• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Does anyone know how to get a shiny wthout a gameshark?

Wild Pokemon have a chance of being shiny. However, the odds are astronomical, like somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 in 8000. I also may be off by a factor of ten, but you get the idea.

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it.

Additionally, shiny Pokemon have no difference in stats. So they're pretty much just for bragging rights.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Awww so that will take me a long time........

Not necessarily. I found a shiny Geodude on LG at Mt. Moon under 5 hours into it. It's all just luck when it comes to encountering shiny Pokemon. Yeah, if you fight a lot of wild Pokemon you do have a better chance of finding a shiny simply because you have more chances to meet one, but it's still just the luck of the draw. You could play over 300 hours and never see one, and there's nothing that'll change that aside from hacking.

Don't "search" for shiny Pokemon. You'll just be wasting your time.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Indeed, the best thing you can do as far as Shinies are concerned is just make sure you have plenty of good Pokeballs with you at all times to catch any you might encounter. It's pointless to hunt them out as there's no actual way to make sure you'll find any.

I've only ever come across 2. One was a Shiny Pikachu in G/S, that I killed. The other was a Shiny Kyogre. ^^ Although the Kyogre itself was hacked into my Ruby game, the Shiny part of it was not. A very, very neat bonus. ^^

Luckily I've captured both of the shiny pokemon that I've seen :D

Nincada and Altaria

So I now have shiny Altaria, Ninjask and Shedinja

The joys of shiny Nincada :p

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I have still never even seen a shiny, except in sprite lists on various websites.

I think they are a myth, made up to annoy obsessive completists like me :o.

After a year of restarting every different version over and over again to see what the odds of getting a shiny are I've found that it's about 1-4000 chance of getting a shiny as a starter, 1-2000 at catching a wild shiny, and 1-6500 of getting a legendary shiny. ;D

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I got bored enough restarting my game 25 times to get a female starter... - and that probability is supposed to be 1/8! (iirc, it took me 2 attempts to get a female Mudkip, 8 attempts to get a female Treecko - and 25 attempts to get a female Torchic. Argh). I dread to think how many times I'd have to restart for a probability that is really 1/8000!

I got bored enough restarting my game 25 times

I had to restart the game about 55,000 times just to do the odds of the starters and assuming it takes about five minutes just to get up to the starters thats about 190 days of restarting and then I had to walk around for about 70 days to do the wild odds and about 100 days of restaring to do the legendaries which took up about a year of time if I was doing this every second of the day.

Pokemon Ruby has been out for roughly 3 years. Since it would be physically impossible for you to play every second of every day - hey, eating and such is important too - that would still require about 8 hours a day, if you got the game right when it came out. Even QQ, our resident Pokemon master, doesn't manage that.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
rinokwedjnfalwa, don't try and lie to us, we aint stupid. One warning for this, and your spam in the soundclip topic.

I have still never even seen a shiny, except in sprite lists on various websites.

I think they are a myth, made up to annoy obsessive completists like me :o.

They are not a myth they were created in a game for many porpuses....to show them off and to make people think they are super strong...And also my friend has a shiny crobat and my other friends has a shiny psyducks....pikachus....and a groudon...the only way to get shiny pokemon is by having alot of determanation...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Err... DarkLugia? Pretty sure baratron wasn't being serious ^^;

Like I've said before, determination has nothing to do with it. The key to getting a shiny Pokemon is pure and simple luck... Or cheating it in/getting it off someone else/catching red Gyarados/yadda yadda ;)

Most players by now know they're no more powerful than the usual colored Pokemon. Not just that, most shinies are kinda ugly. The reason why they're coveted so much is for the fact that they're rare, or different, and not everyone has one. Its human nature to want something others have and you don't, eh? Shinies otherwise have no real worth. If you set your sights on collecting all of 'em without a hacking device you'd go insane *Pokes baratron* XD

That all said, I still want shiny Charizard, Zangoose, and Flygon for their color schemes ;D

Shiny pokemon are VERY RARE and hard to get I have a dark brown persian and it is level 60 and a very neat pokemon but a shiny pokemons stats are lower than usaul and its very annoying because its defence is very low making it very weak...

Ive still NEVER seen a shiny but I try. I really do. Ive never actually seen a REAL shiny. Only hacked ones. But I really like Shiny Snorlaxes....even though its not that differnt and I like Corslas that are shiny.