• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Danganronpa/Murder mystery RP interest check

Shen: King of Digimon

Previously Shen: King of the Mist
Most of my plan is detailed in the first post (in the game mechanics spoiler), but a few things have been added due to discussion in the thread:
  • Each roleplayer may have up to two characters, when sign ups are closed, the number of characters will determine how long the plot goes on for (number of trials, amount of new areas I have to create, etc).
  • There are few restrictions in terms of character creation (so far they are just talent restrictions), but the characters themselves will have a set of rules they have to follow if they don't want to risk death of their character.
  • Any player may contact me before the start of the game to request to be the mastermind, and said person will collaborate with me on certain plot points involving their character.
  • Both the victim and culprit are determined using a random number generator, unless a player specifically asks for their character to be killed off due to OOC responsibilities or lack of interest in the roleplay.
  • Both the victim and culprit will be contacted seperately after the roll and will talk with me to determine how the murder was carried out and what evidence was left behind.
  • Investigation will last from the time of the murder to the time of the trial (most likely 1-3 days IRL)
  • The trial will start on a weekend or other day when all of the players are free and will last 24 IRL hours.
I think that covers most of it, if there's anything I missed feel free to ask about that.

Sounds good to me, outside that last bullet point. But aside that, I think I’m ready to post my characters:

Name: Percy Van Pertrigue
Sex: male
Talent: Super High School Level: Drawer
Appearance: black wavy hair that's curled around his head and along his ear, spiking up back behind his head in two big poofs. Has a long black coat that drapes down along with a dark purple undershirt. He also has a long purple scarf and a pencil behind his left ear

Personality:
Percy is known to be extravagant, always thinking big toward his career. He has big plans but has skewed ways to get toward his goal. He draws nearly everyday, usually creatures, monsters, mechs, or other things from Sci fi or anime. Percy is full of pride for what he does, and refuses to accept poor criticisms. He once tried to become a Painter first, and ended up being so much a disaster he had to be expelled from painting school in fear of harming other students. He has a hard time talking to others unless he has common ground, otherwise his normal ice breaker is: "what do you think of this piece?" He also seems to have an nearly endless supply of pencils. He seems to also have a photographic memory

Name: ‘Ralphie’ Yuno

Talent: Super High School Level: Archer

Appearance: wearing a black jacket with a hood, as well as a leather shirt in underneath scratched with arrow hits. He also wears black leather pants with an bow attachment on his back. He always carries around a canister of arrows.

Personality:

Although seemingly dense and tough on the outside with a stern expression, he’s actually pretty soft. He’s a firm believer in taking responsibility for one’s actions and hates excuses. Being extremely accurate with his bow and arrow, he uses it as a way to disagree with people or simply interact with others

Sounds good to me, outside that last bullet point. But aside that, I think I’m ready to post my characters:

Name: Percy Van Pertrigue
Talent: Super High School Level: Drawer
Appearance: black wavy hair that's curled around his head and along his ear, spiking up back behind his head in two big poofs. Has a long black coat that drapes down along with a dark purple undershirt. He also has a long purple scarf and a pencil behind his left ear

Personality:
Percy is known to be extravagant, always thinking big toward his career. He has big plans but has skewed ways to get toward his goal. He draws nearly everyday, usually creatures, monsters, mechs, or other things from Sci fi or anime. Percy is full of pride for what he does, and refuses to accept poor criticisms. He once tried to become a Painter first, and ended up being so much a disaster he had to be expelled from painting school in fear of harming other students. He has a hard time talking to others unless he has common ground, otherwise his normal ice breaker is: "what do you think of this piece?" He also seems to have an nearly endless supply of pencils. He seems to also have a photographic memory

Name: ‘Ralphie’ Yuno

Talent: Super High School Level: Archer

Appearance: wearing a black jacket with a hood, as well as a leather shirt in underneath scratched with arrow hits. He also wears black leather pants with an bow attachment on his back. He always carries around a canister of arrows.

Personality:

Although seemingly dense and tough on the outside with a stern expression, he’s actually pretty soft. He’s a firm believer in taking responsibility for one’s actions and hates excuses. Being extremely accurate with his bow and arrow, he uses it as a way to disagree with people or simply interact with others
Both accepted, however, I'd like to ask that everyone else hold off on posting their characters until I create the official discussion thread. There's still a few things I have to work out before this roleplay can officially get off the ground.

Sounds good to me, outside that last bullet point.
  • The trial will start on a weekend or other day when all of the players are free and will last 24 IRL hours.
I feel I should have addressed this earlier, but what about the last bullet point is bad? Is the trial time too short? Is the weekend a bad time for you?

Also, I guess claiming SHSL titles on this thread is fine. Just don't post full character bios quite yet.

I feel I should have addressed this earlier, but what about the last bullet point is bad? Is the trial time too short? Is the weekend a bad time for you?

Also, I guess claiming SHSL titles on this thread is fine. Just don't post full character bios quite yet.

Its just that why contrain in to 24 hours? Why not expand the timeframe. Because I don’t we could actually finish it in such a short time.

Its just that why contrain in to 24 hours? Why not expand the timeframe. Because I don’t we could actually finish it in such a short time.
The way I see it, a day wherein everyone can be active and debate is pretty fair, considering that the estimated time between the murder and the trial is probably going to be around 2-3 days. Plus, the trial can't go on forever, for obvious reasons. Having said that, how much of a timeframe expansion do you think would be required to reach some sort of conclusion?

The way I see it, a day wherein everyone can be active and debate is pretty fair, considering that the estimated time between the murder and the trial is probably going to be around 2-3 days. Plus, the trial can't go on forever, for obvious reasons. Having said that, how much of a timeframe expansion do you think would be required to reach some sort of conclusion?

I’d say three days is fair, because one day seems way too short to get anything meaningful done. Not to mention if people get busy, then precious time would be wasted. With three days we can be a bit less tightly wound as well as having time to actually get arguments in

I’d say three days is fair, because one day seems way too short to get anything meaningful done. Not to mention if people get busy, then precious time would be wasted. With three days we can be a bit less tightly wound as well as having time to actually get arguments in
I see your point, although three days solely for the debate part of the trial seems a bit excessive. I think that players would be able to debate over the course of two days, with the third trial day being dedicated to players getting their final thoughts in, voting, and the execution of the culprit.

I see your point, although three days solely for the debate part of the trial seems a bit excessive. I think that players would be able to debate over the course of two days, with the third trial day being dedicated to players getting their final thoughts in, voting, and the execution of the culprit.

Yeah that’s what I mean. 3 days for the trail in total is what I was aiming at

is everything set then? or is there more to discuss before actually roleplaying?
Unless anyone has any problem with the current rules, pretty much everything is set. I just need to write up an intro/create an official sign up post and we're good to go (normally I'd have that stuff set up already, but I honestly wasn't expecting this to go from no attention to gaining enough people to start within a day or two).

Alright, before I post the sign up thread, I'd like to be sure of one thing.
I'll tally the votes and if the majority votes on the culprit, only they are executed and the rest of the cast continues the roleplay. If not, everyone is executed except for the perpetrator and the mastermind.
As of now, this rule is still in place. However, as it has what could be considered game ruining consequences, I'd like to clarify that everyone who is currently down to participate is okay with this ruling. I don't want anyone to feel cheated if they rule the case wrong and, therefore, don't get to experience the whole of the story. If you are not alright with this, I have also proposed some alternatives.

Potential options as of now in the case of a mistrial:
  1. All of the characters bar for the perpetrator and the mastermind are executed. (Default option)
  2. The person with the most votes is executed, regardless of whether or not they are innocent. (in this case, some additional rule such as "To escape, find the mastermind or get away with murder twice" would have to be implemented).
  3. No one is executed (unless guilty), but the person with the most votes is mutilated in some form or fashion and the perpetrator continues to remain a mystery (same addendum to the rules as option 2).
  4. The rule remains the same, but it would be up to the players to determine an adequate counterbalance if they don't want to all be executed at once (potentially requires the same addendum to the rules as options 2 and 3).
That being said, everything else is finished enough to start sign-ups. The sign-up thread should be up later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Alright, before I post the sign up thread, I'd like to be sure of one thing.

As of now, this rule is still in place. However, as it has what could be considered game ruining consequences, I'd like to clarify that everyone who is currently down to participate is okay with this ruling. I don't want anyone to feel cheated if they rule the case wrong and, therefore, don't get to experience the whole of the story. If you are not alright with this, I have also proposed some alternatives.

Potential options as of now in the case of a mistrial:
  1. All of the characters bar for the perpetrator and the mastermind are executed. (Default option)
  2. The person with the most votes is executed, regardless of whether or not they are innocent. (in this case, some additional rule such as "To escape, find the mastermind or get away with murder twice" would have to be implemented).
  3. No one is executed (unless guilty), but the person with the most votes is mutilated in some form or fashion and the perpetrator continues to remain a mystery (same addendum to the rules as option 2).
  4. The rule remains the same, but it would be up to the players to determine an adequate counterbalance if they don't want to all be executed at once (potentially requires the same addendum to the rules as options 2 and 3).
That being said, everything else is finished enough to start sign-ups. The sign-up thread should be up later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

I think number 2 could be a very interesting dynamic to throw in

The first options seems too harsh for an RP.

I would go with 2 or 3, having the RP potentially end after 1 trial just doesn't work too well.
I think number 2 could be a very interesting dynamic to throw in
I agree with number two would be an interesting dynamic
Alright, the votes are in. Option two it is, then! (As for the roleplay ending if the trial doesn't work out… I assume you mean systematically and not for the characters. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, then yeah. Or I could re-work the trial mechanics to make it work better in the event of catastrophic failure).

The official sign-up and discussion thread should be up later tonight, so keep an eye out for that.

Aaaand the sign-up thread is posted! We can finally get this show on the road!
https://pokecharms.com/threads/danganronpa-cold-steel-discussion.19847/
Sorry if you've gotten tagged already and you've received like three alerts; all of them for this thread. Tags have been finicky for me in the past so I'm trying to make sure it goes through.
Also, yes, I know the name is a bit corny, but it'll make sense once the actual role play goes up, I promise.