• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Create Your Own Trainer Card.... Trainer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
To go with the new tool added to the main site today, allowing anyone and everyone to create an attractive and useful Trainer Card in just 5 minutes or less, I also have a new project for anyone and everyone to get stuck into here on the forums!

As you'll notice when using the Trainer Card Creator, the list of Trainers you have to choose from is made up solely of the Trainers in Diamond/Pearl, (unfortunately, for compatability reasons, I wasn't able to include the AG trainers here due to them being of a smaller size) but it doesn't have to remain that way!

For any budding spriters out there, you can submit your own Trainer sprites to this topic and the best ones will be placed into the system for you - and everyone else - to choose and use.

Obviously, this is great for getting to use your own character's sprites in the system, but similarly, it's a great opportunity to create some unique Trainer sprites that aren't based off anything but your imagination to help build the available options up and make the service even better for yourself and others to use.

A few simple rules though:

*All sprites must be 80x80 (so obviously, using D/P trainers as a base is advisable - you can find them all in this topic: http://forums.pokecharms.com/smf/index.php?topic=1228.msg7909#msg7909)

*All images must be PNGs and MUST have a transparent background. They can be either 8-bit or 24-bit.

*The work must be your own. No stealing another person's work and posting them, they probably wouldn't be best pleased to see it up on the site without me saying dick to them.

*Anything you submit has to be something you're fine with anyone using. If you don't want to see other people creating Trainer Cards with your character's sprite in them, don't submit it.

*Anything you submit CANNOT be withdrawn.

*The judges for "best Trainers" as to which ones will be used will be the Admins obviously, AND your peers. Though if no comment is passed or if a clear decision cannot be reached, the Admins' vote is the overruling one. If the sprite is crap though, it aint being used.

That's pretty much it...

If you're viewing this after being linked here from the main site or another website and want to submit your Trainer image but DON'T have an account - this forum is now available for guests to post in so you can submit without registering if you don't want to. Hopefully you WILL want to register and stick around though - but there are obviously cases where people wont be up for it, so the option has been made available to those people.

Thanks to anyone that takes part in this project, I look forward to seeing some interesting sprites.

Hypotenuse Edit: PLEASE READ! There is a guide on making your sprites' backgrounds transparent HERE.

I have four to submit:
jeffpokemonstyle380mj7.png
jeffpokemonstyle480fr4.png
phoenixspriteqi6.png
and
mirorbvl1.png

Also, this is a sprite direct from a game, but I'd absolutely love for
hypotenusehead80iw9.png
to be included. :D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Phoenix Wright sprite ftw! XD

Your Miror B. isn't bad either. Nice sprites, TBA ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'm thinking that you should add Shiny Pokemon Sprites to the list of Pokemon to choose from.

P.S. How do mine look?

Shiny Pokemon will be available later on. The sole reason they're not in there right now is 'cos it takes HOURS to do those portraits to use in the card and I couldn't be bothered doing all 493 again just for Shinies. They'll be there eventually though.

Apparently, this system can't do names with commas because I made up a second trainer card for a made up rival for myself, I couldn't think of a name so I had her named "David's Rival" and nothing beyond the "d" was visible. So I took out the comma and the name was fine.

Erm...all my sprites are still on my old computer in an Appleworks file (so I can't switch 'em to my new, Appleworks-less MacBook), so I'll edit them in later...this is just a request (if this post is against the rules, I'll gladly delete it).

Would it be possible to put in some of the trainer sprites from some of the other games? At the very least, I would like to have the male and female hero sprites from Ruby/Sapphire, Fire Red/Leaf Green, and Emerald...since I'd like to make a Fire Red trainer card. >_< (Sorry, I don't have them uploaded to the internet.)

But I love the trainer card maker! I've used it twice already for my Diamond team! ^_^

Hm... since no one in charge has commented, shall I assume that my sprites were okay? I know they are only slightly edited from the originals and I wasn't sure if that was okay or not.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Erm, well most of us don't HAVE DP seeing as it isn't out in English yet. As for Cherrim, the closed sprite will be on its Pokedex page on Charms. I would link you, but I can't be bothered.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
O_O

Another MAR fan, eh? I'd love to see a Ginta or Alviss ^_^

Anyways, I like these, and the hippie girl. As soon as I figure out how to do transparent BGs with GIMP, I'll start posting some re-sized Advance Gen sprites. Here's hoping that the quality loss from enlarging them isn't too noticeable...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It'd probably help if you didn't save them as .jpgs. :p

Also, I have to repeat the point that all the trainers must have a transparent background.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Some great trainers guys, but again, I have to point out that they need to have a transparent BG.

I don't think Paint will let you do that, but free programs like GIMP will.

That Harley is great by the way, I'd love to see people posting more anime based trainers - and I'm sure I'm not alone.

SUGGESTION

Instead of adding every one's sprites...how bout an "i'll add my own trainer" choice leaving the trainer spot blank? Easy for you and us (if we frequently change our spirtes....)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
A) Because it leaves the option open to abuse, and would have to be moderated
B) Because a lot of custom trainers are absolute keck.

I feel this is the definite best solution.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
SUGGESTION

Instead of adding every one's sprites...how bout an "i'll add my own trainer" choice leaving the trainer spot blank? Easy for you and us (if we frequently change our spirtes....)

If people are trying to add trainer sprites with no transparent BG you can just imagine how ugly they'd make the cards look ^^;

A) Because it leaves the option open to abuse, and would have to be moderated
B) Because a lot of custom trainers are absolute keck.

I feel this is the definite best solution.

Oh. Right...

[quote author=Linkachu link=topic=1379.msg12959#msg12959 date=1174220581]
If people are trying to add trainer sprites with no transparent BG you can just imagine how ugly they'd make the cards look ^^;
[/quote]

Mhmm. Silly people.

Oh and btw....If anyone would like sprites but has no abbility to make them...I'll take request via PM or IM.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Don't worry about it too much. If worst comes to worst, I offer my time to edit the chosen sprites with transparent BGs (or Oakster can do it himself. Whichever).

I have a request. DP-style Ash. Heck, even RS-style Ash would be nice. Gotta love boy-wonder ^^

Edit: Forgot to mention it:
Tauros Trainer:
3zkjmo3.png

That one I like, as it reminds me of the Lucario suit in Battle Rev. More of these with a variety of Pokemon would be nice ^^

E

Eevee Lover

OK, will try an Ash. I was wondering if he'd come up. Well I made myself a Trainer Card that I'll post here to.

Last edited by a moderator:
If either of these are accepted I'll give them transparent backgrounds. ^_^

LittleGirl.png
Girl that looks like she's been laminated.
GuyTrainerDPStyle2.png
This one was too large so I had to shrink it a bit and now it looks a little funny.

Also;

AshRevampDPTrans.gif
This is an Ash revamp I did a while ago by request but it's so small it'd probably look weird on the cards. :p

E

Eevee Lover

2a777ft.png

Here's my Ash! By the way, that other Ash was on another site, I saw it awhile ago. So there's a copy-er for you guys! I know mine isn't that good, but oh well.

You probably saw it either on PE2k, Pokemon RPG, or Pokemon Valley (unless I'm forgetting one). If you didn't, then they are the thief. Check before accusing someone of stealing, I don't appreciate it.

B

Bren-Bren

Yeah. This trainer card thing rocks but I'd like maybe some Older game sprites and Pokémorph options. :(

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah. This trainer card thing rocks but I'd like maybe some Older game sprites and Pokémorph options. :(

Advance gen sprites are on the way. They should all be available with the next trainer update (or most of 'em at least).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think you understand the point of this tool.

Of course there's no 'personality' - it's automatic and computer-generated, and there's a limit to just how much you can customize things via code. Which means it should be appreciated for what it is. I'm assuming Alex did a hell of a lot of coding work to get this bloody remote copy-pasting to work.

Worry not, though. This tool won't leave all the bored 'trainer-card-shop-ists' on without a line of work. Although, frankly, these people are a dime a dozen in places like Serebii, and thinning the herd to the point that only the people that make GOOD trainer cards will survive in the field would only do good to. Survival of the fittest, ya know.

I'm glad that you're happy with your own personal trainer card. I've seen better, but I've also seen worse. Besides, think about this: In an actual physical PokéMon World, you wouldn't get much of a choice on customizing your trainer card. You'd get a standard issue trainer card, colorless, artless, anything you said. Because, there would be a million other trainers out there, and no one would have the time or would give a damn enough to customize your specific card. I suppose there will be people that will make fancier trading cards later on, but that would obviously cost you.

Granted, I prefer doing my own trainer-card-work myself and customize my cards to death. That's fine. But a lot of people don't have the time or energy to do it, and want to jump in on the trainer-card-bandwagon easily, without waiting for some person they don't know to take - or not take - a request from them. And that's what things like this are for.

In other words, kindly do not whine about it. The end.

And physical Trainer Cards would be awesome, but how would they be generated, via the code of the games? >>

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
...no shinies...

[quote author=Doctor Oak link=topic=1379.msg12747#msg12747 date=1173707793]
Shiny Pokemon will be available later on. The sole reason they're not in there right now is 'cos it takes HOURS to do those portraits to use in the card and I couldn't be bothered doing all 493 again just for Shinies. They'll be there eventually though.
[/quote]

>>

And I agree with Stel. The whole point of an automated system like this is that it's accessible to everyone, namely the people who don't know how to make their own cards nor want to bother someone else with the task, can't be arsed to make one, or just want them now. If you want a custom card, all the power to you, but not everyone cares that much. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Please don't post your Trainer Cards in this thread, this topic is for submitting trainer sprites and discussion of the system only.

*deletes previous posts*

T

trainer adam

how do you get to make the trainer cards :'( I'm dieing to know

Status
Not open for further replies.