• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Differences between 3rd & 4th gen

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Is there an FAQ somewhere that details all the differences between the 3rd and 4th generations? I already know about the Physical vs Special split and the fact eggs now hatch at level 1 instead of level 5 :p. I don't much care about new moves, because they're new and I have no expectations of them. What I'm interested in are the differences in moves we all know and "love".

e.g. HM06 Rock Smash - had a power of 20 in the GBA games, but is improved to 40 in Diamond & Pearl.
TM28 Dig - had a power of 60 in the GBA games, but is improved to 80 in Diamond & Pearl.

Rock Smash is actually useful as a move on newbie/low-lvl pkmn now!

So yeah - what other changes have been made to existing moves, or what exciting new moves have been added to old Pokemon?

They've changed the PP max on Absorb, Mega Drain and Giga Drain. All the attacks have gained 5 PP (Absorb-25, Mega Drain-15, Giga Drain-10) but have retained their base attack strength. You don't have Flash as an HM anymore either. It's replaced by Defog and Flash has been demoted to a TM (TM71).

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
They've changed the PP max on Absorb, Mega Drain and Giga Drain. All the attacks have gained 5 PP (Absorb-25, Mega Drain-15, Giga Drain-10) but have retained their base attack strength.

Niiice ;).

Another move that's changed power is HM02 Fly, which has increased in power from 70 in the GBA games to 90 in Diamond & Pearl.

Something odd I discovered over the past couple of days is that Surf now behaves like Earthquake in a Double Battle, and hits not only your two opponents, but also your ally. In the 3rd gen it would only hit the opposing pokemon, not yours as well. Are there any other moves like this that previously hit 2 foes and now hit 2 foes + 1 ally?

And does anyone know of a "differences" FAQ anywhere online, 'cos if not, I'll have to write one - if only for my own benefit!

Well, HM 08 from R/S/E. Dive's power has been increased from 60 to 80. And isn't used as an HM. Only Seel, Dewgong, Wailmer, Wailord, Huntail , Gorebyss, Relicanth, Phione, and Manaphy.