• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Doctor Oak's Sprites Stuffs

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's been a while since I've done any Trainer Sprites - most of my attempts with the D/P ones have been cack and dumped, so they don't count. But here's a bunch of my sprites anyways. Lol, bandwagons.

First up, all my old sprites, all RP based from Pokeschool.

The first two are my Vampire Character, Alex - the same one in The Vampire Chronicles - first as his completely human appearance self and then secondly as his vampiric self. I've always been quite proud of how the vampire 'effect' worked - based on the Buffy/Angel/Whedonverse style obviously. It was rather hard to get down right, thanks to the super-smallness of Advance sprites. I should probably give it another go on the D/P sprites some time.

Next is Amber, the Vampire Slayer - again, also the same one in Vampire Chronicles. Pretty much just took a fighter and gave her Amber's hair...

After that is Arcinius - Nem's character - in retrospect, basing it on a Gary sprite is a bit of a daft thing, but it seemed right at the time.

The next two were sprites I was asked to create for other characters, Cassandra and Ch@n. Cass was a magician like Gary and Arcinius, so yeah, random flame in hand. The blonde hair doesn't seem to have worked too well though... Ch@n was a being of light that had taken the form of a Hitmonchan. I like the light effect on the eyes but I'm not really sure what the deal is with the black/white... I'm sure there was a proper reason for it but it was too long ago for me to possibly remember.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Seperate post 'cos of the attachment thing...

First up in this lot is Daisy Oak, the Vampire Slayer - the one before Amber - I think I really only changed the clothing around on this one. Might have fiddled with the hair too, I had a habit of doing that for most sprites when I couldn't think of anything else to do... Anyway, her story as a character is fairly interesting. I brought her in after 'killing off' Gary Oak to A) mourn his passing and B) have another character to use in the period he was dead. She started off as just a normal girl but that got boring really quickly, so I gave her another hook - and that was that she was a Vampire Slayer. The Vampire Slayer for that matter.

Her backstory ended up being that Gary had been her Watcher following some disagreement with The Council, so I didn't need to worry about a messier backplot concerning it. She just simply was a Slayer and thus she went out to Slay. This more or less completely changed the entire Pokeschool RP forum from its sort of DBZ/Pokemon/Star Wars hybrid thing it had mutated into in its years before I came along to a more sort of Buffy/Harry Potter/Pokemon hybrid thing and pretty soon Demons, Vampires, and other nasty things were rife in the Pokemon world on Pokeschool. Pretty much all because I got bored of RPing as a 'normal girl' character...

Gary, as it turns out, was never actually dead - he'd faked his death in order to get his arch-enemy, Giovanni, to let his guard down and then came back just when it was most dramatic and cool and won the day.

It does sound a bit silly in summary, and not a lot of it entirely original, but hey, this is what we spent years building up - and the nostalgia is very strong. :)

Anyways, after all that, we have Giovanni himself - a much more dynamic and interesting sprite than his actual Fr/Lg incarnation - and it suited him far more for my version of him. Though really, Giovanni never used any Pokemon other than Mewthree (Yes, we went there) for 99% of my entire use of the character at Pokeschool.

Next up is Hayato, a character by RedDragon, who was one of Gary's 'crew' back in the day, and was often seen in my various topics as a pretty prominent character. It was his idea to have the emphasis on the red to go with the red hair, but I think it's a pretty good splice overall.

Lee Tupper asked me to do this for him. It's based off a birdkeeper sprite. I wont be going any further into Lee Tupper else we get into some stupid discussion I don't want to even think about.

I've done better sprites than this Mewthree... but it does kinda get across the biomechanical idea that was its entire point. Rather than trying to clone an actual Pokemon to work for him, Giovanni decided to take cloned biological material of Mew and use SCIENCE(!) to enhance its power AND be able to control it. It also meant that since it wasn't really alive, I could kill it and bring it back as much as I liked.

This is the first Gary sprite, using magic and with his normal hair. I don't really need to explain it further.

Teehee, I remember all of these characters! ^_^ Ahh...the memories of those end-of-the-world RPs...so fun.

I actually like what you did with Ch@n. I always had issues with picturing him in my head, so it's nice to see what you did.

I also really like the two Alex ones. They're pretty cool, and the two faces are just spiffy.

The ones in the second post are a lot better, in my opinion. Daisy's hair and outfit are really well done, and I like Giovanni's new pose. The others are cool too, and I especially like Mewthree, but I think the those two are my favorites. :)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Next Gary sprite, after using himself as a conduit for a massive amount of Crescent Magic to drive back the forces of Hell in a final climactic battle, Gary was physically and mentally changed. His hair was burnt white, his eyes lost their colour and his fingertips were burned off - which meant he actually couldn't feel anything that he touched.

The next one after that is further movement down the line after this event. Gary was so changed and drained after that battle that he decided to step away from what his life had become over those past few years - a constant fight against the next big evil. Confident that the world would be safe in the hands of his best friend Arcinius, and those he had fought alongside in recent battles, he abandoned his life as "hero" and resumed his Pokemon Training career. This was, at the time, when we managed to finally get a seperate forum for Pokemon Role Plays following their resurgence - so the whole change was planned by me from the instant I began the Pandora storyline in ORP. Unfortunately, we all know what happened to Pokeschool after that and I just started to slowly drift away from Role Play in general - so I never really got to expand much further on what Gary's path could have led to.

Right, now we're finally on to the new sprites. Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Venusaur Cosplayers - which was actually fairly difficult to work out with the placements of the bulbs on their backs. The last one is the base for the Ivysaur girl - which is in itself a splice of three trainers edited to fit - it'd need recoloured to make it a proper sprite in and of itself, but I figured it was worth posting without an Ivysaur bulb stitched to her back. Incidentally, the Bulbasaur bulb is attatched to the little girl by means of a belt, the Ivysaur bulb is attached to the girl as part of her bikini and the Venusaur ... 'thing' is part of the guy's t-shirt. Just if you were wondering how on earth they work as Cosplayers, lol.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Charmander Cosplayer. I'm not entirely sure if it works all that well, so comments for it would be really helpful before I go onto do the other two in the line. I tried to make it look as if the flame had been drawn onto a piece of paper and stuck onto the tail the girl has attatched to her... not sure if it's too apparent though...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Just so you know, you can post constructive criticism... I'm not going to ban anyone for it >_>...

In that case....Hahahahaha/// I think the charmander cosplay could use some restricting for her sleeves....Right now they seem to melt into a skin tone. As for the Swimmer girl, Aaron splice......They dont really fit together. But if you altered some of Swimmer girls curves, it might work.

I'm digging the Venusman sprite, first of all - easily the best of the Bulbasaur line. As far as the Charwomander, the hat looks really flat. Other than that, I think it came out well - also, if you want to make the paper-flame more apparent, I'd make the white margin a little wider, and maybe not follow the outline of the fire exactly, if you get what I'm saying.

I think I better way to convince people that the Charwomander's (XD) flame is drawn on is if the fire was crooked or if it bent like a piece of paper would.

I also like the Bulbasaur cosplayer the best out of the Saur cosplayers because the bulb is bigger than the girl's head and her pose naturally makes it look like she's reaching back to keep the thing up.

Poor girl's gonna get crushed by the bulb ;-;

First off

*fanboish squeal*

*Tackles Gary*

Okay, then,

Your so much better than me >_X I like the Bulba-Line alot, the venasaur one made me laugh alot^^ In the good way!