• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Creating A Competitive Pokemon Team, Any Advice?

I am working on trying to create a competitive team for Pokemon X and Y. I am trying to breed a perfect (or at least a near perfect) Squirtle (Blastoise). I have managed to get most of the way done with the breeding (IV's in HP, ATK, DEF, SPATK, SPDEF) and am just working on getting that combination with the right nature (going for Quiet, or possibly Serious/Hardy). The egg move I have is Mirror Coat. I was wondering what EVs I should train in, as well as what other moves to include.

Possible Move Sets:

Move Set 1:
Surf
Mirror Coat
Earthquake
Icebeam

Move Set 2:
Hydropump
Mirror Coat
Surf
Skullbash

Move Set 3:
Water-Spout (I have some pokemon I can use to breed this in)
Icebeam
Skullbash
Earthquake

Move Set 4:
Mirror Coat
Surf
Aqua Ring
Skullbash

Move Set 5:
Mirror Coat
Surf
Toxic
Icebeam

Move Set 6:
Hydropump
Surf
Skullbash
Earthquake

Also what other Pokemon should I include in a competitve team? I have a few ideas:
Alakazam (I would need to breed)
Scizor (I would need to breed)
Snorlax (I would need to breed)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Basically, we need a hell of a lot more information before we can help you - including your main intended purpose for the Blastoise, whether it'll be Mega Blastoise or not, what metagame (singles, VGC, triples, etcetera) it'll be for, and so on.

Pokemon @ Hold Item
Nature
Ability
EVs

- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

Try editing your post to follow this format - you don't need the whole thing for every move set, but list each of them separately underneath. Also, give us at least vague ideas of what the other Pokémon would do, and try to flesh them out if possible as well. A Pokémon team is just that - a team. You can have the best Blastoise in the world, but how good it'll be, and how you should build it, is very dependent on how the rest of the team is planned.

Right now, hover, I can tell you you need to read through our stickies for the most basic competitive advice:
  • Many of the move sets carry both Hydro Pump and Surf, for instance, which is pointless - you'd never need two STABs whose only difference is accuracy, power, and (in Doubles) what it hits.
  • Similarly, Skull Bash is useless, given that it locks you in for two moves (giving your opponent a free turn!) and two Dark Pulses or even Returns, as a completely random example, would do more damage and not sacrifice the second turn. For instance, Dark Pulse is 80 power, which used twice gives you 160 base power, not accounting for Mega Blastoise's Mega Launcher, or IVs, or anything like that. That's 30 more than Skull Bash, and 10 more than even Giga Impact/Hyper Beam.
  • Lastly, Mirror Coat is far too situational for effective use in my opinion, given that someone has to use a special move on you first for it to do anything. Blastoise isn't really fat enough to tank several hits consistently even if the opponent didn't have to use a special move, as far as I know.
You can find said stickies at the top of the Clinic forum, I highly recommend you read them.

What Teapot said. What kinda team do you want?
Do you want a sweep team [a team with high spd and atk/spatk that takes out opponents b4 they can move]
Do you want a Status team [high defences and HP that slowly corrupts opponents with conditions like toxic]
Do you want a double, triple, 6v6, rotational team?
As for your Blastoise moveset get rid of Hydro Pump. Its power is good but its acc stinks to high heaven. When it comes to water type moves, Scald is your BFF. 100acc, 80dmg[120 with stab], and 30% burn chance.
Also if you can breed one with the raindish ability you will be better off. [if your not mega evolving] Like Teapot said Blastoise isnt strong enough to take several hits so torrent is useless seeing as once your @ 1/3 health your pretty much done for and its too slow to count on Blastoise going first. A raindance raindish Blastoise will last longer and due to raindance effect your water moves will be boosted another 50%. Also Fire moves and more importantly Solar beam will be dmg/2
Hope I helped a little bit atleast. Tell me more about what you want and Ill get back to you.

I think adding a stat move would do good, I created an unstoppable force by learning my hydreigon work-up to increase attack and special attack. iron defence will be good to increase defence and using that to your advantage could turn blastoise into a strong wall/sweeper.

Scizor would counter blastoises weakness to grass. Along with a mega evolution to boot!

The problem is, which pokemon would you mega evolve..?