• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Diamond and Pearl News Discussion

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Speak for yourself. I liked what I played of it and I'll definitely be getting it launch day unless severely broke/sick/busy.

Besides. It's Pokemon ^^

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Lessee, all these games... I'm going to get my DS Lite soon, so my pockets'll be empty pretty soon. Damn the good games! Damn them I say!

Anyway, can't wait to see more 4th gen pokemon! The starters, well, it's sort of stereotypical to not be able to wait to see them, but oh well. :p I just can't wait to see more pokemon in general. Judging from those we've seen so far, gen 4's going to rock your socks.

Good news: EB Games is taking pre-orders on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue & Red Rescue Teams now! Not Ranger yet, but that should follow in a month or two.

(Other new pre-orderable games include Final Fantasy III, Children of Mana, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis and Super Paper Mario.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nyaa...Pachi-chan is soooo adorable...*huggles* If I ever get a Pachirisu in my game...I might name it Pachi...just cuz Pachi-chan kinda sounds cool. X3

Anyways, I dunno what the heck Dorapion could be based off of in terms of Japanese myths, but I don't know all the mythical creatures there are. So...yeah...accordion scorpion...-_-

Cherimu's kinda cute, though. Not as cute as Buoysel or Pachi-chan, but still cute. If it has a cool evolution (or a strong one), I might use it, or if there are no better non-starter grass types, then I'll end up using it anyways.

And if the US gets these games by Christmas, I'd be very surprised. Happy, but surprised. I'm betting more along the lines of late January, since it took four months for Ruby and Sapphire to get here. However, it's been taking over seven months for recent Pokemon games to get to the US, so I really hope that won't be the case for DP. If it is...somebody from NoA is going to disappear...with nothing but a bloody plastic spork in their desk chair left...^_^

And does anybody else think that the screenshot where somebody is using the stylus (I think) to put a crown on a Pachirisu is not a "custom sprite/dress up your Pokemon" thing, but a Poke-purikura thing? I went on the Serebii.net forums, cuz I was bored, and they were all, "yay, Pokemon dress-up." I saw that, and was all, "oh hey, Pokemon purikura." -_-;; Dress-up sprites would be soooo lame. Plus, there were flowers. It looked more like a pattern-paint (something like in purikura) than a dress-up thing.

Besides...what self-respecting Dorapion would want flowers on its head? X3

The first thing I thought of is that the person was dragging the King's Crown onto the Pokemon. :\ Considering there were berries on the side, i think you can just drag items onto the Pokemon to make them hold it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ditto to TBA, but I actually think dressing up your Pokemon would be fun. It's definitely one of the things I enjoyed in Nintendogs. My puppy's a pirate! ;)

And you're probably right, Persian. Dorapion is probably loosely based on some object/some bug and nothing more. I read something about it being able to "fold itself up", so maybe it's an oragami Pokemon?

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v:pXqZ8TlaaNs

The japanese commercial for Diamond and Pearl, complete with map and - possibly - where the starters are found. Lovely shots of dressing up, and some scenery. ^_^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wii! It actually loaded up right that time for me ;D

The intro with the new Legends looked awesome, and I like the look of the map. Glad to see some islands after all, one of which that looks huge ^^

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yeah..the middle routes are pretty much going under/over the mountains. So I guess that's where the underground will be. At least I hope so.

Also, I don't think we'll be dressing up are Pokémon, it just looks like dragging items.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Shinemap.png

A slightly better version of the map Katie posted.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Just read this on Serebii. It seems that you can only transfer Pokemon from one game to another if it's the same language/region, so no transferring Pokemon from the English Advance gen games to an imported version of D/P.

Not sure how many people planned to do this in the first place, but I know Nem was asking about it.

Yeah, this was confirmed yesterday afternoon. I have no plans to complete my import Diamond (I want to save most of the game for the English release), but all this does is give me another half-year to train my team.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a question, tho. If it's "region specific", exactly which regions does it mean? Is it saying that people who own Advance games bought in the UK can't transfer them to the American imported versions? (My apologizes if this is a totally stupid question =/).

EDIT:

Coronis has made my day.

"This brings to another point in D/P. It seems like you do not need the National Dex to be able to trade non-Shinou pokemons. These pokemons will not show up in your Shinou dex of course, but will when you get the national dex. You can still use them though, but their Pokedex numbers in their stat screen will appear as ??? until you get the National Dex."

Thank you, programmers. THANK YOU! ^___^

This more or less means that Eggs are tradeable, too, and anyone who knows me knows how much I take advantage of that option (and how much I resented the fact that you couldn't do it in FR/LG pre-Nat. Dex). Even if they aren't, I can still breed the Pokemon, hatch 'em, and trade 'em over to use throughout the main game ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Here's a question, tho. If it's "region specific", exactly which regions does it mean? Is it saying that people who own Advance games bought in the UK can't transfer them to the American imported versions? (My apologizes if this is a totally stupid question =/).

EDIT:

Coronis has made my day.

"This brings to another point in D/P. It seems like you do not need the National Dex to be able to trade non-Shinou pokemons. These pokemons will not show up in your Shinou dex of course, but will when you get the national dex. You can still use them though, but their Pokedex numbers in their stat screen will appear as ??? until you get the National Dex."

Thank you, programmers. THANK YOU! ^___^

This more or less means that Eggs are tradeable, too, and anyone who knows me knows how much I take advantage of that option (and how much I resented the fact that you couldn't do it in FR/LG pre-Nat. Dex). Even if they aren't, I can still breed the Pokemon, hatch 'em, and trade 'em over to use throughout the main game ^^

Of course, this is only for DS-DS (Maybe WiFi, i'm not sure how the Union Room works yet as I don't have anyone to try it with) Diamond/Pearl - Diamond/Pearl trading. You can't ask for them on the GTS (You can only request Pokemon you've seen) and you can't use the Pal Park till the Nat Dex.

Not really THAT much of a benefit. You're still going to need at least one friend with the game who has got the Nat Dex... But it is beneficial nonetheless.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Friends? Who needs friends when you have both games and two DS? ;)

Maybe not that beneficial for some, but definitely is for players like me who buy both games in order to restart much lots. Relying on friends over wifi would be more hassle than it's worth.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.pokemon.com/#diamondandpearl_1

Where it mentions the "Pokemon connection battles" below the direct connect vs WFC lists... are those quick battle options that exist on WFC as well? The Multi Battle thing is what I'm most interested in. Last I heard that was a direct-connect only feature, but it'd be fun if it was an online feature, too.

Silly question

im assuming that the diamond cartridge is blue and Pearl's is pink? (cause this is sorta the desiding element on which I will choose....)

They're both dark gray, like every other DS card, but the colours on the labels are blue and pink, yes. Might seem a bit disappointing, but the labels are holofoil and the white bit at the top of the card where it says "Nintendo DS" is now black, so they're still doing something special with 'em.

I'm curious, are you able to meet up with people in the underground only locally or can you do it over the internet?
You do it locally, I would know since I tried it on WiFi and failed. But, don't worry. When it arrives where you are, thousands of others will be playing, possibly one will be near enough to link you.

You do it locally, I would know since I tried it on WiFi and failed. But, don't worry. When it arrives where you are, thousands of others will be playing, possibly one will be near enough to link you.

Oh, ok. Thanks! I also got another question. For the GTS, do you need to see the Pokemon and register it in your Pokedex before you can ask to trade for that Pokemon?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Then how are you supposed to get Palkia during the game if you've only seen Diagla? Or do you see Palkia during some part of the game?

I think that was one of the catches the programmers made purposely. That way, nobody can ask for rares like Mew over the GTS. You'd need to connect up with a friend via friend codes to trade for them.

A good idea IMO.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Then how are you supposed to get Palkia during the game if you've only seen Diagla? Or do you see Palkia during some part of the game?

You get shown a picture of the other eponymous legendary during the game and it adds it to your Pokedex as seen. Meeting Emurit will do the same thing, then it will run off and you can track it. This means you can complete your Sinnoh Dex without needing to capture/trade for these Pokemon. Cresselia is the same, though not counted as part of the Sinnoh Dex.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Having to feed your Pokémon would be annoying and something they would never implement... Hopefully

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The anime Poffin /=/ game Poffin.

The anime's Poffin appears to be candy like Pokeblocks, the game Poffin on the other hand is bread and comes in distinctly bready colours.