• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Conventions/Expos

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
datetime.jpg

I'm hitting that one on the Sunday! :D

Did anyone else attend - or still plan to attend - a convention or expo this summer? Can be any type of convention you can think of. ^^

Curse my laziness in the fact that I was totally going to make this thread! lol

Anyways I finally went to my first convention this year at the beginning of August and it happened to be Gen Con Indy, the biggest gaming convention in the world! If it is a boardgame, rpg, tcg, or miniatures game, you can bet your ass there is more than likely some kind of representation of it SOMEWHERE at the event. I was much more interested in the Dungeons & Dragons side of it as the company who puts it out (Wizards of the Coast) also showcases their major yearly releases and also talk about upcoming products and the like.

So highlights of the con happened to be meeting R. A. Salvatore and getting a pic with him after his seminar (which was phenomenal), getting to see the new product line for D&D and hearing all about it from the people who actually wrote/designed the new stuff, playing some very amusing and interesting boardgames and such with random people, and finally getting to meet Ryan Sohmer and Lar DeSouza, the writer and artist respectively, of LICD/LFG fame! That last one completely made the con for me considering I finally got to see the craziness of Sohmer in action which netted me every single one of their books, plus three CAD books for only $100 (normal price for all of them is around $240ish) and the ensuing hilarity after their product manager came out to find out what shady deals Sohmer was pulling.

Oh.. and best picture ever!
IMG_0151.jpg

Lar on the left and Ryan on the right doing the traditional 'hump the fan' pose.

I am one of the thousands of people who went to Fanexpo, but I didn't meet Linkachu there because.....
Not sure!
But I am sure that a lot of people are demanding refunds after waiting in line for four hours and then not being allowed in.

Fanexpo is the biggest convention I go to and it's basically the end of my convention season (unless not). Typically I also go to Anime North, TFCon, and any fan events Hobbystar has.
Who knew there were things to go to in Canada?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
For some reason, Eurogamer didn't see fit to hold a Leeds expo this year, and I'm in Belfast the weekend of the London one (not to mention already having to go down to London the weekend afterwards anyway), so I'm pretty much boned out of that now.

I may make a point next year of actually going to London Games Week when I should hopefully be a bit more flexible for that kind of thing, but honestly, it's normally just business and careers stuff and very little to actually get involved in.

I'm a straight white male who doesn't have delusions that the sun shines out of every Japanese man's arse, so I don't do anime conventions - but I wouldn't mind a look around a comic convention some time, I guess.

It's just a pity that being in the UK means we don't get things like the Las Vegas Star Trek convention (with enough actual Star Trek people there to weigh down the serious levels of nerdliness from people just dressed up as Klingons) or the American Comic-Con that always has plenty of big comic, movie and even game reveals.

What do we get? A small convention with a bunch of 5-7 month old demos getting rather creaky and worn down from being milled around the world after E3 and about as much atmosphere as the moon. And it's at the wrong end of the country. Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: