• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Danganronpa/Murder mystery RP interest check

Normally I'd just make the thread and hope that people sign up after I write up an introduction to the plot, but I want to see if anyone is even interested first because—if it were to stay somewhat true to the game—a role play would be somewhat difficult to pull off.

I recognise that a lot of roleplays in the general thread tend to sway towards using an established universe as their setting as opposed to setting it in an original fiction universe, making it hard for users not familiar with the source content to understand what's happening. I'm going to try to avoid that here by simply basing it upon the Danganronpa series, including only the bare-bones canonical elements. On that note, if you have absolutely no idea what Danganronpa is but are interested anyway, feel free to join in. This is essentially a murder mystery role play set in a high school (or at least the characters are high schoolers). If anything on this thread doesn't make sense due to usage of game-specific terminology, let me know so I can re-word it. (All of this being said, spoilers for the canon storylines are to be avoided).

The contents of the spoilers might be a bit word-heavy (the introduction to this was fairly wordy too, oops), so here's the short version of what I plan for this to be if you don't want to read them.
  • "Dungeon master" style approach to running the setting
  • Primarily character-driven plot with occasional story progression posts
  • Certain details left intentionally vague IC and OOC as to lead to murder mystery style speculation
  • A fairly long-running story that will require roleplayers to stay committed for a greater span of time.
  • "Rule/mechanic based" roleplay to keep the story moving

The stuff in the spoilers below go into more detail (as well as list some potential complications), but that's the gist of it.

• I will be the "DM," of sorts, for this game and control Monokuma (or a similar sort of semi-omniscient character) as well as describe the setting. I may control a student character as well for all of the down time between major story events, but that would involve you guys having to trust that I don't metagame.
  • The mastermind will either be randomly picked or on a first come, first serve basis (who ever sends me a PM asking to be first; it'd be a bit too obvious if I also played the mastermind as will, after all).
  • After a few days, I'll introduce a motive for everyone to react to (even if it's just saying "Wow, that's stupid. Who cares." and leaving the gym to go play video games or something).
  • After everyone has replied and a bit of time has passed (maybe an IRL week) I'll randomly select a player to carry out a murder and a player to be murdered (myself included in both of these, if I make a character). I'll open up a private convo with those people and they can decide how the murder was carried out and what evidence was left behind.
  • For investigations, I'll write out a description for the contents of the rooms where potential evidence may be found. Role players will write an IC post exploring the area(s) in order to gather evidence, and can then try to piece together what may have happened both IC and OOC. (This system is a bit shaky, but I'm not yet sure of an alternative).
  • The trial will last for a day/whatever amount of time is agreed on, and players can debate among one another over who did it/ask Monokuma questions (within reason). The next day, everyone will cast a vote. I'll tally the votes and if the majority votes on the culprit, only they are executed and the rest of the cast continues the roleplay. If not, everyone is executed except for the perpetrator and the mastermind (this might have to be changed otherwise it could be a pretty short roleplay if everyone gets it wrong the first try, but hey, all in the spirit of the game).
  • Number of roleplayers: While the Danganronpa games have a cast of sixteen students, that's fairly unrealistic for a roleplay on a forum that isn't Danganronpa based (and/or may not have much interest at all). A bare minimum number would have to be six people (two murders and then the remaining players can try to escape, any number above that would enhance the experience), but even that might be asking a lot. Unfortunately, any less than that and the game would be pretty much impossible to run and/or would be incredibly short.
  • Character death: Obviously, everyone would have to give kill perms for their character, which some people might not be willing to do.
  • Metagaming: Generally, role players on this site are good with this (I've only had a couple problems in the nearly two years I've been on here), but it'd kind of suck to have someone immediately call out the murderer/mastermind in a trial setting just because they found out OOC who it was. This one has a pretty easy solution (using PMs for stuff that other characters wouldn't know), but if someone still manages to find out OOC, this is important.
  • Charms as a platform: This kind of ties into the metagaming problem, as there will only be one main roleplaying thread (with OOC matters discussed within PMs) which may make it difficult to distinguish what posts are only supposed to be between two characters, therefore making figuring out who the culprit is easier from an OOC standpoint. A solution is to use a mass amalgam of PMs for private conversations between a few players with only actions accessible to everyone posted within the main thread, but this might be too cumbersome. However, this would make it interesting in that players could quote evidence from their conversations during trials, and those who don't have evidence to quote could just as easily type whatever they wanted in the quote box.
  • Staying committed: A role play like this would have a fairly set format for the flow of the plot, but it won't really work as well if one of the role players just drops off the face of the earth. I guess a solution to this would be to let me know if you no longer want to participate so I can have someone murder your character, but that's a pretty subpar way to fix it, at best.

The basic plot is kind of bare bones (x number of students are trapped in [location] and the only means of escape is to commit murder and get away with it), so the majority of story building would be done via character interactions. (Obviously there will be an overarching plot, but the characters' actions affect this). I do have some ideas on how to make this a more unique concept/a different setting, as well as some plans for possible branch endings, but I don't want to flesh them out too much if no one aside from myself shows any interest.

Have I lost you yet?
Yes? Understandable, I'll explain anything in better detail if need be.
No? Great!

This might be a little bit ambitious, I know, but would anyone be interested? If not, is there a way I could mould it into a better concept? (Additionally, if you have ideas on how to run it better please let me know. I'm open to suggestions).

Sorry for the kind of late reply, I honestly didn't expect to get any response to this after it had been out for a few days and, consequentially, pushed closer to the bottom of the page.

Thank you! It's nice to see that someone else thinks this is a decent idea. However, on this thread, I'm mostly just looking for constructive criticism or alternative ideas so I can run this on a more polished system/see if anyone would join if I were to work out the kinks and write up a plot. That being said, if you have any feedback or know anyone else who might be interested (although you seem to be a new user, so you might not. Welcome to Charms, by the way), please let me know/tag them here.

This looks like something I would enjoy being apart of. I’ve never checked out the Danganronpa series before but the way you explained it made me interested. It seems like it would be a really interactive RP that has actual stakes in it. Not that other RPs don’t have stakes but when you sign up for this, you’re going into it knowing that your character can die and it will be fair game. Considering that most Rpers would want to keep their characters alive, it would actually make us have too dedicate our time into thinking and interacting with others rather just leaving it for someone else to figure it out.

One thing I will say about one of your concerns is that even if we find out who did it OOC, though it could kill the suspense for us, our characters still won’t know the information. I would have faith that us the rpers could write in a way where the suspense is still there for our characters and readers. Also, can’t we use a discussion thread as well, for everyone to interact? If people still want to discuss that privately, then they could still PM.

Overall, I think this could work well if we get a good amount of dedicated and interactive Rpers. I don’t mind the game mechanics and it would be funny but sad at the same time if we don’t catch the culprit. :D

Just seeing the amount of thought you put into this is also admirable so yeah, nice stuff :up:

Last edited:
Thank you for clicking on this anyway despite having no idea what Danganronpa is, I tried my best to make it interesting for those who haven't heard of the franchise. I definitely think the randomly chosen character death adds a sense of risk to joining in because, as you said, no one wants their character to die.
One thing I will say about one of your concerns is that even if we find out who did it OOC, though it could kill the suspense for us, our characters still won’t know the information. I would have faith that us the rpers could write in a way where the suspense is still there for our characters and readers. Also, can’t we use a discussion thread as well, for everyone to interact? If people still want to discuss that privately, then they could still PM.
Yes, I completely agree with this. As (I think) I said in the main post, I'm not too concerned with this. I'd like to try to keep certain things private (discussed OOC via PM) but if it does get out, I'm confident that rpers will write for their character and not for themselves. In my nearly two years on Charms I've only had a couple of metagaming issues, all of which were either done by new members and/or were minor and completely unintentional. Having said that, I do like to keep some things a mystery, but I completely agree that it isn't too much of a problem.

As for a discussion thread, I will absolutely make one if/when this roleplays gets off the ground. I honestly can't see a way to run this solely off of the main roleplay post and a couple of PMs. I do think it's a good idea to make some PMs optional, so that some information can be private while other information remains public, yet at the discretion of the players rather than me saying "hey if you have a conversation you'd better do it in a pm otherwise it ruins atmosphere!!1!".
Some PMs I do think are necessary though for organizational purposes, because it's much easier to open a chat with the culprit and victim and say "Hey guys, let's discuss how this went down so I can write out evidence" rather than just announcing it on the main discussion thread and hoping only the people involved respond.

Some PMs I do think are necessary though for organizational purposes, because it's much easier to open a chat with the culprit and victim and say "Hey guys, let's discuss how this went down so I can write out evidence" rather than just announcing it on the main discussion thread and hoping only the people involved respond.
Yeah, I agree with what you’re saying here. It would be weird and kill the suspense if everyone could see who the culprit was from the start.

Also, glad to see Shen here lel

Shen: King of Digimon

Previously Shen: King of the Mist
Lel I have no idea what traits you guys are talking about. But it sounds interesting though. :D

You see, in danganronpa, each student had an ultimate talent that gave them an attribute to work with. Such as the ultimate nurse, ultimate chef, ultimate survivalist, ultimate gymnast to name a few. These traits could potentially be useful in cases or to keep them alive.

Fire Mana

Previously Top_Smug_
You see, in danganronpa, each student had an ultimate talent that gave them an attribute to work with. Such as the ultimate nurse, ultimate chef, ultimate survivalist, ultimate gymnast to name a few. These traits could potentially be useful in cases or to keep them alive.

Which is exactly why I want them lol

They would add a nice element of survival and potential strategy to some cases.

Question though, will every character have a role or specialty like in the anime/games?
As in talents? I sencerley hope so! It wouldn’t be danganronpa without it haha
Yes! Talents will absolutely be a thing. My restrictions are probably going to be no SHSL good/bad luck, SHSL ???, or reserve course students. Everything else will be fair game, though. Go hog wild, make your character interesting.
If there is an anime for this then I think I may watch it because it does sound really interesting.
There is, although I personally liked the games a lot more.

ohoho, yes.

I did a roleplay kind of like this a while back, probably almost a year ago now, and it’s honestly been one of my favorite roleplays to participate in and look back on- that being said, i’d love to join.
However,, I’ve been pretty inactive here lately, and as much as I want to get back into the flow of the website, I am kinnndaa worried about the commitment aspect.. with school coming back up, I might not have enough time to post until evening.. so my posting time will be extremely limited.

With that in mind, if you’ll have me, i’d love to be a part of the crew! who can resist a good ol’ murder mystery?~

However,, I’ve been pretty inactive here lately, and as much as I want to get back into the flow of the website, I am kinnndaa worried about the commitment aspect.. with school coming back up, I might not have enough time to post until evening.. so my posting time will be extremely limited.
I completely understand. School is back in session for me as well, which makes posting a lesser priority (although for me this just means certain progression posts will be typed up ahead of time and edited accordingly to reflect any player actions).
But I wouldn't worry too much about not being to post extremely often some of the time. Major plot events that require a lot of responses (such as trials) will be scheduled on a date that everyone can be active.

The way things are looking now, we almost have enough people to start this up. One more person would be the bare minimum (that would be if I participate with a character as well), with any more than that meaning that the roleplay will be longer-running and more interesting. So if you guys know anyone who might be interested, feel free to tag them.

Paeon Kanetsu

Previously Markus Daymo
Although... I’m worried.

College is starting in about a week and I want to participate. I’ll try my hardest but if I can’t, I’ll PM you to have me as the next victim.

Also, would we control one, or more than one character?
Only one character per person; I know the games have a roster of sixteen students per class, but if everyone were to have multiple characters in order to meet that quota I'd have to do some re-working to the system (plus, it doesn't make sense to have two characters in a class trial. You'd just be arguing with yourself).

Crimson Sun

Previously Crims0n
i personally would say we can have multiple persona’s

If we had one character per se, each post wold be dramatically short. Not every post, but i’m especially talking about the trial. Those posts would be extremely short, especially during a rebuttal, a counter argument, or really an argument itself.

Basically, your character would say.
“I say so and so.”

But the OC wouldn’t really have much else to say. They would be waiting for another roleplayer to respond to continue the argument.

And another scenario would be, if your character dies off, what would the rp-er be doing if the character died? Would they just be officially out of the roleplay and just become an observer? what if they still wanted to be in the roleplay?

Last edited:

If we had one character per se, each post wold be dramatically short. Not every post, but i’m especially talking about the trial. Those posts would be extremely short, especially during a rebuttal, a counter argument, or really an argument itself.

“I say so and so.”

But the OC wouldn’t really have much else to say. They would be waiting for another roleplayer to respond to continue the argument.

And another scenario would be, if your character dies off, would would the roleplay be doing if the character died? Would they just be officially out of the roleplay and just become an observer? what if they still wanted to be in the roleplay?

Not to mention if nominated to be the killed, then they wouldn’t be able to Roleplay at all

“I say so and so.”

And another scenario would be, if your character dies off, would would the roleplay be doing if the character died? Would they just be officially out of the roleplay and just become an observer? what if they still wanted to be in the roleplay?
Not to mention if nominated to be the killed, then they wouldn’t be able to Roleplay at all
I see both of your points, and truthfully, I don't yet have a proper solution to this. As of right now, the concept of this RP is that everyone goes into it knowing that there's a chance that their character might be offed and they are out of the game. However, that would mean that the first one to die wouldn't be able to participate in a single trial (hence the current addendum of players who no longer want to participate taking priority over the randomiser on the subject of having their characters killed off). I personally feel having multiple characters takes away from this, but I do see your point.
As for trial posts being short, you're right about that as well. You can of course describe your character's actions and/or actions that previously happened in order to prove your alibi, but that doesn't help much if you're just standing at a podium, for the most part. However, having multiple characters doesn't really solve this either, as it would just be multiple one-liners instead of just one. Additionally, trials are supposed to encourage interaction between players, not just interaction between two of the player's own characters while the person tries to figure everything out themselves.

I see both of your points, and truthfully, I don't yet have a proper solution to this. As of right now, the concept of this RP is that everyone goes into it knowing that there's a chance that their character might be offed and they are out of the game. However, that would mean that the first one to die wouldn't be able to participate in a single trial (hence the current addendum of players who no longer want to participate taking priority over the randomiser on the subject of having their characters killed off). I personally feel having multiple characters takes away from this, but I do see your point.
As for trial posts being short, you're right about that as well. You can of course describe your character's actions and/or actions that previously happened in order to prove your alibi, but that doesn't help much if you're just standing at a podium, for the most part. However, having multiple characters doesn't really solve this either, as it would just be multiple one-liners instead of just one. Additionally, trials are supposed to encourage interaction between players, not just interaction between two of the player's own characters while the person tries to figure everything out themselves.

Well I suggest whoever is dominated to die in a pm must not know who their killer is. I say that the host (you) should be the middle man negotiating between them, that way even that role player doesn’t know who killed them, so their oc’s Don’t have an edge

Well I suggest whoever is dominated to die in a pm must not know who their killer is. I say that the host (you) should be the middle man negotiating between them, that way even that role player doesn’t know who killed them, so their oc’s Don’t have an edge
That definitely would work. However, I still feel it takes away some risk of losing your character. I suppose the solution to this is to have an option to control up to two characters, so it's the player's choice as to whether they want to stay longer in the RP with a lesser chance of completely dying or put all stakes on one character. Does that sound alright?

Paeon Kanetsu

Previously Markus Daymo
Well, I’d personally only like one OC in the killing game.

As I said, college is starting soon so I want to participate while being able to leave if time gets too busy.

Hmmmm maybe the killer can PM you and choose?
That was my original idea, but I feel it might lead to people picking characters because they dislike the player rather than it making sense that their character would choose to kill off said character. Plus, it renders the whole "I need to leave the roleplay, can you kill off my character?" null.

Crimson Sun

Previously Crims0n
So what exactly is your plan for this to be pulled off well
including number of OCs, how to pick victims and murderers, and restrictions and anything?

So what exactly is your plan for this to be pulled off well
including number of OCs, how to pick victims and murderers, and restrictions and anything?
Most of my plan is detailed in the first post (in the game mechanics spoiler*), but a few things have been added due to discussion in the thread:
  • Each roleplayer may have up to two characters, when sign ups are closed, the number of characters will determine how long the plot goes on for (number of trials, amount of new areas I have to create, etc).
  • There are few restrictions in terms of character creation (so far they are just talent restrictions), but the characters themselves will have a set of rules they have to follow if they don't want to risk death of their character.
  • Any player may contact me before the start of the game to request to be the mastermind, and said person will collaborate with me on certain plot points involving their character. If multiple people contact me, I will randomly roll to see who gets the role.
  • Both the victim and culprit are determined using a random number generator, unless a player specifically asks for their character to be killed off due to OOC responsibilities or lack of interest in the roleplay.
  • Both the victim and culprit will be contacted seperately after the roll and will talk with me to determine how the murder was carried out and what evidence was left behind.
  • Investigation will last from the time of the murder to the time of the trial (most likely 1-3 days IRL). Rooms will be described in a point-and-click manner on an alternate website as to not clog up the thread.
  • Any roleplayer will need to describe their character exploring any given area during an investigation if they wish to use that information. They then may ask the GM (me) additional questions about the area or specific objects.
  • The trial will start on (or at least contain at least one) day when all of the players are free and will last 72 IRL hours.
  • The last 24 hours of the trial will be dedicated to voting and the execution of the character who receives the most votes (regardless of whether or not they are actually the culprit).
I think that covers most of it, if there's anything I missed feel free to ask about that.

EDIT: I didn't mention how investigations would be carried out. That's fixed now.
EDIT 2: Changed trial time from 24 hours to 72 hours and clarified how the time is broken up. Also added the fact that players need to make a post describing the specific area they explored during an investigation before they can use that information, because apparently I suck at detailing how investigations work.
EDIT 3: Changed the rules regarding what happens in the case of a mistrial (now only the person with the most votes is executed instead of the entire remaining cast).

* As of the first edit, the information in the original post is outdated. This is now the most up to date information on how the game is run.

Last edited: