paper. He takes things way out of proportion, which ends up making him look like he's joking even when he's trying to be serious. He REALLY wants to be accepted, and has a freakout if no one is on his side. He can often get very stubborn if he finds something unfair. He cares about other people, but only people he finds nice. He considers almost everyone who isn't immediately annoying nice. His well-off family spoiled him to the point that the outside world gave him a huge shock to reality.

Skills and training:
Being an odd fellow, he seems to attract people who feel out of the ordinary. He has experience with caring for Pokemon, and can strategize pretty well too. He's surprisingly smart, and can catch on to ideas quickly. He's also good at cooking.

Background:
Cooper was raised by a well-off family in Galeborrow, a decently-sized town near Steadbourg. When he was about 12 his parents bought a recently-hatched starter from Steadbourg's Gym, a Mareep. Cooper immediately bonded with the sheep and battled many Trainers in his class with Mareep by his side. After he moved away from his parents, he realized he was alone in the world, with only his Pokémon beside him. After a slight emotional breakdown, he noticed the nearby gym and applied as a Gym Trainer, hoping he can sort his life out in the process.

Appearance:
Cooper is nothing special in terms of looks. He has flat, shot brown hair with single cowlick that he tries to keep down. He usually wears a black hoodie which usually has a very slight stain on it, as well as blue jeans that are just a smidge too big, and a dark brown belt to prevent a certain embarrassing incident. He's a bit smaller than average, at about 5'6.

Pokémon Name:
Ray

Flaaffy/5/Male/Straight

Ability: Static
Move set: Thunder Wave, Thunder Shock, Cotton Spore, Charge

Pokémon Character:
Nature: Gentle
Ray is very nice to almost everyone and everything he meets. His sweet personality meshes well with Cooper's, giving him someone who will always respect and accept him. Ray often shies away from other Pokémon, and gets really awkward when he's surprised by something, being very still and quiet until he stops feeling scared. His kindness doesn't extend to wild Pokémon, however, and he can be extremely cruel to them as he sees them as savage beasts and nothing more.

Pokémon Background:
Ray was a starter in the Chivalrise Gym for a whole 3 weeks before Cooper's family bought him. He was the second son of a Female Ampharos and a male Ratatta.

Pokémon Appearance:
Ray looks like an ordinary Flaaffy except his fur is slightly trimmed. It's not very noticeable, but Cooper notices it and finds it super adorable.

Pokémon Name:
(N/A)

Bronzor/6/None/Asexual(?)

Ability: Levitate
Move set: Psywave, Iron Defense, Hypnosis, Confuse Ray

Pokémon Character:
Nature: Calm
This Bronzor doesn't seem to have a personality. For all Cooper knows, it might just be an A.I. masquerading itself as a Pokemon. It's very calm, it used to follow Mortis's orders without a second thought (at least for the short time Cooper saw the two together), and it has never shown emotion, even upon the death of its Trainer. It kind of scares Cooper.

Pokémon Background:
Bronzor was a Pokemon in Mortis's 2nd Badge team. Cooper, only having 1 Pokémon, was lent the Bronzor. However the day he was going to return it was the day Mortis died, so I guess he's just keeping it now.

Pokémon Appearance:
It looks mostly like a normal Bronzor, except its eyes seem more lifeless and robotic, or maybe Cooper's just imagining things.

That's it, thanks so much for reading my post, and let me know if there's anything I need to change about the Bronzor, as that kind of dabbles in your plot a bit.
Also, a quick question: Will Electro Ball's power still be based on speed even though throwing a ball of electricity has nothing to do with speed? I know this sounds stupid, but I'm just making sure.

Last edited:
Looks good. Some nice details in the backgrounds. The Bronzor is fine. It's a little weird that Mortis didn't lend mon to the other trainers with just one creature of their own, but for a man that got himself into this many troubles weird is pretty in character.

As for Electro Ball: normally I'd consider that a nice roleplaying challenge, like someone might decide the attack charges by quickly spinning or something, or it has to do with aim. Or the inverse, someone could train specifically to teach a slow mon how to still make a strong Electro Ball. But since you're the one who's going to be using it I'm fine as well with you ignoring that aspect of the move, if you think it's weird... We don't have to give every game mechanic a place.

And that's four players. I'm holding off a little bit to give more people a chance to join from the start, but we can definitely launch before the weekend, giving everyone some free time in which to write a good first post for their character. Nice to have you all on board!

Hello, allow me to just-
crashes in before it's too late

Name:
Tamara Chipak, "Tammy"

18/Female/Straight/...native to whichever place we are in?

Character:
There can be many ways of describing a character; by their hair or eyes or face. But the overwhelming feature Tammy exudes is....disapproval. Some kind of mixture of perfectionism, condescension and social aversion leads her to be particularly unapproachable. She prefers to do her work alone, in 'peace and quiet', and can't seem to hit off friendships immediately; atleast not from her end. The one friend she does have from school just ended up befriending her because she wouldn't leave Tammy alone and eventually she grew rather fond of her. The ones who do seem to be able to get a ready smile from this uptight girl are her pokemon. Her soft spot for them and most baby pokemon is very evident, as shown by her frequent rescue cases (much to Mrs. Chipak's chagrin). She does have a sharp tongue, which is exercised when necessary, and is fond of riddles and other brainteasers (I mean, just look what she did to her poor pokemon). Tamara, fairly voluntarily, has never had much of a social life, besides the occasional movie or lunch, usually with her parents though. The relationship between her and her mother is fairly strained, and the job opportunity at Chivalrise Gym has given her the opportunity to finally distance herself, all the while still getting funding from her parents to continue her education. Win-win, really.

Skills and training:

Tammy was really trained to be a desk agent, not....a battler. Researching is what she does best, crunching numbers and balancing sheets all her educational life. She is highly educated, even having skipped a grade at some point, and any kind of paperwork is where she excels. Besides that, nothing extraordinary. Fairly good at taking care of Pokemon, having grown up with one. Good memory, and all knowledge of battling is purely bookish, with little to no experience in that field.

Background:
As mentioned above, opportunity to distance herself from her family (even though they live in the same city. Can't stray too far immediately) as well as a safe taste of independence. Tamara values education and stability over all else, and believes her step towards Chivalrise Gym to be one in the right direction. With the job experience, she can begin her climb on the corporate ladder. (To be noted; she applied for a secretary job. A desk clerk, essentially. Somebody's gotta do the files.)

Appearance:
Everything about her says 'muted geek'. Shoulder length straight hair, pair of glasses, often sporting large, comfortable hoodies. Nothing noteworthy. For reasons of fleshing this section out more, dark hair, dark eyes, usually wears converse, jeans and a single pair of earrings which she never takes off. Not for any sentimental value, she just can't be bothered to change them.

Pokémon Name:
Malakai, "Kai" (Play on Malachite, a green mineral essentially. Yeah, she's like that)

Larvitar/39/Male/Straight

Guts; Rock Slide, Crunch, Earthquake, Screech

Pokémon Character:
Despite the inclination of his species to live hundreds of years, Kai behaves like an old man. Laid back, unwilling to move or do much besides sleep, Kai behaves as though he's already retired after a long life of battling and seeing the world. Truth be told, he hasn't done either, and he couldn't care less. He doesn't seem to be motivated by much, except Tamara's words (there was a brief period when she tried to train him to do tricks, using treats, before realizing he'd just....do it....if you ask him to....). Even though he's brought up by Tam's dad, he's much more affectionate and loyal to Tamara, perhaps because he's watched her grow up, and is still more than twice her age. Not much bothers him, least of all his delayed (?) evolution. He's content to sleep close by to the sound of pencil on paper as Tamara works, sometimes allowing Ferri to sleep on him if he's absorbed sunlight and is warm. He....tolerates Ferri (or so he tells himself. Truth be told, he's got really developed legs from jumping to save the little Vulpix. He even chipped a bit of his crest when he lunged to protect her from the trophy she knocked over while trying to check herself out in it. On this, he and Tam are kindred spirits. Every night they get together and complain about the various aches and pains they get because of Ferri. Tamara could probably kick down a house with her leg strength now. A house Kai would happily devour.)

Pokémon Background:
Kai was named by Tamara's father, probably after some famous persona of his time. When Tamara grew older, she was the one to change it to Malakai (as opposed to Malachite. Don't know if he would respond to a complete change of name) (and besides, Kai stands for plenty of nice things! Victory, warrior, lovable, rejoice....food ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)) Brought up is a strong term; Kai just kind of...existed. He fed himself, since dirt wasn't exactly a rare commodity, and although he's probably exceeded his requirement of eating a whole mountain, he hasn't evolved, maybe due to having never battled. Similarly, due to the lack of battle experience, his moves are shaky and ineffective, and performed more by instinct than training. He's still young, and could still develop to be a powerhouse of a fighter, but with no external stimulus, he too did not develop the tendency to battle. Despite that, age has strengthened him, and given him a quiet, menacing aura that assists Tamara in keeping people away.

Pokémon Appearance:
BIG boi. Due to his age, Kai has grown to be quite the pokemon. Being as old and well fed as he is, he's almost 1.3 m in height. His colour is fading, in what must be a natural process of moulting, despite being, well, rock. His species grow throughout their life cycles, leading to Tyranitars growing even after evolution, leading to the legends of the dinos as big as mountains. As he hasn't had the opportunity to evolve, his natural form has grown slowly, showing potential to evolve into a big pokemon from the get go.

-x-x-x-

Pokémon Name:
Ferri, "Little brat", "Pest", "Probmlem" (mix of problem and mlem, since she does many liccs) more seriously, an official nickname: "Limo" (Limo is short for little monster, but also stands for Limonite, a form of Iron, which also stands for Ferrous. See the connection? Ferro, Ferri...no? Nevermind.)

Vulpix/6 months/Female/Bisexual probably tbh

Flash Fire; Tail Whip, Ember, Quick Attack, Confuse Ray

Pokémon Character:
Shiny, perfect IVs and EVs, Battle Bond, hidden ability, best pokemon in the world. Hah, she wishes. Ferri is perfectly spoilt, still being babied about, and is quite the mischievous brat. Doted on by all the family members (especially Mr. Chipak), she has the run of the house to herself, and uses it to good measure. She thinks no end of herself, but despite this, she respects Tamara and knows where her boundaries stand with her. Tamara was the one who rescued her and she seems to recognize that somewhere at a base level. She may play around, but she knows never to bother Tammy while she's working. Also, total lap fox. Just saying. Very pleasant lap fox, despite what the scars on Tam's arms might tell you.

Pokémon Background:
Rescued pokemon. She was terribly ill and all alone when Tamara found her. With no siblings or parent in sight, Tam did what she always does; abduct them. Ferri isn't the first pokemon Tamara rescued, so she recovered rapidly under the girl's practised hand and watchful eyes. Thankfully, it wasn't too serious (Tamara's had her rescues die before) and the little brat was up and running in like 10 days. Tam usually gives away most of her rescues, but this little monster found a place in their hearts and home. Also, Tam found it funny how contrasting she and Kai were. With Kai's abnormally large size against Ferri's abnormally small frame, they make quite the pair. Despite being young. Ferri does show a propensity to battle.

Pokémon Appearance:
Just a small Vulpix. Initially Tam thought she was small due to her illness and malnourished/anaemic form, but she remained diminuitive after medication and treatment, so that's just how she is. She's almost old enough to be spayed and still looks like a...cub? Kitten? Smol bab.

Okay, welcome. And I thought the opening post I had prepared was a long read. Good details. A Larvitar with Earthquake overdue for evolving would normally be the sort of thing that makes my (soon to be) overpowered character sense tingle, but from your writeup I believe you'll manage playing it well. So accepted.

Last edited:
Rip, my apologies for the long read. I can easily change that, if you wish, since I have neither intention for him to battle, nor evolve, preferably. I do think playing a potentially strong contender without them actually achieving the full potential for strength would be interesting, but not enough to resist any changes you recommend.

No, it's fine. No need to change stuff.

In other news: we're live, over here. (Yes, that was a bit under rather than over 24 hours.) If any of you want to you can write a slightly bigger opener for yourself, for instance about where you were and what you were doing during the events of my post, that's fine, but it’s also okay if you just pick up in the morning.

I'm adding these two pokémon to my reserved for NPC's post above.

Note: the battle in this post is pretty close to games legal aside from the big huge deviation at the start. I don’t expect you to follow that lead. You can come up with creative ways of battling and using your attacks.

We're two posts in and I'm already confused. :D

When are you coming back into the gym Scrub? Do I need to get these mysterious NPC's ringing the bell out of the way?

It probably wasn't the clearest description from my side. I did like your impressions of the other PC's. It's a good way to build up some group stuff.

I kind of assumed gym people lived at the gym. Although now that you mention it I have no idea why I assumed that. If you prefer you can have a home of your own or a small appartment nearby.

So, challenge one, get to your job in the morning.

Don't worry about the NPC's, I'll find a way to make their trouble drop in your lap.

A gym has living arrangements? How would that work? Assuming they aren't what the games make them out to be, are they on some kind of large campus, complete with dorms and a training dojo and classes, etc? I really assumed people were living nearby in rented apartments lol (or not nearby, as fate dictates :p some challenges are greater than others, especially regarding long commutes in the morning)

EDIT: ngl live-in arrangements would be great. Gives trainers more opportunity to run into each other and talk. Communication is key! cue the gossip

Last edited:
That's worldbuilding, there are always details you don't put enough thought into.

I was imagining more of a small monastery in scale rather than a large campus. (10 people rather than 10.000, which is how you're now in charge.) But normal people houses are good. Could provide a bunch of cool opportunities of their own.

Name:
Zoe Windsor

17, Female, Questioning, Caucasian/Pacific Islander

Character:
Zoe has never been the greatest at making conversation, but she's exceedingly friendly and enjoys being around other people. While she tends to be rather timid and has difficulty self-advocating, she blossoms around those she's close to and becomes quite talkative. Zoe has the patience of a saint and can be a great listener, though she can just as easily spill all her worries onto an unsuspecting acquaintance. She is incredibly trusting and steadfastly loyal to friends. Despite being somewhat oblivious to social cues, Zoe is very intelligent and quite capable of problem solving.

Skills and training:

Zoe is absolutely stellar in academics, and is great at strategizing and planning. She can make split-second decisions that often turns the tide of pokemon battles. Zoe has had a fair amount of training in the care of pokemon, and is rather knowledgable in their behavior.

Background:
Having been born in the Alola region, Zoe spent the first years of her life learning about pokemon with her mother. More specifically, they paid special attention to the dragon types of the area due to their rarity and potential endangerment. Her mother worked with the Aether Foundation, and would often let Zoe watch as she cared for injured pokemon. As Zoe matured her father got a high-paying job in Vetuschola, so her family moved to Steadbourg, much to her mother's dismay. Despite the sudden upheaval in her life and her Mother's many visits back to Alola, Zoe remained close to both her parents.

When Zoe turned 15, her mother returned with two baby dragon types: a Bagon and a Jangmo-o. Both pokemon had been found without parents, and Zoe's mother thought it would be good for Zoe to care for them. A bit cautious at first, Zoe quickly grew attached to the pokemon and dedicated herself to raising them properly. Knowing how dragon type pokemon love to spar and improve their battling, Zoe decided that applying for the Steadbourg Gym would be great for their growth. A few months after turning 17, Zoe deemed her pokemon ready for the challenge, and took her first step into life as a gym trainer.

Appearance:
Standing at 5'7", Zoe is a heavy-set girl with light brown skin and short dark hair. She tends towards wearing cooler colors, often sticking to t-shirts and yoga pants. A pair of light purple glasses settle on the bridge of her nose, and she occasionally wears bracelets crafted from shed scales.

Pokémon Name:
Lyric

Jangmo-o, 3 years old, Female

Bulletproof; Counter, Protect, Dragon Tail, Headbutt

Pokémon Character: Lyric is an excitable pokemon that loves to make music at every opportunity. Well, if the uncoordinated jangling of scales counts as music... Having little to no sense of personal space, she's unafraid of clambering into someone's lap and cuddling. Lyric is always sticking her head into things, curious about the world around her, and often winds up in places she shouldn't be. Zoe would have put a bell around her neck to keep track of her, but the constant jingle of scales have that covered already.

Pokémon Background: Before Lyric was found by Zoe's mother, she was the runt of a small batch of siblings. Her insatiable curiosity found her in situations that she was too weak to get out of, which led to her parents believing she was more trouble than she was worth. The little dragon was abandoned, and soon picked up by the Aether foundation. She would later be placed in the care of Zoe, who enjoyed her bubbly persona.

Pokémon Appearance: A tad smaller than a normal jangmo-o her age, Lyric wears a royal blue bandana around her neck with Zoe's home address embroidered on the inside.

Pokémon Name:
Marble

Bagon, 4 years old, Male

Rock Head; Ember, Dragon Breath, Headbutt, Crunch

Pokémon Character:
Marble is a quiet pokemon that is incredibly skittish around strangers. Very slow to trust, Marble typically stays near Zoe or Lyric and snarls at anyone else who gets too close. He is fiercely protective of his loved ones, and shows affection through silent companionship. It's a rare occurrence for Marble to make much noise unless something is unbearably upsetting, which makes determining his mood somewhat difficult.

Pokémon Background:
Marble had been bred for the use of Team Skull, and suffered severe mistreatment for the first year of his life. When that sect of the gang was dismantled by law enforcement, Marble was taken in to be rehabilitated by Zoe and her mother. It took ages for Marble to trust Zoe, but now they're almost inseparable.

Pokémon Appearance:
Marble is a bagon of average size that has faded scars on his snout. Sometimes Zoe will put him in a yellow vest with the words 'DO NOT PET' embroidered in big black lettering.

If we continue at this pace I might have to close the RP at some point, nice.

Character accepted! But...
She has two prevolutions to pseudo-legends. I will ask you not to get their power up too quickly. Since your character is already good at real time battle strategy the combination has the potential to outgrow the other characters a bit. But if you keep that in mind you should be fine.

Feel free to jump in! It's early enough that you can just already be a part of the crew, no mid-game style introduction needed.

I'm cackling; I scrolled through the thread again and noticed the edit with the Quagsire and Rhydon added in. The adorable difference between their Abouts aside, the fact that Delta Ace literally just said 'Understandable' directly after 'Rhy.' really makes it funny for me for some reason xD

Anyhow, I'm assuming that there's a kind of office space behind the gym, similar to a lab of types. Just to flesh it out, I'm assuming some medical supplies and such are kept there, along with paperwork of course, and- eh- I don't know, what other role does a Gym Leader play in a city? Do they have tie-ups with the Pokemon Centre and take in abandoned pokemon to add to their teams? Do they do some kind of service, like 'come socialize your pokemon, come watch us train our pokemon' or something? Or is it simply a battle arena with all these niceties elsewhere?

Thanks for accepting me! I totally understand about the baby pseudo-legendaries so I’ll be sure to keep them from getting too strong. (Whether or not they’re competent enough to actually follow through with what Zoe asks of them is yet to be seen.) I’ll start working on my intro post!

Anyhow, I'm assuming that there's a kind of office space behind the gym, similar to a lab of types. Just to flesh it out, I'm assuming some medical supplies and such are kept there, along with paperwork of course, and- eh- I don't know, what other role does a Gym Leader play in a city? Do they have tie-ups with the Pokemon Centre and take in abandoned pokemon to add to their teams? Do they do some kind of service, like 'come socialize your pokemon, come watch us train our pokemon' or something? Or is it simply a battle arena with all these niceties elsewhere?

The gym does provide a bunch of civil services. I couldn't think up a complete enough list, but the suggestions you make are good, and on top of that there will probably be a bit of an anime-style expectation that people have of gym leaders to help provide emergency services.

You making up NPC's is fine. For this particular case though: if the NPC is a mentor figure watch out with making them too competent/up to date on things. A competent experienced organizer can take over much of your work. On the other hand, if there are complications with the mentor figure that screw things up as much as he/she screws things down again, that would be very me approved. And if you have trouble coming up with complications I just thought of a pretty evil one. So I could fill this person in.

Kind of in general: be careful with adding too many people to the gym, even if it's totally realistic because the gym provides like a dozen different services to a whole city and that would realistically take a large staff.

Hello, hello- I know this story has started already, but maybe there's room for one more? I'd love to join this, since it's definitely more appealing/original than your average "travel the region" story.
Also, to quote @MegaAbsol (yes, I'm roping you into this. Experience discomfort!) "Mhm, it really is right up your alley. What's stopping you? * ^ *". So, here I am. Wondering if there's room left.

Hello, hello- I know this story has started already, but maybe there's room for one more? I'd love to join this, since it's definitely more appealing/original than your average "travel the region" story.
Also, to quote @MegaAbsol (yes, I'm roping you into this. Experience discomfort!) "Mhm, it really is right up your alley. What's stopping you? * ^ *". So, here I am. Wondering if there's room left.

Blocked >:0