1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Tennant vs. Matt Smith

Discussion in 'Small Talk' started by Myth Busted, Jul 29, 2011.

?

Which is the better Doctor, David Tennant or Matt Smith?

1. Tennant

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Smith

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Tennant

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  4. Smith

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Alex's ego trip continues.

2. Doctor Oak

Staff Member Overlord

Needs the chatlog to make sense:

3. I love Matt Smith, I really do, but ... I prefer David Tennant. It took a little while to get used to Smith, but after that he became a pretty good Doctor. But David Tennant - imho - is just that bit better.

It's not like I'm just like "OMG DAVID TENNANT WAS SOOO MUCH BETTAR BRING HIM BACK I HATE MATT SMITTHHHCFCJCHDtcufyd", I do have my reasons. |D

See, Tennant's Doctor, to me, had a better personality, er, slightly better acting if I may. As I've said, I do enjoy Smith as a Doctor, but yeah. David Tennant as a Doctor was a nice guy, he tried to do his best and whatever and occasionally something would trigger pain and sadness (about (POSSIBLE SPOILER) killing all the other Time Lords) and cause him to have a bit of a breakdown WHICH WAS COOL because really, who wouldn't sometimes go a little crazy if you'd done that?

Whereas Smith's Doctor is usually completely random. I mean, he's completely eccentric (which is fun) and all that stuff but he's just far too random and "well I think - OH LOOK AT THIS - I think I'll just go over here and WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" /enter emotional breakdown followed by tea and biscuits. In some things you can get that sort of thing to work, but it just doesn't. For me, at least.

(also Amy is a bit of a b*tch and Rory almost dies in every single episode. Rory would make a good Nurse Who :|)

teehee, I don't usually rant like this ♥

4. I'm not casting a vote because I don't want to make a decision. Yes, I adored David Tennant as The Doctor, I did. I love David Tennant in general, and his Doctor made the series for me so much more enjoyable. I admit that I shed a tear or two when he regenerated, and I was so adamantly against liking Matt Smith that I had shot him down before I had ever seen him in the show.

However, after watching the last series and what's aired of the current series, I can say that Matt Smith has become The Doctor in my eyes. It didn't take me long to get over the fact that he wasn't David Tennant, even though it freaking sucked that Tennant was gone. I really enjoy Matt Smith's portrayal and I look forward to many more seasons with him as The Doctor. Especially with Moffat as head writer, because I can honestly say that I've enjoyed series 5 and 6 more than the David Tennant ones, but it's a combination of Matt Smith /and/ Steven Moffat that make that possible.

So, yeah, I'm taking the diplomatic approach and just going with I ACTUALLY HONESTLY LIKED/LIKE THEM BOTH. And I don't care how many times you try and get me to choose one over the other, I won't. Each portrayal of the Doctor is different, it's just like what Tennant's Doctor said; once he regenerates, he isn't himself anymore. He's someone else. It's like dying. So, they're both awesome.

5. I believe Matt Smith portrays the Doctor the lion's share of the audience wants the Doctor to be like; Quite litteraly a madman with a box. The first one or two episodes of Matt Smith, I did still prefer David Tennant, but... Let's face it, the new two seasons are too goddamn epic to be called lesser then the previous.

In my opinion, (And Chad's >> ) Tennant and Smith are equally good. Both are amazing actors and seemingly born for the role of the Doctor. I preferred Tennant at first because he's better at playing the more serious emotions, anger and sadness and the like- Again, in my opinion. But Smith is a brilliant blabbermouth and generally goofy, the traits that make the Doctor so likeable. Essentialy, their specific talents are opposite, but equally great.

In other words, I won't be casting a vote either, just for the fact that they're both brilliant. Maybe it's an idea to add a 'both' option?

(I don't really like Amy either, not compared to Sarah or Rose. She's very much like a failed attempt at a bad-ass heroine. Not saying she isn't hawt. And Rory is... Awesome, mostly because of his actor and his hestitant/goofy personality.)

And lastly, because I've been holding it back while typing this; AMFG DR. WHO.

6. IGNORANT HUMAN.

THESE 'MATT SMITH' AND 'DAVID TENNANT' PEOPLE YOU SPEAK OF ARE THE SAME PERSON.

THE DOCTOR.

THOU SHALST BE THROWN INTO THE TIME VORTEX FOR THY IGNORANCE.

Overlooking that, I'd have to say that the tenth incarnation of the Doctor appeals most to me, just for his personality and the fact that he's ACTUALLY SCOTTISH.

Of course, number eleven is cool as well, can't forget him.

NOW OFF TO THE TIME VORTEX.

7. Demelza

Demelza Eevee Tamer
    Staff Member Moderator

This is quite hard for me as I hadn't watched Doctor Who until the season where Tennant became the Doctor.

I agree with what others have said about David being ably to act out sadness and anger better then Matt, but that said I like the funny/mad/nuts Doctor that Matt plays. Overall I'd say I love both, I loved all the seasons that David was the Doctor and although i wasn't keen on Matt in the first season he did I do really like him now.

To be honest though like the Doctor has said in the show, once he changes he isn't the same person. Therefor each new actor plays the role differently and it's very hard to say; "Well this guy plays the role better then this guy" because it's not like they're trying to play the same guy 100% each actor brings something new.

8. In my opinion, David Tennant is definitely a better actor than Matt Smith. But I much prefer Smith's version of the Doctor to Tennant's. The 10th Doctor never quite felt like a proper Doctor to me. I felt like Tennant made his Doctor a bit too human, so much so that he didn't really seem alien. Smith's Doctor, on the other hand, has brought that across very well, particularly in 'The Lodger'. He also has this distinct old-fashioned-ness to him that fits with the character very well.

Also, Amy and Rory beat every companion the 10th Doctor had hands-down.

9. OBJECTION!

Donna was the most important woman in the universe, I'm sorry. Plus she's just so freaking epic! I mean come on, she is actually full of timelord knowledge, and had to have mer memories erased because of it. Freaking. Badass.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

10. Re: David Tennant vs. Matt Smith

Donna was merely a Christmas Special comic relief character that they expanded on. Amy has a backstory and is pretty much the first ever Doctor Who companion to not be completely useless.
    And Rory locks Hitler in a cupboard. Your argument is invalid.

11. Doctor Oak

Staff Member Overlord

People are voting the wrong way for this poll.

If you actually read the chatlog, you'll see that the real question isn't which actor you prefer as the Doctor, it's who's the better Doctor in the better show?

The answer to that is quite clearly Matt Smith. David Tennant did a good job with what he had and all, but the 5 years previous to Smith and Moffat's run on Who are all pretty much universally tripe in comparison.