• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Collect any comic/manga series'?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Focusing on collectors here, so doesn't really count if you solely read your comics/manga online. Sorry folks :p

Anyways... I'm a comic collector. I've been buying various different comic series' for years - since I was a little kid - and now most of what I avidly collect are graphic novels. Some things I buy are one-off, but most are generally decent length series'.

In the past I avidly collected the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic series. Between me and my older sister, we probably had a good 90-100 issues of it. After awhile, though, it became harder to find... and less catching... so we finally gave up on it. After that, most of what I started collecting was manga. I bought a lot of random stuff, but the one I actually followed was Pokemon Adventures. My sister on the other hand collected Dragon Ball (just DB, not Z). Later on, I started collecting Shonen Jump but stopped at about the 15th or so issue. Just didn't have the spare money, or time, to keep up with it.

Now... everything is graphic novels for me. The one series I followed that ended is MAR: Marchen Awakens Romance. All of my others are still on-going or new: Negima! (which I'm a bit behind on, but have volumes 1-18 or so), Dragon Drive (REALLY behind in it), Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventure (pretty fun read for a Pokemon comic), Kingdom Hearts II (already bought the original KH and CoM volumes), The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (just picked up vol. 2), and now Pokemon Adventures. Again. It's just that good XD

I started a bit into Bleach (own vol. 1-4) but that series is fucking HUGE. Too large for me to get into when I'm still following Negima!, and the Bleach Anime series is good enough for me. Keri (aka. Dragodden) also gave me the first volume of Kaze no Hikaru, and as soon as something else I'm collecting ends I plan to buy into it. I did find something interesting at Indigo (aka. Chapters) yesterday, though...

Zelda graphic novels :O

I didn't even know they existed! Considering I've only properly beaten LttP (never any of the others), this is pretty nice, and I'll be sure to collect 'em all as they come. So, now I've got Ocarina of Time volumes 1-2, and Majora's Mask. Not sure what the quality of them is, but it's LoZ. That's enough for me XP

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I've collected and read the entire Love Hina series. It's definitely the best manga series I've read thus far - it's unbelivably gripping when it really kicks off and I recommend it to anyone who has yet to read it.

I'm currently collecting Negima!, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Bleach. Negima is nowhere near as good as Love Hina, which is a shame considering they were made by the same author. Yu-Gi-Oh! and Bleach I'm sure need no explaination - both series are jam-packed with action (sort of, in Yu-Gi-Oh!'s case,) and are well worth checking out for anyone who has yet to do so. Negima! is the one I'm focusing on most at the moment, as I currently own Volumes 1-21 excluding Volume 18, which I've yet to find anywhere.

I've started collecting the volumes of the Fruits Basket series, in order. So far, I have 1-6, and 7 is coming in the mail. I cannot wait to read it.

In addition, I do read a series called The Time Guardian, which is interesting, but hard to find. I only have the first volume. I do want to find the first volumes of Naruto, Absolute Boyfriend, and Fullmetal Alchemist at my library, but people have been stealing them.

I collect Shonen jump mag, since I'm subscribed, lol...but I'm gonna wait for the Naruto series to be over so I can by a box set of all the books. I'm gonna collect the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventures..I bought Vol 1 the other day.I like Mitsumi better than Dawn... Anyway, I collect Bleach, and am going to start collecting Bobobo and SPiral..I only have vol 1 of Spiral, and I loved the anime, so I'm wondering why the hell I don't have the others.

Yay! Topic for meee! I have a closet full with two custom-made shelves FOR manga. (I made them myself! ;D

I must own thousands of dollars worth of manga it actually boggles the mind.. what if there were a fire?! I've finished collections such as Love Hina, Tail of the Moon and Buso Renken, and have a list of manga I stay up-to-date on with most recent releases. Right now those include Love Attack, Kaze Hikaru (BEST EVER

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Huh... I've watched Love Hina, but I never realized the manga was that good. I love Negima! for all of the character development/interactions, the plots, the artwork, and the magic elements (I find them very well done). Is Love Hina really that much better overall? I'd never abandon Negima! for it, but I would highly consider buying into it as well. I just really enjoy that guy's work. :X

Read Kaze Hikaru, Katie!! *snarl*

I will! D: ... Someday soon hopefully ^^;;

I've only collected two manga series and that's Fruits Basket and Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances. With Fruits Basket, I'm one volume away from completing my collection of the English volumes. With Kare Kano, I can't even find them anywhere, so I can't complete the series at all which is a shame.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm currently collecting Naruto: Shippuuden, which I'm up to date with. I have all of the Naruto Graphic Novels and almost all of the DBZ Novels... I think I'm weirdly just missing volumes 1 and 3 XD

I have Full Metal Alchemist up to volume 14, not too sure why I stopped collecting that because it's an awesome series. I guess I just focused on Naruto, which has to be by favourite series by far.

I also have volume 1-5 of Hellsing and 1-13 of DragonBall. I stopped collecting Hellsing because I got bored I think... that or I just didn't like the direction the story was heading in. Lastly, I have a couple of Trigun Novels, which I didn't really enjoy and Gundam Wing: Ground Zero

Dragodden, your collection and storage sounds awesome XD

I don't find Love Hina and Negima to be comparable. Aside from the fact that the same author made it, the art style is the same, and there is that constant presence of fan-service, they're very different. I very much enjoyed the series. I like Ken Akamatsu's stuff.. so yes. I would recommend buying it all eventually. There are 16 volumes, I believe. ^___^

I forgot to mention that I also collect Marvel comics. Mainly Spiderman, though I do have a few more including The Incredible Hulk.

Edit: Thanks Magpie! I feel like I'm bragging, though. I give you permission to slap me. One day I'll upload a pic of my closet.

I don't collect comics, but I read them on the internet. I have read most of the Zelda manga comics, there are ones for almost every Zelda game, especially the 4 sword and Wind Waker ones. Along with the manga for the R/B/G and Yellow arc. And what was avalible of the G/S arc, I plan to keep up to date with it once they are updated again, I'm still trying to find a way to get a hold of the D/P manga, since it sounds hilarious.

I usually read whatever magna I can get my hands on. Mostly what's in my public library. They have a couple Kingdom Hearts magnas and a Sailor Moon one. I own a few graphic novels called Serinity. It's just a christian magna Mom found in the clearance bin. I also have a few Ted Decker Graphic Novels. It's a lot better actually seeing the blood instead of imagining it. ;D

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
When it ran as I was a child, I collected (The -proper- UK) Sonic The Comic (and now keep going with the fan-made Online continuation), and used to pick up the Beano and Dandy every week too.

But now I also collect a lot of Marvel comics - specifically the Ultimate line, got quite a full collection of Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, The Ultimates and a few mini-series like the Ultimate Galactus trilogy. Pretty much the only series I haven't bothered with is Ultimate Fantastic 4, purely 'cos they don't grab my attention half as much as any of the other series.

I also have the complete collection of DeathNote, pretty much the only manga I'm really interested in outside of Pokemon Adventures/Special. (Which I also have a few of).

Other than that, I tend to just pick up the odd graphic novel or whatever. Recently I picked up Watchmen and the Star Trek Countdown prequel to the new movie - but I've also begun collecting the hard-cover releases of the brilliant Angel: After the Fall this year, and really have to recommend it to any Angel fan.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
... but I've also begun collecting the hard-cover releases of the brilliant Angel: After the Fall this year, and really have to recommend it to any Angel fan.

Do want. I always planned on buying into that collection, too, so picking up the hard-cover releases seems like a good way to go.

Still need to get the Ultimate collections you suggested to me ages ago, too, lol.

I'm completely jealous of you with more of the Zelda manga than me..So far I only have Oracle of Ages, and part 2 of Ocarina of Time =< I needz moar.

But anyways, I also collect Chobits. =D

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
One thing I forgot was that I also collect the awesome Penny Arcade volumes. Sadly, it's been over a year since the last one and no sign of another one on the horizon yet... :/

Annoyingly, the one place I routinely got manga from closed down a few years back so I don't realy buy it so much anymore. When it was open I finished the .hack //Lengend of the Twilight and Eerie Queerie series, but at three and four volumes respectively, that's hardly an achivement.

I'm currently trying to get the Sandman series, but Dave's in Brighton is the closest place that stocks it and I don't go to Brighton very often. I've got a few volumes of Megatokyo, but those are proving hard to find, but I just can't be bothered to read it online.

Waterstone's is a great book store (emphasis on 'book') but its manga collection leaves a lot to be desired and its comic section only ever seems to have volume 5 of any given series. Unless it happens to be film-of-the-month, in which case they have 57 of say, Batman.

Well, I was only able to get four of the mangas. Both parts to Ocarina of Time (which I would say is my favourite story and art), Oracle of the Ages and Oracle of the seasons. I need to find me a copy of Majora's mask. Apparently, the manga is a continuation AFTER Ocarina of Time. Was this a fact for the game as well? I never did buy that one.. I hate time limits, and as it is one giant time limit of death I figured the game'd stress me out.

I have almost every Full Metal Alchemist manga made lol. I used to love going to barns and nobles and reading them and then buying them so that i can read them some more.

I collected the whole Love Hina series I had a little (and by that I mean huge) obsession with it landing me with all the dvds and the GBA game (which is in Japanese so I cant play it) any ways, also Legal Drug, Onegai Teacher (Please Teacher in English), A.I. Love You, Comic Party, and of course Pokemon Adventures!!! And I think thats it.

I'm colleting at the moment astonishing Spiderman, have been so for the past couple of years, I collected ultimate Spiderman and X-men until the stop printing it in the uk, I also colleted the doctor battle in times mag until smiths stop selling it. Oh and I have nearly every issues of sonic the comic somewhere, I'm only missing like 60-70 of the 400 comics lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I don't really collect manga frequently, but will always try to get some of my favorites when I see them. Like Shounen Jump, Shoujo Beat, and Ranma 1/2...actually, that makes up most of my collection anyhow xD

I'm currently trying to get the Sandman series

There we go, I was hoping someone would say it. I've got the whole set and love it dearly.

I've also dabbled in other graphic novels like Maus and The Rabbi's Cat, but I can't say I've collected any other proper comic book series, like The Sandman.

I'm collecting the Naruto, InuYasha, Vampire Knight, Death Note, and Legend of Zelda manga. I'd like to start Pokemon Adventures too, when I'm able.

What I Own:
Naruto: volumes 1 to 11
InuYasha: volumes 15 to 25
Vampire Knight: volumes 1 to 6
Death Note: volumes 1 to 4
Zelda: Both OOT volumes, Oracle of Seasons, and Majora's Mask

Shounen Jump is my favorite kind of manga.