• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Do you watch the Pokemon anime?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
May started off kind of hilarious because of her sheer n00bosity. Then she just became bland and then she became obnoxiously Sue-ish. *shrugs*. But then again, Ash's female companions are always obnoxious. Serena so far has been fairly harmless - and her presence as a newbie trainer means that Ash doesn't have to be as spectacularly brain-dead as he was in BW. That's already a good point in my book.

And Clemont being part of the group rather than Just There is kind of a huge thing, too.

I'm personally hoping we'll get to see her evolve into a proper character (and maybe into an actual competent battler for a fucking change). Of course it's rather likely that she'd end up just showcasing the game's outfit swap system instead but... yeah. It could be interesting to see where she develops. Perhaps her story would be more about the journey than the destination and that may lead to some interesting character development?

... who am I kidding, it's the fucking Pokémon anime. Ah well. A biomechanical fuzzball can dream.

Ash's female companions usually fall into two groups:

1. Tag along female Gym leader who acts superior to Ash and mocks him for his mistakes. While this was understandable when Misty did it because Ash really was a moron back in Kanto, after Ash became so skilled by the end of DP it was a shame to see him reset to a terrible trainer again and have Iris mock him.

2. The beginning trainer who looks up to Ash as her mentor, becomes a coordinator, goes through a series of failings on how to be a good trainer, and then gets better by the end and strikes out on her own.

Serena's role/design places her in the May/Dawn category, but obviously Contests aren't returning and there doesn't seem to be anything else to take their place so I'm not sure what they're going to do with her.

Also its obvious at this point none of Ash's female friends will ever challenge Gym leaders or battle in the league. They already passed the first Gym and Serena showed no interest in battling so that boat has sailed.

In my opinion the pokemon anime is just that, another kids anime that has yet to have any adult appeal i actually find them kind of boring, even when i was a little kid I didn't have much interest in it. I think that the anime is just there (if for any reason at all) to just give another face for the games.

I haven't watched the anime since about 2 seasons into sinnoh. That's not to say Pokémon wasn't once my favorite tv show, and that I don't still watch an episode here or there. Unova, in my opinion, is boring, full of flat, annoying, characters (cough cough Cilan cough), and now seems to me like a shameless advertisement for bw/bw2. I do on the other hand, like the XY anime much more, albeit it's childish tone and the fact that Ash acts like a total noob in it. But I will still always miss gen 1-3, when the series had character development, a (seemingly at the time) less repetitive plot, and most of all, no annoying-ass NPCs from black/white games that should have NEVER seen the light of day again after we finished those games' campaigns

Last edited:
the black and white series was a tiny bit brutal at times. like, would you like to be an evolved bird that is commanded to attack an electric mouse that grabs you by the feet and smashes you to the ground? and dont you think its weird that nearly every fire type Ash gets, its been abandoned? Charmander was left on a rock...he found Cyndaquil in Cave because that where they were native...i dont know where he got Torchic...Chimchar...dont remember..Tepig left abandoned in a kind of warehouse area..and i havent seen any of X and Y yet...ahah

Cyndaquil wasn't abandoned per say but there is still a similarity to how he obtained Charmander in that he did save it from the covet of an abusive, asshole trainer. Something I actually did not pick up on when I finally saw the Cyndaquil episode.

Ash never gets Torchic. While I didn't watch all of Hoenn, I assume he'd have one by Battle Frontier if he were going to find one.
That is actually one aspect of the Hoenn series I found unique that instead of Ash obtaining all the regions starters they are all shared between the team. Ash Treeko, Brock Mudkip and May was the one who had Torchic.

Last edited:
I think the anime is okay. I like the video games and manga more. I liked Kanto and Hoenn. Wasn't a fan of much after that, though.

I didn't really like Dawn much, so I gave up on Sinnoh for a bit. B/W was pretty good. I liked Iris.

Last edited by a moderator:
After Ash won the Rainbow badge is when I stopped watching, but the circumstances were beyond my control. I seen bits of every season/generation, but not enough to tell you what's been happening...I feel out of touch in that regard.

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
Well, I've been a fan of the Pokemon Anime, back in the days of Kanto.I really haven't watched much, of the other regions, but it kills time for boredom.But, I have to say, I love the contest arc's, and X and Y seems interesting, with Ash's new look.

I watched all the seasons exempt unova and Kalos right now I'm up to diamond and pearl in the sinnoh region and so far it's awesome mostly with pikachu!

I loved the anime as a child but now, almost 15 years later, it just got too stupid for me.
Every episode feels the same and the quote-on-quote "characters" are flatter than a Stunfisk that got attacked with Rollout by a Golem.

I do still watch the movies, though more in bemusement than in amusement.
At least the plots do change up from the usual concept a bit. I just wish they'd learn how to properly use CGI or stopped using it all together. I mostly watch it for the cute animals, the less humans the better.

I really liked the Pokémon Origins OVA though, I wish they'd do more like that or start a new series based on the comic Pocket Monsters Special.

Watched First Season Of Indigo League. Really No. Anime Not Lots Of Battles. I Like PKMN Origins. They Worked Super Well With That One. BUT WHY THE HELL IS IT 4 EPISODES?! Are you messing with me nintendo? BECAUSE ITS NOT FUNNY! WE NEED AN OTHER SEASON OF PKMN ORIGINS!!!!!!!!!!